Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Finnish Top Prospects part II

Old
03-18-2014, 04:30 PM
YARR123

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTT View Post
Puljujärvi with another goal tonight(wrist shot from the right point on powerplay). He has 5 goals in 8 games with A-juniors playoffs now.

Looks like he will be ready for Liiga next year as there is no major weaknesses in his game. He has grown to 190cm btw.
And skating looks good still?

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 08:47 AM
Keke

I was yesterday in the semifinal game Jokerit-Kalpa and here are some of my thoughts about the game.

Kalpa was a one line team and that Tammela-Pitkänen created almost every goalscoring chances that they got. Tammela and Pitkänen were the best two players in the game and expecially Tammela was very dominant in the first period. His skating was very good skating and he has nice hands.

From Jokerit the most noticeable players were Miro Keskitalo and Olli Juolevi. It was like they were made in the same mold starting with how they tape their stick. It will be very interesting to follow Juolevi's career and let's hope we have another Määttä in our hands. They were both strong defensively and Juolevi even showed more in the offensive zone than Keskitalo.

Joel Kiviranta was a disappoinment in my eyes, considering he has played in jr. A since he was 15. He couldn't contribute offensively at all and in PP he was invisible too and let others do the work. I've had him in top 6 in U18 WJC team but I don't want him in offensive role. It could be that I was watching one of his bad games but didn't like what I saw.

Miro Karjalainen was also someone who impressed me. Big stay-at-home defenseman who made hard hits, played great defensively and had crisp first passes.

If Jokerit continues to play in Pirkkola I will be able to see more of their games.

Keke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 03:38 AM
korxi

I have seen Vaakanainen three times this year. Reports in jatkoaika say he's injured and propably done for the season. At least he did not play in the last playoff match.

His game style is more of an offensive or all-around defenseman than defensive guy. He plays as 2 year old younger than most players while getting good amount of ice time, both PP and PK.

+can rush up ice with a puck
+sees ice well
+good passes
+size
shot cant comment on, only saw a few shots from him

Only concern i have, is he's a bit passive in the own end. I'm not sure whether that's because he reads the play well and just isn't a physical type of a player or is it something you should be concerned about in the future.

korxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 03:55 AM
JJTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by korxi View Post
I have seen Vaakanainen three times this year. Reports in jatkoaika say he's injured and propably done for the season. At least he did not play in the last playoff match.

His game style is more of an offensive or all-around defenseman than defensive guy. He plays as 2 year old younger than most players while getting good amount of ice time, both PP and PK.

+can rush up ice with a puck
+sees ice well
+good passes
+size
shot cant comment on, only saw a few shots from him

Only concern i have, is he's a bit passive in the own end.
I'm not sure whether that's because he reads the play well and just isn't a physical type of a player or is it something you should be concerned about in the future.
I have noticed this too, he just waits until the forward comes close to him and takes the puck away. It's pretty impressive but not sure how it will work vs opponents who can actually shoot the puck.

And yes his season is over because of broken shoulder.

Last edited by JJTT: 03-20-2014 at 04:03 AM.
JJTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 12:14 PM
wings5

After a lacklustre start to his USHL career I stopped following Waltteri Hopponen only to find out he has 17 g 14 a for 31 pts in 51 gp, pretty good stats for a rookie and especially a 17 year old euro playing his first NA season. Does he still hold a high potential amongst top prospects such as Rantanen?

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 02:49 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Does he still hold a high potential amongst top prospects such as Rantanen?
Rantanen might be a 1st rounder next year, he's a much better prospect than Hopponen.

Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 01:56 PM
JJTT

Really impressed with Joni Tuulola. Good hands, passing, decent frame with 188cm. Also liked how he was able to pinch in from the point and keep the puck in the zone.

Skating and defence needs some work, also needs to add a lot of strenght. Nice tools going forward nevertheless. I think he could sneak into second round if he plays good u18's

Old
03-28-2014, 11:01 AM
JJTT

MTV3 will show a documentary about this years Pohjola Camp at 9.55 tomorrow morning.

http://www.telkku.com/program/show/2014032907553

Looks like it will be mainly about Urho Vaakanainen.

e. http://www.mtvkatsomo.fi/?progId=320929 Katsomo finally has it.

Last edited by JJTT: 04-07-2014 at 09:05 AM.
Old
04-10-2014, 10:25 PM
Tormentor

From the looks of it U16 4-nations tournament from Sweden will be streamed @ LiveArena.

Stats and schedule can be found from here

Old
04-11-2014, 03:18 AM
kelsier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
From the looks of it U16 4-nations tournament from Sweden will be streamed @ LiveArena.

Anyone(s) there to keep an eye on in particular?

kelsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 05:11 AM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsier View Post
Anyone(s) there to keep an eye on in particular?
Leevi Laakso has thus far been the top goalie in this age group. Reunanen, Niemeläinen and Felixson should be the top D's now that Juolevi and Välimäki are with the U17 team. From forwards I'd keep an eye on Mäkinen and Kuokkanen, but it doesn't hurt to follow guys like Koivula, Nurmi, Tuulola, Somppi and Räsänen either. Emil Oksanen has a good skill level, but he's a bit soft compared to most other forwards on this roster.

Old
04-11-2014, 05:37 AM
ChadS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post

Looks like the team is pretty big for U16 kids, avg 181,7cm/75,2kg. And they are missing at least Juolevi who is a big guy. Nice to see that from a Team Finland roster once in a while

ChadS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 01:56 PM
Bloodhound
Regular User

Palmu - Nättinen - Puljujärvi... Super line!

Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 06:08 AM
Bloodhound
Regular User

This Petrus Palmu is an interesting player. I`m assuming size was the only reason he did`t break into jrA? Do you guys see him as a real exceptional talent? I mean if he don`t grow more than 10cm does he still have real NHL potential or Juuso Ikonen vol.2?

Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 10:46 AM
ChadS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodhound View Post
This Petrus Palmu is an interesting player. I`m assuming size was the only reason he did`t break into jrA? Do you guys see him as a real exceptional talent? I mean if he don`t grow more than 10cm does he still have real NHL potential or Juuso Ikonen vol.2?
He reminds me a lot of Mikael Granlund. Too bad he's so small, his talent level is really impressive.

I doubt he'll be drafted if he's still ~170cm. He's at 166 now.

ChadS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2014, 09:58 AM
Tormentor

There seems to be one forward in the 2001-born age group that's pretty preeminent in comparison to his peers. He's been the top scorer by a wide margin in at least two major tournaments this season.
  • Ilves Osuuspankki-turnaus U13 (-01), 27 - 29 December 2013: 6gp 19g+14a=33p
  • Finland Lions Spring Cup U13 (-01), 18 - 20 April 2014: 7gp 18g+14a=32p

This forward plays for Jukurit and his name is Leevi Aaltonen. Would be nice to hear some thoughts about his game if someone manages to see him, what's the secret behind his early success?

Old
04-20-2014, 04:06 PM
Keke

I hate when People call "it's too early for scouting kids". I Think it's great to see What kind of names we are Talking about and see What They can become.

Gotta remember This kid and see What he does in Pohjola-leiri or Huippupohjola or whatever they call it. ( yes 2000 had one NT event This year if someone thinks that I mistook them for 1999 agegroup.

Keke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 06:51 AM
plaaplaa72

Send a message via MSN to plaaplaa72
Well i know couple 05 born Players. Though that's maybe a little too young to be talking about, maybe more than a little

plaaplaa72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 05:50 PM
JJTT

Who are the top players of -00 & 01 age group?

Here are the rosters for Finland selects teams from last year. (I know Select teams don't pick up best players)

Anyone seen any of these guys? Only name i recognize is Antti Saarela who is little brother of Aleksi.

Last edited by JJTT: 04-25-2014 at 06:11 PM.
Old
04-26-2014, 12:28 PM
Eyelanders

Quote:
Who are the top players of -00 & 01 age group?

Here are the rosters for Finland selects teams from last year. (I know Select teams don't pick up best players)

Anyone seen any of these guys? Only name i recognize is Antti Saarela who is little brother of Aleksi.
From this year's team 2000 born selects team, Jasper Rannisto is a decent two-way defenseman with good size at 5'10". Also, I have heard that Tuomas Kerkkonen is a promising goalie and he's already really big at 6'3". Unfortunately I haven't seen Kerkkonen yet. Both of these players played for HIFK 00 team this past season.

Eyelanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 07:32 AM
JJTT

Roster for first camp of next years U18 team (97's).

G:

Christian Heljanko, HIFK
Arttu Kulmala, Ässät
Veini Vehviläinen, JYP
Nico Viksten, Ilves

D:

Eetu Andersson, TPS
Oliver Felixson
, HIFK -98
Toni Hannukkala, Pelicans
Olli Juolevi, Jokerit
Ville Järvinen, Ilves
Otto Leskinen, KalPa
Jesper Mattila, Ilves
Jarkko Parikka, USHL
Vili Saarijärvi, Kärpät
Atte Töyry, JYP
Veeti Vainio, Blues
Juuso Välimäki, Ilves

F:
Sebastian Aho, Kärpät
Kasper Björkqvist, Blues
Erik Embrich, HIFK
Jaakko Heikkinen, Jokerit
Otto Mäkinen
, Tappara -98
Niko Lönnroos, Jokerit
Julius Mattila, Ilves
Joonas Niemelä, Blues
Julius Nättinen, JYP
Petrus Palmu, Jokerit
Topi Piipponen, KalPa
Jesse Puljujärvi, Kärpät
Arttu Ruotsalainen, Kärpät
Aleksi Saarela, Lukko
Jonne Tammela, KalPa
Sami Tavernier, HIFK
Teemu Väyrynen, Blues
Janne Kuokkanen, Kärpät

http://www.leijonat.fi/uutiset/tuore...a-joukkue.html

Old
05-09-2014, 08:31 AM
Tormentor

Quote:
Roster for first camp of next years U18 team (97's).

Oliver Felixson, HIFK -98
Not that Felixson doesn't deserve to be on that roster, but I find it a bit strange that he made the team before another big '98 defenseman Markus Niemeläinen. Felixson might have a better shot and be slightly better on PP, but as far as overall game goes Niemeläinen is ahead of him right now.

It's starting to be a tad difficult to trust Urama's judgement after some questionable player selections and the poorly executed U18's. Hope he proves everyone wrong with this younger age group.

Old
05-11-2014, 02:16 PM
LoveHateLeafs

Leevi Aaltonen played in the Word Selects Invitational for 2001-born boys, which ended yesterday with his team team winning the championship. He didn't seem to score much relative to his peers in the round robin, but really took off in the playoffs, with 8 goals in 4 games, including a hat trick in the final, finishing with the second most goals in total. I didn't get to watch any of the games, so I can't comment on his play. Unlike most of his teammates, his height isn't listed on the tournament website, but he appears to be ~166 or 167cm tall right now, which may give him an advantage over some of his peers. A player on the other Finnish team, Niklas Rinkinen (Blues, 170cm) scored fairly well in the round robin.

LoveHateLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2014, 03:24 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveHateLeafs View Post
Leevi Aaltonen played in the Word Selects Invitational for 2001-born boys, which ended yesterday with his team team winning the championship. He didn't seem to score much relative to his peers in the round robin, but really took off in the playoffs, with 8 goals in 4 games, including a hat trick in the final, finishing with the second most goals in total. I didn't get to watch any of the games, so I can't comment on his play. Unlike most of his teammates, his height isn't listed on the tournament website, but he appears to be ~166 or 167cm tall right now, which may give him an advantage over some of his peers. A player on the other Finnish team, Niklas Rinkinen (Blues, 170cm) scored fairly well in the round robin.
I watched some of the action, from what I saw Aaltonen played wing. Compared to his teammates he wasn't exceptionally tall, I'd say average height. Smart player with good vision. Moves well, has nice hands and a good shot. At times he was capable of controlling the pace of the game. Promising player, has all the tools to be a strong offensive contributor, makes plays but also knows how to finish them.

A player that had a clear size/physical advantage compared to his peers was Iivari Räsänen. Big, strong defenseman with a heavy shot.

Old
05-21-2014, 12:04 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Mäkinen brothers, Teemu Turunen and Petrus Palmu could be switching team as they are not listed in Jokerit A-juniors training ring.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote