HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Oil Kings '13-'14 Thread: WHL CHAMPIONS!

View Poll Results: Do you like the Oil Kings new jerseys?
Yes 48 57.83%
No 22 26.51%
Unsure 13 15.66%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-07-2014, 11:48 PM
Brewster

vCash: 500
Heck of a game by the Kings. Jarry was superlative and Lazar had a beastly 3rd period. The entire defense again played fantastic, collapsing around Jarry very quickly after Portland shots and clearing away rebounds swiftly. Reinhart in particular was just unreal.

Jump on 'em in game 5 boys!

Old
05-08-2014, 12:34 AM
dookers9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
Comparing Oil King prices to the Oilers isn't a reasonable comparison (there's no way I'm paying $300 to watch the Oilers anyway).

It is still junior hockey (I.e. Not professional), I'd be interested to see what other teams charge per ticket.
Yeah, it's junior hockey, but the quality of the product makes it worth the dime.

So many Oilers fans (not suggesting you're one of them) complain that the Oilers aren't worth the ticket, fail to work and care enough. These kids work their tails off each shift, are a solid product, and actually win.

I find it surprising with all the bellyaching from Edmonton hockey fans that they don't break down the door to buy these playoff tickets.

Kudos to Portland's hockey fans and to those marketing their games. But really, what's a city in Oregon doing outselling Edmonton in playoff hockey attendance? Pretty bad, imo.

Old
05-08-2014, 12:53 AM
Tyrolean

Hope the Kings win but I really doubt it. The Hawks are too powerful.

Old
05-08-2014, 07:13 AM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
Hope the Kings win but I really doubt it. The Hawks are too powerful.
The OKs can win this if they play like the last two games. They've outplayed the Cheater Hawks and Jarry is on his game.

Old
05-08-2014, 09:33 AM
Jek McPorkins
Red Six

vCash: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookers9 View Post
Yeah, it's junior hockey, but the quality of the product makes it worth the dime.

So many Oilers fans (not suggesting you're one of them) complain that the Oilers aren't worth the ticket, fail to work and care enough. These kids work their tails off each shift, are a solid product, and actually win.

I find it surprising with all the bellyaching from Edmonton hockey fans that they don't break down the door to buy these playoff tickets.

Kudos to Portland's hockey fans and to those marketing their games. But really, what's a city in Oregon doing outselling Edmonton in playoff hockey attendance? Pretty bad, imo.
If you went to enough Oil Kings games, you'd know why. Several factors at work. Marketing, in-game promotion, lack of ticket scarcity to drive demand, playing second-fiddle to an NHL team, lots of weeknight games and clustered homestands, lots of freebies and 2-for-1's available.

Old
05-08-2014, 10:00 AM
Ghost Division
Pray for Matthews

vCash: 339
Rachinsky has been absolutely roasting Edmonton on Twitter for not supporting the Oil Kings. I hope more former players and hockey personalities jump on that wagon.

Old
05-08-2014, 10:11 AM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

vCash: 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Continuum View Post
Rachinsky has been absolutely roasting Edmonton on Twitter for not supporting the Oil Kings. I hope more former players and hockey personalities jump on that wagon.
He's right but maybe they should acknowledge the fans that DO support the team.

Tbh Im ok with less people going. Less people means its easier to get concessions, in and out of the parking lot, go to the bathroom etc.

So stay away and/or watch on tv. Its all good.

Also what happened to all those who were throwing the team under the bus after the first two games?

Old
05-08-2014, 10:17 AM
Ghost Division
Pray for Matthews

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post

Also what happened to all those who were throwing the team under the bus after the first two games?
Someone mentioned a bunch of Winterhawks have been hit with the flu. I'm wondering how much that has effected them.

But really, the team found their game at home. Even then, they were getting stomped in the first period of game three. It was about midway through the second period of game three that the tides turned. Yesterday was about as perfect a game as you can play against them.

They have to find a way to beat Portland at the Rose Garden, and that's going to be a monumental task.

Last edited by Ghost Division: 05-08-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old
05-08-2014, 10:33 AM
Replacement
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
Comparing Oil King prices to the Oilers isn't a reasonable comparison (there's no way I'm paying $300 to watch the Oilers anyway).

It is still junior hockey (I.e. Not professional), I'd be interested to see what other teams charge per ticket.
Not hard to find out. Most teams charge a lot less than the Oil Kings do. Its been a chronic complaint.

Portland even charges less and have a perennially great club.

http://www.winterhawks.com/page/tickets

Old
05-08-2014, 10:39 AM
Replacement
Checked out

Quote:
What purpose would this serve? Embarassing fans to come out. This as a ploy doesn't work anymore for the Oil Kings than it would for Edmonton Rush, Edmonton FC, etc.

One of the factors people forget about in these things is civic pride. Edmonton realistically doesn't have much. I'm old enough to remember when this city did. In the previous version of the Oil Kings back in the 60's and 70's the old Edmonton Gardens used to sellout playoff games. They had good regular season numbers as well. But that's back when Edmonton was a city replete with Edmontonians.
Edmonton's population has exploded since, and especially over the last decade and with a lot of people here not having a natural affinity, or connection, with things that are Edmontonian, or Edmonton brands.

Portland is a very branded city and with a lot of longterm civic boosters. Boosterism in Edmonton struggles due to how much influx there is, how many temp residents there are, and how few people that reside here actually consider themselves Edmontonians or connect with the place in any way. This impacts longterm residents as well. When I'm exposed to decades of people that can't stand Edmonton my enthusiasm, and anybodies, gets diminished as well. Experience this every week at work, play etc.

Without Civic sense and Boosterism things like Junior hockey typically struggle at the gate.

Old
05-08-2014, 10:58 AM
Ghost Division
Pray for Matthews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Not hard to find out. Most teams charge a lot less than the Oil Kings do. Its been a chronic complaint.

Portland even charges less and have a perennially great club.

http://www.winterhawks.com/page/tickets
$30 is about what I spent for similar seats at Rexall for games 3 and 4.

Season ticket prices aren't much worse than Portland's either. I just don't happen to have $1049 to plop down and it doesn't look like they offer payment plans.

Old
05-08-2014, 11:01 AM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

You can pay $99 and go see ALL the playoff games.

Doesnt get much cheaper than that.

Price isnt the issue.

Old
05-08-2014, 11:10 AM
Ghost Division
Pray for Matthews

Quote:
You can pay $99 and go see ALL the playoff games.

Doesnt get much cheaper than that.

Price isnt the issue.
I was considering that, but by the time I inquired, all they had was upper bowl. **** that.

I'm trying to figure out who to talk to about season tickets. Anyone know a number I would call or email?

Old
05-08-2014, 11:16 AM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

Quote:
I was considering that, but by the time I inquired, all they had was upper bowl. **** that.

I'm trying to figure out who to talk to about season tickets. Anyone know a number I would call or email?
The ATB playoff passes are only available in the upper bowl. That's where they are.

The Oil King season ticket office would be a good bet. Its the same as the Oiler ticket office.

There are good seats in the upper bowl. And it works out to under ten dollars a game.

Old
05-08-2014, 11:17 AM
Ghost Division
Pray for Matthews

Quote:
The ATB playoff passes are only available in the upper bowl. That's where they are.

The Oil King season ticket office would be a good bet. Its the same as the Oiler ticket office.
Ah, gotcha, that makes sense. Thanks dude.

Old
05-08-2014, 11:21 AM
Replacement
Checked out

Quote:

Season ticket prices aren't much worse than Portland's either. I just don't happen to have $1049 to plop down and it doesn't look like they offer payment plans.
Price isn't the biggest issue as per my post above regarding civic support which Edmonton doesn't currently have a lot of.

Quote:

99buck deal doesn't factor in the walk up crowd. This package kind of does the opposite of what the club wants it to do. Its a great deal, no doubt, but a lot of casual fans won't buy in because they would feel odd buying entire playoffs tickets when they won't make the commitment to spend the time to attend many games. Most people here will go to some Oil Kings games but aren't at all interested in say going to 15 games over the spring. Sure people can just not go, but you'd feel a little dirty occupying tickets somebody else could maybe use. Or maybe give aways happen a lot preventing people from buying more single game seats.

Next, the 99buck ticket deal I would imagine puts a major damper on walk up crowds being willing to spend the 35 bucks or whatever for 1 single game. Because contextually you feel ripped on the single ticket.

I think the 99buck deals rather than increase gate revenue end up basically giving it away and then with few people ever being a subsequent walk up crowd.

Again a great deal for fans passionate about the club. But that's a real shortlist and the team isn't doing anything to appeal to casual game day walk up buyers. They screwed the pooch real good on that one.

Last edited by Replacement: 05-08-2014 at 12:07 PM.
Old
05-08-2014, 12:03 PM
gizette2002

Quote:

Yes they do have payment plans and only the club seats are over
A grand on the other side they are a little over 700 and end seats are
Around 550

Old
05-08-2014, 01:41 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:

Daniel Troiani
780-409-2474

He handles my tickets and is excellent. When I want to choose seats we get on the phone and I have the seating plan on my computer and we get the best seats.

Old
05-08-2014, 03:03 PM
lopper

I will gladly admit I was wrong figuring the Hawks would walk all over the Kings after the first two games. Jarry will have to steal us the next game in Portland.

Old
05-08-2014, 03:38 PM
Ghost Division
Pray for Matthews

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizette2002 View Post
Yes they do have payment plans and only the club seats are over
A grand on the other side they are a little over 700 and end seats are
Around 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Daniel Troiani
780-409-2474

He handles my tickets and is excellent. When I want to choose seats we get on the phone and I have the seating plan on my computer and we get the best seats.
Thanks a lot guys, much appreciated.

Old
05-08-2014, 06:59 PM
iCanada

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up the Irons View Post
do you mean game 3 or 4? it sounded like the Kings had the better hand throughout the whole game tonight.

last night the Kings got dominated for the 1st, won the 2nd, and hung on for the 3rd.
I disagree, on Tuesday they didn't get outplayed in the first. They got beat a couple times on the rush, but we're taking about a period where they fired twenty pucks on net, hit the post twice, and were inches from a couple garbage goals too.

They tried to do too much for awhile after a suspect goal from Jarry and a bad give away early, but they were winning puck battles and races. Honestly I think they were the better team that whole game.

Old
05-08-2014, 09:48 PM
dookers9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
If you went to enough Oil Kings games, you'd know why. Several factors at work. Marketing, in-game promotion, lack of ticket scarcity to drive demand, playing second-fiddle to an NHL team, lots of weeknight games and clustered homestands, lots of freebies and 2-for-1's available.
Not sure how you want to define "enough games", and how that's really relevant. I don't have season's tickets to the OKs, but own half to the Oilers. In turn, I attend the occasional OKs game, so 4 or 5 a year, and a couple playoff games. And I'm well aware of some of the drawbacks to these games, a primary one is the habitual seat kicking by Kid X behind me.

But none of that speaks to my point. What does this city know of playoff hockey since '06? The OKs, is what. And yet this city largely sleeps through it. The fact the OKs rein in 5 or 6K or so per game during the reg season means little. The fact that they haven't drawn >10K in their first two games of this final series leaves me shaking my head.

I'll be there Sunday regardless of the little nose picker that may be behind me or the fact my ticket might be overpriced. Talk to me all you want about cost, inconvenience, marketing, etc. This is our last chance to support these kids this year. It's what they deserve.

Old
05-08-2014, 09:57 PM
dookers9

Quote:

Grabbed 6 through Kijiji @ $20 per. Was told same price even for 2, so that rate isn't reduced on account of lump purchase.

Price CAN'T be issue.

Old
05-08-2014, 10:36 PM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

Quote:

$1049 is the top price. There's seats available (center ice lower bowl) for $749 and end seats lower bowl for $549. Any of these seats can be had with a minimal downpayment (ie $100 or less) with the balance due in approx four months. So it isnt like you need over a grand on hand right now to get a season ticket.

There are also flex packs and local charities who sell vouchers for approx $15 per ticket, good for any side seat in the house on the non club side of the rink.

Old
05-08-2014, 10:37 PM
Brewster

Who cares if the crowds have been small? They've been loud and supportive of the team. If people are shirking Oil Kings games because of marketing/lack of civic duty/misconceptions about junior hockey/etc, they've been needlessly missing out on an excellent product and that's their problem. I think we also have to consider that Edmonton isn't a hockey town, it's an Oiler town.

Anyways, hopefully the flu bug stays strong in the Portland room. Should be a good one tomorrow!

Closed Thread