HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Training Camp | Episode V | Bob Evans Strikes Back

Old
09-24-2013, 03:25 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
I would say that Despres' somewhat lackluster performance merited his potential demotion, anyway... but it's not like anyone on the blueline that he was in direct competition with aside from Bortuzzo (and Maatta... who we know isn't making the team, regardless) distinguished themselves over him, either. Engellend and Niskanen, in particular, more or less sleepwalked through the whole camp and preseason. Which isn't what I expected, particularly Niskanen, who should be fighting for his job.

If he's demoted, hopefully he finds a way to make the most of it, I guess. Though I tend to agree that there isn't much for him to really learn on the farm. Maybe he and a 2nd or 3rd rounder can be traded for half a season of Shawn Horcoff, or something.
And see, here is the problem with the organization.

Has Despres had a lackluster preseason? Sure. So has just about every other player on the Pens roster. But he is the only one who will be "punished" as a result.

There are only two players who should be immune from busting their ass this preseason, and that's 87 and 71 by way of being the two best, most-dominant players in the league. I'm not saying they can loaf it, but if those 2 choose to pace themselves, okay.

And here's the real kicker? There's been one known, open competition this camp: 2nd-line LW. And who have the two best players been this preseason?

Bennett and Jokinen.

Weird. Maybe if you let people ACTUALLY COMPETE for a job, and not just award someone because they are as ****** as you were when you plugged your way through the league, the rest of the roster would rise to the occasion.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 03:28 PM
mpp9

I think DB wants Glass and Adams to pace themselves.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 03:29 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Awesome avatar.
I have to agree here, awesome avy, CW. But I don't agree with Vitale being better than Adams blocking shots, or...his willingness to do it the extent Adams does. Vitale will get limited PK duty compared to Adams for that reason alone.

Edit: This is that season where we just have to see who and where things work out. There is no stone tablet this year beyond the top 5 forwards/4D-man.

Last edited by Ugene Malkin: 09-24-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 03:31 PM
SHOOTANDSCORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post

We all knew it was coming. The Gladams line will not be denied.

SHOOTANDSCORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 03:37 PM
Shady Machine

In before the site crashes and I lose my sense of purpose for 8 hours.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 03:41 PM
SHOOTANDSCORE

Quote:
To be honest, I don't have much of a problem with Bennett on the 3rd line. I guess it's because I expected it to happen. That said, I think he will be very effective in that role and can add scoring punch to the 3rd line. Bennett setting up Sutter and Kobasew banging in the crease area could make that a great depth scoring line. I'd obviously prefer Dupuis and Bennett switched but we all know that's not going to happen.
I don't think that Bennett on the 3rd is the most effective use of personnel but I'm not going to freak out about it. I think swapping Bennett and Dupius gives us a hell of a line up though.

I'm not really worried about Beau, as 3rd line minutes didn't hurt Staal any. You are right though, it probably is 'ok' because we expected it.

Old
09-24-2013, 03:43 PM
vabm8
Injured Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
I like Vitale as well but i don't like Vitale with Glass.

Zolniercyk-Vitale-Adams

I wouldn't mind this.
Does anyone like any player with Glass?

Sill - Vitale - Zolniercyk/Jeffrey/Adams(for DB)

Preferably not Adams, he's beyond done at this point and it's ridiculously obvious. He fell off the final cliff. Zolniercyk or Jeffrey could be the 13th forward.

Quote:
Weird. Maybe if you let people ACTUALLY COMPETE for a job, and not just award someone because they are as ****** as you were when you plugged your way through the league, the rest of the roster would rise to the occasion.
Interesting idea, Disco dumbass wouldn't like it. Not enough favouring the people that remind him of himself.

It's also cheaper in this situation. They could ice a really good lineup, but they won't. It will be players that shouldn't be there and ****** lines.

vabm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 03:45 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
It is if you want to keep a full roster. We were roughly 1.1 mil over cap with 13 forwards, 8 d and 2 goalies. Vokoun is 2mil so that gives us 900k in cap space but then you subtract Zatkoff's cap hit of 540k and you have roughly 360k left. That also means you have 8 d and 13 forwards so you'd have to move one of Jeffrey or D'Agostini to sign Kobasew and be under the cap. Since injuries will happen, they will likely keep both of those guys and send Despres to the AHL until the figure out what they want to do.
Got it, I knew I was missing a player (Kobasew signing)

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 03:46 PM
Freeptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingGoalie View Post
the rules state we have to wait 10 games or (i think) 24 calender days before getting cap relief. So he literally can't come off the cap until it's too late for the start of the season.
If that were true, the Flyers would have to deal with Pronger's cap hit to start the season and the Bruins would have to deal with Savard's.

Given that the past few seasons have shown that isn't the case, I think we can all agree that Rossi doesn't know what he's talking about when he wrote that.

Also, someone quoted from the CBA in another post and clearly showed that the rules do not state that - just that the team physician has to state that the player will miss at least that much time.

Freeptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 03:46 PM
SHOOTANDSCORE

On a side note, is anyone else struggling with whether or not to support Team USA? The way I figure it, if they make it to the gold medal game DB will be virtually untouchable for several years.

Also, he has shown that the only time he is willing to change/adapt is when he is fighting for his job, similar to his playing career.

Old
09-24-2013, 03:47 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
In before the site crashes and I lose my sense of purpose for 8 hours.
Seriously, I'm going to have to watch dancing with the stars tonight since this site will be down

Old
09-24-2013, 03:48 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOOTANDSCORE View Post
On a side note, is anyone else struggling with whether or not to support Team USA? The way I figure it, if they make it to the gold medal game DB will be virtually untouchable for several years.

Also, he has shown that the only time he is willing to change/adapt is when he is fighting for his job, similar to his playing career.
Bylsma or not come on. If you're American then yes you should cheer the team 100%. And the players will most probably not listen anyways

Old
09-24-2013, 03:48 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Awesome avatar.
Your approval is noted, Admiral Shady.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
I have to agree here, awesome avy, CW. But I don't agree with Vitale being better than Adams blocking shots, or...his willingness to do it the extent Adams does. Vitale will get limited PK duty compared to Adams for that reason alone.

You see? Already the darkness has crept into your mind... telling you that Vitale cannot block enough shots if asked to. Learn the ways of the old jedi masters and repeat this mantra or suffer the same fate as your once-illuminated Chancellor: "If a theory is proposed that uses the words 'Vitale can't' or "Vitale won't', take heed, for you are being led down a dark and dangerous path." *

Now that darkness has taken me and Bob Evans hardens my heart (valves), all I can do is tell you all the truth. It is too late... for me.

* Exception: if the theory says something analogous to 'Vitale can't be given too much responsibility; he eats responsibility for breakfast', or, 'Vitale won't let you down', you may proceed with confidence in your learnings.

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 09-24-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 03:51 PM
vabm8
Injured Reserve

Quote:

I'm not American, so I have no problem wanting him to fall flat on his face. It serves my purposes on a national and Pens level.

Old
09-24-2013, 03:58 PM
Vokouna Maattata
Save us, Beau!

Actually, tbh, I'm quite contempt with Zatkoff being the backup when the season starts. He seems very athletic and plays a very composed game, all while being pretty big. As long as Vokoun will be ready for the playoffs, I don't think a panic move is called for. With Vokoun being on LTIR, that also allows us to keep Niskanen, which I'm actually okay with. Trading him in the future for a 3rd liner would be ideal, but keeping him wouldn't make me lose any sleep. Trading Nisky for a 3rd line LW PF would be perfect, but I'm not sure that's possible. A 3rd line of PF-Sutter-Bennett would be awesome.

Vokouna Maattata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 04:07 PM
SHOOTANDSCORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Bylsma or not come on. If you're American then yes you should cheer the team 100%. And the players will most probably not listen anyways
Maybe but I don't think it is that simple. For the record, I honestly don't believe the Pens can win another Cup under DB.

I would trade 2 gold medals for a Pens Stanley Cup. And I'd make that trade 100 times out of 100. Maybe I don't put as much stock in the olympics as other do, which is why I'm asking.

Old
09-24-2013, 04:09 PM
SHOOTANDSCORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabm8 View Post
I'm not American, so I have no problem wanting him to fall flat on his face. It serves my purposes on a national and Pens level.

I wouldn't mind Sid and Geno battling for the gold.

Old
09-24-2013, 05:22 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
And see, here is the problem with the organization.

Has Despres had a lackluster preseason? Sure. So has just about every other player on the Pens roster. But he is the only one who will be "punished" as a result.

There are only two players who should be immune from busting their ass this preseason, and that's 87 and 71 by way of being the two best, most-dominant players in the league. I'm not saying they can loaf it, but if those 2 choose to pace themselves, okay.

And here's the real kicker? There's been one known, open competition this camp: 2nd-line LW. And who have the two best players been this preseason?

Bennett and Jokinen.

This is why I hate that DB said that there were only 2 spots. That leads to guys not having to fight for a spot, so they don't try.

Not to mention there should be more than two jobs to fill:
1st line RW
2nd line LW
3rd line wongs
Whole 4th line
13th forward
Whole 3rd pairing
7th Dman
Starting goalie

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 05:41 PM
vabm8
Injured Reserve

It's not a competitive environment and the best players won't make the team too. That probably contributes to the preseason effort actually.

I think I feel sorry for Adams at this point, I just realized.

Old
09-24-2013, 05:44 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
To be honest, I don't have much of a problem with Bennett on the 3rd line. I guess it's because I expected it to happen. That said, I think he will be very effective in that role and can add scoring punch to the 3rd line. Bennett setting up Sutter and Kobasew banging in the crease area could make that a great depth scoring line. I'd obviously prefer Dupuis and Bennett switched but we all know that's not going to happen.
I can accept Bennett on the third line as long as Jussi is actually earning his spot on the 2nd line and Bennett is getting consistent time on the 3rd.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 05:54 PM
SHOOTANDSCORE

Quote:
Quote:
#Pens lines at practice: Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis; Jokinen-Malkin-Neal; Kobasew-Sutter-Bennet; Glass-Jeffrey-Adams
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=683929&cmpid
Quote:
Pittsburgh Penguins at Detroit Red Wings
Sept. 25, 2013 - Preseason Game 6 at Joe Louis Arena

PENGUINS LINEUP

Goaltenders
29 MARC-ANDRE FLEURY – G
37 JEFF ZATKOFF – G

Position Players
2 MATT NISKANEN – D
4 ROB SCUDERI – D
5 DERYK ENGELLAND – D
9 PASCAL DUPUIS – F
12 CHUCK KOBASEW – F
14 CHRIS KUNITZ – F
15 TANNER GLASS – F
16 BRANDON SUTTER – F
17 DUSTIN JEFFREY – F
18 JAMES NEAL – F
19 BEAU BENNETT – F
27 CRAIG ADAMS – F
36 JUSSI JOKINEN – F
41 ROBERT BORTUZZO – D
44 BROOKS ORPIK – D
58 KRIS LETANG – D
71 EVGENI MALKIN – F
87 SIDNEY CROSBY – F
Quote:
The final two games, he said, will be "more focused on the final roster," suggesting that they will be dress rehearsals for the regular season.
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...d-line-703447/

I think this is our opening night lineup.

Old
09-24-2013, 05:59 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Quote:

Leave it to the Pens board. Instead of a gold medal signifying that DB is indeed a very good coach outside of the Penguins "gifts", some take it as potential disaster because he'd be untouchable for several years.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 06:02 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Leave it to the Pens board. Instead of a gold medal signifying that DB is indeed a very good coach outside of the Penguins "gifts", some take it as potential disaster because he'd be untouchable for several years.
If nothing else, it should be a good learning experience.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 06:10 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Less Glass/Adams more Vitale please.

I'd rather see Beau on the left side than the right.

Kunitz, Crosby, Dupuis
Jokinen, Malkin, Neal
Bennett, Sutter, Kobasew
Glass, Jeffrey, Adams

Orpik, Martin
Scuderi, Letang
Niskanen, Bortuzzo

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 06:10 PM
cygnus47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
This is why I hate that DB said that there were only 2 spots. That leads to guys not having to fight for a spot, so they don't try.

Not to mention there should be more than two jobs to fill:
1st line RW
2nd line LW
3rd line wongs
Whole 4th line
13th forward
Whole 3rd pairing
7th Dman
Starting goalie
Country Club Penguins is exaggeration but maybe not as much as it should be.

cygnus47 is offline   Reply With Quote