HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Morgan Rielly Looks Ready

Closed Thread

Old
10-04-2013, 11:52 AM
will13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Enforcer View Post
He's called a blue chipper for a reason. Coming back from a very serious injury in junior also showed character. The Leafs will be patient and Rielly will be a future Leaf leader.

He's ready. But now that the audition is over he needs to be a bit more selective when choosing when to take offensive risks. That comes with experience though.

I'm excited to give Rielly a chance, not expecting a superstar performance but I wanna see what this kid can do!

But I do think after nine games please send this kid back. Think long term.
Rielly's actually very good at sensing when to attack and when not too. He's not a reckless player in that regard, he's a more judicious player that way.

Old
10-04-2013, 11:53 AM
Twist and Shout

Time to strut his stuff.

Old
10-04-2013, 12:37 PM
Silver91
Agent 0091

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwitch View Post
Could Rielly be the next captain after Phaneuf? I know it's early to say, but I think he has captain written all over him.

Of course it's too early to say, besides the fact Rielly hasn't played a game yet and we have no idea if he'll even come close to his potential (yes, we'd all love for it to happen, but there's still a chance he becomes something much less than we hope for), Phaneuf isn't going anywhere any time soon, and even if he was, Rielly definitely wouldn't be ready to be captain anyways...

Old
10-04-2013, 12:42 PM
samwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quik View Post

Of course it's too early to say, besides the fact Rielly hasn't played a game yet and we have no idea if he'll even come close to his potential (yes, we'd all love for it to happen, but there's still a chance he becomes something much less than we hope for), Phaneuf isn't going anywhere any time soon, and even if he was, Rielly definitely wouldn't be ready to be captain anyways...
Haha, I'm not talking later this year or something. I like Phaneuf and depending on how contract negotiations go, he could be here a long time. Just seems like Rielly is the likeliest of any of our prospects to become that kind of leader. Even if he doesn't hit his high end potential, that wouldn't change his ability to be a leader and a calming influence.

Old
10-04-2013, 01:22 PM
Patience

Rielly and Gardiner paired together at practice today. Al Iafrate and Todd Gill Mach 2? I don't think so. I still think Rielly's abilities are being misrepresented. Sure he's a great skater and has higher offensive upside but that isn't all he has going for him. He trains very hard, he's already strong and he has good defensive/positional instincts. The assumption seems to be that he's a lot like Gardiner. I don't really think so. We've already seen that he isn't as flashy or gambling as Gardiner.

Old
10-04-2013, 01:41 PM
Silver91
Agent 0091

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwitch View Post
Haha, I'm not talking later this year or something. I like Phaneuf and depending on how contract negotiations go, he could be here a long time. Just seems like Rielly is the likeliest of any of our prospects to become that kind of leader. Even if he doesn't hit his high end potential, that wouldn't change his ability to be a leader and a calming influence.
Thing is, even if Rielly is a leader and calming influence, a lot can change between now and when Phaneuf leaves. I mean, maybe Biggs surprises and becomes a Dustin Brown, or Toews goes to UFA and signs here, or Kessel continues evolving and becomes the next C (stranger things have happened)...

I'm just saying that a lot can/will happen by the time that decision would need to be made.

Old
10-04-2013, 02:12 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
Rielly and Gardiner paired together at practice today. Al Iafrate and Todd Gill Mach 2? I don't think so. I still think Rielly's abilities are being misrepresented. Sure he's a great skater and has higher offensive upside but that isn't all he has going for him. He trains very hard, he's already strong and he has good defensive/positional instincts. The assumption seems to be that he's a lot like Gardiner. I don't really think so. We've already seen that he isn't as flashy or gambling as Gardiner.
Salming and Turnbull, obviously.

Old
10-04-2013, 04:25 PM
Torgo

A Western Conference scout doesn't see him in the doughty-karlsson-letang type of potential. Sees him more as Paul Martin + in his prime, as per Lebrun http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/b...rc=desktop&wjb .

Old
10-04-2013, 04:37 PM
Twist and Shout

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThreat View Post
A Western Conference scout doesn't see him in the doughty-karlsson-letang type of potential. Sees him more as Paul Martin + in his prime, as per Lebrun http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/b...rc=desktop&wjb .
Great, a random Western Conference scout?

Old
10-04-2013, 04:39 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Well, we do know that two NHL scouting staffs had Rielly ranked #1 for the draft. That should mean as much as that Martin comparison from 1 scout, if not more?

Old
10-04-2013, 04:43 PM
Atomos2
Attitude problems

vCash: 543
I'm in a good mood today guys. I just met Rielly, Biggs and Macwilliam today on the streets of Toronto. Meeting Rielly on the eve of his first NHL game. It's a sign my friends.

Old
10-04-2013, 04:57 PM
hullsy47

Quote:
lol a scout who told his team to pass on reilly .......name names ,could be jay feaster's nephew or something ......get real

Old
10-05-2013, 06:00 PM
Tyler Biggs*
Go Leafs Go!

Good luck, Morgan!

First game in the bigs on hockey's biggest stage. How could any Canadian kid ask for more.

Rielly, work hard...keep your head up. Don't give up, play from your heart. Good things will happen. Be positive. I wish him and all young prospects, doesn't matter what team he plays for, a healthy and long NHL career.

Best of luck kid...we're ready if you are.

Old
10-05-2013, 06:01 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Best prospect the Leafs have had in at least 25yrs.

Should be fun.

Old
10-05-2013, 06:02 PM
Tyler Biggs*
Go Leafs Go!

Rielly have fun take it all in - what an opportunity first game at ACC. Good move on the Leafs part to have him play at home -Electric. Can't wait also to see his dad's expression - just like draft day...enjoy it all Rielly family. Hope he has a good game and great. Let's keep the wins rolling!

Hope he becomes captain some day. Looking forward to the Captain Morgan Rielly Jerseys.

I hope he surprises everyone and tears it up. I'd love him to be a regular if he's ready. Otherwise after nine games. Return him to Juniors.

Old
10-05-2013, 10:43 PM
dballislife2

rielly struggled in some areas, but his speed, puck moving deep in zone or through mid ice or into opp zone is already near elite, already, his passing is also great, with very accurate but not yet heavy shot...with experience and added strength wow we have a elite D man on our hands

Old
10-05-2013, 10:59 PM
Lebanese Leaf

He looked phenomenal in the 3rd period and OT. This kid is going to be special.

Old
10-05-2013, 11:21 PM
zeke
#freewilly

kid's a stud.

Old
10-05-2013, 11:31 PM
Guy Boucher

vCash: 370
Quote:
More like Duncan Keith.

Old
10-05-2013, 11:52 PM
Aplayaz2000

tell u one thing, facepalmed myself for Ranger a few times

never with Rielly
and once he led the rush cutting through everyone
a glimpse of his excellence

breath taking, what a puck mover

Old
10-06-2013, 12:00 AM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Best part about his rushes is that he's aware of what's around him. Always keeps his eyes up as his stickhandling is just second nature to him.

Old
10-06-2013, 12:14 AM
TheTotalPackage

Quote:
If this is remotely true (which I don't think it is), it would be a big disappointment.

Would love to know who said this.

Old
10-06-2013, 12:19 AM
Duffman955

Duncan Keith in the making.

Old
10-06-2013, 05:31 AM
hullsy47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Enforcer View Post
Rielly have fun take it all in - what an opportunity first game at ACC. Good move on the Leafs part to have him play at home -Electric. Can't wait also to see his dad's expression - just like draft day...enjoy it all Rielly family. Hope he has a good game and great. Let's keep the wins rolling!

Hope he becomes captain some day. Looking forward to the Captain Morgan Rielly Jerseys.

I hope he surprises everyone and tears it up. I'd love him to be a regular if he's ready. Otherwise after nine games. Return him to Juniors.
why return him to junior ,minus 3 ,means nothing franson lack of traibing camp caaught up to hiim ....reilly's first game .......plus in all honesty reimer was lousy on 2 of the 3 goals ......if reily goesback to junior .it better be because leafs are in 1st place ,he looks every bit as good as gards or ranger

Old
10-06-2013, 05:32 AM
hullsy47

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTotalPackage View Post
If this is remotely true (which I don't think it is), it would be a big disappointment.

Would love to know who said this.
prolly jay feasters head scout

Closed Thread