HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

R the Oilers the flattest team you've ever seen and why?

Old
10-09-2013, 07:50 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
R the Oilers the flattest team you've ever seen and why?

After getting their show run in Vancouver, the Oil come back with 45 minutes of the flattest hockey I can remember. Only at the 7 minute mark of the 3rd do they snap out of it and decide to.... wait for it.... SKATE!!!!

When they are flat, which is more often then not, they are the flattest team i have ever seen.

Can anyone explain why? how hard is it to tell yourself to skate hard and hit, and then go out and actually do it?

If they come out flat tomorrow night against Montreal... well, I won't be surprised but I will be disgusted.

Up the Irons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 08:11 AM
ResilientBeast
MLFH Edmonton Titans

vCash: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
After getting their show run in Vancouver, the Oil come back with 45 minutes of the flattest hockey I can remember. Only at the 7 minute mark of the 3rd do they snap out of it and decide to.... wait for it.... SKATE!!!!

When they are flat, which is more often then not, they are the flattest team i have ever seen.

Can anyone explain why? how hard is it to tell yourself to skate hard and hit, and then go out and actually do it?

If they come out flat tomorrow night against Montreal... well, I won't be surprised but I will be disgusted.
Well at the start of the New Jersey game, most of the team wasn't flat. They just weren't getting results

ResilientBeast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 08:21 AM
Up the Irons

i didn't see it that way. It took the Oilers almost ten and a half minutes to register a shot on goal, and after 40 minutes they had more turnovers than shots on goal, eleven.

Old
10-09-2013, 08:27 AM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
I'm not sure about "ever" but they compete at a high level so infrequently that it is hard to even remember what a competing team looks like. We got a taste of it in that third period, where they started playing with speed and passion...now if only they can capture that tempo and use it more often.

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 08:34 AM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Quote:

They look like a team getting used to a new system. I suspect that a few were growing suspect of the game plan/system when the club lost the first two, and trailed in the 3rd on Monday.

Eventually they all got on the same page, and exploded for offense.

Don't be surprised if last game was the spark needed for everyone to buy in.

McRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 08:34 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
I blame Lowe!

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 08:41 AM
dssource

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post

I really want to believe that this is true! Common sense has me thinking otherwise however. We'll see tomorrow night I guess. Last home game before heading out on the road against IMO a weak team from the east playing the second half of a back to back. If they can't turn it up against the habs...

dssource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 08:45 AM
DeathbyCheerios

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssource View Post
I really want to believe that this is true! Common sense has me thinking otherwise however. We'll see tomorrow night I guess. Last home game before heading out on the road against IMO a weak team from the east playing the second half of a back to back. If they can't turn it up against the habs...
They may be a weak team but Vancouver had to take it to overtime to beat them too.

Honestly the best thing that came from last game was that apparently nothing was really said in the room. They all just sat there, then came out together. Then everything started clicking. Could that period be a sign of good things to come? I sure hope so.

DeathbyCheerios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 08:49 AM
Hockey Nightmare

I remember last year when they were perfectly positioned to go on a great run for a playoff spot. The forbidden fruit was hanging there on that low hanging branch. All they had to do was take it. But they didn't. They came out flat in many of those games. And here we were at home like...

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 08:56 AM
Up the Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
They look like a team getting used to a new system. I suspect that a few were growing suspect of the game plan/system when the club lost the first two, and trailed in the 3rd on Monday.

Eventually they all got on the same page, and exploded for offense.

I'm hoping you're right, Scoobs. they will win alot of us back if they at least skate hard and hit. I was so disgusted after the 2nd period, I thru up my arms and gave up, gave the wife the remote and started reading my book.

watching Calgary work their -sses off and collect 4 of 6 points magnifies the Oils lackadasical (sp?) play even more.

Old
10-09-2013, 08:58 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

vCash: 50
Gee, I thought the thread was going to be about small boobies according to the title.

What a disappointing thread OP.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 09:02 AM
Up the Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathbyCheerios View Post
They may be a weak team but Vancouver had to take it to overtime to beat them too.

Honestly the best thing that came from last game was that apparently nothing was really said in the room. They all just sat there, then came out together. Then everything started clicking. Could that period be a sign of good things to come? I sure hope so.
i guess the good sign is they were able to stop the bleeding at 2 games. it was looking like another 7 game losing streak we've become accustomed to.

they have to know that the hockey world is now considering them a failure. weaker teams have passed them, people are predicting them to place lower then 26th. if that can't motivate them to at least skate hard, then I'm not sure if anything will.

Old
10-09-2013, 09:03 AM
Up the Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Gee, I thought the thread was going to be about small boobies according to the title.

What a disappointing thread OP.

lol. i would never start a thread about that!!! the exact opposite, yes. I'm a pawg man myself.

Old
10-09-2013, 09:06 AM
Joe Hallenback

Well when you consider that their fans are too lazy to spell ARE then maybe it is all relative

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 09:12 AM
Halibut

I think they are thinking to much at this point. Not wanting to make mistakes, not wanting to make the wrong move, not wanting to over commit. Not really a surprise with a new coach and a new system, once they just settle down and play they look a lot better.

As for the flattest team, I wouldnt be surprised if the Rangers looked pretty flat yesterday. Lundqvist, Biron both giving their best Dubnyk impressions last night and then there's that great netminder Mike Smith giving up 5 goals in 20 shots for the Coyotes last night.

It's way too early to jump to conclusions the way so many around here want to do. The Oilers are flat, Hall is crap, Eberle sucks, Dubnyk cant stop a beach ball, Justin Schultz sucks in his own end. Wah, wah, wah. Nothing but problems. Sure we've had to deal with a lot of bad play for a long time but really pointing out the Oilers faults and constantly turning on our own guys is a chumps game and getting quite old. All the armchair GM's and critics really need to get over themselves. You dont really know more than the coaches and players and management and your brilliant critique is not going to show them the light. Lighten up, let them play.

Halibut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 09:30 AM
PumpkinBomb

I love listening to Eakins' post game and comparing it to the fans on here.

I agree with Eakins. The Oilers played fine in the first two, had some good chances but some bad luck. A few missed assignments, the passes weren't tape to tape and maybe every play was a second slower, but I wouldn't call them flat.

Really the only correction i saw in the 3rd was a bit more speed and every pass started being tape to tape, which made everything else quicker. That's just the difference between playing with confidence and not.

PumpkinBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 09:34 AM
Up the Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
I think they are thinking to much at this point. Not wanting to make mistakes, not wanting to make the wrong move, not wanting to over commit. Not really a surprise with a new coach and a new system, once they just settle down and play they look a lot better.

As for the flattest team, I wouldnt be surprised if the Rangers looked pretty flat yesterday. Lundqvist, Biron both giving their best Dubnyk impressions last night and then there's that great netminder Mike Smith giving up 5 goals in 20 shots for the Coyotes last night.

It's way too early to jump to conclusions the way so many around here want to do. The Oilers are flat, Hall is crap, Eberle sucks, Dubnyk cant stop a beach ball, Justin Schultz sucks in his own end. Wah, wah, wah. Nothing but problems. Sure we've had to deal with a lot of bad play for a long time but really pointing out the Oilers faults and constantly turning on our own guys is a chumps game and getting quite old. All the armchair GM's and critics really need to get over themselves. You dont really know more than the coaches and players and management and your brilliant critique is not going to show them the light. Lighten up, let them play.
it is getting old. but, that is so because it is still true. this core is on the verge of losing people. I for one, will not be purchasing any tickets until I am confident they will put out an effort worth paying for. right now, I do not think they are worth the price of admission. I will not pay 2 - 4 hundred bones to watch a bunch of floaters.

Old
10-09-2013, 09:36 AM
armandh01

We play every game with basically a handicap because our goaltending is so awful. I'd be depressed and flat too. Should be looking real hard at our goal tending coach.

armandh01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 09:42 AM
dssource

To me it looks more like these kids are afraid to make the playoffs. They don't feel it is within themselves to be able to compete at the postseason level. They think just b/c they make it to the post season, they'll be pressured to win the cup right away. Don't worry kids. Make the post season. Get a feel for the real hockey played in the post season. Don't be scared! We don't expect a cup this year, we just want to see you compete and play hard every game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathbyCheerios View Post

By weak team from the east, I meant the habs tomorrow night.

dssource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 09:51 AM
Halibut

Quote:
it is getting old. but, that is so because it is still true. this core is on the verge of losing people. I for one, will not be purchasing any tickets until I am confident they will put out an effort worth paying for. right now, I do not think they are worth the price of admission. I will not pay 2 - 4 hundred bones to watch a bunch of floaters.
I think the idea that they are floating is getting quite old as well. I dont question anybody's effort because you can make a mistake just as easily by trying to do to much as you can by not doing enough. They need to simplify, loosen up and just play. They need to go with their guts and not worry about making mistakes during the games. The coaching staff will work on the mistakes in practice and those things have to be internalized through repetition so in a game it will come out as instinct.

Old
10-09-2013, 10:54 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Hell, they are nearly one dimensional.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 10:57 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
Well when you consider that their fans are too lazy to spell ARE then maybe it is all relative
You should have put the are in quotes and kept it as small letters. You also forgot the period at the end of your sentence.

Beerfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 11:15 AM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
I remember last year when they were perfectly positioned to go on a great run for a playoff spot. The forbidden fruit was hanging there on that low hanging branch. All they had to do was take it. But they didn't. They came out flat in many of those games. And here we were at home like...

RNH screwed shoulder and Hemsky busted his foot. That is what went wrong.

Doppler Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 11:20 AM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppler Drift View Post
RNH screwed shoulder and Hemsky busted his foot. That is what went wrong.
We were using some questionable systems as well that may have hindered us so I'm ok with the coaching change but we have to at least give the team a chance to fail and not jump on every decision and every mistake in each game. Doubly so this early in the season when even the top teams are floundering to get back into the games. This board would be trading Lundqvist fans now if we were Rangers fans and Quick after that flubbed goal the other day.

Old
10-09-2013, 11:28 AM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
We were using some questionable systems as well that may have hindered us so I'm ok with the coaching change but we have to at least give the team a chance to fail and not jump on every decision and every mistake in each game. Doubly so this early in the season when even the top teams are floundering to get back into the games. This board would be trading Lundqvist fans now if we were Rangers fans and Quick after that flubbed goal the other day.
Very true. I was just pointing out that those two injuries were really the end of those playoff hope though. The coaching was questionable for sure, but losing the full talents of those 2 really hurt as well.

Doppler Drift is offline   Reply With Quote