HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pens at Wings

Closed Thread

Old
09-25-2013, 09:56 PM
penguins2946*

vCash: 500
What I'm guessing the lineup will be for game 1:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Jokinen-Malkin-Neal
Bennett-Sutter-D'Agostini
Kobasew-Jeffery-Adams
Glass-Vitale

Orpik-Martin
Scuderi-Letang
Bortuzzo-Niskanen
Engelland

Actually, I'm semi-okay with that. I'd rather have Despres in Nisky's spot, but maybe playing 25+ minutes a game in WBS might benefit him. I can guarantee that Niskanen will be moved eventually, and I think that Despres knows that. Best case scenario is he goes to WBS, develops further and zahedan Niskanen is traded, he jumps in and cements the #5 spot as a better D than he is now. Worst case scenario is that he gets pissed for being sent down, demands a trade and we lose him for scraps.

Old
09-25-2013, 09:56 PM
vabm8
Injured Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
My fear right now is not signing Kobasew and a lineup consisting of:

K-C-D
Jokinen-Malkin-Neal
Glass-Sutter-Bennett
Jeffrey-Vitale-Adams

me off the ledge everyone!
Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Jokinen-Malkin-Neal
Jeffrey-Sutter-Bennett
Glass-Vitale-Adams

Does that help at all?

That gif is oddly hypnotizing.

Bortuzzo impressed, Niskanen really didn't.
Jokinen earned that second line spot.
Bennett looked really good and should be on the first line but he won't be.
Scuderi really insulates Letang.
Glass is comically bad and Adams is beyond done, yet still better than Glass.
Kobasew should be signed.
Fleury made me laugh... which doesn't actually bode well.
The team is gearing up, aka stopped being lazy because ****'s about to get serious.

Old
09-25-2013, 10:04 PM
66-30-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
My fear right now is not signing Kobasew and a lineup consisting of:

K-C-D
Jokinen-Malkin-Neal
Glass-Sutter-Bennett
Jeffrey-Vitale-Adams

me off the ledge everyone!
BB to WBS for cap penny pinching along with Despres.

Glass-Sutter-D'Agostini
Jeffrey-Vitale-Adams

Old
09-25-2013, 10:04 PM
MonsterSurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmError29 View Post
What I'm guessing the lineup will be for game 1:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Jokinen-Malkin-Neal
Bennett-Sutter-D'Agostini
Kobasew-Jeffery-Adams
Glass-Vitale

Orpik-Martin
Scuderi-Letang
Bortuzzo-Niskanen
Engelland

Actually, I'm semi-okay with that. I'd rather have Despres in Nisky's spot, but maybe playing 25+ minutes a game in WBS might benefit him. I can guarantee that Niskanen will be moved eventually, and I think that Despres knows that. Best case scenario is he goes to WBS, develops further and zahedan Niskanen is traded, he jumps in and cements the #5 spot as a better D than he is now. Worst case scenario is that he gets pissed for being sent down, demands a trade and we lose him for scraps.
What a soff lineup.

Old
09-25-2013, 10:08 PM
penguins2946*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post
What a soff lineup.
Pens don't have anyone that would make it tougher other than Scrabbles.

Old
09-25-2013, 10:15 PM
Your Boy Troy

Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Jokinen - Malkin - Neal
Bennett - Sutter - Vitale
Sill/Jeffrey/PL3 - Jeffrey/Sill - Adams

Get rid of Glass, sign PL3 to an NHL deal.

Old
09-25-2013, 10:23 PM
HMPens

Did anyone notice Letang blocking a shot during the last PK? It looked like it either hit the back of his hand or wrist. He did take a shift after, but I hope it doesn't end up being a broken bone from blocking a shot. The showed him in discomfort on the bench.

Old
09-25-2013, 10:31 PM
vabm8
Injured Reserve

It could be:
Kunitz - Crosby - Bennett
Jokinen - Malkin - Neal
Kobasew - Sutter - Dupuis
Sill - Vitale - Zolnierczyk/Jeffrey
Zolnierczyk/Jeffrey/Adams

Letang - Scuderi
Martin - Orpik
Bortuzzo - Despres
Maatta/Engelland

But instead, it will be something like this:
Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Jokinen - Malkin - Neal
Bennett - Sutter - Kobasew/D'Agostini(sometimes Glass)
Glass - Vitale/Jeffrey - Adams
Jeffrey/Vitale

Letang - Scuderi
Martin - Orpik
Bortuzzo - Niskanen
Engelland

There's going to be a lot of not getting to their game and then really not getting to their game against real playoff teams in the postseason. Bylsma will take no blame for being the idiot that caused the problem.

And now that gif is on a new page.

Old
09-25-2013, 10:53 PM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

Had to prepare for a meeting alongside watching the game and missed most of the third period having the actual meeting.

As far as the game, well... we looked better with pretty much the full team there, no surprises. We looked a lot better than the Wings who decidedly did not have a full team, no surprises on that one either.

However, can we just say that roster decisions ought to be absolutely obvious?

Glass should be waived on the off chance that someone picks him up, and otherwise we must eat that little cap penalty. He hurts too much to have in the lineup.
Adams got a two year extension and at most it should have been one. Wheels are falling off.
Kobasew makes sense on this team, anything below a million and it is a good signing.

I like everyone else who took part for roster spots, but of course with Niskanen there is the aber dabei that he is certainly a good nr.5, but it just doesn't make sense to keep him with who we have coming up and his caphit. If it hasn't happened now, it likely won't prior to the season, so Despres starts in the AHL even if I hate it, and then we must take the first D-injury crisis elsewhere as a selling opportunity, where we can solve someones emergency while getting a pick and some cap-space.

NB: There's this app. 900k limit as to buried players.... how does it work when you want to waive several players? Is it 900k total or a per player consideration? To my mind we should be cutting Glass and D'Agostini. No point suggesting Adams as that is impossible, and in any case he has off ice value I think, so I can live with that.

Best team we can ice with the above in mind:

Kunitz Crosby Bennett
Jokinen Malkin Neal
Dupuis Sutter Kobasew
Jeffrey Vitale Sill/Harry/Adams

Scuderi Letang
Brooks Martin
Nisky Bortuzzo
Engo

Fleury
Zatkoff

With Vokoun on IR and Despres in the minors... there is no cap issue there for the short term. Then when Nisky can get traded and Despres promoted, Vokoun can come back. All we really need then is to deal a bottom 6 forward (most likely Jeffrey) and whatever assets are needed for a good/above average physical forward with size and mobility who can play up and down the lineup.

The top 6 is good enough that it should be able to play up to anyone, that third line should be a highly responsible line ES - with some secondary scoring punch, and we have to make the 4th line a bit of a nightmare. Preferably for the opposition rather than for us as is currently the case.

Final observation, if the D isn't very good this season, it is all about the coaching staff and system we play. From a personnel point of view it has EVERYTHING other than than a natural PP QB, and as nice as having such is, we OUGHT to need it less than others with Geno, Sid, Bennett and Letang there.

Of course.... all of the above will prove for naught when Glass and Adams prove to actually be permanent fixtures on that 4th line, and we end up waiving Jeffrey or 'gulp' Vitale to make room for D'Agostini also.

Old
09-25-2013, 11:02 PM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post

NB: There's this app. 900k limit as to buried players.... how does it work when you want to waive several players? Is it 900k total or a per player consideration? To my mind we should be cutting Glass and D'Agostini. No point suggesting Adams as that is impossible, and in any case he has off ice value I think, so I can live with that.
Any player who makes more than 900k. So, no penalty to demote D'ags but 175k to demote Glass. At least that's how it works on CapGeek.

Old
09-25-2013, 11:18 PM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post
Any player who makes more than 900k. So, no penalty to demote D'ags but 175k to demote Glass. At least that's how it works on CapGeek.
Ah, that is good then. Thanks.

Old
09-25-2013, 11:26 PM
Zen Arcade
Seen Spaling?

I'd like to see Sill make the team, not only to make the 4th line harder to play against, but to add someone that's strong on face offs to the PK.

Old
09-25-2013, 11:48 PM
MeticulouslyDishevel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
FU Jiggy. i hate that gif.
That gif is going to give me nightmares tonight.

Old
09-26-2013, 01:34 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeticulouslyDishevel View Post
That gif is going to give me nightmares tonight.
Me too.

Old
09-26-2013, 03:15 AM
wheelz87
B2B Predictor Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
I'd like to see Sill make the team, not only to make the 4th line harder to play against, but to add someone that's strong on face offs to the PK.
LOL. Maybe in 5 years when Adams retires, that is after Adams is re-signed for a few years after his current contract ends.

(I would like to see it too, I also want BB with Sid..but hell if we don't appease the vets..)

Old
09-26-2013, 03:24 AM
Honour Over Glory

We're still on this Sill thing? He's probably never getting a chance unless he out plays the guys Shero keeps bringing in for AHL depth and call-ups with NHL experience.

Old
09-26-2013, 04:33 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Jiggy, what the hell man?

Old
09-26-2013, 06:46 AM
Bennett Brauer

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis is such a solid line, they have great chemistry, you can't replace that.

Fleury looked sharp, other than that one mishap he had a good game (and that one mishap isn't even that big since it's preseason)

Bortuzzo looks like he improved, he still has a lot to learn, so hopefully our veteran defensemen along with Jacques Martin can help him become a better defenseman.

Niskanen has looked good in the preseason, I don't know how we can keep him though.

Tanner Glass should be moved in favor of Kobasew.

I wouldn't call the Pens soft, they don't have as much grit like they did in recent years, but they still have guys who can hit and be gritty. Kunitz, Dupuis, Neal, Bennett, Sutter, Vitale, Adams, Orpik, Scuderi, Letang and Bortuzzo. Crosby and Malkin are also physical players.

Old
09-26-2013, 06:59 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
Jiggy, what the hell man?
I'm thinking of making that my new avatar when Glass makes the final roster, so everyone can suffer the same mental anguish as me.

Old
09-26-2013, 07:22 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandshakeLine View Post
People really think this is creepy? Man, you guys sure have gotten soft lately.

You poor dears.
It's only ice cream. Everyone loves ice cream.

Old
09-26-2013, 07:27 AM
froods
Think positive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis is such a solid line, they have great chemistry, you can't replace that.

Fleury looked sharp, other than that one mishap he had a good game (and that one mishap isn't even that big since it's preseason)

Bortuzzo looks like he improved, he still has a lot to learn, so hopefully our veteran defensemen along with Jacques Martin can help him become a better defenseman.

Niskanen has looked good in the preseason, I don't know how we can keep him though.

Tanner Glass should be moved in favor of Kobasew.

I wouldn't call the Pens soft, they don't have as much grit like they did in recent years, but they still have guys who can hit and be gritty. Kunitz, Dupuis, Neal, Bennett, Sutter, Vitale, Adams, Orpik, Scuderi, Letang and Bortuzzo. Crosby and Malkin are also physical players.
Very good post. This is very sensible. The KCD hate is absurd. The line has never failed, it has been a system smothered or mental breakdowns.

I agree that Borts looks much improved and yes, I would play him over Simon.

It is not that Jokinen is a better fit than Bennett, it is the fact that Jokinen will be a much more effective player on Malkins line. Bennett will have a similar effect on either line.

As for the Adams/Glass hate. #1 it is the 4th line folks. #2 Craig Adams still plays a very important role on this team. #3 Yes Glass was bad last year, but has been effective in the past. I willing to give the guy a shot, but with a very short rope.

Old
09-26-2013, 07:29 AM
HandshakeLine
Completely bias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
I know.

Old
09-26-2013, 07:39 AM
vabm8
Injured Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
It's ice cream?

Old
09-26-2013, 07:41 AM
cygnus47

Quote:
Originally Posted by froods View Post
Very good post. This is very sensible. The KCD hate is absurd. The line has never failed, it has been a system smothered or mental breakdowns.

I agree that Borts looks much improved and yes, I would play him over Simon.

It is not that Jokinen is a better fit than Bennett, it is the fact that Jokinen will be a much more effective player on Malkins line. Bennett will have a similar effect on either line.

As for the Adams/Glass hate. #1 it is the 4th line folks. #2 Craig Adams still plays a very important role on this team. #3 Yes Glass was bad last year, but has been effective in the past. I willing to give the guy a shot, but with a very short rope.
After 48 games last year, there was never a single time where I thought "I'm glad we have Glass and not literally anyone else". He's not in a slump, he's an ineffective player. He isn't giving any defenders pause on the forecheck, he's not grinding anyone down, he's an average PKer (of which we have a multitude in reserve), he's a bad fighter and doesn't make anyone pay for taking cheap shots at Crosby or Malkin, he is also the worst puck possessor this team has seen since I started watching them.

I'm sure Glass is a very nice guy, and clearly Bylsma sees something in him (perhaps a little of himself), but he has to be in the bottom 15 players in the league, we have some younger and/or better energy/faceoff/defensive/grinder guys knocking on the door and we need the cap space.

Old
09-26-2013, 07:44 AM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by froods View Post
Uh, what?

Closed Thread