Notices

Game thread: 9/28/03 - Bruins @ Rangers, 5pm

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2003, 09:03 AM
HockeyGoddess

vCash: 500
Game thread: 9/28/03 - Bruins @ Rangers, 5pm

Predictions and game-time conversations go here.

Go B's!

Go Bruins, go Bruins, GO!!
Old
09-28-2003, 11:12 AM
Goalie27*

Send a message via AIM to Goalie27*
Anyone know the lineup?

Old
09-28-2003, 01:31 PM
Gator Mike

Lines for the Bruins:

Huml - Zinovjev - Grosek
Gellard - Bergeron - Samuelsson
Axelsson - Rolston - Zamuner
Donato - Stock - McCarthy

O'Donnell - Jurcina
Kutlak - Jillson
Moran - Gill

Raycroft
Potvin

Raycroft gets the start in goal. 12:00 in, and he's made three saves on three shots.

Old
09-28-2003, 01:43 PM
TheBigBadB

I know we are all talking alot of the new kids Patrice, Zino, and Hannu...but what about Huml??? I know I havent seen any preseason games, but by the radio it seems he has been solid...he seems to always be around the puck or drawing penalties(taking them too), pretty much getting his nose dirty...What's everyones thoughts??? Should he play on the top two lines?...or has he been gritty enough to at least play third line?...I liked what I have seen from the kid in the past...and seems like he is a hard worker...Here's one that hopes to see him on the opening day line up...

Old
09-28-2003, 01:49 PM
Wpg Jets

Send a message via Yahoo to Wpg Jets
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigBadB
I know we are all talking alot of the new kids Patrice, Zino, and Hannu...but what about Huml??? I know I havent seen any preseason games, but by the radio it seems he has been solid...he seems to always be around the puck or drawing penalties(taking them too), pretty much getting his nose dirty...What's everyones thoughts??? Should he play on the top two lines?...or has he been gritty enough to at least play third line?...I liked what I have seen from the kid in the past...and seems like he is a hard worker...Here's one that hopes to see him on the opening day line up...
Can you listen to this game online?

Old
09-28-2003, 01:50 PM
TheBigBadB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg Jets
Can you listen to this game online?
I am listen to the radio...not the internet..dont know if there is one out there though...thier might be...check the rangers board??

Old
09-28-2003, 01:52 PM
neelynugs

huml has looked pretty good so far. zinovjev certainly is quick- one thing i noticed is that he's constantly banging his stick on the ice. i guess that's what he'll do since he can't speak english. i've been pretty bored by the 1st period - axe looks great as usual, but there's not much else to get excited about. i mean, no thornton/murray/sammy, nor mcgillis, boynton, knuble...and of course, toivonen (i really want to see this kid play).
by the looks of it, axe/rolston/zams is gonna be a line when the season opens. does that mean sammy plays on line 1, or do they put him with a relatively green guy like zinovjev or bergeron? we may be the only team's fans who have absolutely no idea who will be playing in what spot on october 8th, other than thornton as the #1 center, and samsonov/murray as our top wings (but on what line?).

Old
09-28-2003, 02:17 PM
sammy87

Rangers up 1-0. Messier scores. Rags had a 5-3 pp.

http://nhl.com/onthefly/scoreboard/index.html

Old
09-28-2003, 02:24 PM
sammy87

2-0 Rags. TUTIN scores

about 6 minutes left in the 2nd

Old
09-28-2003, 02:42 PM
bwunderlich

hey msgmetro is good for something - i get to see this game. yeah huml is the best bruin on the ice through 2 periods. hard to judge anthing with so many starters out. the ice is certainly slanted towards the bruins goal.

i need to start preparing myself for every opponent to send two forcheckers into the zone at every opportunity given our difficulties carrying the puck out of the zone. i agree with neely we have maybe rolston's line set and nothing else. at this point into the pre-season, isn't it time to start developing some consistent line parings? some chemistry?

oh, and messier at the point on the PP . look for rolston to get a few breakaways when we play the rags.

Old
09-28-2003, 02:46 PM
shmekel

Messier was on the point because both Poti and Kovalev are out of the game.

Old
09-28-2003, 02:50 PM
sammy87

3-0, Scott scores

Old
09-28-2003, 02:50 PM
Bostonfreak

3-0... man what si boston to do

Old
09-28-2003, 02:57 PM
Bostonfreak

12 min left to game

Old
09-28-2003, 03:04 PM
Bostonfreak

i no its only per season, but things are not looking good for th burins... anyone have a good reaso why.. and how to stop it?

Old
09-28-2003, 03:11 PM
Bostonfreak

4-0

Old
09-28-2003, 03:12 PM
sammy87

4-0. Barnaby

Old
09-28-2003, 03:18 PM
Bostonfreak

ok boys!! time for the come back..lmao!!!

Old
09-28-2003, 03:23 PM
sammy87

4-1 Samuelsson from Jillson and Bergeron. the comeback is on!!!

never mind only 1 min left.

Old
09-28-2003, 03:23 PM
Bostonfreak

hahah they hurd me.. 4-1!!!!!lmao

Old
09-28-2003, 03:25 PM
Bostonfreak

looks liek it was a ruogh game!

Old
09-28-2003, 03:26 PM
sammy87

4-1 Rangers

Stats from game

Scoresheet
Faceoffs
Statistics

Old
09-28-2003, 03:39 PM
BronxBruin

Game recap

The game was pretty boring. There wasn't very much offense but I guess that's understandable considering Thornton, Samsonov, Murray, and Knuble were all not playing. When Axelsson-Rolston-Zamuner is your #1 line, you aren't going to be lighting up the scoreboard all that much. The game was very sloppy. Passes weren't connecting, there were way too many icings, and the Bruins didn't sustain any real pressure on the Rangers. Here's what I thought of some of the players:

Raycroft - He didn't make any tough saves. The first goal he should have stopped. Yes, it was a 5-on-3 PP but he had a clean look at Messier and he had time to come out of the crease but still got beat through the five hole from Old Man Mark. Raycroft looked a little sloppy on the second goal. He was scrambling a bit to get a hold on the puck and wound up letting in a little cheap tip in. All he had to do was hold fort up against the post and lt the puck come to him. The third and fourth goals were just good plays by New York. He's going to have to play better if he ever wants to be a #1 goalie in this league.
Jillson - Didn't really do much (good or bad) to stand out. He made a pretty outlet pass to spring Samuelsson on the goal.
Jurcina - He's huge out there. He made a nice play to stop Nedved's breakaway and then toss him to the ice. He needs to work on his puck skills. He seemed to have a hard time clearing the puck out of the zone.
Samuelsson - Was invisible for most of the game up until the goal. He used his speed to breakaway from the defenseman and showed some touch by tipping the puck in past the goalie.
Bergeron - Didn't do much offensively but showed he could play the defensive side of the game. He was out there on the penalty kill a couple times.
Zinojiev - He didn't do much either. He did show some glimpses of skill but he'll need some seasoning before he is ready for the big time.
Huml - He was probably Boston's best forward. He had the most scoring chances (though none of them were really all that great) and he even took the body a little bit.

Old
09-28-2003, 03:45 PM
MeisterBruinmaker

Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87

Hmmm, The B's had a 35% face-off %. Rolston's pct was pretty bad, which is very concerning considering that with only one other legit center on the roster, his face-off % could be even more critical. But then again, that was never his strength.

Looks like the B's weakness at center and lack of quickness and puck skill on defense are becoming two key fundamental problems which could seriously debilitate the Bruins come the season. I hope it's not true but I am a realist and the picture seems like it's getting clearer. This of course doesn't mention the shaky goaltending or potential one line offense.

It's still early, but there are several questions on the table which may end up being serious problems. The Bruins may have to bring back Berard and acquire a legit center, which could be costly. But with Berard and Boynton in hand, it will be more difficult for Jillson to crack the the line up. Moran could move up to forward, but there's already a logjam there. And it wouldn't be a great idea to have a good guy and vocal leader like him languishing in the #7 role or on the bench.

I'd play Moran in place of Donato and Grosek because he's responsible and a good presence on the ice...but beyond that I don't know - he doesn't add much offense and he's not a legit tough guy.

Old
09-28-2003, 03:52 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBruinmaker
Hmmm, The B's had a 35% face-off %. Rolston's pct was pretty bad, which is very concerning considering that with only one other legit center on the roster, his face-off % could be even more critical. But then again, that was never his strength.

Looks like the B's weakness at center and lack of quickness and puck skill on defense are becoming two key fundamental problems which could seriously debilitate the Bruins come the season. I hope it's not true but I am a realist and the picture seems like it's getting clearer. This of course doesn't mention the shaky goaltending or potential one line offense.
Unfortunately- there aren't a lot of options out there. As was the case with the goaltending last year, it looks like the G.M. rolled the dice on two unproven players in Andy Hilbert and Sergei Zinovjev. Who knew that Hilbert would be slow to come back from hernia surgery and that Zinovjev and his agents would completely bungle the visa situation? But, it has set both back considerably, and will force the team to bring somebody else in. This late in the game, it won't be a move that really helps get Boston any closer to contention, which is what people want.

I'll be posting on the new HF forum, but I figured I'd jump in here since it is the primary topic of my next column.

Closed Thread