Notices

2013-14 Providence Bruins all purpose thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-22-2013, 07:59 PM
Alan Ryan

vCash: 500
2013-14 Providence Bruins all purpose thread

Providence starts training camp today and a number of very good Bruins prospects will be there. If you live in the southern New England area you can head for camp, starting Tuesday, and let us know how they are doing.

The Providence Bruins, entering their 22nd season in the American Hockey League, announced their training camp schedule for the 2013-2014 season. Camp is set to begin on Monday, September 23 and will run through Saturday, September 28, with sessions to be held at the Rhode Island Sports Center and the Dunkiní Donuts Center.

Please note that training camp practices held at the Rhode Island Sports Center are open to the public.

The full training camp schedule, including Providenceís two preseason games, are as follows:
Monday, September 23- Rhode Island Sports Center 10:30am Ė Noon
Tuesday, September 24- Rhode Island Sports Center 10:00am - Noon
Wednesday September 25- Rhode Island Sports Center 10am - Noon
Thursday September 26- Dunkiní Donuts Center- 10am- Noon
Friday September 27- Dunkiní Donuts Center 10:30am- Noon
P-Bruins vs. Worcester at New England Sports Center, Marlborough, MA 7:00pm
Saturday September 28- Dunkiní Donuts Center 9:30am-10:20am
Dunkiní Donuts Pre-Season Game & FanFest - Dunkiní Donuts Center:
Fan Fest begins at 1:00pm
P-Bruins vs. Worcester at 3:05pm

http://www.providencebruins.com/View/PressReleases/1153

It looks like Providence will have another good team this season, which is terrific for developing Bruins prospects. Let's use this thread to discuss their progress.

Old
09-22-2013, 08:23 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
forwards in no order positionally or otherwise just popping into my head

Spooner
Camper
Knight
Camara
Griffith
Koko
Fraser
Cunningham
Florek
Robins
Lindblad (maybe if part of his FA deal isn't the 13th guy)
Flick
Randall

anyone else????

DEFENSE

Morrow
Warsofsky
Cross
Trotman
Miller
Casto

anyone else???

that is quite the group- lines anyone

Fraser-Spooner-Knight (I just freaking cursed him)

Lindblad-Camper-Cunningham

(although part of Lindblad deal may be first line LW)

Camara-Koko-Griffith (rookie league line)

Florek could be anywhere from 1-3....I think of a more talented Byron Bitz (btw- Byron Bitz got one of the three stars in game 7 playoff loss to Carolina just 4 years ago)

4th line that includes Robins, Flick, Randall

Old
09-22-2013, 08:50 PM
nycbruins*

Fallstrom is in the mix at forward & no way randell plays over robins, think Randell's headed for South Carolina.

Mike Moore will be the older veteran on d.

By the way, with all due respect, if you're going to get on people for tearing down knight, I think you might want to take it easy on your clear agendas against Reilly smith & Matt lindblad. It's unbecoming of a go-to poster.

Old
09-22-2013, 09:10 PM
DKH

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbruins View Post
Fallstrom is in the mix at forward & no way randell plays over robins, think Randell's headed for South Carolina.

By the way, with all due respect, if you're going to get on people for tearing down knight, I think you might want to take it easy on your clear agendas against Reilly smith & Matt lindblad. It's unbecoming of a go-to poster.
thanks for pointing out the guys I missed I'm surprised not any more

as for tearing down Smith- I like him....as WBC8 who traded for him in our SIM league after I told him a bunch of stuff I got from players/folks that know him and have seen him play. He certainly knows I needle Smith but when push came to shove in that league I was trying to trade for him and Lou had the chance and I gave him my thoughts (mostly positive) and he grabbed him up. He is not without warts but overall I think he can be a very good NHLer- Kirk wrote a very informative summary of his take earlier today

I admit busting on him but I certainly like him. (I bust on Cabello Blanco here but I like him also and he craps all over Knight but in a weird way I kind of have gotten to expect it, and it cracks me up)

Lindblad is interesting- my kid will tell you since I went to every development camp day and many training camp practices would say 'what is he talking about' and tomorrow when we go to the game if I remember I will just ask her 'what do you think I think of Lindblad' and she will certainly say you like him a lot.

The fact that my boy Knight got sent down and Lindblad stayed irritated me but as my bud Joe who also posts here as Glorydaze told me, Lindblad agent probably negotiated a deal for camp....I do think its garbage but hey, that is what agents do. I wanted Knight to get the Detroit game but Lindblad got it imo not because he deserved it but because of some likely signing perk. Knight was very good in Florida, and got thumbs up in the Capitals game. He is from Michigan and would have had huge family throng and some guy gets to play who has zero chance of playing in Boston gets it. ridiculous and I feel no shame riding him on this perceived signing thingy

as for a go to poster- I am not sure I understand that? I post so much I am probably just in the way at times but I never consider myself along the lines of many here that do this professionally- even Bill Ladd who I do know, and have a lot of respect for as a writer, evaluator- and certainly and more importantly a person, I have taken shots at including his recent lines that sure in retrospect look correct

the one guy I feel bad about taking shots at is Fraser over the summer- I actually like him from what I have seen although Haggs said last night he struggled

Last edited by DKH: 09-22-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old
09-22-2013, 09:10 PM
Dellstrom
Pastrnasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post

Spooner
Camper
Knight
Camara
Griffith
Koko
Fraser
Cunningham
Florek
Robins
Flick
Randall

anyone else????

DEFENSE

Morrow
Warsofsky
Cross
Trotman
Miller
Casto

anyone else???

Florek could be anywhere from 1-3....I think of a more talented Byron Bitz (btw- Byron Bitz got one of the three stars in game 7 playoff loss to Carolina just 4 years ago)

That's one hell of a top-9.

Old
09-22-2013, 10:36 PM
Watch for the Yeti

Really wish training camp wasn't at 10:30 AM on a weekday.

Old
09-22-2013, 11:15 PM
Ratty

But how can this team possibly develop any NHL prospects with Cassidy as HC?

Old
09-23-2013, 12:39 AM
MillerTime 86
So Long Tyler SeQuin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
But how can this team possibly develop any NHL prospects with Cassidy as HC?
Give him a highly-talented roster and a piping-hot goaltender?

Old
09-23-2013, 06:52 AM
TCL40

Did the team make more cuts and send Spooner down or is this list assuming Spooner doesn't make the big team? Personally I figure Spooner will end up in Providence but I hope he gets to stick around the big B camp longer-he has earned it.

Old
09-23-2013, 06:59 AM
DKH

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCL40 View Post
Did the team make more cuts and send Spooner down or is this list assuming Spooner doesn't make the big team? Personally I figure Spooner will end up in Providence but I hope he gets to stick around the big B camp longer-he has earned it.
Read Globe today on Spooner- hmmmm

Old
09-23-2013, 07:42 AM
Jeff077

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post

Spooner
Camper
Knight
Camara
Griffith
Koko
Fraser
Cunningham
Florek
Robins
Flick
Randall

anyone else????

DEFENSE

Morrow
Warsofsky
Cross
Trotman
Miller
Casto

anyone else???

I would think Nick Johnson or Caron will be in the top 9 mix as well, whoever does not get the 13th forward spot, if Smith wins the 3rd line job in Boston.

Old
09-23-2013, 08:10 AM
Fire Julien

Caron probably wouldn't crack that top 9.

Old
09-23-2013, 08:44 AM
nycbruins*

What about spooner in the globe?

Old
09-23-2013, 12:10 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Former Boston College G Johnny Muse in Providence for camp...loved that guy when he was at Nobles (with Devils D Mark Fayne btw). Carolina did not re-sign him.

He won 89 games for the Eagles from 2007-11 including 2 NCAA titles.

Would great to see him stick, but don't really see it happening unless someone gets hurt. He's smallish but a total battler and competitor.

Old
09-23-2013, 12:16 PM
Alicat
City of Champions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbruins View Post

Randell's likely to stick until Robbins returns from his knee injury which should be next week according to the 2 week timetable the B's gave him.

I am Boston Strong

Old
09-23-2013, 12:42 PM
Malt
#wpri12steve

I'll be sure to add more to this conversation once the Providence lineup is determined (which may not happen until after Boston and Providence finish their preseason games).

If Spooner sticks with Boston, Providence has a different dynamic, for sure...

BTW, regarding the whole Knight/Lindblad deal...Lindblad did have more points than Knight last year while playing fewer regular games

Old
09-23-2013, 12:50 PM
Fenian24

Providence roster as of this morning

Forwards (15): Anthony Camara, Scott Campbell, Carter Camper, Jack Downing, Alexander Fallstrom, Rob Flick, Justin Florek, Igor Gongalsky, Seth Griffith, Marc Hagel, Alexander Khokhlachev, Jared Knight, Tyler Murovich, Tyler Randell and Wayne Simpson

Defensemen (9): Chris Casto, Tommy Cross, Guillaume Lepine, Joe Morrow, Issac Smeltzer, Steven Spinell, Zach Trotman, Luka Vidmar and Ben Youds

Goaltenders (3): Adam Morrison, John Muse and Malcolm Subban

Old
09-23-2013, 12:51 PM
roflstomper
I don't row.

Last year Svedberg played out of his mind which no goalie will come close to this year for them. There is also probably no Krug or Bartkowski as well as taking away Bourque and Tardiff's offensive output. They'll be able to score this year, no doubt, but forward two way play, defense and golatending aren't anything to wriye home about. It will be another good year of development for the players but they're not actually gonna win anything.

Old
09-23-2013, 04:03 PM
bigbadbruins7

anyone go today or know how the practice was and what they did? thinking about going tomorrow or wednesday

Old
09-23-2013, 07:53 PM
Alan Ryan

This looks like the group that will end up in Providence. No idea what the lines and pairings will be at this point.

Smith, Spooner, Johnson or Caron could end up in Boston.

Forwards

Camara-LW
Camper-C
Caron-LW
Cunningham-LW
Fallstrom-RW
Flick-C
Florek-LW
Fraser-LW
Griffith-RW
Johnson-RW
Khoklachev-C
Knight-RW
Lindblad-LW
Robins-RW
Randell-RW
Smith-RW
Spooner-C

Defensemen

Casto-R
Cross-L
Miller-R
Moore-L
Morrow-L
Trotman-R
Warsofsky-L

Goaltenders

Svedberg
Subban

Muse

Old
09-23-2013, 08:44 PM
Alan Ryan

What will Subban end up with for ice time in Providence? He intends to compete for the top job, but lacks professional experience. The attached article by Mark Divver (Providence Journal) looks at his chances.

Here's what Coach Cassidy had to say.

With the start of the regular season 12 days away, Cassidy said it's still early to try to define what Subban's workload will be. "Itís hard to say until we get a second goaltender down here. [Boston has] to sort that out. My guess is heíll compete for the net. Without seeing him much, I canít tell you where I assume heíll be good or where heíll struggle.

"Heís a young guy. The first thing those guys go through, the growing pains, is the professionalism part. Practicing well, looking after themselves in terms of nutrition and fitness so they are in the best position [to play well]. The guys that figure that out in a hurry are the ones that have success quicker.
"Itís very difficult, in any league, to get by just on talent. You can do it for a weekend or two,'' but not over the long haul, Cassidy said.

"Weíll see how that plays out. After that, heíll compete with whoever is here for the net, the No. 1 job. Obviously, if itís [Niklas] Svedberg, with the year he had last year, itís going to be tough competition. [Chad] Johnson, I donít know as much about, but heís a very good goaltender as well. [Subban will] be given that opportunity and weíll see how he handles it.''

Full article: http://www.providencejournal.com/spo...r-p-bruins.ece

Old
09-26-2013, 04:08 PM
PepeBostones

Alan or anybody!!!!

Anything special from Providence Bruins camp? Have the Bruins had a better farm team since 1970 when they had Reg Leach, Ivan Boldirev, Gregg Sheppard and Rick MacLeish among other's in Oklahoma of the now defunct CHL and in Hershey of AHL had Dan Bouchard in goal, Don Marcotte also I believed played in Hershey. Remember they picked Leach 3th and MacLeish 4th I Think in the 1970 draft. DKH GeeWally you may add a few.
Really can't understand that the both Bruins team weakness in a big way are their web sites.
So, Alan really appreciate your post. Keep them coming.

Old
09-28-2013, 06:55 PM
Malt
#wpri12steve

A couple of quick thoughts from today's 3-1 preseason win by the Baby Bs over the Sharks:

-Subban looked great. Good athleticism, good positioning and kept calm under late presser by the Sharks. He and Svedberg will make a fantastic duo this year.

-Koko literally had 5 chances to bury the puck throughout the game, but he's too green at this point to finish the plays. Shooting too high, too wide, overskating the puck, etc. He's got great offensive instincts but will need time to "get there."

-Nice game by Warsofsky and Trotman...not such a good game by Cross.

-It's too bad Tyler Randell isn't a stronger skater. He's such a good fighter that you almost want to keep him around as a 13th forward. But with Robins coming back from injury soon, I think Randell may end up back in the ECHL.

-Not a bad crowd for a preseason game..maybe 5-6K.

Old
09-28-2013, 07:05 PM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeBostones View Post
Alan or anybody!!!!

Anything special from Providence Bruins camp? Have the Bruins had a better farm team since 1970 when they had Reg Leach, Ivan Boldirev, Gregg Sheppard and Rick MacLeish among other's in Oklahoma of the now defunct CHL and in Hershey of AHL had Dan Bouchard in goal, Don Marcotte also I believed played in Hershey. Remember they picked Leach 3th and MacLeish 4th I Think in the 1970 draft. DKH GeeWally you may add a few.
Really can't understand that the both Bruins team weakness in a big way are their web sites.
So, Alan really appreciate your post. Keep them coming.

The Boston web site has moved miles ahead of the pathetic effort in Providence.

The P-Bruins site exists almost solely to advertise games, silly promotions, etc. It's a waste of time to go there.

Old
09-29-2013, 01:51 PM
GarbageGoal
I hear ya, Ed

I only stayed thru the first period, but Malt is spot on about Koko. He's got some tools.

Closed Thread