HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So you really want to protest?

Old
03-20-2014, 08:23 AM
Bones45
I want my $2!

vCash: 500
So you really want to protest?

So since the protest didn't do so well (from what I heard) the other night.. an idea came into my head. Now, I'm not doing any of this, but if you guys are really at your wits end with this team, consider this:

Nobody goes to the games, and no media really covers them. You are on private property, so any real protest would either be in the Coliseum (you bought tix) or you risk getting tossed out to Hempstead Turnpike.

How about a protest at the Isles offices in Planview, Old Country Road? As per Wiki:

"Included in the purchase was 1535 Old Country Road, which now houses the corporate offices of the New York Islanders and New York Dragons, both of which are owned by Wang. In addition, the building is home to the Plainview Chinese Cultural Center, an organization founded by Wang.[36]"

Surely, you can protest, march with signs, etc--- right in front of the building, no money spent on tickets, and will have tons of cars coming down that road for higher visibility.

You also have Newsday's offices just east in Melville, and I think News 12 Long Island is closeby as well. You can tip them off to get some coverage.

Just a thought.

Bones45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 08:41 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45 View Post
So since the protest didn't do so well (from what I heard) the other night.. an idea came into my head. Now, I'm not doing any of this, but if you guys are really at your wits end with this team, consider this:

Nobody goes to the games, and no media really covers them. You are on private property, so any real protest would either be in the Coliseum (you bought tix) or you risk getting tossed out to Hempstead Turnpike.

How about a protest at the Isles offices in Planview, Old Country Road? As per Wiki:

"Included in the purchase was 1535 Old Country Road, which now houses the corporate offices of the New York Islanders and New York Dragons, both of which are owned by Wang. In addition, the building is home to the Plainview Chinese Cultural Center, an organization founded by Wang.[36]"

Surely, you can protest, march with signs, etc--- right in front of the building, no money spent on tickets, and will have tons of cars coming down that road for higher visibility.

You also have Newsday's offices just east in Melville, and I think News 12 Long Island is closeby as well. You can tip them off to get some coverage.

Just a thought.
I said this to someone the other day. they were telling me that they felt it would not get any following. I am with you makes sense.
If people showed up to games then NVMC would be a good place to do this. but they do not. the offices makes sense since its location is very open and non fans could see something is going on and perhaps call the news.

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 09:15 AM
rollin109

Quote:

Just a thought.
They no longer have their offices there. They moved years ago. All offices are at the coliseum now.

rollin109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 09:38 AM
Duanesutter12

Has anyone ever seen rollin109 and Charles Wang in the same room together??? Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollin109 View Post
They no longer have their offices there. They moved years ago. All offices are at the coliseum now.

Duanesutter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 10:49 AM
rollin109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duanesutter12 View Post
Has anyone ever seen rollin109 and Charles Wang in the same room together??? Hmmm
Just giving a heads up....would look a little silly protesting outside an empty building....

(insert coliseum joke here)

rollin109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 11:15 AM
lorwood

Quote:

Just a thought.
Three people standing outside an office building is pretty easy to ignore.

lorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 11:27 AM
2ndGenIslander
Potvin's Cups

Quote:
This is the truth. I actually had to pick up tickets one time from their "offices" and googled it and it brought me to the location on old country road in plainview. I showed up and looked through the windows and the place was shut down completely and not operating at all. I remember seeing papers on the floor in there and there was no furniture. I ended up going to the coliseum where my tickets were.

2ndGenIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 11:41 AM
scott99

Why not protest in front of the NHL's Main ofice in Manattan ? That's sure to get some press and attention. Protest for the NHL to take over the team until a suitable NHL Owner who CARES can be found.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 11:46 AM
Chardo

Quote:
Just giving a heads up....would look a little silly protesting outside an empty building....

(insert coliseum joke here)

As silly as playing inside one. But they've been doing that for years.

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 12:38 PM
bluechipbonzo

Half the people on here are here just to complain and troll anyway, it's so much easier from the easy chair and laptop. Walk out was a joke and should tell you all you need to know how small your voice is in the ocean of islanders fans...sorry to say

bluechipbonzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 12:45 PM
JetsMetsIsles

Im too defeated to protest. I know it will fall on deaf ears and the team has already taken so much of my enthusiasm for hockey. I usually go to games but I've gone to none since month 1. I was about to buy 4 tickets decided to wait and now Im glad I didnt. Id rather go to Mets games honestly. At least Citi field is nice.

JetsMetsIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 01:06 PM
Bones45
I want my $2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsMetsIsles View Post
Im too defeated to protest. I know it will fall on deaf ears and the team has already taken so much of my enthusiasm for hockey. I usually go to games but I've gone to none since month 1. I was about to buy 4 tickets decided to wait and now Im glad I didnt. Id rather go to Mets games honestly. At least Citi field is nice.
welcome to da club.

Old
03-20-2014, 01:13 PM
PK Cronin
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Why not protest in front of the NHL's Main ofice in Manattan ? That's sure to get some press and attention. Protest for the NHL to take over the team until a suitable NHL Owner who CARES can be found.
Because traveling via train is something that Islanders fans just can't do! I heard they explode if they step foot on the LIRR.

PK Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 01:33 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLandHer View Post
Because traveling via train is something that Islanders fans just can't do! I heard they explode if they step foot on the LIRR.
As Manhattan school kids would say.... FACTS.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 01:37 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

That is true though, their offices aren't there anymore. I live in Plainview. They haven't been there for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I'm not into the protests or anything, but this would be way more effective than doing it to the Islander office. Do it during NHL Live, that will get a lot of attention.

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 01:39 PM
Bones45
I want my $2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLandHer View Post
Well.. I dont know about that. I have traveled via LIRR to NYC hundreds of times for work.. and many times for events at MSG..

and ONCE to Brooklyn for an Isles game..

but thats about it.

Old
03-20-2014, 01:44 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

Quote:
Well.. I dont know about that. I have traveled via LIRR to NYC hundreds of times for work.. and many times for events at MSG..

and ONCE to Brooklyn for an Isles game..

but thats about it.

Yeah when I start my job after I graduate I'm going to have to commute to Manhattan using the LIRR. I'm actually looking forward to it

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 02:35 PM
Islespuck89

Even if there offices where still there, That area is not like the Old Country RD you know. It is a desolate area with few stores that no one goes to. You can drive down there at 9am 3pm 4pm 5pm and there is no traffic at all. It's a ghost town.

Islespuck89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 02:39 PM
ndgolden

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
That is true though, their offices aren't there anymore. I live in Plainview. They haven't been there for years.

I'm not into the protests or anything, but this would be way more effective than doing it to the Islander office. Do it during NHL Live, that will get a lot of attention.
My concern here is although this may be the most effective in generating publicity, the issue I have is the continued negative effect this has on the team with possible UFA signings and the image for future players signing and staying with this once very proud organization. Lets start with finding a solution for our goal tending this summer.

ndgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 02:56 PM
Poliz24

Just don't buy tickets anymore, don't go to games, hurt them in the wallet. If you find yourself going to games, dont buy concessions and try and park your car somehwere else.

Poliz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 03:02 PM
PK Cronin
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poliz24 View Post
Just don't buy tickets anymore, don't go to games, hurt them in the wallet. If you find yourself going to games, dont buy concessions and try and park your car somehwere else.
Buying stub hub tickets doesn't do anything for the team. And this team has had abysmal attendance for years, I really don't think they care.

PK Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 03:13 PM
Knoxville555

Just stop spending your time, money, and energy on the team. Would you go to a bad restaurant over and over again? Why spend money on a shoddy product?

Knoxville555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 06:04 PM
michaelrc51

I'll check with a friend of mine.

Last year my buddy was talking to me and he told me that he did some work in the building that the Isles staff was moving into. At that time they were moving out of the coliseum offices. He met the Wanger and others when he was working there. I then told him I would work for free as long as he took me with him the next time he works there.
I hope he can remember or look up the address.

michaelrc51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 06:57 PM
Poliz24

[QUOTE=iLandHer;81982481]Buying stub hub tickets doesn't do anything for the team. And this team has had abysmal attendance for years, I really don't think they care.[/Q

12-14 bucks to park a car. 9.50 for a beer. Hot dogs are 6-7 bucks. in 41 games it does add up. So the lower the attendance the less $$ they make in concessions and parking. They might care, if the numbers get low. The team does a good job of getting families in the building, but if the younger fans who are old enough to drink stop going, they are losing out. They only real money maker for the team is the TV deal.

Poliz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 08:21 PM
ScaredStreit

Sorry folks but there's nothing we can do. Wang is here to stay. Sucks I know, but it's reality. The sooner it's accepted-the sooner you'll stop stressing about it. Honestly I don't build myself up for "there's always next year" anymore. I assume they're going to suck....and they haven't let me down yet!

Think about it, in his recent interview Snow touted last year as being "successful". Really? Being an average team (8/15) and doing what teams should be doing roughly every other year is successful?

The truth is that we've sucked for so long that we've lowered the bar drastically as to what defines success.

If you want to make noise: Don't show up to the games. If that message doesn't get received (and it wont), there's nothing else you can do.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote