HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 NHL Draft Discussion: Part I

View Poll Results: #1 pick in the 2014 NHL draft
Sam Reinhart 48 41.38%
Aaron Ekblad 44 37.93%
Sam Bennett 6 5.17%
Traded to XXX 13 11.21%
Other 5 4.31%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-28-2013, 09:08 PM
PWJunior
That's what we do.

vCash: 500
So, Sam Reinhart or Aaron Ekblad?

I'm on the Ekblad bandwagon, he can essentially replace AMac and I'd consider that a HUGE upgrade no matter how inexperienced he would be.

Old
12-28-2013, 09:12 PM
original islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post

I'm on the Ekblad bandwagon, he can essentially replace AMac and I'd consider that a HUGE upgrade no matter how inexperienced he would be.
Like Reinhart. Reminds me of having Jean and Denis Potvin together.

Old
12-28-2013, 09:20 PM
PWJunior
That's what we do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by original islander View Post
Like Reinhart. Reminds me of having Jean and Denis Potvin together.
We have nothing to lose and if we get a crack at Ekblad, then I keep both next season. Hopefully AMac will be elsewhere and I think Visnovsky is done.

CDH-Hamonic
Reinhart-stop gap veteran UFA/Donovan
Hickey-Ekblad

Carkner, Strait

Hopefully we'll have a competent coaching staff next season and they'll use them properly.

Keep all the other kids at Bridgeport and let them fight it out for the Alert 5 pole position. Pulock could be ready some time in the season and insert him on the PP so he can unleash bombs all night. Mayfield and Pokka could surprise.

I'd rather go with that. I'm sick of watching this train wreck of a defense that we currently have.

Last edited by PWJunior: 12-28-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old
12-28-2013, 09:49 PM
fnfelon

Ekblat please, if we have to go through this S--t, at least he would make it tolerable.

Old
12-28-2013, 10:03 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I have to agree with you Rex, but we are gluttons for punishment though aren't we. We love to keep up on out current prospects (you and ITM especially), and we love to scout possible prospects. I bet there isn't one of us who DOESN'T buy the Hockey News Prospects Issue, and the Draft Issue. We keep wanting to believe that our prospects will turn into stars and will help bring us back into Stanley Cup competition. We are all jealous of Chicago's and LA's ownership and leadership, and you can add St Louis, where JD did and Jarko did a fantastic job. My dream is that JD comes to LI and Laviolette is our coach, that alone would give us hope.
Hockey people who actually have a professional track record won't come to work for Charles wang. That's the problem with hoping for this development. Wang hires nothing but newbies in every position so they are intensely loyal to him. He doesn't care if the team wins games...he cares about being in control. Dictator Wang is a textbook case of narcissism. The New York islanders are his toy. Anyone with half a brain would steer clear of working for this megalomaniac and most do! That's why the isles have a back up goalie as a gm and a Fred flinstone look alike as the head coach.

Old
12-28-2013, 10:15 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Please. Chara and Spezza for Yashin. Luongo and Jokinen for Parrish and Kvasha, some really awful trades.
If the islanders lose vanek to free agency, and they undoubtedly will, the islanders would have traded moulson, a first, and a second for nothing at all besides renting vanek for a season. If that first turns out to be Connor macdavid, it will indeed be, not only the worst deal in islander history, but in the history of the NHL. Sorry, but the poster you replied to is correct. The deals you mention wouldn't even come close to being as bad as losing macdavid.

Old
12-28-2013, 10:19 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
-Yes I honestly expect us to compete for a top-5 draft pick next year (thus lottery). By your logic people would have said the same exact thing heading into this season-and yet here we are in contention for yet another bottom-5 finish.

-Even if we lose the lottery-a top 5 pick in that year wont be that much different than this year (which is one of the weakest drafts in recent history).

-As I said if you trade Vanek and grab a 1st for this year-we can still draft in the 1st round (although late).

-Why do you think the Isles wont be in the lottery next year? Just wondering? Because unless they SEVERELY upgrade (2 top-4 minimum defensemen), a starting goaltending, more secondary scoring (our secondary scoring right now is PATHETIC).

Not trying to be a down, or a "chicken little"-I'm just stating the obvious. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
Agreed about the isles' needs...two top four defencemen and a starting goalie...and that's just to start with!

Old
12-28-2013, 11:41 PM
Not4u

Can we speculate who is going to be the GM...because if it's Snow...we will probably trade down and draft a Russian with a 4 year deal in the KHL

Old
12-29-2013, 04:53 AM
kuwo

I can see why people want Ekblad but Reinhart managed to impress me every time I saw him. He is among the best players in the Canadian WJC team, if not the best. Just love the way he plays and the attention to detail he brings. In the end, I don't think it's going to matter, as this team is destined to have a good run sometime in February or March and will pick around 7th to 10th overall, imo. I just hope Snow will pick one of the good sized and skilled wingers that should be available...

Old
12-29-2013, 07:54 AM
StrongIslanders90

I see what Jones is able to do at just 18 and I cant help but think Ekblad is close too,as good, or even better than Jones....

I know we draft so many defenseman, but in a day and age where true top pairing defenseman are few and far between, giving me the guys that look like they can be....

Worst comes to worst we have so many top 4 potential defenseman that we keep te ones we need/can and trade the ones in a package for other areas of need....

I look and Reinhart and Pelech and see 2 guys that I believe will be in our line up for a long time one day....

Old
12-29-2013, 08:00 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:

Are scouts saying Ekblad is nhl ready?

Old
12-29-2013, 09:10 AM
PWJunior
That's what we do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Are scouts saying Ekblad is nhl ready?
I've seen a couple of places referring to him as NHL ready. He's not Seth Jones, but I think he's right on par with Ryan Murray. Still, NHL ready or not - I just want AMac off the team and the entire coaching staff replaced because they are Edmonton-level incompetent.

I'd be fine with any of the top forwards - Reinhart, Draisaitl, Dal Colle, Ritchie, Bennett, etc.

Old
12-29-2013, 10:08 AM
islandermaniac

Quote:
I've seen a couple of places referring to him as NHL ready. He's not Seth Jones, but I think he's right on par with Ryan Murray. Still, NHL ready or not - I just want AMac off the team and the entire coaching staff replaced because they are Edmonton-level incompetent.

I'd be fine with any of the top forwards - Reinhart, Draisaitl, Dal Colle, Ritchie, Bennett, etc.
Nothing will change even if the coaching staff changes. Any new coach will simply be another newbie who is a Charles Wang company man making the smallest of dollars. They will tow the company line because they are just thankful to have a job at the NHL level. Nothing changes unless Wang sells. Why would he sell, though? He LOVES all the attention he gets by owning a professional sports team in New York. He is such a narcissist that he can't even distinguish between negative and positive attention. This guy is so messed up that if someone calls him a jerk, his brain translates that into, "Charles, you are God. I bow at your feet. Oh, and while I'm down here, may I wash them for you?" Seriously, to work for this man, one has to set aside all of their self respect. The coach and the gm of the nyi have done that and that is why I have no respect for either. Ekblad...Reinhart... Give the pick to Buffalo... It honestly matters not.

Old
12-29-2013, 10:17 AM
IslandersFan17

Ekblad seven days a week and twice on Sunday. That would potentially make some other d prospects expendable. Possibly move on to land a goaltender. Would do whatever it takes to try and pry Gibson from the Ducks

Old
12-29-2013, 10:20 AM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

I'd rather trade the pick with a package for some proven talent in the deadline or offseason. I'm tired of rebuilding

Old
12-29-2013, 10:53 AM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Quote:
We have nothing to lose and if we get a crack at Ekblad, then I keep both next season. Hopefully AMac will be elsewhere and I think Visnovsky is done.

CDH-Hamonic
Reinhart-stop gap veteran UFA/Donovan
Hickey-Ekblad

Carkner, Strait

Hopefully we'll have a competent coaching staff next season and they'll use them properly.

Keep all the other kids at Bridgeport and let them fight it out for the Alert 5 pole position. Pulock could be ready some time in the season and insert him on the PP so he can unleash bombs all night. Mayfield and Pokka could surprise.

I'd rather go with that. I'm sick of watching this train wreck of a defense that we currently have.
This is madness PW. Playing Hickey over Strait, you must have hoped I didn't see this post.

Honestly, if that is our defense next year, God help us. Especially if it's Donovan on that 2nd pairing. The Isles will be worse than they are right now. Reinhart and Ekblad have a ton of potential but both need to be worked into 3rd pairing roles, and not at the same time. I love CDH but if he's one of the only guys we can trust, we're screwed. Especially with Hamonic playing in over his head with his terrible rushes and shots that find the opposing legs like no other.

Isles absolutely need to bring in two UFA defensemen. And actual decent players, not Garth Snow reclamation projects. Staple mentioned Matt Niskanen once, I think he'd be a nice addition. Right shot that can play both sides. Having a very impressive contract year. Would also love to add another vet like a Matt Greene or Derek Morris. But I know what team this is, and the lineup of rooks will be much more likely than bringing in anyone better than Sheldon Brookbank.

Old
12-29-2013, 11:14 AM
PWJunior
That's what we do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
This is madness PW. Playing Hickey over Strait, you must have hoped I didn't see this post.

Honestly, if that is our defense next year, God help us. Especially if it's Donovan on that 2nd pairing. The Isles will be worse than they are right now. Reinhart and Ekblad have a ton of potential but both need to be worked into 3rd pairing roles, and not at the same time. I love CDH but if he's one of the only guys we can trust, we're screwed. Especially with Hamonic playing in over his head with his terrible rushes and shots that find the opposing legs like no other.

Isles absolutely need to bring in two UFA defensemen. And actual decent players, not Garth Snow reclamation projects. Staple mentioned Matt Niskanen once, I think he'd be a nice addition. Right shot that can play both sides. Having a very impressive contract year. Would also love to add another vet like a Matt Greene or Derek Morris. But I know what team this is, and the lineup of rooks will be much more likely than bringing in anyone better than Sheldon Brookbank.
Haha. My Hickey hate has probably transferred over the AMac. You know what, I'm really coming around on him though. He's not hot garbage and can help us.

I agree with most of your post. I don't bother thinking about UFA's because it just leads to more frustration. The only way this team is going to upgrade the defense is from within, Ekblad would just be a bonus. Even if we drafted him #1 overall, he'll be sent back to Barrie after making the team (looking impressive too) and sitting in the press box for the first 5 games. He'd be like, 'WTF?' and all the other kids would just laugh and tell him, 'join the club, we didn't get it either'.

Old
12-29-2013, 12:52 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

vCash: 3178
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post

But would it really be that much worse? Replacing Ekblad with Macdonald, and Reinhart should at the very least be better than Strait/Carkner/anyone not named Hamonic/Dehaan. The problem is it is such a young defense, and will have so many growing pains. Hamonic is the only proven NHL defenseman on that roster.

Old
01-16-2014, 04:53 PM
Goombha
Consolation Prize

Race to the Draft

Oh no he didn't! LOL.

I'm clinging to a glimmer of hope, but in the likely event we're on the outside looking in come the playoffs, how do you think this season plays out? What draft pick will we have? What will we do with it? What should we do with it? How does Vanek and Amac factor in? This is truly a legit and potentially enveloping discussion should anyone have the stones to discuss it.

Old
01-16-2014, 05:21 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
Isles **** the bed til the last 3 weeks of the season, pick up meaningless points and end up with the 6th pick in the draft - a state of disarray; don't know whether to forfeit the pick to Buffalo or keep it and draft it after putting themselves out of a spot for Reinhart, Ekblad, Bennett, Draisaitl.

Old
01-16-2014, 06:40 PM
Goombha
Consolation Prize

This is a great thread, didn't even know it existed, lot's of great info.

I come here to learn, my draft knowledge is limited, so pardon any ignorance.

Question: I thought I heard that the lottery was changed a bit. Is that true? Anyone care to elaborate?

My first choice is obviously making the playoffs, but if we don't, am I a bad fan for wanting to finish low? Oh how I'd love them to draft Ekblad.

Old
01-16-2014, 06:47 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goombha View Post
This is a great thread, didn't even know it existed, lot's of great info.

I come here to learn, my draft knowledge is limited, so pardon any ignorance.

Question: I thought I heard that the lottery was changed a bit. Is that true? Anyone care to elaborate?

My first choice is obviously making the playoffs, but if we don't, am I a bad fan for wanting to finish low? Oh how I'd love them to draft Ekblad.
Last year all non playoff teams could win the top pick, previously it was only the top five.

Old
01-16-2014, 07:32 PM
StrongIslanders90

Every none playoff team is now in the lottery correct? If we finish with a pick after 10 but win the lottery is it still protected? When is the deadline to decide to keep it or not?

Old
01-16-2014, 07:56 PM
Poliz24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo Stanfield View Post
Isles **** the bed til the last 3 weeks of the season, pick up meaningless points and end up with the 6th pick in the draft - a state of disarray; don't know whether to forfeit the pick to Buffalo or keep it and draft it after putting themselves out of a spot for Reinhart, Ekblad, Bennett, Draisaitl.
I see this scenario having the highest chance of happening. But if we do decide to keep the pick this year, I will not be surprised if we end up picking another D-man.

Old
01-16-2014, 08:19 PM
PWJunior
That's what we do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poliz24 View Post
I see this scenario having the highest chance of happening. But if we do decide to keep the pick this year, I will not be surprised if we end up picking another D-man.
I would be completely fine with Ekblad or Hadyn Fleury if we do draft another d-man. They are the only top-10 worthy d-men in the draft.

Ekblad is Ekblad. Fleury looks like a taller and lankier CdH from the little that I saw in the prospects game. 6'3 and skates very well. I'll take that too.

Closed Thread