HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers defeat Jets 2-1

Old
09-23-2013, 11:20 PM
McAsuno*
5-14-6-1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
As far as our centre issues go, I'd try to get Boyle out of New York. The Rangers are up against the cap and need to sign Stepan.
I'll do that for sure. He'll be solid in the lineup.

McAsuno* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 11:21 PM
McCupofOil
McJesus Has Risen!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
Philip Larsen looked a lot better in this game. IMO he's paired with NSchultz on the opening day roster. Belov is a stud, but I think he may start off the year in OKC just because they can still get him down there.
Seriously, that's just stupid if that's what they do.
That will go against everything that Eakins said about contracts not coming into play when making the final cuts. Based on him playing Belov in every situation more than every other defenseman I believe, it seems that he likes what he sees.

McCupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Perfect Human*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
arent we trying to win? like right now?

why does everyone write off the possibility grebs gets cut?
This. And why is it such a travesty if he gets picked up on waivers? I'd rather have Larsen/Fedun filling in for injuries than Grebs.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Connor McOilers
We have the precious

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallsyoilerforever View Post
I think it has been 61/64 in preseason for a 0.953 save% for Dubnyk so far? Either way, he's been quite solid.
Maybe that's what it takes for haters to admit that his save % is in fact very much relevant? Obviously too small of a sample size to really matter but it's getting harder to not show him some respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
Yakupov Hall Hemsky
Joensuu Eberle Perron
Smyth Gordon Pitlick
Hamilton Acton Jones

Smid Petry
Ference Belov
N. Schultz J.Schultz
Larsen

Dubnyk
LaBarbara

It kills me that Larsen isn't a 6D option right now. He looks like a stud.

Shultz^2 is a pairing I don't want to see again after last year. I want him with Ference, way better player and should be a better mentor as well. Let Belov start in the 3rd pairing until he proves himself in regular season games against real NHL teams (not that I'm not pretty impressed with him so far though).

Connor McOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Oiltankjob Fail

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lay Z Boy GM View Post
We need to try Joensuu in the top six. I'd rather have him on the 1st line than Smyth. The guy is a workhorse and has surprisingly silky hands.

I really like how much Belov gets the puck on the net. He is not afraid to shoot and does a pretty good job of getting the puck through traffic and on net.
Although I agree Smyth should be no where near the top six but at same time the top six does not need Joensuu there, and will help the 3rd line more. Bottom 6 needs some net fillers tops 6 has many.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NAF
Beauty Fakes

Tomorrow's cuts: Omark, Jones, Lander, Fedun, Grebeshkov. Pitlick, maybe, since I don't think there's any way he makes the team, despite a great game tonight. Especially with SMac now gifted a roster spot, his chances at grabbing a spot on the 4th line are nonexistent. Heck, eager might even be joining him in OKC, too.

Starting lines look like

Smyth-Hall-Hemsky
Perron-Arcobello-Eberle
Joensuu-Gordon-Yakupov
Hamilton-Acton-Brown
SMac

Smid-Petry
Ference-J Schultz
Belov-Nurse (for 9)
Larsen-N Schultz

Dubnyk
Barbarella

Sound about right?

NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Conkanen*

Man I can't wait for final cuts to see if this new/old regime is serious about players earning their spot.

Conkanen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Shad5150

Still stunned that J.Schultz was compared to Tom Gilbert. Other than that, this team is much improved.

Shad5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
rasarhdasd

I think they want to go with -

Ference-J.Schultz
Smid-Petry
Larsen-Belov

N.Schultz traded for a 3rd liner (center and play them on the wing).

rasarhdasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
belair

vCash: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
As far as our centre issues go, I'd try to get Boyle out of New York. The Rangers are up against the cap and need to sign Stepan.
He would be good or possibly salvaging Talbot from Holmgren's mess in Philly could do the trick.

belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 11:22 PM
MetaOil1993

The good

Joensuu (What a find! Huge upgrade on Harti and can actually skate and make plays)
Belov (Solid all night, fantastic passer, better defensively than I thought and has a bomb of a shot)
Pitlick (Forechecking and hitting all night)
Acton (Best game so far IMO)
Larsen (Love the way he skates the puck up the ice)

The horrible

Omark (not working out, small ice just doesn't suit him)
Jones (what happened? used to be a favourite of mine)
Nick Schultz (Just bad, he seemed slow and had a few bad penalties IMO we have younger/better players than him knocking on the door)

MetaOil1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 11:23 PM
The Perfect Human*

"I grabbed him after the 2nd and asked him if he wanted to be in the NHL. Because if he kept playing the way he did it wouldn't be long. He earned himself a game tomorrow"

-Eakins on Pitlick.

Awesome to hear.

Old
09-23-2013, 11:23 PM
Aerchon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Let me rephrase that ... we're not making the playoffs if we have to make due with him at center for a full month+. Just from what I've seen.

Can't we sign Wellwood?

I'd even do Nick Schultz for Olli Jokinen at this point.
Okay, either your blind or ....

Jokinen was TERRIBLE in that game. He was TERRIBLE last year.

Arco has played head and shoulders above Jokinen probably since the start of the AHL season last year.

Arco has played well. Very good at creating chances. Solid in his own end as well.

Is he ripping it up. No. But he has clearly earned a few games in the regular season for what he has shown in camp. Especially now that Gagner is out.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 11:24 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF View Post
Tomorrow's cuts: Omark, Jones, Lander, Fedun, Grebeshkov. Pitlick, maybe, since I don't think there's any way he makes the team, despite a great game tonight. Especially with SMac now gifted a roster spot, his chances at grabbing a spot on the 4th line are nonexistent. Heck, eager might even be joining him in OKC, too.

Starting lines look like

Smyth-Hall-Hemsky
Perron-Arcobello-Eberle
Joensuu-Gordon-Yakupov
Hamilton-Acton-Brown
SMac

Smid-Petry
Ference-J Schultz
Belov-Nurse (for 9)
Larsen-N Schultz

Dubnyk
Barbarella

Sound about right?
Nurse doesn't get any games in, keep 7 d-men and keep up Eager. Then looks about right to me for a starting lineup.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
Pitlick is channeling Curtis Glencross out there - who also had no offence when he broke into the league at an older age. Good skater and takes a piece out of somebody every shift.

He was credited with 6 hits tonight, out of a team total 28 - double any other player. He had 1 assist and was +1. I'm sure his Corsi is right up there as well.

He's the best forechecker on the team, and outplayed guys like Jones, Brown, Eager, Hamilton, so we'll see what happens.
Yea Eakins said he bought another game with his play.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
misfit
5-14-6-1

I missed the first period, but Pitlick has looked good in all of his preseason games so far. I don't think he makes the team (RW is still pretty stacked), but he did himself a lot of good and might get one more game before being sent back to OKC.

Belov had another solid outing. If he's not the 6th D on opening night, then either somebody had one hell of a final 2 preseason games or Eakins made a mistake.

Arcobello is probably on this team, but he looks like a guy who'll be a perennial AHL all-star, but never have an NHL career.

I'm really glad Gordon is on this team. Not flashy, but he knows what he's doing in all 3 zones.

Yakupov is awesome, but I hope they don't plan on using him on the point on the powerplay once the season starts.

I don't think being a RHS is going to get Larsen a starting job on our defense as I originally expected. I wasn't impressed with the return Horcoff got at the time, and Larsen has done nothing to change my mind. Hey, maybe the 7th in 2016 will turn out to be something someday, but we probably would've been better off keeping him and buying out the contract next offseason.

Schultz was invisible to me, but I don't mind that. Ference seems to be a bigger upgrade there than I originally thought though. I'm liking that signing a lot more now (not that I was against it at the time).

Michaels and Stauffer seemed to be a lot more impressed with Acton and Hamilton tonight than I was.

Joensuu is having a very strong preseason. He's got a lot more jump than I ever remember in previous viewings. I wonder how long he can keep it up? If the answer turns out to be "a long time", then he'll have been a very underrated signing by MacT and a god call by the pro scouts who apparently sold MacTavish on him.

09-23-2013, 11:25 PM
The Perfect Human*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
Okay, either your blind or ....

Jokinen was TERRIBLE in that game. He was TERRIBLE last year.

Arco has played head and shoulders above Jokinen probably since the start of the AHL season last year.

Arco has played well. Very good at crating chances. Solid in his own end as well.

Is he ripping it up. No. But he has clearly earned a few games in the regular season for what he has shown in camp. Especially now that Gagner is out.
...what kind of PCP-laced crack are you smoking? Olli Jokinen is an NHL player. Even if he didn't score tonight he definitely looked like one.

Arcobello has never, and likely will never, look like an NHL player in his career.

Old
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
"I grabbed him after the 2nd and asked him if he wanted to be in the NHL. Because if he kept playing the way he did it wouldn't be long. He earned himself a game tomorrow"

-Eakins on Pitlick.

Awesome to hear.
I just wish Pitlick could do something with the puck. Love his physicality but I wish there was more there.

Old
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Seriously, that's just stupid if that's what they do.
That will go against everything that Eakins said about contracts not coming into play when making the final cuts. Based on him playing Belov in every situation more than every other defenseman I believe, it seems that he likes what he sees.
Eakins is like the Secretary of Coaching. He may have his opinions, it's still the President (MacT) that has the final say. Even when it comes to picking the captain, something we've been told is Eakins' decision, I've still heard him say that he's making a "recommendation" to MacT. Now maybe MacT won't veto Eakins' choice unless he really disagrees, but once again, it does show you who is really making the final decisions.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Gobo
Stop looking Gare

Belov can be the calming presence on a pair with Larsen.

Ference - Schultz
Smid - Petry
Belov - Larsen
Schultz

Gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 11:26 PM
Draiskull

vCash: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad5150 View Post
Still stunned that J.Schultz was compared to Tom Gilbert. Other than that, this team is much improved.
Whaa? Hmm well both are RD and Gilbert did score 45 pts back in his prime..
Skating / shot / passes are not comparable at all.

Draiskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
syz
[1, 5, 6, 14]

Lots of people seem to have forgotten that Potter is also still under contract back there as well. One way, I believe?

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
McShogun99

I think opening night lineup will look like this based on tonight's game.

Smyth-Hall-Hemsky
Perron-Eberle-Yakupov
Joenusu-Gordon-Pitlick
Smac-Acton-Brown
Jones,Eager

Ference-Shultz
Smid-Petry
Schultz-Belov
Larsen

McShogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
gooilgo
Fire MacLowe

So unless politics come into play, Grebs does not make this team.

As good as Pitlick played, I would like to see him go back to OKC to work on his offence. Maybe we have a player there though.

gooilgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I missed the first period, but Pitlick has looked good in all of his preseason games so far. I don't think he makes the team (RW is still pretty stacked), but he did himself a lot of good and might get one more game before being sent back to OKC.

Belov had another solid outing. If he's not the 6th D on opening night, then either somebody had one hell of a final 2 preseason games or Eakins made a mistake.

Arcobello is probably on this team, but he looks like a guy who'll be a perennial AHL all-star, but never have an NHL career.

I'm really glad Gordon is on this team. Not flashy, but he knows what he's doing in all 3 zones.

Yakupov is awesome, but I hope they don't plan on using him on the point on the powerplay once the season starts.

I don't think being a RHS is going to get Larsen a starting job on our defense as I originally expected. I wasn't impressed with the return Horcoff got at the time, and Larsen has done nothing to change my mind. Hey, maybe the 7th in 2016 will turn out to be something someday, but we probably would've been better off keeping him and buying out the contract next offseason.

Schultz was invisible to me, but I don't mind that. Ference seems to be a bigger upgrade there than I originally thought though. I'm liking that signing a lot more now (not that I was against it at the time).

Michaels and Stauffer seemed to be a lot more impressed with Acton and Hamilton tonight than I was.
I must not have been paying enough attention lol. First I didn't notice Eager was playing and now you tell me Hamilton played tonight. Lol. News to me!