HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 NHL Draft Discussion: Part I

View Poll Results: #1 pick in the 2014 NHL draft
Sam Reinhart 48 41.38%
Aaron Ekblad 44 37.93%
Sam Bennett 6 5.17%
Traded to XXX 13 11.21%
Other 5 4.31%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-28-2013, 12:51 PM
  #76
luki here
Registered User
 
luki here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vienna
Country: Austria
Posts: 2,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
the only player worth drafting would be ekblad, he can also play in the ahl next year too cause he was drafted into the ohl early
That would be an argument against him. Possible additions to bridgeport next year include pelech, pokka, pulock and reinhart. Add pedan, mayfield, de haan and you can see the logjam coming already. Better to draft the forward reinhart and restock the junior prospect pool.


Last edited by luki here: 11-29-2013 at 11:31 AM.
luki here is offline  
Old
11-28-2013, 01:03 PM
  #77
Sidney the Kidney
Epic Collapse
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,714
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by luki here View Post
That would be an argument against him. Possible additions to bridgeport next year include pelech, reinhart and pulock. Add pedan, mayfield, de haan and you can see the logjam coming already. Better to draft the forward reinhart and restock the junior prospect pool.
As I posted above, startainfection is wrong about Ekblad's AHL eligibility. The criteria, in general terms, is either 4 full seasons of junior hockey (this is Ekblad's 3rd year) or 20 years old the year the AHL season begins (Ekblad is only turning 18 next year).

Sidney the Kidney is offline  
Old
11-28-2013, 02:32 PM
  #78
Paulinho
No Man's Sky
 
Paulinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Earth
Country: United States
Posts: 2,302
vCash: 500
Like I said before, if we have a top 10 pick we have to keep it and Snow WILL keep it. This draft has plenty of talent.

Paulinho is offline  
Old
11-28-2013, 02:58 PM
  #79
Konk
Registered User
 
Konk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,025
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTrotts19 View Post
Anyone know anything about this kid Nick Ritchie? From the little I have read, seems to be a big bodied winger with a pretty good touch.
He is a prototypical power forward in the mold of Milan Lucic, with a pro shot already.

He has a devastating physical game, smart offensive player, and is a skilled fighter. Absolute manchild. Some were worried last year that his style of play led to too many injuries, but he's managing to stay healthy thus far this year. If the Isles pick around 5-7 they'll need to strongly consider him as I believe he'll step right into the NHL next year and has unique upside.

Konk is offline  
Old
11-28-2013, 03:04 PM
  #80
Sidney the Kidney
Epic Collapse
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,714
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
He is a prototypical power forward in the mold of Milan Lucic, with a pro shot already.

He has a devastating physical game, smart offensive player, and is a skilled fighter. Absolute manchild. Some were worried last year that his style of play led to too many injuries, but he's managing to stay healthy thus far this year. If the Isles pick around 5-7 they'll need to strongly consider him as I believe he'll step right into the NHL next year and has unique upside.
Ritchie is really a throwback to when the term powerforward referred to a guy who throws his weight around consistently and drops the gloves, as opposed to nowadays where a powerforward is someone who just has some size and uses it to fend off checkers and drive to the net, but doesn't necessarily hit a lot or fight at all.

Sidney the Kidney is offline  
Old
11-28-2013, 04:23 PM
  #81
Paulinho
No Man's Sky
 
Paulinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Earth
Country: United States
Posts: 2,302
vCash: 500
If the season ended today and we had the 4th pick... bring on Michael Dal Colle.

Paulinho is offline  
Old
11-28-2013, 07:08 PM
  #82
Sparksrus3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Ritchie is really a throwback to when the term powerforward referred to a guy who throws his weight around consistently and drops the gloves, as opposed to nowadays where a powerforward is someone who just has some size and uses it to fend off checkers and drive to the net, but doesn't necessarily hit a lot or fight at all.
Would we be referring to niño ? Good1

Sparksrus3 is offline  
Old
11-29-2013, 12:40 PM
  #83
YashinWorksHard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Spain
Posts: 240
vCash: 500
I think Nylander is the most talented and dynamic player in this draft, i would love to take him. Not ready and has his weaknesses though. A top six with Tavares, Vanek, Strome and Nylander would be deadly.

YashinWorksHard is offline  
Old
11-29-2013, 05:38 PM
  #84
MarginallyTalented
Registered User
 
MarginallyTalented's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Posts: 367
vCash: 500
Considering the isles will pick like 3-5, how much do you guys think it would cost us to get Sam on the team? Would love to see the Reinhart bros on the same team. Since there is no true #1 this year, I don't think it would be that much

MarginallyTalented is offline  
Old
11-29-2013, 07:18 PM
  #85
blinkman360
Norris
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lawn Guyland
Country: United States
Posts: 9,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarginallyTalented View Post
Considering the isles will pick like 3-5, how much do you guys think it would cost us to get Sam on the team? Would love to see the Reinhart bros on the same team. Since there is no true #1 this year, I don't think it would be that much
I don't think we could/should. If that happens, then we are out of a 1st and 2nd in '15, which means we probably shouldn't be dealing anymore picks(it would at least cost us our '14 2nd+ to move up to 1st). I'd rather just sit back and take one of Ekblad, DalColle, Bennett or Nylander. The top-5 is strong. IMO the drop-off comes after that.

blinkman360 is offline  
Old
11-29-2013, 07:24 PM
  #86
Ron C.
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Ron C.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Amherst, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Top 3, yes.
4 or 5... Maybe.
Top 6-10.... probably not.

If we have no plan to hire or trade for real defensemen by next season then no, do not use it this year, because we are going to suck apples next year as well. It is that simple.
Sabres fan coming in peace. This is the big question. At what point will Garth decide to keep the pick? Certainly, Reinhart , Ekblad and DalColle, but after that at what point does he defer? Even disregarding McDavid, the 2015 draft is projected by many to be much better in the top 10 than 2014.

I have to admit that I look to the standings for the Isles pick. Best case for us would be 4-6. Garth would have a tough decision. I would be happy with either (I would have preferred Vanek to a long term deal, but that ship has sailed).

Ron C. is offline  
Old
11-29-2013, 07:30 PM
  #87
blinkman360
Norris
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lawn Guyland
Country: United States
Posts: 9,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron C. View Post
Sabres fan coming in peace. This is the big question. At what point will Garth decide to keep the pick? Certainly, Reinhart , Ekblad and DalColle, but after that at what point does he defer? Even disregarding McDavid, the 2015 draft is projected by many to be much better in the top 10 than 2014.

I have to admit that I look to the standings for the Isles pick. Best case for us would be 4-6. Garth would have a tough decision. I would be happy with either (I would have preferred Vanek to a long term deal, but that ship has sailed).
It's a tough spot. Regardless of how you want to pump up the '15 draft, deferring a top-10 pick is basically implying that you expect to struggle again next season, which could really bother some fans.

My hope is that if/when Vanek is traded, which I'm sure he will be if they continue to free-fall(no chance he re-signs if they are a bottom-5 or 10 team), they are able to get at least one 1st rounder in return. With another 1st in your back pocket, it might be easier to pass on a pick in the 6-10 range. If that pick is top-5 though, I'd keep it regardless of what we get back for TV.

blinkman360 is offline  
Old
11-29-2013, 07:35 PM
  #88
Ron C.
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Ron C.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Amherst, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,471
vCash: 500
I want NYI to defer. Any extra chance at McDavid is preferred. We don't have that Crosby. Toews, Tavares player on our roster...nor have we since Lafontaine. I just want to win once in my lifetime.

Ron C. is offline  
Old
11-29-2013, 07:40 PM
  #89
blinkman360
Norris
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lawn Guyland
Country: United States
Posts: 9,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron C. View Post
I want NYI to defer. Any extra chance at McDavid is preferred. We don't have that Crosby. Toews, Tavares player on our roster...nor have we since Lafontaine. I just want to win once in my lifetime.
I would cry myself to sleep for the rest of my life if our pick turned into McDavid, only for another team.

blinkman360 is offline  
Old
11-29-2013, 07:46 PM
  #90
CodeE
Registered User
 
CodeE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,785
vCash: 500
I remember when I was a kid I really wanted Michael Nylander to play for the Islanders simply because "Nylander" is two letters and a space away from "NY Islander". Seeing as though we never got Satan playing for the Devils, St. Louis playing for the Blues, or Ranger playing for the Rangers, I gotta believe we can make this happen.

The Fabulous Reinhart bros would be nice too. If we're picking top 10, don't defer the pick. Fire Cappy, bring in a legit #1 goaltender via UFA, and we won't be in the running for McDavid.

CodeE is offline  
Old
11-29-2013, 07:46 PM
  #91
Ron C.
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Ron C.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Amherst, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I would cry myself to sleep for the rest of my life if our pick turned into McDavid, only for another team.
I almost cried when the Sabres picked Ric Seiling over Mike Bossy.

Ron C. is offline  
Old
11-29-2013, 07:58 PM
  #92
blinkman360
Norris
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lawn Guyland
Country: United States
Posts: 9,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeE View Post
I remember when I was a kid I really wanted Michael Nylander to play for the Islanders simply because "Nylander" is two letters and a space away from "NY Islander". Seeing as though we never got Satan playing for the Devils, St. Louis playing for the Blues, or Ranger playing for the Rangers, I gotta believe we can make this happen.

The Fabulous Reinhart bros would be nice too. If we're picking top 10, don't defer the pick. Fire Cappy, bring in a legit #1 goaltender via UFA, and we won't be in the running for McDavid.
I'd like to think that we'll be much better next year with a couple of changes, but as long as we miss the playoffs that pick could turn into McDavid. We don't have to be bottom-5 anymore to have a shot at the 1st pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron C. View Post
I almost cried when the Sabres picked Ric Seiling over Mike Bossy.
You guys can get him with your own pick!!!

Honestly though, I'll be happy as long as he's not a Ranger or a Penguin... or a Flyer I guess.

blinkman360 is offline  
Old
11-29-2013, 08:04 PM
  #93
Ron C.
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Ron C.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Amherst, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I'd like to think that we'll be much better next year with a couple of changes, but as long as we miss the playoffs that pick could turn into McDavid. We don't have to be bottom-5 anymore to have a shot at the 1st pick.



You guys can get him with your own pick!!!

Honestly though, I'll be happy as long as he's not a Ranger or a Penguin... or a Flyer I guess.
Ouch. The Blackhawks could still jump up to pick him (Kane)

I expect us to be bad again two years from now, but the last time we had the lottery ball advantage, Pittsburgh got Crosby and we got Marek Zagrapan.

Ron C. is offline  
Old
11-29-2013, 08:23 PM
  #94
StrongIslanders90
Registered User
 
StrongIslanders90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: StrongIsland
Country: United States
Posts: 18,320
vCash: 500
I cant belive we are here already..

Draft Griffs Brother or Ekblad if we are not in potision to do so, Trade the pick...

We need A REAL NHL caliber golie and a few real defenseman....Overpay if you have to IDC

StrongIslanders90 is offline  
Old
12-09-2013, 11:53 PM
  #95
CLUTTERSTACHE*
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 397
vCash: 500
Draft Pick Watch (Currently Sitting @ #2 Overall)

top 10 protected pick thank god

Who do we draft?

CLUTTERSTACHE* is offline  
Old
12-09-2013, 11:57 PM
  #96
Brain Hemorrhage
Registered User
 
Brain Hemorrhage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 2,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLUTTERSTACHE View Post
top 10 protected pick thank god

Who do we draft?
For the last time, fans need to stop rejoicing over having the Top 10 protected pick rule as part of the Vanek trade. If next year we finish dead last and miss out on Connor McDavid, the Vanek trade will go down as the worst trade in the history of hockey.

Brain Hemorrhage is offline  
Old
12-09-2013, 11:57 PM
  #97
Backhand of Justice
Casey Zeeky
 
Backhand of Justice's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Garden City, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,153
vCash: 500
I'm looking forward to seeing the Reinhart brothers start the 14-15 season.

Backhand of Justice is offline  
Old
12-09-2013, 11:59 PM
  #98
Brain Hemorrhage
Registered User
 
Brain Hemorrhage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 2,431
vCash: 500
Also, news flash, this years top 10 sucks compared to the past 5 years worth of drafts. Really. Worst top 10 in a long time. It is deep, but there are no obvious super stars. No Seth Jones, etc.

Brain Hemorrhage is offline  
Old
12-10-2013, 12:00 AM
  #99
2LeftSkates
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 497
vCash: 500
Relax, everyone. This is all part of Garth's mastur(bation) plan.

2LeftSkates is online now  
Old
12-10-2013, 12:04 AM
  #100
A Pointed Stick
Can You Believe It?
 
A Pointed Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 9,804
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Hemorrhage View Post
Also, news flash, this years top 10 sucks compared to the past 5 years worth of drafts. Really. Worst top 10 in a long time. It is deep, but there are no obvious super stars. No Seth Jones, etc.
I thought the top 3 were pretty solid?

A Pointed Stick is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.