HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

New Jersey signs Damien Brunner [2 years, $2.5M AAV]

Old
09-24-2013, 09:16 PM
Kurt Cobain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
Sorry but that's awful.
How is that awful? No devil fan thinks we have a great team but we definitely have a potential playoff team on our hands.. Our forwards are very deep from lines one through four. Our defense is anything but spectacular but we play a very good team defense that is still fantastic at limiting shots against. Last but not least do not forget about Schneider. The guy still hasn't let up a goal all preseason so far; he's 61 for 61 on shots against so far. He's gonna be the the starter by mid November in my opinion so well have a top five goalie in the league and the best back up in he NHL. So it wont be easy on any teams on any given night to score against us. If we can score just in the middle of the pack any where from 14th to 19th we will definitely be a playoff team and could be as high as the 6th seed.

This team has potential especially if some of our young player step up like josefson, tedenby, gelinas and especially larsson who looks read to take the next step. There also is potential that this team could have six 20 goal scorers: Elias, Jagr, Henrique, Zajac, Clowe, Ryder, Brunner and guys like Josefson, Zubrus, and Loktionov all havin potential to score 15 goals each.

I would also say we got if not the potential best fourth line in the league at least one of the best. Our best asset is the depth of our forwards. We may have some older players but wih our depth we don't have to play all our best players more that twenty mins a night every night. Deboer is one of best coaches when it comes to trusting his bottom two lines, he's the exact opposite of Tortorella.

No Devils' fans think this team is a world beater but teams would be very mistaken to take us lightly. Also, the the more fans of other teams and the pundits expect us to to bad the better we do. It's when big things are expected from us that we have our subpar seasons.

I'm very confident we will be a playoff team this season.

Last edited by Kurt Cobain: 09-24-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Kurt Cobain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 09:18 PM
vwg*

While the Devils don't have much top end talent at forward without Kovalchuk, they can now roll basically 3 solid two-way 2nd lines. It'll be interesting to see how well the Devils do offensively.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 09:26 PM
Kurt Cobain

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwg View Post
While the Devils don't have much top end talent at forward without Kovalchuk, they can now roll basically 3 solid two-way 2nd lines. It'll be interesting to see how well the Devils do offensively.
Yeah we don't have a traditional number one line, although Elias is still an elite and very underrated player who could easily have a 70 point season this year(which I hope he does so he'll reach 1000 points this season). But we do basically have two better better than average second lines as our top two lines. A third line that could be considered an average to slightly below average second line on most teams. And on top of that a fourth line that I would consider as good as the third lines most teams put out.

Old
09-24-2013, 09:38 PM
Kurt Cobain

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntison View Post
Weakest center depth in the league?
Depth we got at center especially if Elias plays center which is a strong possibility. What we don't have is a true number one center. That's the problem.

Old
09-24-2013, 09:44 PM
Dfence033

The numbers based on their last 3 NHL seasons goals/82 games:

Henrique (19) - Zajac (12) - Ryder (27)
Elias (29) - Loktionov (14) - Jagr (24)
Clowe (19) - Zubrus (14) - Brunner (12)
Olesz (13) - Josefson (5) - Bernier (8)

196 goals, assuming the entire forward group plays all 82 games. To be "middle of the pack," the New Jersey defense would need to add 27 goals (they combined to average 19 per 82 games during the same time period). That's with a team of 5 skaters 35 or older, including 2 of the top 3 projected scorers (and 3 of the top 5), and doesn't take into account major injury risks like Clowe (#4 projected scorer).

With 80% of the top 5 projected scorers having their status up in the air, the Devils are playing with fire. Brunner is a good signing, but this is still a roster that most likely finishes bottom third in the NHL in goals/game. They lack a go-to threat/premier scorer. They are counting on a LOT of production from some very seasoned players. Teams that set up like this more often than not finish drafting highly than playing for the Cup.

Dfence033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 09:46 PM
Kurt Cobain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
New Jersey is going to be the most painfully mediocre team in the league this season. Simply amazing they were actually in the Cup Finals just over a year ago.
How is it it simply amazing that we made it to he finals that season? We were firing on all cylinders that postseason. We were he underdogs in every series and didn't have home ice advantage in one series leading up to the finals and knocked out your team in five in pretty dominating fashion.

Your flyers team is very similar to our team this season also. Except your team lacks one thing that we have and that is above average goaltending. I'd be shocked if he flyers finished ahea of us this season...

Last edited by Kurt Cobain: 09-24-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old
09-24-2013, 10:01 PM
Aethon
12 Axes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfence033 View Post

Henrique (19) - Zajac (12) - Ryder (27) i

196 goals
If you did by/82 Brunner should be at 22 goals. Since he had 12 goals in 44 games and that is his only record.

That brings the total up to 208. Without defense.

Last season the 15th rank offence was the Rangers with 126 goals in 48 games...That equals to 215 goals in an 82 game season... middle of the pack sounds very accurate to me.

Aethon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 10:03 PM
MJB Devils23*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
Devils have so much more depth this year up front than they did last year. even without Kovalchuk and Clarkson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
They aren't going to have a true #1 line but they will have a VERY balanced 4 lines.

if they had Schneider in place of Hedberg last year, they would've made the playoffs. and that team was not as good or as deep as this one.
Yea this is exactly what I've been saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallHockeyLegend View Post
Yeah fair enough, I just looked at the line up and the new division you guys are in and I see a lot of you saying how solid the line up looks and I don't see it... but fair enough. I don't mean to be a hater. You're not in the Leafs division so I wish you lots of success till the playoffs!
Hey man. It's cool. If it means anything to you, I think people are underselling the Leafs too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Snepsts View Post
It'll be interesting to see how he does. He was good for the Wings but then hit the wall in
February. He probably wasn't used to the grind of an NHL season, especially a shortened one with an even tighter schedule.

Great offensive talent but needs to be more responsible defensively if he wants to stay on the top two lines. I think that was his beef with Detroit. It sounded like he wanted a guaranteed spot in the top 6 and Holland/Babcock wouldn't do it.
He was good in the playoffs though playing on the 3rd line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBandwagonerNo272 View Post
Not bad at all, to be honest.

Weak down the middle.
It all depends on which Zajac and Henrique we get. If they play like they can, 90 points combined will be plenty good enough for them to compete. We can't have those two being 30 point players like they were last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaossKing View Post
I think people are focussing on Kovy and Clarkson leaving, and forgetting me jettisoned Sully, Poni and all the rest of the desperate trash we picked up during last season. deep is much deeper, even if we are missing elite 1L talents
Yea that's the thing. The Devils have proven that losing star players by no means means they will be a worse team than they were before. Since the end of 2004, we've lost Scott Stevens, Scott Niedermayer, Scott Gomez, Brian Rafalski, Brian Gionta, John Madden, Scott Clemmensen (ok this one wasn't a huge loss, but his name was Scott so I had to include him ), Paul Martin, Zach Parise (this loss seems to have affected the Devils the most), David Clarkson, and Ilya Kovalchuk. The Devils have kept on trucking only missing the playoffs twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
Not unless Henrique becomes Henrique Zetterberg.
We have a guy by the name of Patrik Elias who is very comparable to Henrik Zetterberg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
What are you talking about. That is a damn good team. NO superstars but they have the next best thing and that is depth all around. Josefson has had a great preseason and may finally be developing into a top 6 center. Personally I love henrique's two way game at center too much to play him at wing. Id go with a Clowe Henrique zubrus thrid line, put brunner in a top 6 role and that is a solid team.
Thank you man. From a Flyers fan saying this, this actually means a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntison View Post
Weakest center depth in the league?
Our center depth is a question mark. But if they all play to their capabilities, the center depth will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
But lost Kovy and Clarkson in the process. That has to be taken into account.
Kovy's loss is over-exaggerated. Key player for the Devils he was. But his style did clash too much with Deboer's system. He wasn't a puck possession guy, and tended to wander too much in the offensive zone. He was most useful off the rush. Once the Devils started forechecking, he was always out of position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfence033 View Post

Henrique (19) - Zajac (12) - Ryder (27)

196 goals, assuming the entire forward group plays all 82 games. To be "middle of the pack," the New Jersey defense would need to add 27 goals (they combined to average 19 per 82 games during the same time period). That's with a team of 5 skaters 35 or older, including 2 of the top 3 projected scorers (and 3 of the top 5), and doesn't take into account major injury risks like Clowe (#4 projected scorer).

With 80% of the top 5 projected scorers having their status up in the air, the Devils are playing with fire. Brunner is a good signing, but this is still a roster that most likely finishes bottom third in the NHL in goals/game. They lack a go-to threat/premier scorer. They are counting on a LOT of production from some very seasoned players. Teams that set up like this more often than not finish drafting highly than playing for the Cup.
Devils fans are confident we'll see the real Zajac next year. 50-60 points with great defensive play. Henrique is the guy we don't know what to expect. He's still young. But one thing that was consistent was his goal scoring and is also good defensively. His playmaking ability is the biggest question mark with him. We need 40 points from him ideally. But his ceiling can be 60 points possibly. 90-100 points combined from those two will be plenty enough, and if the Devils get that, they will be a playoff team.

MJB Devils23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 10:18 PM
Swervin81
Content Leaf fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Lamoriello signing a lot of non-Devils type players these days but I guess there is a slight desperation to not underperform this season, with giving up the first rounder.
What do you mean non-Devils? It's not like DeBoer is running the same system Lemaire did years ago.

Swervin81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 10:38 PM
Kurt Cobain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
What do you mean non-Devils? It's not like DeBoer is running the same system Lemaire did years ago.
Unfortunately it's gonna take years before people realize we don't trap under Deboer. Stereotypes die hard. We still believe in our forwards knowing how to play a two way game, but even when we were in our so called "trap era" we still would sign and trade for guys who weren't known for their defensive abilities. ie. Alexander Mogilny.

Scott Gomez is another guy we had where we would overlook his defensive liabilities because of his offensive abilities.

Old
09-24-2013, 10:48 PM
Tretyak 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
But lost Kovy and Clarkson in the process. That has to be taken into account.
The forwards we lost scored a combined 71 points last year. The forwards we signed scored a combined 115 points last year. I think we did ok under the circumstances.

Tretyak 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 10:52 PM
McClelland

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeny Oliker View Post
I called it!

where is the source?
The same place were you saw it the first time!

McClelland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 11:25 PM
MessierII

Good signing.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 12:30 AM
MJB Devils23*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Larsson View Post
Unfortunately it's gonna take years before people realize we don't trap under Deboer. Stereotypes die hard. We still believe in our forwards knowing how to play a two way game, but even when we were in our so called "trap era" we still would sign and trade for guys who weren't known for their defensive abilities. ie. Alexander Mogilny.

Scott Gomez is another guy we had where we would overlook his defensive liabilities because of his offensive abilities.
Gomez was a weird one. On paper, you wouldn't think his style would translate well with the Devils. But the Devils was probably the best team for him. He hasn't been the same since leaving.

Old
09-25-2013, 12:31 AM
MJB Devils23*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tretyak 20 View Post
The forwards we lost scored a combined 71 points last year. The forwards we signed scored a combined 115 points last year. I think we did ok under the circumstances.
I don't disagree with what you're trying to say, but I don't think it works like that either.

Old
09-25-2013, 12:34 AM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

vCash: 50
Decent deal for Brunner

Not the kind of player I'd say "fits" with the Devils play style (I know DeBoer doesn't play the trap) but New Jersey desperately needs some scoring touch so you make due with what's available!

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 12:49 AM
Kurt Cobain

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGreene06 View Post
Gomez was a weird one. On paper, you wouldn't think his style would translate well with the Devils. But the Devils was probably the best team for him. He hasn't been the same since leaving.
To be fair his two seasons in ny were not bad at all. Especially his first season where he scored 70 points and his second year he had 60 points which I consider to be standard Scott Gomez seasons. The problem was that ridiculous contract. He was being paid a ppg type salary and he never was a ppg type player except for that one season after the lockout. But I do agree that he should of never left nj he fit the devils like a glove.

The one thing about Gomez was that if he just had an average shot at best he probably could of been an all star year in and year out. He may have had the worst shot in the league amongst top six forwards during his prime. He'll I think I even had a better shot than him lol. I don't even think he could hit 80 Mphs on a slap shot. Lol.

Old
09-25-2013, 01:57 AM
KingPuckChoo
Go kinGs Go !

vCash: 550
the devils don't look bad at all in my opinion

their goaltending better than last two years
so is their d

the main question is their offense but despite not having star players (i.e. parise, kovalchuk) i haven't seen the devils have this much depth in a long time (elias, henrique, jagr, ryder, zajac, clowe, carter, loktionov, brunner, zubrus, tedenby, s. gionta, josefson, matteau, bernier)

PRETTY SOLID IMO

KingPuckChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 07:13 AM
Zobitembois
Devilsfanindisguise

I will always feel bad for Scott Gomez. I grew up watching the EGG line succeed, and was pretty disapointed when he signed with the Rangers.

Zobitembois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 10:48 AM
B A T M A N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
New Jersey is going to be the most painfully mediocre team in the league this season. Simply amazing they were actually in the Cup Finals just over a year ago.
The Devils had Parise and Kovalchuk a year ago.

Let's see how good Detroit looks if they lose Zetterberg and Datsyuk one year apart.

Don't worry about us. We lost Stevens and Niedermayer in the same year before. And we still, like you said, made the cup final not too long after. Even with our "underwhelming defensive core." We'll be fine but I appreciate you having us in your thoughts.

B A T M A N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 11:42 AM
AfroThunder396
Certified G

vCash: 835
At one point last year our lineup was:

Elias-Loktionov-Bernier
Ponikarovsky-Zajac-Clarkson
Carter-Henrique-D'Agostini
Barch-Gionta-Kostopoulos

I don't understand how people can say adding Ryder, Brunner, Jagr, Clowe, and Olesz to that group ISN'T a gargantuan upgrade.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 12:57 PM
KingPuckChoo
Go kinGs Go !

and if my memory serves me right before their stanley cup finals season...wasn't clarkson clocking at around 11-13mins per game? it's just the last two seasons that he was bumped in minutes

i don't think he was such a huge factor/loss for the Devils

and you know what, how many times have we counted the Devils out only to see them make the playoffs? Last year was the only time in recent memory where that prediction was correct

and i'd argue they are a better team this year

also, Kovy was never a good fit for the Devils (Devils were never an offensive team) but a guy like Clowe is a better fit I would think

Old
09-25-2013, 12:59 PM
KingPuckChoo
Go kinGs Go !

another thing, hate to say this, but a Brodeur/Hedberg tandem was very mediocre for the past 4-5 seasons now, the system made them way better

i'm thinking a Schneider/Brodeur tandem in the same system would bump their % , close to a guarantee

Brodeur will serve as a mentor/backup at this point similar to Giguere's career torward's the end

Old
09-25-2013, 01:02 PM
nbwingsfan

I think this could end up as a steal for the Devils.

I really believe that Brunner has 30 goal potential. He is going to be streaky for you, but when hes on, hes a fantastic player.

Really wish the Wings held on to him, especially at that price (**** you Samuelsson).

nbwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 01:24 PM
B A T M A N

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPuckChoo View Post
another thing, hate to say this, but a Brodeur/Hedberg tandem was very mediocre for the past 4-5 seasons now, the system made them way better

i'm thinking a Schneider/Brodeur tandem in the same system would bump their % , close to a guarantee

Brodeur will serve as a mentor/backup at this point similar to Giguere's career torward's the end
Hedberg was not Marty's backup for 4-5 seasons. It was a combination of Clemmensen, Weekes and Hedberg over the years. Just so you know.

And it may have been mediocre, but we were a top division team more often than not throughout the years. Mostly because of the guy starting, not because of the backup.

Like I said before, we didn't need to rebuild after losing Nieds and Stevens. Why in the **** would we call for a rebuild for the losses of Kovalchuk and Clarkson? That's just borderline ridiculous. I compare their losses moreso to Rafalski and Gomez leaving. Both were tremendous for our offense. But you know what? We still contended. We still will. I hope the naysayers tell me how wrong I am.

Last edited by B A T M A N: 09-25-2013 at 01:29 PM.
B A T M A N is offline   Reply With Quote