HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Jones Assigned to OKC

Old
09-26-2013, 01:25 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovableLinus View Post
Why? It's not the Oilers fault he got outplayed by a career AHLer. Do you think they should have kept him simply because he's a nice guy? No. He can only be 'not happy' at himself for his performance.

Jones sucks. Hope he can hunt down in OKC because that's where he'll dwell.
He's frustrated and disappointed, and obviously just received the news. He doesn't have to be a U.N. diplomat and give the rah-rah kubasa bullshat immediately, or at all. He doesn't exist solely for the fans' pastime pleasure.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 01:30 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
He's frustrated and disappointed, and obviously just received the news. He doesn't have to be a U.N. diplomat and give the rah-rah kubasa bullshat immediately, or at all. He doesn't exist solely for the fans' pastime pleasure.
Yup, sometimes it's easy to forget they are people too. Let Jones get a chance to catch his breath a little and I'm sure his attitude will be fine.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 01:31 PM
BleedingOil

hopefully this lights a fire under his cocky lazy ass

BleedingOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 01:33 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiezyg View Post
I think recall waivers was abolished in this cba but i could be wrong
Yep, no re-entry waivers.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 01:37 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I guess he finally decided to talk to the media.
That's good. If he can get some fire back, he's a useful player

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 01:42 PM
Psychoil

Ryan rishaug talked about this this morning.

Paraphrasing, but heres what he said:

hes very surprised jones got cut in place of ryan hamilton, he says anytime you have an nhl veteran that loses a job to an unproven guy, there has to be a significant difference in their play on the ice. He went on to say that he didnt think ryan hamilton was THAT much better than Jones, and Jones has obviously proven more....so he was kinda surprised that they cut jones because he wasnt that much worse than hamilton.

Here another question, is jones better than smyth? If so, why didnt we cut smyth? Im assuming its because of Smyths legacy, and not his on ice play because i'd rather have Ryan Jones than Ryan Smyth on this team

Psychoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 01:44 PM
Asher

If anyone is listening to Stauffer's show Scott Howson is on. For some reason he is not saying it is 100% certain that Jones is going to OKC. He has not been assigned there yet.

Old
09-26-2013, 01:44 PM
LovableLinus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoil View Post

hes very surprised jones got cut in place of ryan hamilton, he says anytime you have an nhl veteran that loses a job to an unproven guy, there has to be a significant difference in their play on the ice. He went on to say that he didnt think ryan hamilton was THAT much better than Jones, and Jones has obviously proven more....so he was kinda surprised that they cut jones because he wasnt that much worse than hamilton.

Here another question, is jones better than smyth? If so, why didnt we cut smyth? Im assuming its because of Smyths legacy, and not his on ice play because i'd rather have Ryan Jones than Ryan Smyth on this team
Because Eakins plans to have Smytty on the top line with Hall and Hemsky, and says it's his most productive.

LovableLinus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 01:48 PM
MeestaDeteta

Quote:

From what I saw this preseason:

Smyth >> Hamilton > Jones

I'm perfectly content with the decision made.

Old
09-26-2013, 01:49 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
If anyone is listening to Stauffer's show Scott Howson is on. For some reason he is not saying it is 100% certain that Jones is going to OKC. He has not been assigned there yet.
Trade request? This sounds interesting.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 01:51 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
If you need to ask this question, then you haven't been watching the games. Smyth has been better than both Hamilton and Jones.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 01:52 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
Bob asked him if it could be a trade instead, and Howson said at this point anything is possible. Maybe they are trying to trade him and if nothing happens he goes to OKC.

Old
09-26-2013, 01:54 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
Bob asked him if it could be a trade instead, and Howson said at this point anything is possible. Maybe they are trying to trade him and if nothing happens he goes to OKC.
Hmmm. I wish I could have heard that conversation. The question now is, "Who could use Jones and would trade for him when he was essentially free on waivers?"

Edit: A swap of two cleared players makes the most sense to me. Or a player about to be cut by another team. The reason I say that is it would just be contract swapping (contract numbers being equal for both sides)

Old
09-26-2013, 01:54 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
Quote:

I guess the point is...regardless of what you might project Jones to be on the depth chart....if he doesnt play better then he's cut. That's the concept of being accountable in training camp. Pitlick got cut after being challenged to have an as good or better game and didn't quite get there. That's my take anyway.

I don't have a problem as long as guys get the opportunity to win back the spot and, on that note, I don't really think Acton or Hamilton have any guarantees going forward judging by what Eakins has said about them ("good, not great"..."need to be better"...etc.).

BoldNewLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 01:55 PM
MeestaDeteta

Quote:
Hmmm, perhaps a trade where we take on a bit of salary, but get another center?

Old
09-26-2013, 01:56 PM
Asher

Quote:
Hmmm. I wish I could have heard that conversation. The question now is, "Who could use Jones and would trade for him when he was essentially free on waivers?"
I assume if there is a team willing to trade for him it would be one that needs to send a contract back.

Old
blackwater
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeestaDeteta View Post
From what I saw this preseason:

Smyth >> Hamilton > Jones

I'm perfectly content with the decision made.
Agreed. Jones legitimately lost his spot, proven nhl player or not, he was beyond awful in the pre season. Smyth actually made plays and created chances, whether smyth haters want to admit it or not, jones did absolutely nothing. Hamilton at least hit people he actually did something out there, unlike jones who just lost the puck, didn't take the body, made bad passes and took bad penalties. Jones deserved to be sent down Plain and simple.

blackwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MeestaDeteta

Quote:
A team that's tight against the cap and needs to move salary themselves - Maybe Leafs?

Old
Quokka

Quote:
A team at or near the contract limit?

Quokka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Billybaroo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingOil View Post
hopefully this lights a fire under his cocky lazy ass
This is just so off the mark its stupid.

Billybaroo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 01:57 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Contract buy out / mutual termination far more likely. He just passed through waivers, 29 other teams could have had him for free.

Maybe the Oilers aren't confident in Jones' eye issue.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 01:57 PM
MeestaDeteta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quokka View Post
A team at or near the contract limit?
Yep also possibility.

Old
09-26-2013, 01:58 PM
MeestaDeteta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Contract buy out / mutual termination far more likely. He just passed through waivers, 29 other teams could have had him for free.

In a cap/contract limit world, there always more to consider besides getting a player for "free".

I don't see Jones agreeing to terminate his contract, he's not going to get more elsewhere on the free agent market.

Old
09-26-2013, 01:59 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
I assume if there is a team willing to trade for him it would be one that needs to send a contract back.
Agreed. I just edited my post saying basically the same thing.

Old
09-26-2013, 02:05 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post

A buyout would open up a little cap space and reduce the contracts by one, but you would think they would have done that by now if that was the plan. My guess is they are trying to trade him. After that, who knows.