HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Buffalo Sabres can fast track youngsters this season

Old
09-26-2013, 04:09 PM
HometownHockey

vCash: 500

http://www.hometownhockey.ca/hockey/HH0195.php

HometownHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 05:03 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Not bad.

This:

Quote:
While many fans will likely go on about suffering, Ryan Miller not being traded and the general woebegone attitude that accompanies a team that may not see the postseason, the Sabres should actually be pretty fun to watch.
Far from true. Any knowledgeable fan (most on here) won't "go on about suffering"... Embrace the rebuild

And this:

Quote:
While Ristolainen isn’t likely to play over 20 minutes on a nightly basis, he’s likely going to have a role on the roster and there’s no reason to think that role will increase as the season progresses.
No reason to think that role "won't" increase ... More seasoning, more responsibility, so long as he can handle it. Same here:

Quote:
Regardless, there is likely to be at least three of Buffalo’s top prospects taking the ice this season and there’s no reason to think that number could be as high as five depending on the roster Ron Rolston wishes to ice.
Hopefully you're welcoming to constructive criticism. I am a supporter of young writers, and encourage you to keep at it.

jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 05:23 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Not bad.

This:

Far from true. Any knowledgeable fan (most on here) won't "go on about suffering"... Embrace the rebuild

And this:

No reason to think that role "won't" increase ... More seasoning, more responsibility, so long as he can handle it. Same here:

Hopefully you're welcoming to constructive criticism. I am a supporter of young writers, and encourage you to keep at it.
Not sure how much his role would increase with Myers and Pysyk ahead of him on the right side.

EDIT: To the OP, nice job with the article.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 05:36 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Not sure how much his role would increase with Myers and Pysyk ahead of him on the right side.

I could see two ways:
#1 Assuming he starts out on the 2nd PP unit, he could reasonably find himself on the 1st unit.
#2 He (or his pairing) could reasonably overtake Pysyk/his pairing

More likely is that if he plays well, the bottom two pairings might get similar minutes. If Myers keeps playing like he is then his pairing will get big minutes.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 05:51 PM
cardiffgiant
Dont call him Beavis

Nice assessment. The analysis was current and insightful. I can't remember being excited abut the opportunity to see so many talented prospects at once.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 05:52 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:

I've seen more from him on the PP so far than I did from either of those two to date, believe it or not.

Decision making, puck handling (and not over handling), realizing when to shoot versus when to pass up the shot, realizing when there's a killer in his shooting lane, cutting the ice in half and not being on the other side of the ice when he's the weak side dman on the PP, etc.

He also minimizes those one or two extra stickhandles... Known to coaches as the difference between an open lane and having a PKer have that extra nanosecond to fill your shooting or passing lane, etc.

Granted it is a small sample size, but if he continues to grow, power play is an area I would expect to see an increase in his role.

Edit: also think wayyyyyyy too much is being put into the righty:lefty notion. Even strength, okay, but PP? Give me my best or most capable guys, even if it is two righties.

Old
09-26-2013, 06:46 PM
Old Navy Goat

Having 2 similar handed shots on the point for a PP makes for more effective puck retrieval along one wall while opening the other for the one-timer. I can easily see a PP unit of Risto and Psysck as neither Tallinder nor Weber can be confused as viable options back there.

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 07:42 PM
SabreOil

Good read. Do you guys think girgensons is making the team? I haven't been able to watch any of the pre-season games, except for 1 that was on cbc. Does he look ready?

SabreOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 07:46 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreOil View Post
Good read. Do you guys think girgensons is making the team? I haven't been able to watch any of the pre-season games, except for 1 that was on cbc. Does he look ready?
He could play but I don't think it's what's best right now.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 08:51 PM
joshjull

Quote:
I've seen more from him on the PP so far than I did from either of those two to date, believe it or not.

Decision making, puck handling (and not over handling), realizing when to shoot versus when to pass up the shot, realizing when there's a killer in his shooting lane, cutting the ice in half and not being on the other side of the ice when he's the weak side dman on the PP, etc.

He also minimizes those one or two extra stickhandles... Known to coaches as the difference between an open lane and having a PKer have that extra nanosecond to fill your shooting or passing lane, etc.

Granted it is a small sample size, but if he continues to grow, power play is an area I would expect to see an increase in his role.

Edit: also think wayyyyyyy too much is being put into the righty:lefty notion. Even strength, okay, but PP? Give me my best or most capable guys, even if it is two righties.
Its from Rolston not me.

Old
09-26-2013, 09:26 PM
SamuraiArt
Balso Par Big John S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
He could play but I don't think it's what's best right now.
Agreed with the caveat that it might be better for Grigorenko. Zemgus could probably use some top line AHL minutes versus 4th line duties. But, I'd like to see him on a third line with Grigorenko while Larsson centers the second.

SamuraiArt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 02:07 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Its from Rolston not me.
He simply said it is his preference. I don't take that to mean it will happen at any and all costs. We know it doesn't work like that.

Old
09-27-2013, 09:26 AM
joshjull

Quote:
He simply said it is his preference. I don't take that to mean it will happen at any and all costs.
Its been more than that and he's talked about it since the tail end of last year. As have Devine and to a lesser extent Regier. Rolston/Devine's focus on it borders on obsession IMO and I've commented on it in that vein since last year. But in the last month I just accepted it as his way (and Devine's) and assume others understand this thinking.

I would hope it doesn't happen at any all costs.

Old
09-27-2013, 10:27 AM
Jim Bob
....Rebooting....

Quote:
Its from Rolston not me.
I remember him talking about D pairs, but that usually has an ES bias towards it.

Did he really talk about PP, too?

Jim Bob is offline   Reply With Quote