HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ottawa waives Jim O'Brien; clears

Old
09-26-2013, 12:02 PM
caley

vCash: 500
Ottawa waives Jim O'Brien; clears

O'Brien put on waivers today by Ottawa. Serviceable 4th liner/penalty killer. Seems like a player teams might take a stab at.

09-26-2013, 12:08 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 130
I don't know at this point teams have their own guys that they want to try out in the 4th line spot. He's not overly physical, not good at faceoffs and provides little upside.

He might be better than say a Will Acton, but it's doubtful teams are going to waste a spot on a guy for such a marginal upgrade.

His only hope is some team out there really loves him.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 12:08 PM
Senators65

vCash: 5640
Cowick, Ecford and Lawson all are waived too just fyi.

Senators65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 12:10 PM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensBruins4Ever View Post
Cowick, Ecford and Lawson all are waived to just fyi.
He knows, just that JOB is almost an interesting enough player to get his own thread here.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 12:11 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Seemed like a guy I wanted Buffalo to take a risk on when it has been said all summer that he was on the trade block or would be waived if a trade wasn't found. I'm not so sure now. Johan Larsson looks good enough to make it and we have Kevin Porter too. The need for a fourth-line center might not be there right now.

I could easily see him being claimed by someone and can easily see him clear. It can go either way. Not a surprise for Ottawa though.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 12:12 PM
Senators65

vCash: 5640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
Seemed like a guy I wanted Buffalo to take a risk on when it has been said all summer that he was on the trade block or would be waived if a trade wasn't found. I'm not so sure now. Johan Larsson looks good enough to make it and we have Kevin Porter too. The need for a fourth-line center might not be there right now.

I could easily see him being claimed by someone and can easily see him clear. It can go either way. Not a surprise for Ottawa though.
I am hoping he gets claimed by a team because there is zero chance he plays on the sens at this point.

Senators65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 12:19 PM
caley

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
He knows, just that JOB is almost an interesting enough player to get his own thread here.
You got it! I've been putting up separate threads for the most well-known/possibly getting picked up players on here (Ryan Jones, Linus Omark...who knew about Cliche and MacIntyre?!) to promote discussion on said players, rather than have it all in the stickied waivers thread.

caley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 12:24 PM
SpezDispenser

As mentioned in this thread, other teams have their own players they want to make their lineups. I doubt he'll be claimed. Maybe a team like Edmonton, but still doubt it.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 12:29 PM
armani
Guy Likes

vCash: 50
JOB is a decent 4th liner, unfortunately he's behind Smith in that department. Wish him good luck, as he seemingly doesn't have a future with this organizaton under Maclean.

Ottawa's centre depth chart (from those remaining on training camp, not counting juniour prospects):

Spezza
Turris
Zibanejad
Pageau
Smith
Da Costa
JOB

armani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 12:33 PM
armani
Guy Likes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
As mentioned in this thread, other teams have their own players they want to make their lineups. I doubt he'll be claimed. Maybe a team like Edmonton, but still doubt it.
Edmonton and Calgary need more of a Da Costa type player than JOB.

Jobber is a decent 4th line centre who can kill penalty, eat up minutes, and occasionally chip in offensively. Hearsay has it that he fell out of favour with the team for his "extra curriculars/heat with fellow team mate", and not because of his performance.

However, an offensive juggernaut he will never be.

Old
09-26-2013, 12:46 PM
BigZKingK

The guy was our leading scorer for a long stretch last year

BigZKingK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 12:51 PM
sens613

Quote:
Originally Posted by armani View Post

Jobber is a decent 4th line centre who can kill penalty, eat up minutes, and occasionally chip in offensively. Hearsay has it that he fell out of favour with the team for his "extra curriculars/heat with fellow team mate", and not because of his performance.

I saw him with 6 other sens players having dinner earlier this week so I doubt he had friction with teammates.

sens613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 12:57 PM
caley

I honestly could definitely see him picked up. Sure a lot of teams have players like him, but with teams in cap crunches, a 4th line player with experience making only $638,000 might be very attractive.

Philadelphia: $1.4 million over the cap. Slotting O'Brien into the lineup over a guy like Scott Laughton would knock $500,000 off their cap.

San Jose: $1.0 million over cap. Replacing James Sheppard with O'Brien would cut their cap by almost $200,000

NY Rangers: $294k over cap. Replacing Asham, Powe or JT Miller in the lineup with O'Brien would knock off $300-400,000 off their cap.

Toronto: $217k over cap. I'm curious if the drop-off from Jay McClement to Jim O'Brien would be that drastic that it would outweight the $862,000 worth of savings that would create.

I realize these teams have other moves at their disposal, but I wouldn't write O'Brien off as a waiver wire acquisition...yet.

caley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 01:09 PM
TheStranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
I honestly could definitely see him picked up. Sure a lot of teams have players like him, but with teams in cap crunches, a 4th line player with experience making only $638,000 might be very attractive.

Philadelphia: $1.4 million over the cap. Slotting O'Brien into the lineup over a guy like Scott Laughton would knock $500,000 off their cap.

San Jose: $1.0 million over cap. Replacing James Sheppard with O'Brien would cut their cap by almost $200,000

NY Rangers: $294k over cap. Replacing Asham, Powe or JT Miller in the lineup with O'Brien would knock off $300-400,000 off their cap.

Toronto: $217k over cap. I'm curious if the drop-off from Jay McClement to Jim O'Brien would be that drastic that it would outweight the $862,000 worth of savings that would create.

I realize these teams have other moves at their disposal, but I wouldn't write O'Brien off as a waiver wire acquisition...yet.
Drastic dropoff

TheStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 01:17 PM
armani
Guy Likes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sens613 View Post
I saw him with 6 other sens players having dinner earlier this week so I doubt he had friction with teammates.
That was last year, hence his surprise banishment when he was leading the depleted lineup in scoring.

I believe he had beef with Kassian (odd), and he also broke a few gamenight curfew rules. He is also not the sharpest tool in the toolbox based on people who have met him around Kanata (mostly at Crazy Horse).

Still a good, serviceable, still young 4th line centre with non-stop motors and a NOSE for the net.

Old
09-26-2013, 01:23 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

I'm going to miss that mug.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 01:25 PM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
Originally Posted by armani View Post

Wrestling fans should get a kick out of a 4th line NHL/AHL tweener being nicknamed "jobber".

ManofSteel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 01:27 PM
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post

mcclement to jim obrien would not work in toronto. Jay is our number 1 PK C.....

KapG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 01:27 PM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
Originally Posted by sens613 View Post
I doubt he would be the first guy to have dinner with people who didn't like him.

ManofSteel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 01:31 PM
BigZKingK

Per Sens website

Projected pre-season game 6 lines

Montreal Canadiens

Forwards

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Briere

Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta

Galchenyuk - Eller - Gallagher

Bournival - White - Moen

Defence

Subban - Markov

Gorges - Bealieu

Boullion - Diaz

Goaltenders

Price

Budaj

Ottawa Senators

Forwards

Stone - Smith - Conacher

Puempel - Zibanejad - Hoffman

Dziursynski - Grant - Robinson

Kassian - O'Brien - Lazar

Defence

Cowen - Wideman

Claesson - Borowiecki

Sdao - Ceci

Goaltenders

Anderson

Lehner

can he actully play that game?

BigZKingK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 01:36 PM
armani
Guy Likes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZKingK View Post
Per Sens website

Kassian - O'Brien - Lazar

can he actully play that game?
Yes, until he gets picked up by another team. Otherwise, he can play the rest of the preseason (including the split squad game against the Isles).

A waived player can also play for the top team if he's never sent down.

Old
09-26-2013, 01:43 PM
armani
Guy Likes

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
I'm going to miss that mug.
The nose may not pick up a scent and might end up depthing Smith as 4th line C injury call-up.

Old
09-26-2013, 01:54 PM
Konk

Funny how players develop (or don't).

At one point O'Brien was considered the top '89 in the US (along with Nick Petrecki).

Konk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 01:58 PM
newerabegins

He could be a good 3rd line C if given the opportunity. An excellent 4th line C if not. He got the shaft in OTT for some reason.

newerabegins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 02:06 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
Funny how players develop (or don't).

At one point O'Brien was considered the top '89 in the US (along with Nick Petrecki).
Both on waivers today...how poetic!

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote