HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Morgan Rielly Looks Ready

Closed Thread

Old
10-10-2013, 10:25 PM
MapleLeaf4ever

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakerForTheDead View Post
He reminds me of a young Duncan Keith.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Scott Niedermayer for me with his one step quickness. In full speed in 3 steps, elite skater.
He reminds me of Morgan Rielly. lol

And also Brian Leech just for the sake of comparisons.

Old
10-10-2013, 10:27 PM
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era

Duncan Keith is a good comparison in style. Actually a Leetch-Keith combo meal.

Old
10-10-2013, 10:38 PM
diceman934

Quote:
After Morgan's performance tonight, I am so thrilled we did not draft a center in the 2012 draft.
He's a Beauty. I was hoping that the Leafs were going to take Rielly....and was shocked and happy when they did.

Old
10-10-2013, 10:38 PM
Aplayaz2000

had him 1st overall

- B. B.

Old
10-10-2013, 10:50 PM
The Beyonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aplayaz2000 View Post
had him 1st overall

- B. B.
Awesome...AWESOME

-Gary Bettman

A bit too early for that though, but I'm happy we took him at 5th.

Old
10-10-2013, 10:52 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf4ever View Post
What Centres were there in that draft? Grigorenko and Galchenyuk? I think Laughton and Gaunce were a bit further down in the round too. Wasn't much there for Burkie too choose from. I haven't seen Ryan Murray play yet and I'm not too keen on Yakupov but I think we may have gotten the best player in that draft.
You just had to be here in that point in time, the talk before the draft was I am going to punch a wall if we draft another defenceman. Seems like most wanted a Center. Some/Few wanted BPA, and fewer thought that would be a defenceman since the draft was stacked with D.

Fast fwd to tonight, and you understand what I say in that post is true.

Old
10-10-2013, 10:53 PM
leafsfuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeIs View Post
Aren't we going to go over the cap if we keep him past the 8 or whatever games are allowed? Is it pretty much a given that he will be sent back?
While a year of his contract isnt burnt until he plays 9 games, as long as he is on the active roster he counts against the cap.

Think of it this way. In theory he could spend the whole year on the roster and not play a game. In this case he wouldnt lose a year of his ELC, but the league has to ensure he still counts against the cap or it could lead to manipulation

Point being, his salary already counts for the cap, so as long as he is playing well enough, he will stay

Old
10-10-2013, 10:55 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by dballislife2 View Post
it be really really hard to draft him over nail or galchenyuk but he looks amazing
Not for me, I still take Rielly over Gally, Grigorenko, or Yakupov, if we do it all over again today.

Old
10-10-2013, 10:58 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
He's a Beauty. I was hoping that the Leafs were going to take Rielly....and was shocked and happy when they did.
I know you are high on him. Not a surprise, and he will get better. You can see his brain just eating up the experience he is getting. The kid is a sponge. Burke has his faults but he was right on Rielly. He thinks the game on an elite level.

Old
10-10-2013, 10:58 PM
Altaris
#FireNonis

vCash: 870
Too good to be true.

Old
10-10-2013, 10:59 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:
Fair enough, too me that's a much more sound argument then these stupid advanced statistics, but that's another thread lol
I personally think advanced stats are a great tool to help judge a player's/team's worth. I have issues when people start using them as exhibit A to form their conclusions.

**** at Corsi? MUST BE LUCKY

The fact that you give up crappy chances, and have elite shooters means noting I guess.

Old
10-10-2013, 11:01 PM
MapleLeaf4ever

Quote:
You just had to be here in that point in time, the talk before the draft was I am going to punch a wall if we draft another defenceman. Seems like most wanted a Center. Some/Few wanted BPA, and fewer thought that would be a defenceman since the draft was stacked with D.

Fast fwd to tonight, and you understand what I say in that post is true.
Really? I can understand why people wanted a centre but that year all the top ones were all younger versions that looked a lot like Naz. too many small skinny guys. We still need a Big guy so I could see Nonnis swapping Gards potentially for a prospect that fits that bill and a shutdown D. Gauthier is a few years away from being our 3 guy.

And like you said that draft was Heavy with D. I was hoping for Murray at the time and I may still be after I've seen him play but right now I am more than happy with Rielly. In fact I am crazy. First time I'm actually jumping on the Hype train.

Old
10-10-2013, 11:05 PM
MapleLeaf4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
I personally think advanced stats are a great tool to help judge a player's/team's worth. I have issues when people start using them as exhibit A to form their conclusions.

**** at Corsi? MUST BE LUCKY

The fact that you give up crappy chances, and have elite shooters means noting I guess.
yeah if you go by advanced stats Grabo is a ****ing All-Star and there is no such thing as quality shots or transition game.

Can't wait to prove those nerds wrong and show them that toughness and grit still are the dominate factors for a winning team. Oh wait Didn't Boston already do that???

Old
10-10-2013, 11:13 PM
diceman934

Quote:
Really? I can understand why people wanted a centre but that year all the top ones were all younger versions that looked a lot like Naz. too many small skinny guys. We still need a Big guy so I could see Nonnis swapping Gards potentially for a prospect that fits that bill and a shutdown D. Gauthier is a few years away from being our 3 guy.

And like you said that draft was Heavy with D. I was hoping for Murray at the time and I may still be after I've seen him play but right now I am more than happy with Rielly. In fact I am crazy. First time I'm actually jumping on the Hype train.
Rielly was easily the best D man in the draft and a coin toss for the best player.

Murray is a birth year older then Rielly and I saw both players a lot. Coached against Murray and he was very good then and still is but not as good as Rielly. Murray is a very smart positional D man who will be a good NHL D man.....Rielly has the potential to be great.

Old
10-10-2013, 11:13 PM
TMLeafer

Part 2: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1514205

Toronto Maple Leafs: Sustaining unsustainability since 2013. Or... maybe not..
Closed Thread