HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Oil Kings '13-'14 Thread: WHL CHAMPIONS!

View Poll Results: Do you like the Oil Kings new jerseys?
Yes 48 57.83%
No 22 26.51%
Unsure 13 15.66%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-09-2014, 08:47 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

vCash: 500
Brandon? That's a person's name!

Old
04-10-2014, 12:20 AM
JordanGalhanth

5-2 loss tonight and the series now shifts back to Edmonton for Game 5 on Friday.

Honestly, I think this is one of the most beneficial things that could have happened to the Oil Kings this playoff run. A loss like this shows them that they're not invincible and that they can't take anyone lightly. Should be a good show on Friday.

Old
04-11-2014, 01:24 AM
April Ethereal
Eternal rains...

vCash: 907
It's Portland and Kelowna in the Western Final while it's looking like Kootenay is going to take out Medicine Hat. Hopefully the OK's close out Brandon tomorrow.

Old
04-11-2014, 04:10 PM
Mika Zibanejad
Free the Oppressed

They are showing the game today in Ottawa on SportsNet, Go OilKings GO, also can Lazar score a hatrick pleasE?

Old
04-11-2014, 09:05 PM
Mozesmadness
MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPS!

At game 5:

Building empty... Again.

This city is ridiculous, complain all day long about the Oilers, and don't support there dominat WHL team.

Old
04-11-2014, 09:27 PM
Mozesmadness
MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPS!

Crowd has filled out a touch. Still not nearly enough.

Great game so far. Much different Brandon team than the one I saw for game 1.

Richard Nejeschleb is a name to look for in the draft.

Great size, skill, and physicality, also willing to pay the price in front. Great option for the Oil.

Old
04-11-2014, 11:09 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

5-1 with 8 minutes left, Moroz (?) with the goal to make it 5.

Old
04-11-2014, 11:12 PM
Mika Zibanejad
Free the Oppressed

I don't get it, you guys sell out Oilers games easily, but you have an actual good product in the Oil Kings for about 1/6th of the price for tickets and the house is more then half empty.

- oil kings advance to round 3 btw.

Last edited by Mika Zibanejad: 04-11-2014 at 11:30 PM.
Old
04-11-2014, 11:52 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senz View Post
I don't get it, you guys sell out Oilers games easily, but you have an actual good product in the Oil Kings for about 1/6th of the price for tickets and the house is more then half empty.

- oil kings advance to round 3 btw.
I'm not about to make excuses - the market speaks for itself.

But there are a few factors in play.

1. Weeknight game. Even Friday night = smaller crowds.
2. Owned by the Oilers = possible blowback, people not willing to back a Katz product.
3. The big team has probably turned people off of hockey in general.
4. Just about every STHer I know is still pissed that they threw the final regular season game. You don't forget those things.
5. The in-game entertainment is too kid-friendly to attract the adult hardcore hockey fan.

Old
04-12-2014, 12:13 AM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Probably the biggest thing is the "kid-friendly" marketing campaign the Oilers/Oil Kings have somehow surrounded themselves by.

Probably a ploy (honestly, not a conspiracy theorist but I'll understand if you loop me in that same loop) by the owners to ensure people continue going to the worse-product-better-profit games over the awesome-product-less-profit games, the Oil Kings games have almost exclusively been marketed to a younger audience, missing their largest demographic. But then, if they don't know better hockey exists, they'll flock like sheep to the Oilers games.

Because it's times like these where you think that the Oil Kings could beat the living **** out of the Oilers.

Another thing in the loop - establishment. When the Oil Kings came here first, they sucked . Hard to establish a fan base when you suck. We're seeing the opposite effect (impossible to dissipate a fan base when you once were good) in the big club.

Old
04-12-2014, 01:08 AM
Brewster

Ehhhh, I'd say the crowd sizes are par for the course. While the Kings certainly warrant a larger following and have offered a far superior product than the big club has over the past 3-4 years, the fact remains that they are competing with the NHL for customers and the Oilers have a logic-defying monopoly on the market. Was Calgary's attendance in round 1 any better than ours?

Anyways, good win for the OKs tonight. Kulda continues to impress me - I wouldn't mind snagging him with a 6th or 7th in the draft this year. Samuelson had a terrific game as well.

So, looking like Ice/Kings in the ECF. Should be interesting to see Sam and griff go toe to toe one last time in the WHL. Thoughts?

Old
04-12-2014, 03:58 AM
dookers9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
Ehhhh, I'd say the crowd sizes are par for the course. While the Kings certainly warrant a larger following and have offered a far superior product than the big club has over the past 3-4 years, the fact remains that they are competing with the NHL for customers and the Oilers have a logic-defying monopoly on the market. Was Calgary's attendance in round 1 any better than ours?

Anyways, good win for the OKs tonight. Kulda continues to impress me - I wouldn't mind snagging him with a 6th or 7th in the draft this year. Samuelson had a terrific game as well.

So, looking like Ice/Kings in the ECF. Should be interesting to see Sam and griff go toe to toe one last time in the WHL. Thoughts?
Not sure of tonight's attendance, but Google tells me the average of 3 of the Hitmen's home crowds so far has been 7,498 with a high of just over 9K. Must say, I'm a bit surprised there, as I have always been under the impression that the Hitmen have drawn larger crowds.

Old
04-12-2014, 11:40 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
I'm not about to make excuses - the market speaks for itself.

But there are a few factors in play.

1. Weeknight game. Even Friday night = smaller crowds.
2. Owned by the Oilers = possible blowback, people not willing to back a Katz product.
3. The big team has probably turned people off of hockey in general.
4. Just about every STHer I know is still pissed that they threw the final regular season game. You don't forget those things.
5. The in-game entertainment is too kid-friendly to attract the adult hardcore hockey fan.
What happened?

Old
04-12-2014, 12:51 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
What happened?
Sat out a few of their best players and didn't have to win so there was little effort. They got hammered 5-0 by Red Deer, which had to win to have a shot at the playoffs.

Even though my whole family and I were at that game, I didn't mind what they did. Why risk key players in a meaningless game? I would have done the same thing.

It was a brutal game, however.

Old
04-13-2014, 03:16 PM
April Ethereal
Eternal rains...

Looks like Medicine Hate isn't quite ready to roll over just yet. Hoping they can extend the series to seven, let our boys rest a little.

Old
04-14-2014, 08:05 PM
Brewster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Continuum View Post
Looks like Medicine Hate isn't quite ready to roll over just yet. Hoping they can extend the series to seven, let our boys rest a little.
Series starts Friday regardless. However having the two teams grind each other down I'm all good with.

Old
04-15-2014, 01:18 AM
MoneyGuy

Well, the Hat won tonight in Cranbrook so they're going to game 7. Nice. Our next opponent will be beaten up.

Old
04-15-2014, 11:29 AM
ExOilerFan

vCash: 50
The number one reason why Oil Kings games are empty is that it is exclusively marketed to kids. No offense but I feel like I'm at some sort of daycare when I go to a game

Old
04-15-2014, 11:51 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

The OKs would be better off marketing to students and young adults. Good hockey for a good price, which is ideal for students.

Old
04-15-2014, 12:12 PM
Beerfish

If they weren't owned by the oilers they could do a better job of stealing fans from them.

Old
04-15-2014, 12:45 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall2Nuge2Ebs View Post
The number one reason why Oil Kings games are empty is that it is exclusively marketed to kids. No offense but I feel like I'm at some sort of daycare when I go to a game
I share the sentiment but Im not sure that's the reason. Probably doesnt help though. Does the Rush market to kids?

Old
04-15-2014, 02:07 PM
April Ethereal
Eternal rains...

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I share the sentiment but Im not sure that's the reason. Probably doesnt help though. Does the Rush market to kids?
No. They do advertise an alcohol free section, but otherwise, it's a far more adult atmosphere.

Old
04-15-2014, 03:40 PM
MoneyGuy

I don't care how many kids are in attendance. In fact, I want them as they're loud and they often grow up to be fans. Bring 'em on.

Old
04-15-2014, 03:57 PM
April Ethereal
Eternal rains...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I don't care how many kids are in attendance. In fact, I want them as they're loud and they often grow up to be fans. Bring 'em on.
It's fun until you're getting kicked on the back of the head by some little snot who can't stay still.

Old
04-15-2014, 08:28 PM
Empros*

I hate kids as much as anyone but from my experiences there they are pretty well behaved.

Closed Thread