HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

13/14 Power Play units

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-21-2013, 05:10 PM
  #1
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 11,773
vCash: 500
13/14 Power Play units

I see our pp units being made up of these 10 players. I split them up into these 2 units just to give a better visual

1. Giroux, Voracek, Kimmo, Simmons, hartnell

2. Vinny, Streit, Schenn Couturier and Read


What i like about this is that we have our top 8 forwards getting pp time. However I don't like the fact that Gus is getting no PP time , especially when it would be nice to groom him into taking over that role once kimmo retires.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 05:20 PM
  #2
BillDineen
Registered User
 
BillDineen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I see our pp units being made up of these 10 players. I split them up into these 2 units just to give a better visual

1. Giroux, Voracek, Kimmo, Simmons, hartnell

2. Vinny, Streit, Schenn Couturier and Read


What i like about this is that we have our top 8 forwards getting pp time. However I don't like the fact that Gus is getting no PP time , especially when it would be nice to groom him into taking over that role once kimmo retires.
I like them. Schenn is going to have to commit and be in front on the second. Vinny likes the right half board.

BillDineen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 05:27 PM
  #3
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 11,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
I like them. Schenn is going to have to commit and be in front on the second. Vinny likes the right half board.
i was thinking of splitting up hartnell and simmer but i know hartnell likes the high slot and simmer is better down low.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 05:34 PM
  #4
dookie88
Registered User
 
dookie88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
I like them. Schenn is going to have to commit and be in front on the second. Vinny likes the right half board.
I'd be ok with both Couturier and Schenn in front of the net. Kind of like Hartnell and Simmonds on the first.
Read on the left half board, Vinny on the right and Streit out top.

---------------------Simmonds/Couturier-----------------------------

-Giroux/Read--------Hartnell/Schenn---------Voracek/Lecavalier-

------------------------Timonen/Streit--------------------------------

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 05:35 PM
  #5
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?
 
Four Boilermakers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,176
vCash: 500
1: Giroux, Hartnell, Simmonds, Timonen, Voracek

2: Lecavalier, Couturier, B Schenn, Streit, Read

Four Boilermakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 05:58 PM
  #6
flyersfan018
Registered User
 
flyersfan018's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,493
vCash: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 View Post
1: Giroux, Hartnell, Simmonds, Timonen, Voracek

2: Lecavalier, Couturier, B Schenn, Streit, Read
Isn't this what OP said?

flyersfan018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 07:02 PM
  #7
flyersfan28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 421
vCash: 500
1.giroux,schenn,simmonds,voracek,timonen

2.lecavalier,couturier,hartnell,streit,read/gustafsson

if mcginn play i like having him in front of the net for the rebound

flyersfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 07:33 PM
  #8
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 8,979
vCash: 500
If Streit is not on the first PP unit scoring a lot of points and giving Kimmo much needed rest then he isn't worth $5.25 million a year.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 07:50 PM
  #9
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
If Streit is not on the first PP unit scoring a lot of points and giving Kimmo much needed rest then he isn't worth $5.25 million a year.
At the same token (assuming Lavi keeps the first unit in tact) if Streit & Vinny improve the second unit it will give Lavi an opportunity to not rely as heavily on the first unit.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 08:17 PM
  #10
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?
 
Four Boilermakers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan018 View Post
Isn't this what OP said?
Well then we probably agree with each other. I had actually typed out the names in their positions on the PP unit, but when I clicked "submit" the formatting got screwed up, so I just changed it to the list of names.

Four Boilermakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 09:08 PM
  #11
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?
 
Roo Mad Bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,011
vCash: 500
The 2nd PP unit was terrible last year.

It would be nice to have a competent 2nd unit so the 1st isn't so dependent on the success of the team.

Lecavalier and Streit should help immensely, plus the continued growth of Couturier and Schenn.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 09:52 PM
  #12
FLYguy3911
Registered User
 
FLYguy3911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 5,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
If Streit is not on the first PP unit scoring a lot of points and giving Kimmo much needed rest then he isn't worth $5.25 million a year.


Because being on the PP is so taxing. The PP is Kimmo's bread and butter. If he isn't out there, then he isn't worth $6 million. That unit has been so good there's no reason to break them up (especially when this team relies on the PP a lot). Ice time is a lot like a pitch count. There' strenuous minutes and there's easy minutes. The PP = easy minutes.

As for the second unit, you finally have two guys that you can run the PP through. The second unit struggled all year last year because they had no one that could (or wanted to) control the play. If Raffl makes the team, I could see Lavy wanting to get a look at him on that unit. Couturier got his shot last year in the beginning of the year and didn't grasp his opportunity. He looks better this year, but he could be on a short leash.

Quote:
What i like about this is that we have our top 8 forwards getting pp time. However I don't like the fact that Gus is getting no PP time , especially when it would be nice to groom him into taking over that role once kimmo retires.
Give it up. He's not replacing Kimmo in any form. Lavy pretty much gave up on the idea of playing Gus on the PP (Luke Schenn was ahead of him on the PP depth chart last year!!!) He was a good AHL QB, but for whatever reason it hasn't translated. With Streit in the mix for the next number of years, Gostisbehere coming sooner than people think, and Peter's preference for 4 forwards, Gus will be nothing more than a fallback option.

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 10:24 PM
  #13
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post


Because being on the PP is so taxing. The PP is Kimmo's bread and butter. If he isn't out there, then he isn't worth $6 million. That unit has been so good there's no reason to break them up (especially when this team relies on the PP a lot). Ice time is a lot like a pitch count. There' strenuous minutes and there's easy minutes. The PP = easy minutes.

As for the second unit, you finally have two guys that you can run the PP through. The second unit struggled all year last year because they had no one that could (or wanted to) control the play. If Raffl makes the team, I could see Lavy wanting to get a look at him on that unit. Couturier got his shot last year in the beginning of the year and didn't grasp his opportunity. He looks better this year, but he could be on a short leash.



Give it up. He's not replacing Kimmo in any form. Lavy pretty much gave up on the idea of playing Gus on the PP (Luke Schenn was ahead of him on the PP depth chart last year!!!) He was a good AHL QB, but for whatever reason it hasn't translated. With Streit in the mix for the next number of years, Gostisbehere coming sooner than people think, and Peter's preference for 4 forwards, Gus will be nothing more than a fallback option.
What?

Gus was 3rd behind only Kimmo and Mesz in pp toi/g last season. Heck Foster and Coburn had a higher pp toi/g then Luke last season. With Mez def on his way out and Kimmo here for two years maximum it wouldn't surprise me to see Streit and Gus as our two ppqbs at least until someone else better comes. And I don't know where this Ghost will be here sooner then people think is coming from. He said he wants to finish college which mean two more years. If he's ready after that, and that a big if considering his weight and the fact that he's a d-man looking to make the jump to the NHL from college, I still don't think I'd have him qbing a pp unit.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 11:09 PM
  #14
Flyerss
Registered User
 
Flyerss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4,757
vCash: 175
if it ain't broke don't fix it, but i think Lavi will move Lecavalier to the 1st unit instead of Hartnell

Flyerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 03:00 AM
  #15
FLYguy3911
Registered User
 
FLYguy3911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 5,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
What?

Gus was 3rd behind only Kimmo and Mesz in pp toi/g last season. Heck Foster and Coburn had a higher pp toi/g then Luke last season. With Mez def on his way out and Kimmo here for two years maximum it wouldn't surprise me to see Streit and Gus as our two ppqbs at least until someone else better comes. And I don't know where this Ghost will be here sooner then people think is coming from. He said he wants to finish college which mean two more years. If he's ready after that, and that a big if considering his weight and the fact that he's a d-man looking to make the jump to the NHL from college, I still don't think I'd have him qbing a pp unit.
I wasn't making a case for Luke Schenn. He has no business being on the PP. At the end of the year when Meszaros and Coburnwent down, and Foster fell out of favor, Luke Schenn was playing the point on the 2nd PP a good bit. When Timonen missed those few games at the end of the year, they put Gustafsson in his spot on the first unit.

As far as being third in PP toi/g, is that really impressive amongst a group of offensive dynamos such as Bruno Gervais, Nicklas Grossmann, Oliver Lauridsen, Kurtis Foster, and the rest of the gang? You also have to consider the Flyers go with 4 forwards 95% of the time. But to play along, Matt Carle averaged a minute more of PP time than Gus (and his 25 game sample size) over 3 years as the third guy in the pecking order. All that said, Gustafsson managed a whole power play point last season. Hell in the World Championships I don't even think he was getting PP time on a team with 1 other NHL defenseman.

Regarding Gostisbehere, what do you expect the kid to say? He has a commitment and there was no formal contract offer. Everyone leaves this quote out as well: "I would definitely be tempted to sign" [if offered a contract]. The Flyers will have some pull at the end of the year if they want him to sign. The last thing they want is for his development to stagnate. He needs to be challenged. It's no coincidence that most NHL prospects, who go the college route, don't play their senior seasons.

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 08:41 AM
  #16
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
I wasn't making a case for Luke Schenn. He has no business being on the PP. At the end of the year when Meszaros and Coburnwent down, and Foster fell out of favor, Luke Schenn was playing the point on the 2nd PP a good bit. When Timonen missed those few games at the end of the year, they put Gustafsson in his spot on the first unit.

As far as being third in PP toi/g, is that really impressive amongst a group of offensive dynamos such as Bruno Gervais, Nicklas Grossmann, Oliver Lauridsen, Kurtis Foster, and the rest of the gang? You also have to consider the Flyers go with 4 forwards 95% of the time. But to play along, Matt Carle averaged a minute more of PP time than Gus (and his 25 game sample size) over 3 years as the third guy in the pecking order. All that said, Gustafsson managed a whole power play point last season. Hell in the World Championships I don't even think he was getting PP time on a team with 1 other NHL defenseman.

Regarding Gostisbehere, what do you expect the kid to say? He has a commitment and there was no formal contract offer. Everyone leaves this quote out as well: "I would definitely be tempted to sign" [if offered a contract]. The Flyers will have some pull at the end of the year if they want him to sign. The last thing they want is for his development to stagnate. He needs to be challenged. It's no coincidence that most NHL prospects, who go the college route, don't play their senior seasons.
No, I'm not overly impressed with Gus' play on the pp but as you pointed out yourself it's a small sample size and considering the Flyers won't have any better options unless something drastic happens he'll get pp time assuming of course Kimmo doesn't come back. I was merely pointing out that Schenn mostly definitely won't get pp time when Gus is available as you stated.

And as far as Ghost is concerned he needs to dominate college before we can talk about giving him a bigger challenge. In one years time if he tried to make the jump to the NHL he would get destroyed. There's a reason most d-man don't make the jump straight from juniors/college to the NHL.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 08:46 AM
  #17
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB
 
dingbathero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St. John's, NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,831
vCash: 500
1st - Voracek, Kimmo, Giroux, Vinny, Simmonds

2nd - Striet, Coots, B. Schenn, Read, Hartnell

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 10:41 AM
  #18
dookie88
Registered User
 
dookie88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
If Streit is not on the first PP unit scoring a lot of points and giving Kimmo much needed rest then he isn't worth $5.25 million a year.
I thought we've all come to the consensus that he isn't worth $5.25m a year, already.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 11:31 AM
  #19
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,284
vCash: 500
Those units are fine, but they should find a way to work gus in enough to see what he's got. There's enough indication that he could be a long term solution to warrant giving him some pp ice time

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 11:49 AM
  #20
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,110
vCash: 500
If Gus is on this team, he needs PP time on the 2nd unit

And no, he won't be groomed to replace Timonen. He isn't going to be that good

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 12:06 PM
  #21
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
If Gus is on this team, he needs PP time on the 2nd unit

And no, he won't be groomed to replace Timonen. He isn't going to be that good
Where is this coming from? Someone said Kimmo will be gone soon so Gus needs pp time to improve for the future. Specifically they said "it would be nice to groom him into taking over that role". No one ever said he's a Kimmo replacement.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 12:41 PM
  #22
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 8,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post


Because being on the PP is so taxing. The PP is Kimmo's bread and butter. If he isn't out there, then he isn't worth $6 million. That unit has been so good there's no reason to break them up (especially when this team relies on the PP a lot). Ice time is a lot like a pitch count. There' strenuous minutes and there's easy minutes. The PP = easy minutes.

As for the second unit, you finally have two guys that you can run the PP through. The second unit struggled all year last year because they had no one that could (or wanted to) control the play. If Raffl makes the team, I could see Lavy wanting to get a look at him on that unit. Couturier got his shot last year in the beginning of the year and didn't grasp his opportunity. He looks better this year, but he could be on a short leash.



Give it up. He's not replacing Kimmo in any form. Lavy pretty much gave up on the idea of playing Gus on the PP (Luke Schenn was ahead of him on the PP depth chart last year!!!) He was a good AHL QB, but for whatever reason it hasn't translated. With Streit in the mix for the next number of years, Gostisbehere coming sooner than people think, and Peter's preference for 4 forwards, Gus will be nothing more than a fallback option.
Ice time is still ice time and the team will suffer if Kimmo is asked to play 22 minutes as a 38 year old.

Streit has a better shot and shouldn't be on the PK unless there's an emergency. He should be given every chance to contribute on the power play.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 06:30 PM
  #23
Tripod
Registered User
 
Tripod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 9,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I see our pp units being made up of these 10 players. I split them up into these 2 units just to give a better visual

1. Giroux, Voracek, Kimmo, Simmons, hartnell

2. Vinny, Streit, Schenn Couturier and Read


What i like about this is that we have our top 8 forwards getting pp time. However I don't like the fact that Gus is getting no PP time , especially when it would be nice to groom him into taking over that role once kimmo retires.
By keeping the PP units like this it does a few REALLY good things.

1. If our fist line is tired and just coming off of ES, we have the 2nd unit which is all rested. And conversely, if our 2nd, 3rd or 4th line was just on the ice, we have a fresh 1st line ready to go. Striet and Kimmo can switch off depending who is freshest.

2. Schenn and Couts get a vet like Vinny to help them AND have Kimmo or Streit at the point on D. This added experince will help and it won't be a big deal to have them start a PP if our 1st line was just out on ES.

3. If Kimmo retires next year, then Gus can step into a more offensive role. And he will have more experience too. And delaying Gus's PP points also keeps his salary down for next year. Rather have a medium breakout once he is locked in cheap for a few years.

4. Having the PP lines like this, if we don't score on either one, we can always come back with our fresh 4th line right away and then we are quickly back to out 1st line ready to go with

All I hope for is that Schenn is signed soon because I do think a breakout is coming.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 07:41 PM
  #24
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
All I hope for is that Schenn is signed soon because I do think a breakout is coming.
I doubt he's signed before the start of the season based on what I've heard in interviews and stuff.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 07:57 PM
  #25
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 8,979
vCash: 500
Kadri scored at a 75 point pace and got 2.9m a year for two years.

So I'm not worried about Schenn's next deal.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.