TheDebaser

vCash: 500
The best NHL goalie.

TheDebaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 02:43 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 50
I think we run with 3 goalies to start the year, Ramo plays ~ 40 - 45 games and Berra plays ~ 30 - 35. Ramo wins the "starter" job as he is the most talented, Berra wins the "backup" job but plays a large number of games as we play the hot hand. MacDonald gets traded to a team looking for a veteran backup (NYI?). Ramo and Berra win out as they are more talented and get better as they adjust to NHL ice.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 02:55 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
I think we run with 3 goalies to start the year, Ramo plays ~ 40 - 45 games and Berra plays ~ 30 - 35. Ramo wins the "starter" job as he is the most talented, Berra wins the "backup" job but plays a large number of games as we play the hot hand. MacDonald gets traded to a team looking for a veteran backup (NYI?). Ramo and Berra win out as they are more talented and get better as they adjust to NHL ice.
I agree 100%

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 03:39 PM
Demetric

unfortunately, Hartley disagrees. does not like having 3 goalies as per Link

"The only thing Hartley has decided on is how many goaltenders he'll keep when the puck drops on the season. There's only room for two on Hartley's roster.

"I hate three goalies," he said. "It's a nightmare.""

Though I would like to see Ramo and Berra for the first bit to see who can cut it. We know what we have in Mac

Demetric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 03:45 PM
Flames Fanatic
Mediocre

vCash: 1127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetric View Post

"The only thing Hartley has decided on is how many goaltenders he'll keep when the puck drops on the season. There's only room for two on Hartley's roster.

Though I would like to see Ramo and Berra for the first bit to see who can cut it. We know what we have in Mac
Not to mention in his last start he was pretty bad. Grabner can snipe one, yeah sure whatever. But Griffin Reinhart?

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 03:54 PM
MarkGio

Quote:

In that case we should part with MacD soon.

Old
09-21-2013, 04:39 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 150
The one who sucks the least.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 04:40 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:

He may not like it but it may have to happen for the first week or so until he is sure in what he has.

Old
09-21-2013, 04:50 PM
MonahanTheMan
Pray for Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
Not to mention in his last start he was pretty bad. Grabner can snipe one, yeah sure whatever. But Griffin Reinhart?
But the fact that Mac is a known quantity makes him valuable to the team. Right now, I don't know who I want in the starting position, Ramo or Berra, they've each kind of impressed me (although I lean towards Ramo since he's consistently shown quality goaltending). But the backup should be MacDonald. We need someone with experience.

MonahanTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 04:55 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonahanTheMan View Post
But the fact that Mac is a known quantity makes him valuable to the team. Right now, I don't know who I want in the starting position, Ramo or Berra, they've each kind of impressed me (although I lean towards Ramo since he's consistently shown quality goaltending). But the backup should be MacDonald. We need someone with experience.
I don't think experience is all that important to be honest but I think Hartley feels the same way as you. If he is dead set on 2 goalies then I think it will be Ramo/Macdonald.

Old
09-21-2013, 04:57 PM
MuffinMerc
Come watch TV

vCash: 977
Quote:
He may not like it but it may have to happen for the first week or so until he is sure in what he has.
Feaster said the Flames will only run 2 goalies when he was 960 last week. He explained that when that whoever gets sent down they would bring in 1 more goalie purely for practice purposes. 3 goalies is indeed a nightmare, just look at what happened to Irving in Abbotsford last season.

MuffinMerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 05:03 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMerc View Post
Feaster said the Flames will only run 2 goalies when he was 960 last week. He explained that when that whoever gets sent down they would bring in 1 more goalie purely for practice purposes. 3 goalies is indeed a nightmare, just look at what happened to Irving in Abbotsford last season.
They were the ones that made that happen by bringing in MacDonald if they thought it was a bad idea last year and did it anyway I think they can do it again.

Old
09-21-2013, 05:04 PM
MarkGio

Ramo and Berra have the most potential. Giving them opportunities will likely lead to one of them becoming a legit starter. Even if none of them become any good, id rather know now and try again with Gillies and Ortio in the next few years, or otherwise trade for a goalie.

Old
09-21-2013, 05:07 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
They were the ones that made that happen by bringing in MacDonald if they thought it was a bad idea last year and did it anyway I think they can do it again.
Learning from mistakes perhaps. Last year seemed like a lot of panic, foolish moves were made so the Flames could try to make the playoffs. Now that the organization has accepted a rebuild, I don't expect that kind of amateur-hour circus show to reoccur

Old
09-21-2013, 05:09 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Learning from mistakes perhaps. Last year seemed like a lot of panic, foolish moves were made so the Flames could try to make the playoffs. Now that the organization has accepted a rebuild, I don't expect that kind of amateur-hour circus show to reoccur
Possible but its not like the 3 goalies will last long only a few weeks to make sure Berra and Ramo can be a successful tandem but I would like to move MacD anyway.

Old
09-21-2013, 05:43 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

I'm in favour of the three headed monster for at least the month of October. Not only will it allow Hartley to see which of three goalies show promise at the NHL level, but it also also gives Ortio and Brossoit a chance to battle it out at the AHL level. And if either of those guys struggle, the weakest can be demoted to the ECHL, while the worst of Berra/MacDonald/Ramo can be sent to the AHL or waived. If on the other hand, both Brossoit and Ortio look good, then just trade someone from the three-headed monster.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 08:57 PM
TheDebaser

Quote:
Not a valid argument, we're talking about very different circumstances. Things are completely different when we're talking about the big club. Do you think when Kipper got injured and they were talking about bringing in help someone was all like "even though we have no nhl goalies in the system right now and are on the brink of a playoff spot we can't bring McDonald in, think of the situation in Abbortsford! 3 goalies? That's downright wacky!"

TheDebaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 09:31 PM
GetThePuckOut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
Yeah but speaking as a former goalie, you can't judge a goalie on one game. It's a very hot/cold position.

Not to mention, Griffin Reinhart has a very underrated shot. I've seen him snipe top cheese several times.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 09:46 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
Yeah but speaking as a former goalie, you can't judge a goalie on one game. It's a very hot/cold position.

Not to mention, Griffin Reinhart has a very underrated shot. I've seen him snipe top cheese several times.
It wasn't just that. When I first got the stream going I saw him bite on a play and went way out of his net. He wasn't looking great the whole game IMO.

Old
09-22-2013, 06:13 AM
Bouma Fett
Booty Hunter

Brossoit to ECHL as the starter, Ortio/Berra split duties in the AHL, Ramo starting goalie, MacDonald as backup on the Flames. Berra with first callup on injuries or bad performances by Ramo/Macdonald

I think Ramo will be the starter without question, at least to start the season. And I'd like to see Berra get a better chance to get some playing time in North America, to get a chance to adapt to the different game over here. I think to begin the year, having Berra/Ortio spliting duties as a 1A/1B tandem would be best. Brossoit is still really young, and this is his first year out of juniors. Being in the ECHL for at least the first couple of months won't hurt him in the slightest. If Berra tears it up on the Heat, we could then recall him, and waive/trade MacDonald, and have Berra as the backup on the Flames for the second half of the season, and Brossoit as backup on the Heat during the second half. This gives MacDonald his props for his play last season, and maximizes the playing time for all four of Ramo/Berra/Ortio/Brossoit. Because ultimately, I'd like to just see them get playing time. And the fact is, the Flames backup goalie will likely play the least out of all 5 goalies we have.

Bouma Fett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 08:10 AM
KrejciMVP

Nice, I drafted Ramo, hope he does well

KrejciMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 08:25 AM
Johnny Hoxville
**** Cancer

vCash: 2403
Nothing has been decided for sure yet, but I to think Ramo will be our starter for the opener and JMac will be our backup. Berra and Ortio will likely split duties on the Heat.

We need an experienced backup being how unproven our starter will be.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 09:12 AM
Taranis

vCash: 7765
http://flames.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8469732

I would take my chances with another unproven goaltender personally.

Taranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 11:00 AM
Demetric

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanatic12 View Post
Brossoit to ECHL as the starter, Ortio/Berra split duties in the AHL, Ramo starting goalie, MacDonald as backup on the Flames. Berra with first callup on injuries or bad performances by Ramo/Macdonald

I think Ramo will be the starter without question, at least to start the season. And I'd like to see Berra get a better chance to get some playing time in North America, to get a chance to adapt to the different game over here. I think to begin the year, having Berra/Ortio spliting duties as a 1A/1B tandem would be best. Brossoit is still really young, and this is his first year out of juniors. Being in the ECHL for at least the first couple of months won't hurt him in the slightest. If Berra tears it up on the Heat, we could then recall him, and waive/trade MacDonald, and have Berra as the backup on the Flames for the second half of the season, and Brossoit as backup on the Heat during the second half. This gives MacDonald his props for his play last season, and maximizes the playing time for all four of Ramo/Berra/Ortio/Brossoit. Because ultimately, I'd like to just see them get playing time. And the fact is, the Flames backup goalie will likely play the least out of all 5 goalies we have.
In the past with Kipper this has been the case but I do not think this will be the case anymore

Demetric is offline   Reply With Quote