HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jannik "honey badger" Hansen: Ain't got time for waivers

Old
09-20-2013, 07:44 PM
School of WristShot

vCash: 500
Jannik "honey badger" Hansen: Ain't got time for waivers

Hansen is UFA at the end of this season and I am not sure why did isn't brought up anywhere. He is currently on a sweetheart deal at 1.35 mil per year and due for a nice raise. He is heading towards prime and had a offensive breakout during the shortened last season (47 pt pace).
With recent contract extensions of Colin Greening (3 years at 2.65 mil cap) and Matt Read (4 years at 3.625 mil cap), the likelihood of him signing for anything less than 3 mil seems mute. Everyone knows/expects cap to go up next season but rather than being proactive Gillis seems to be having a nice relaxed off season this year. (I am not really a fan of Tanev's one year extension as I feel he should have squeezed extra year on that cap hit).

What would be the maximum would you pay Hansen before letting him walk as free agent?
I am hoping for 3-4 years at 3-3.5 mil cap hit.

Last edited by School of WristShot: 09-20-2013 at 09:59 PM.
School of WristShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 07:45 PM
Linden
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Ideally 4 years at 3.5 million per, great player. Love the way he plays. Can do anything but play PP

Top 6 forward production and a beast at even strength. Plays with some bite, and man does he ever have a great slap shot.

People are going to bring up the last two playoffs, but when the whole team stinks, your depth players will too, it's inevitable

Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 07:52 PM
canuck4life16
It what it is-mccann

vCash: 576
similar contract to Matt read got around 3 million

canuck4life16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 07:54 PM
MS

Ideally you hope he can sign for $3.0-3.5, but if it takes $4 million then you do it. He's too important, and too difficult to replace. And has a lot of good years ahead of him. Would probably get close to $5 million on the open market.

Read is probably a pretty good comparable.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 08:03 PM
Linden

Agreed, I would give him 4 mill if he wants it

Old
09-20-2013, 08:05 PM
DennisReynolds
the implication

Hopefully under 3 million and along the lines of 2.75 ish.

DennisReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 08:05 PM
tc23
#FireBenning

vCash: 77
I hope he takes something around 3m per. Would be a good number.

tc23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 08:10 PM
Pseudonymous*

If they end up not getting this guy resigned, they've really **** the bed. Do what you got to do.

Pseudonymous* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 08:20 PM
K2B
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck4life16 View Post
Yup that's what I was thinking.

09-20-2013, 08:26 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisReynolds View Post
Hopefully under 3 million and along the lines of 2.75 ish.
Pigs will fly before Hansen signs for under $3 million.

Read just got $3.6, so anything under $3.5 is massively unlikely. I rate Hansen as a better player than Reid, but they're pretty comparable.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 08:43 PM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Yet another slow but steady developed player out of our system.

Not sure if he has more upside to break out....

LolClarkson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 08:50 PM
StringerBell

Right now he's probably looking at something like $20m over 5 years with the cap going up next summer.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 08:51 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

$4m might be tempting me to walk away, Booth $4m + $4m = $8m to spend. Tough call, I love Hansen's game.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 08:53 PM
RunYouOutOfTheRink

I love Hansen but I'm not sure where he fits going forward. D. Sedin, Burrows, Kassian, Booth, and Higgins... leaves 1 third line spot and 2 fourth line spots.

Shinkaruk/Gaunce/Hovat/Jensen should all be pushing for spots by next year, and unless we trade someone else, Hansen might be expendable. I doubt he wants a reduced role, and I don't see any of the above forwards (1st sentence) as 4th liners.

...forgot about Shroeder and where he fits as well.

Last edited by RunYouOutOfTheRink: 09-20-2013 at 09:05 PM.
RunYouOutOfTheRink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:10 PM
arshonagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectProphet View Post
I love Hansen but I'm not sure where he fits going forward. D. Sedin, Burrows, Kassian, Booth, and Higgins... leaves 1 third line spot and 2 fourth line spots.

Shinkaruk/Gaunce/Hovat/Jensen should all be pushing for spots by next year, and unless we trade someone else, Hansen might be expendable. I doubt he wants a reduced role, and I don't see any of the above forwards (1st sentence) as 4th liners.

We still have an amnesty buyout (Booth) and I would "ditch" Shcroeder or Higgins before Hansen.

arshonagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:10 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

4 years at $3.5mil per should make both sides happy.

If he's looking for more, I would look at moving him for a 3rd line centre. The Canucks need more natural centremen and Hansen is one of the few trade chips Gillis has to fill that hole with a quality player.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:12 PM
Linden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
4 years at $3.5mil per should make both sides happy.

If he's looking for more, I would look at moving him for a 3rd line centre. The Canucks need more natural centremen and Hansen is one of the few trade chips Gillis has to fill that hole with a quality player.
As an upcoming UFA, he probably returns a second rounder

Old
09-20-2013, 09:14 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lph View Post
As an upcoming UFA, he probably returns a second rounder
Or a quality young centreman. I would prefer the centre to a draft pick.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:17 PM
Linden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Or a quality young centreman. I would prefer the centre to a draft pick.
I don't think he returns a quality young centre given his contract situation. Teams aren't going to give up a young centre with years of ELC/RFA for a year of Hansen. Maybe in a package deal?

Who are you thinking, like a Laughton?

Old
09-20-2013, 09:44 PM
denkiteki

I think the amount of money he gets and what we are willing to give him depends a lot on his season and even more on the season of OTHER forwards. That's right... his situation (for us) might depend on others more than himself.

Hansen showed some promise/top 6 upside and at the very least showed he could fill in a top 6 role when needed. Problem for us is we really only have 4 legit top 6 forwards and 2 of them will be UFA. The other "top 6" forwards are either coming off injury (Booth) or haven't proven to be solid/constant yet (Higgins/ZK). Now if Hansen steps up and takes the top 6 forward spot, then i guess it doesn't depend on what other forward does and he'll probably make 3 mil+ (or even 4 mil+ depending on the season he has).

Of course of Hansen continues being an elite 3rd line winger (like he has) and can fill in but not actually a top 6 forward, that's when things get interesting. We would certainly need more offensive players in this situation since the Twins are likely starting their decline now or in the near future. Same for Burrows. That leaves only Kesler as a top 6 forward and even he has a few health concerns. If Booth and ZK flops, Higgins doesn't have a typical top 6 forward year, then we might need to roll the dice on more offensive players meaning we probably could only offer Hansen under market value (i.e. 2.5mil) so we can use that cap space to go after other players either via UFA or trade... aka Hansen likely will walk and we'll replace/downgraded with a cheaper and younger player (insert prospect here). Its a shame but that's the NHL era for you.

denkiteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:44 PM
pahlsson

Quote:

yeah i wouldn't say he's "redundant" but those long term higgins and burrows contracts make me kind of hesistant about giving one to another tweener

fwiw, i'd take hansen 9 times out of 10 going forward over either of them

pahlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 09:54 PM
Steveorama

Hansen is the type of players we need more of, not less.
Guessing that Gillis has already made an agreement with Hansen's agent pending the Cap increase next summer.
No way Gillis lets Hansen walk.

Steveorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 10:10 PM
B-rock

Quote:

Just because there are a bunch of young guys doesn't mean you get rid of the better veteran guys. That seems like a ridiculous argument, especially when none, NONE of those kids brings what Hansen brings in terms of grit, speed, battle on the boards and determination. Not to mention none of them are close to being as complete an NHL player as Hansen, nor will they be for years. Of course you could choose to just tank for the next four or five years a la Edmonton if you want to just play all the young guys regardless of how good they are.

If you had a team full of Hansen's you'd win every game. He's not the prettiest player sometimes, but he wins a hell of a lot more battles than he loses. The guy never says die.

B-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 10:23 PM
denkiteki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveorama View Post
Hansen is the type of players we need more of, not less.
Guessing that Gillis has already made an agreement with Hansen's agent pending the Cap increase next summer.
No way Gillis lets Hansen walk.
In a perfect world, MG probably doesn't want to let anyone decent walk but sadly he has limited resources and has to decide how to spend it. Remember Sedins are both UFA at the end of the season and by default they are top priority. There's also the possible goalie situation and Lack being a UFA/RFA. Add to that (like i mentioned) the question marks with the top 6. Of course if MG has his way, then the top 6 will figure itself out.

denkiteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 05:13 AM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck4life16 View Post
Good call. I'd say exactly what Read signed. If Gillis got him to sign for less, he's a bloody genius.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote