HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Mouth guards?

Old
09-09-2013, 04:09 PM
SCBruCrew4

vCash: 500
Mouth guards?

So, I'm looking into buying a mouthguard for my first season in a mens league since I will be wearing a visor instead of a full cage. My question for you guys may come off "noobish" but I need to ask lol. Do you (those who buy them) get the cheaper kinds $5-10 or do you splurge and get the $20+ kinds. I only ask because the last time I used one was 8 years ago in high school. I know there are kinds out there that offer $5000 dental coverage and then there are kinds that have gel and plastic and all kinds of bells and whistles.

Back when I was in high school (8 years ago) it was literally one kind of mouth guard and that's what you used. Now I look at the shelf or online and it's just nuts. Mind you the league I'll be in has no contact but obviously there is incidental contact that occurs.

Anyways any tips or advice or even sales/prices would be greatly appreciated.

SCBruCrew4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 04:29 PM
Malarowski

vCash: 822
I don't use mine, but got a higher end one, just in case. Definitely want one that contours to your teeth, and dental coverage doesn't hurt. Honestly, if you take a proper shot to the chicklets, they won't stay in, so might as well get some extra money.

Mine is some king of Shock Doctor, I believe. Although a cage is still better.

Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 05:29 PM
Scotty21

I don't use a mouth guard because I use a full cage. But I almost considered buying this one, since I have read a lot of good reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/SISU-Mouth-Gua...uth+guard+sisu

It comes in 2 sizes (thickness), 1.6mm and 2.4mm.
1.6mm says its for hockey, 2.4mm says its for higher impact sports like football or MMA.
You can read more on their website http://www.sisuguard.com/

Scotty21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 05:49 PM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

vCash: 50
I bought a mouthguard for $22. It even came with a 10,000 dental warrantee IIRC. Shock Doctor also has a 10,000 dental warrantee IIRC too.

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 06:23 PM
intangible

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty21 View Post
I don't use a mouth guard because I use a full cage. But I almost considered buying this one, since I have read a lot of good reviews.
Mouth guards aren't just good for protecting your teeth, but also to reduce the incidence or magnitude of concussions.

intangible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 07:01 PM
tbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by intangible View Post
Mouth guards aren't just good for protecting your teeth, but also to reduce the incidence or magnitude of concussions.
Yeah I have a cage and a mouthguard for that reason. More than just protecting your teeth.

tbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 07:32 PM
17of26

Quote:
Originally Posted by intangible View Post
Not true. A concussion is created by the brain hitting the skull. A mouthguard does nothing to prevent this.

17of26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 07:50 PM
tbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17of26 View Post
Not true. A concussion is created by the brain hitting the skull. A mouthguard does nothing to prevent this.
A mouthguard will lessen the impact of your teeth coming together on a bad fall, though, protecting your jaw.

tbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 01:40 AM
beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBruCrew4 View Post
my first season in a mens league
Wear a cage.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 06:59 AM
LarryO

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth View Post
Wear a cage.
Best advice so far.

1. A mouthguard won't prevent broken/lost teeth.

2. Read the mouthguard "insurance" carefully and you will realize that you won't get one red cent in your situation.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 08:14 AM
Bob Kudelski

Wear a cage. You're playing with guys that aren't all that skilled or experienced. Do you really think they can always control their stick and their limbs when they are flailing all over the ice? No sense in opening yourself up to facial injuries.

Bob Kudelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 08:34 AM
boo10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17of26 View Post
Not completely true. A mouth guard will absorb some of the kinetic energy from a direct (Straight on) impact to the lower jaw, lessening the concussion causing brain-rattle. Having said that, most concussions are from side / rear impacts to the head, which a mouthguard will not help prevent. The spirit of your post is correct, but technically incorrect.

boo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 08:56 AM
Thesensation19

Dont use one. But I should. Even in adult hockey. Especially when your using a visor. I changed from a visor to a cage though. The idea that I can be taken out of a game or the whole season on the very possible chance that a puck hits my face and I break some bones, would get me pissed off. I cant play because I didnt have the right protection.

Well same kind of goes for mouth guards. They help protect your teeth and help diminish an impact to your head or jaw. There valuable.

Look at Callahan, uses it quite well and looks good using it too

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 10:37 AM
17of26

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo10 View Post
Not completely true. A mouth guard will absorb some of the kinetic energy from a direct (Straight on) impact to the lower jaw, lessening the concussion causing brain-rattle. Having said that, most concussions are from side / rear impacts to the head, which a mouthguard will not help prevent. The spirit of your post is correct, but technically incorrect.
Here's the thing. If you search for "do mouthguards prevent concussions", you will get a very conclusive 'no' from all sources that you find.

A concussion is caused by the brain hitting the skull. If you're skating at 10mph and run into something that causes your skull to stop moving, the brain is going to smack into the skull at 10mph. It doesn't matter if the mouthguard absorbs some kinetic energy, the brain still has go from 10mph to 0mph by hitting the skull. Even a full helmet isn't really going to help.

Maybe if you're standing still and someone pops you in the jaw it *might* reduce the acceleration of the skull but there is no medical evidence that a mouthguard reduces concussion chance or effects.

17of26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 10:49 AM
shoeshine boy

I use a custom mouthguard from Impact Mouthguards: http://www.impactmouthguards.com/

this is the first mouthguard I ever used that allowed me to speak and breath normally while playing.
mine is pretty simple with just name on one side and number on the other but they have some pretty cool custom design options if you want to get creative.
there's a lot of disagreement out there on whether or nor mouthguards help with concussions. all I can say is that in the year and a half that I've been wearing mine hits that would've caused mild concussions in the past are causing little to no symptoms. maybe merely coincidence but I'll take what I can get.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 11:34 AM
Sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
Best advice so far.

1. A mouthguard won't prevent broken/lost teeth.

2. Read the mouthguard "insurance" carefully and you will realize that you won't get one red cent in your situation.
This is good stuff. Here's my list of reasons on why to wear a cage:
  1. You won't lose your teeth.
  2. You won't have to put up with face-washes from beer-league "pests".
  3. You won't get busted lips and look silly in the office the next day.
  4. You won't get all fired up that there's some bender on the ice who can't keep his stick down.
  5. You are slightly more protected vs psychopaths (yes, every beer league has one or two).
  6. You won't be permanently disfigured by getting your face stepped on.

And why not to wear a cage:
It's more comfortable.
The beer league scouts will think you've got the toughness for the next level.

Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 02:44 PM
Moose Coleman

I used to wear a fishbowl, but found it too hot, plus it reduced by vision, especially when the puck was at my feet or on my stick (kind of important). I switched to a half shield and mouthguard. I've tried four this year alone and the Sisu brand linked to earlier is by far the best fit, beats any boil and bite by a mile (though fitting is a bit more of a fussy process).

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 08:04 AM
shoeshine boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
go to your dentist and get a proper mouthgurad for $60 and it wont be a piece of junk,
I've never heard of a dentist doing one for $60. unless it's changed recently most dentists charge at least $100 for theirs. the Impact guard is custom made from your impression by a dental lab technician. the instructions on how to form the mold are pretty easy to follow though in full disclosure, mine was done by one of the company owners who happens to play in our league.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 08:18 AM
jorbjorb
BROWN TOWN

i should wear one. but i don't because i absolutely hate them... aww

jorbjorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 11:19 AM
TheTotalPackage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
or you could wear a cage and be the softest pansy on your team
I love people who think like this.

TheTotalPackage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 12:59 PM
Sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTotalPackage View Post
I love people who think like this.
Beer league is srs bsns.

Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 03:53 PM
roffleburger

Some of us choose to wear a visor because of personal preference. This does not make us a "tough guy" or a "super star" or any other names you guys come up with. I prefer to wear a cage, I also wear a mouthguard, I accept these risks and am prepared to deal with the consequences. Is wearing a cage safer? Yes. Am I going to wear one? No.

roffleburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 09:40 AM
PorkChopSandwiches

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeshine boy View Post
I've never heard of a dentist doing one for $60. unless it's changed recently most dentists charge at least $100 for theirs. the Impact guard is custom made from your impression by a dental lab technician. the instructions on how to form the mold are pretty easy to follow though in full disclosure, mine was done by one of the company owners who happens to play in our league.
$100 is ridiculously expensive, i had one properly done at the dentist on-site for $65

Oh ... and i wear a cage too.

PorkChopSandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 08:29 AM
madmutter
I heff to be med

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kudelski View Post
Wear a cage. You're playing with guys that aren't all that skilled or experienced. Do you really think they can always control their stick and their limbs when they are flailing all over the ice? No sense in opening yourself up to facial injuries.
The rink has lots of threads where the visor vs cage debate can happen. The OP asked about mouthguards.

I've tried several boil and bites rom the cheapo's to top of the line and they all suck. A professional one is worth it even if it's more expensive. My kids wear them and I've found that the professional ones will last until they need a new one for fit while the boil and bites are loose in their mouth so they chew on them and they are wrecked in a month or less plus they never sit where they need to be anyway. A professional one will stick to your teeth allowing you to breathe, talk and drink. Call around to several dentists for prices, it varies in my area from $25 to $110 for the exact same thing.

madmutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 09:27 AM
SCBruCrew4

Lol thanks for all the advice guys. I went with a mouthguard from a local hockey store that has a $5000 dental coverage. I have read the insurance on it and it's clear and concise.

And on the plus side (I guess in a way) I won't actually be playing in a league this year, instead I'll be playing in the pick-up "league" that I played in last year. No benders or any kind of BS that beer leagues do typically bring.

I appreciate all the input and when I do join a league I'll think long and hard about buying a cage for it.

(and to the dope, yes dope, who is calling someone a pansy for wearing a cage..I'm sure you look beautiful)

SCBruCrew4 is offline   Reply With Quote