HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

30th Anniversary of "The Game" by Ken Dryden

Old
09-23-2013, 03:05 AM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

vCash: 500
30th Anniversary of "The Game" by Ken Dryden

30 years ago Ken Dryden published his seminal work "The Game". A back stage glimpse into the "Le Dynastie" Habs in particular and the NHL in general, it's insights resonate to the present day.

How many here have read this fine work? What are your thoughts on it?

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 03:21 AM
Habssince89
Feel the Radulove

vCash: 351
Just simply a wonderful book. Even if you hate Montreal, its fascinating both for its content but also for the fact thats coming from such an intellect in Dryden. He has such a unique POV among a world where educated guys like him were (and still are) a rarity

Habssince89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 12:22 PM
Killion

I read it when it came out, I guess once thereafter sometime over the past 20yrs. "Seminal" it be. He certainly articulates the game exceptionally well from a goaltenders perspective while simultaneously offering up a critique on the game in general which is still relevant today on several levels. Very honest & direct.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 12:27 PM
BuckyDornster
Speed kills, Del.

vCash: 606
Great book and free of some of the "fluff" that Home Game had because it was meant for a TV audience. Covered everything from downtime to gameday jitters to some of the shenanigans behind the scenes, honest look that didn't degrade itself with too much seedy insider stuff either. Will have to take it off the bookshelf this week and give it a third go-through.

BuckyDornster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 01:36 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 450
I just read it a couple weeks ago, and it's indeed a spectacular book.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 02:42 PM
Big Phil

Someone can shoot me if they want, but despite being a long time hockey fan with deep roots I have never read anything other than skimming through a few pages of Dryden's book. Yeah, I know. I guess you can chalk it up to one of things that I've always meant to do, like visit Paris or something, and you never do it.

But I will.................soon.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 02:54 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Someone can shoot me if they want, but despite being a long time hockey fan with deep roots I have never read anything other than skimming through a few pages of Dryden's book. Yeah, I know. I guess you can chalk it up to one of things that I've always meant to do, like visit Paris or something, and you never do it.

But I will.................soon.
Naw, no shooting. Just make sure you read it soon

Old
09-23-2013, 02:57 PM
Bear of Bad News
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 663
Phil, reading it will be its own reward.

I put it right up there with George Plimpton's "Open Net" and Ken Baker's "They Don't Play Hockey in Heaven".

Bear of Bad News is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 04:45 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Phil, reading it will be its own reward.

I put it right up there with George Plimpton's "Open Net" and Ken Baker's "They Don't Play Hockey in Heaven".
Oh I know, I need to. It isn't because I am a resentful Leaf fan either, because I actually loved Dryden at that time. I read tons upon tons of hockey books too which is ironic. I guess you can chalk this up to going to every major theme park in North America and still not doing Disneyland. It is on my bucket list.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 05:09 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks

I think its interesting Dryden chose to write about the last year of the dynasty, the year that team began to show some cracks in the armour. Perhaps this perspective allowed us readers to relate a little better to an outstanding group of athletes. It was also Dryden's last year and he spends a lot of time reflecting on his own declining skills and struggle to focus. Had he wrote about the 76-77 season, there might not have been enough of the 'human struggle' for most people to relate to. I think this is what makes the book so valuable; his reflection, personal questioning as well as his thumbnail psychological profiles of the players/coaches on the team.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 07:20 PM
Kyle McMahon

Wasn't a big fan of the book. Dryden thinks he's pretty much the smartest man who ever lived, and this was his way of informing the world of such.

Kyle McMahon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 07:30 PM
MXD

If ever you're French... Read the English version.

Arguably overrated in the grand scheme of things (my main problem being already underlined by Kyle), but certainly a very insightful book nonetheless.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 08:24 PM
Killion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Wasn't a big fan of the book. Dryden thinks he's pretty much the smartest man who ever lived, and this was his way of informing the world of such.
Didnt ever really get that impression from him Kyle, not through the book nor having read various articles he's written over the years. More that he tends to be overly laborious, too much information for a lot of people. Its been said of people like that ask them the time, they build you a watch all the while explaining what each spring & sprocket does, how its important to the whole & just on & on & on & on. Can be beyond annoying, frustrating at times, comes across as arrogance but really not from whence it stems. Just the way he's built. Nothing pretentious at all really. No sense of intellectual superiority. Such thoughts wouldnt even cross his mind.

Old
09-24-2013, 11:16 AM
Peter9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Didnt ever really get that impression from him Kyle, not through the book nor having read various articles he's written over the years. More that he tends to be overly laborious, too much information for a lot of people. Its been said of people like that ask them the time, they build you a watch all the while explaining what each spring & sprocket does, how its important to the whole & just on & on & on & on. Can be beyond annoying, frustrating at times, comes across as arrogance but really not from whence it stems. Just the way he's built. Nothing pretentious at all really. No sense of intellectual superiority. Such thoughts wouldnt even cross his mind.
Yes, I think you're right on this. I don't think Dryden is driven much by ego or arrogance, although he does have moments in the book in which he expresses contempt for the kids in the Toronto subway car who refer to "Lafloor" and for the Maple Leafs for having killed the rivalry with the Canadiens. I think this came from a career spent playing for the best organization in hockey and on a team that was truly bilingual. He wanted respect for francophones and for what he thought was the superior way the Canadiens did things.

Dryden's descriptions of his teammates are fascinating. He wrote that Lafleur's game depended so much on speed that it would not wear well with age. Lafleur promptly injured himself and both that and age did indeed take much of his game away from him. Then there's his portrait of Rejean Houle as a cheapskate and a bit of a simpleton at times. It almost seems like prophecy when one considers Houle's time as general manager of the Canadiens.

Read it, Big Phil. It's great entertainment from a very intelligent guy.

Edit: I haven't read the book since it came out, but I just remembered another part I loved in it, Dryden's description of the skating duel between Ralph Backstrom, recently let go to the Kings, and his former teammate, Henri Richard, two superb skaters at one time considered the fastest and most graceful in the NHL. Dryden writes that Backstrom chased Richard all over the Forum ice, back and forth, weaving in and out by all the other players on both teams who just stood there watching this breathtaking display of skating.

Edit: That's the Montreal Forum ice, not the Inglewood Forum ice of the Kings.

Last edited by Peter9: 09-25-2013 at 12:59 AM.
Peter9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 12:01 PM
VMBM
Amate misericordiam

Not a great fan of 'Dryden the color commentator'*, but this discussion has certainly raised my interest in the book, so maybe I should try 'Dryden the writer'!

* In the 1976 CC, for example, I preferred Tom Watt... big time

VMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 12:03 PM
Killion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter9 View Post
Yes, I think you're right on this. I don't think Dryden is driven much by ego or arrogance, although he does have moments in the book in which he expresses contempt for the kids in the Toronto subway car who refer to "Lafloor" and for the Maple Leafs for having killed the rivalry with the Canadiens. I think this came from a career spent playing for the best organization in hockey...
... and from growing up in Toronto (Etobicoke), being around at the tail end of the Smythe era & growing up with the Leafs when they were still Classy, Winning. Before Stafford & Harold Ballard in particular dismantled Maple Leaf Gardens itself, the organization (selling the farm, trading away the future) & any hold-over personnel be it players (Dave Keon for eg) or management (Head Scout Bob Davidson amongst others). I read that part more as though he were speaking as a disenchanted & disenfranchised fan (as well as player, opponent) and of course he's far from alone in feeling that way. Condemning the organization for what it had become under Ballard. That being said, he was lucky he wound up where he did when he did, right guy right moment. He realizes that, admits as much. I read more humility, thats he's thankful as opposed to any arrogance.... almost little to no wonder why after serving as President of Maple Leaf Gardens while the sexual abuse scandal broke (combined with an internal power struggle with Pat Quinn, though I think the former likely the straw that broke the camels back) he left the game altogether.

Old
09-24-2013, 12:38 PM
VanIslander
Don't waste my time

Way back when, I read The Game in the public library months after it was published and was disappointed, expecting better from my childhood idol.

These days, I am appreciating Home Game more, having recently read the chapter on 'No final victories' on the Soviets.

I met Dryden in Ottawa when he managed the Leafs in a playoff series, and he was larger than life, had a handshake like a bear, and confirmed that my youthful memories wasn't of a phantom.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 08:22 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
That's something lawyers are trained to do. You build your case. You make sure each and every piece is explained thoroughly, and then you very explicitly spell out the larger whole. Most of the time, we take logical shortcuts. If A, then F is true 90% of the time, so if A, then probably F. When you're laying out a case in front of a judge or jury, you make sure they're absolutely clear on steps B, C, D, and E as well. It may be obvious to them and to you, but you don't want to take any chances. Especially if your case is part of the 10% where A does not lead to F.

And I didn't get 'pretentious' from the book either. He does talk about being more intelligent than his teammates, and how that dynamic played out, but he wasn't beating his own chest. He was being honest about the situation, and breaks down the dynamic pretty well, including talking about how he really became a lot less arrogant and pretentious over his career. That's self awareness, not pretension.

Last edited by cptjeff: 09-24-2013 at 08:28 PM.
cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 12:03 AM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
30 years ago Ken Dryden published his seminal work "The Game". A back stage glimpse into the "Le Dynastie" Habs in particular and the NHL in general, it's insights resonate to the present day.

How many here have read this fine work? What are your thoughts on it?
I've got it, even tried to read it a few times, never made it past the first chapter or two. I should probably try to push through it, I've just never liked the guy.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 12:25 AM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Bak_Damphousse View Post
I've got it, even tried to read it a few times, never made it past the first chapter or two. I should probably try to push through it, I've just never liked the guy.
Interesting. I've never found him unlikable myself.

Old
09-25-2013, 12:29 AM
Killion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
Interesting. I've never found him unlikable myself.
He can be polarizing. Variety of reasons.

Old
09-25-2013, 11:46 AM
Sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Oh I know, I need to. It isn't I guess you can chalk this up to going to every major theme park in North America and still not doing Disneyland. It is on my bucket list.
Go to Paris first

Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 03:57 PM
the edler
Cory Schneider fan

Paris, Ontario?

the edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 04:02 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Paris, Texas

Old
09-25-2013, 04:09 PM
Killion

Quote:
Originally Posted by the edler View Post
Paris, Ontario?
Ya. Forget the Seine & the Eiffel Tower, you want the River Grand & the Old Town Hall, now an auction house I believe. Birthplace & or one time home of Syl Apps, John Muckler & Jay Wells. Wayne Gretzkys' father Walter attended High School in Paris from the family farm nearby in Canning.... my family had a Hobby Farm out that way. Played many a game of shinny on a slough that fed into Watts Pond. Bullrushes & all sticking up out of the ice, Muskrat, Mallard Duck & Canadian Goose crap everywhere. You learned how to keep on your feet at an early age I can tell you. Serious pond hockey.