HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Mrazek slated to start on Wednesday

Old
09-24-2013, 03:12 PM
odin1981

vCash: 500
Mrazek slated to start on Wednesday

Cool to hear that. Hope the kid does well. Bit better than arguing about babs line decisons.

odin1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 03:17 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
What day?

The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 03:19 PM
Detroit Sports
NMC aka LOL -Jimmy H

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
What day?
The day after Toosday

Detroit Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 03:21 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

If Petr has a big first month while Monster is down it could be interesting. I think they would still send him back after that, but hey good news for him he will basically make his entire AHL salary for the year in one month up then get a ton of games. Still this is a door I don't think the organization wanted open this quickly. If he struggles which I don't think he will they get off pretty easy on that decision if not a decent amount of people that don't understand a big part of the development strategy with him are going to be upset.

Old
09-24-2013, 03:28 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Quote:
If he struggles which I don't think he will they get off pretty easy on that decision if not a decent amount of people that don't understand a big part of the development strategy with him are going to be upset.
I'm not so sure about that. At least around these parts, I've only seen a couple of people here arguing that he should be the backup NOW. The rest of us, even the ones who believe he's the future, as I do, believe that if he's not starting consistently he should be in the AHL starting consistently.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 03:46 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
If Petr has a big first month while Monster is down it could be interesting. I think they would still send him back after that, but hey good news for him he will basically make his entire AHL salary for the year in one month up then get a ton of games. Still this is a door I don't think the organization wanted open this quickly. If he struggles which I don't think he will they get off pretty easy on that decision if not a decent amount of people that don't understand a big part of the development strategy with him are going to be upset.
Count me as someone who believes MRazek should be getting a long look as a backup right now.
I won't be upset if he doesn't get it.
But I'll be willing to argue my point vigorously.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 03:56 PM
Henkka

vCash: 528
The question is, do we want him to play or sit on bench if he is on the NHL side? I'd promote him only for those NHL games he exactly plays.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 05:22 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsNow View Post
Count me as someone who believes MRazek should be getting a long look as a backup right now.
I won't be upset if he doesn't get it.
But I'll be willing to argue my point vigorously.
I think he is talented enough to be the backup, but that means Howard starts a max of 55 games, even that I don't like a ton. Just want him to have one more year in the AHL, there should be absolutely no singing under any circumstance barring catastrophic injury to Mrazek this year that has a goalie brought in for next season. But I think the 60+ games at the AHL makes a lot of sense, I am including playoffs in that number, but he should get 50+ starts. I guess we want 60 across all levels, AHL and NHL with playoffs included.

Mrazek has a lot of talent and I believe he can be a backup right now in this league, but long-term I would like to wait a season.

With that said he is the legitimate backup in my mind. Meaning that if Jimmy Howard goes down with an injury, I think Mrazek should be the number 1 and be called up at that point. But him playing another heavy starter workload for one more year is important to his development in my opinion. Then he starts stealing starts over the next couple years as a backup, pretty sure Jimmy's NTC runs out after the fourth season or opens up substantially and they can do battle then. So this is really still three year process before that competition opens up big time barring some sort of injury where it becomes undeniable.

Old
09-24-2013, 05:40 PM
Henkka

vCash: 528
This should be the plan:

Howard 60 NHL-games
Gustavsson 15 NHL-games
Mrazek 7 NHL-games (more games if more injuries etc.)

Mrazek 50 AHL-games
Coreau 25 AHL-games
McCollum 1 AHL-game

McCollum 50 ECHL-games

Paterson 50 OHL-games

More Mrazek plays in NHL, more Coreau plays in AHL. WIN-WIN.

Last edited by Henkka: 09-24-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 05:44 PM
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats

Mrazek has been pretty spectacular at every level he's played at. I don't see any reason why he couldn't be the backup. He had a heck of an NHL debut, played well enough in his 2nd game IIRC. I honestly don't think Gustavsson is that bad though, so whether Mrazek gets a decent NHL workload or not this season I won't lose sleep over it.

Kronwalled55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 06:30 PM
joe89

This year doesn't matter much to me. Play a lot of games in the AHL or play an adequate amount of time in the NHL. Both feels like win. Purely technical, I think he has a thing or two to learn that are probably easier to work on by playing a lot of games. Mentally he's ready.

I feel it's a pretty similar scenario to Ottawa and Lehner, the way they brought him along because Leclaire couldn't ever stay healthy -- but kept him in the minors to play a lot whenever both their keepers where healthy.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 08:31 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
The question is, do we want him to play or sit on bench if he is on the NHL side? I'd promote him only for those NHL games he exactly plays.
That's not the question.
Because that question will be asked no matter when he comes up

25-30 NHL games plus NHL practices every day vs 60 AHL and AHL practices every day.

1) What's better for the team? Tough to say. But if Mrazek is ready, I'll go with Mrazek. I don't think it's a good idea to rely on Gustavsson -- especially if the coach doesn't trust him.
So I think the team is better off with a 55/27 Jimmy/Mrazek share than a 65-17 Jimmy/Gus share

2) I think 25-30 NHL games + NHL practice and experience is better for Mrazek than 60 AHL games and AHL practice every day.

Old
09-24-2013, 08:32 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
That's not the question.
Because that question will be asked no matter when he comes up

25-30 NHL games plus NHL practices every day vs 60 AHL and AHL practices every day.

1) What's better for the team? Tough to say. But if Mrazek is ready, I'll go with Mrazek. I don't think it's a good idea to rely on Gustavsson -- especially if the coach doesn't trust him.
So I think the team is better off with a 55/27 Jimmy/Mrazek share than a 65-17 Jimmy/Gus share

2) I think 25-30 NHL games + NHL practice and experience is better for Mrazek than 60 AHL games and AHL practice every day.
I've changed my mind, I agree with this and hope Gustavsson's injury forces their hands. We need a capable backup, use Mrazek like Carolina used Ward in 2006 - could mean 5-6 more wins.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 08:35 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

If Gustavsson could stay healthy -- I don't know.
But he wasn't healthy last year. He was erratic when he was. He looked pretty bad in the game I saw this preseason.
I thought the Gustavsson signing was a good one. But it might be time to go another way

Old
09-24-2013, 08:37 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Quote:
If Gustavsson could stay healthy -- I don't know.
But he wasn't healthy last year. He was erratic when he was. He looked pretty bad in the game I saw this preseason.
I thought the Gustavsson signing was a good one. But it might be time to go another way
He's been injury prone since he joined the league and with the heart thing. I just don't think a backup who misses 1-2 weeks every once in a while can stay in rhythm to the point that Babcock will feel confident playing him.

Old
09-24-2013, 08:58 PM
Bench
Realgud!

The hallmark of a competent backup is he's ready at a moments notice to take the reigns and you can count on him to provide steady relief.

Does any of that describe Monster's time with the Wings so far?

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 08:59 PM
Harnessed in Slums

This is the only upside to having old, injury-prone players slated to play major roles on the team. Young guys get a chance to show what they've got. What on earth has Petr done to show he isn't worthy of being rewarded? He's come a long way from starting last season in Toledo.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 09:39 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
I've changed my mind, I agree with this and hope Gustavsson's injury forces their hands. We need a capable backup, use Mrazek like Carolina used Ward in 2006 - could mean 5-6 more wins.
What are the chances Mrazek sees 30 games, though? Or even 25? Babcock may still just ride the "hot hand" and ride Howard for 60+ games, and we know that Gustavsson will likely be in and out of the lineup and see at least a handful of games himself.

If they fully intend on getting Mrazek into 25-30 games, I would get behind it. But if it's more like 15-20 games, I would be less enthusiastic. At the same time, I'm not sure we have a choice since who are we bringing up if not Mrazek?

09-24-2013, 09:43 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
What are the chances Mrazek sees 30 games, though? Or even 25? Babcock may still just ride the "hot hand" and ride Howard for 60+ games, and we know that Gustavsson will likely be in and out of the lineup and see at least a handful of games himself.

If they fully intend on getting Mrazek into 25-30 games, I would get behind it. But if it's more like 15-20 games, I would be less enthusiastic. At the same time, I'm not sure we have a choice since who are we bringing up if not Mrazek?
Do you see Mrazek playing 30 games in the next few years assuming Howard is healthy? I don't. I think 25 games is his max.

Old
09-24-2013, 09:57 PM
HTT3*

This kid is a stud.

HTT3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 10:05 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Do you see Mrazek playing 30 games in the next few years assuming Howard is healthy? I don't. I think 25 games is his max.
No, I don't. I'm just more okay with it if Mrazek is a bit further along in his development.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 10:21 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Does anyone think that Mrazek's play will make Detroit look into their goaltending situation?

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 11:40 PM
odin1981

I believe he could make them strongly reconsider goaltending priorities for the organization in 2-3 years. If he plays say 5 straight games up while gustaffson is injured and impresses I would not be suprised at all to see him fast tracked to the nhl next year.

I believe this year it is too important to his development to make sure he plays 50+ games then the ahl playoffs. But next year depending on this year + next years camp he could make a very strong push for 40-40 time between him and howard.

Edit: was in a hurry before I left the house when I put this up so the title is kinda bad spelling wise .

Last edited by odin1981: 09-24-2013 at 11:42 PM. Reason: blonde moment with topic title
odin1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 11:54 PM
sully61
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by odin1981 View Post
I believe he could make them strongly reconsider goaltending priorities for the organization in 2-3 years. If he plays say 5 straight games up while gustaffson is injured and impresses I would not be suprised at all to see him fast tracked to the nhl next year.

I believe this year it is too important to his development to make sure he plays 50+ games then the ahl playoffs. But next year depending on this year + next years camp he could make a very strong push for 40-40 time between him and howard.

Edit: was in a hurry before I left the house when I put this up so the title is kinda bad spelling wise .
He'd have to play great for the games he may get this year in the NHL and phenomenal in the AHL for him to even back up Howie next year. Even then he only gets about,25-30

sully61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 06:04 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Is he really 2" taller than Howard? He looks about the same size really.

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote