HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Roller Hockey/Ice Hockey

Old
09-25-2013, 09:18 PM
Terry Yake

vCash: 500
Roller Hockey/Ice Hockey

So a few weeks ago i subbed for a buddy of mine's roller hockey team. I've been playing in an adult league (ice hockey) for the past year or so and it was my first time playing roller hockey in almost a year i'd say.

As expected I was super rusty on the blades and it felt very weird but after warmups and a few falls I was all good to go (still can't stop though). I didn't play at all again until my next league game this past weekend and right when I hit the ice, I almost fell right on my face. It seriously felt like I hadn't ice skated in years. I even fell down during warmups while I was doing my forwards-backwards transitions lol

Has anyone else had this problem after playing roller hockey? I'd like to continue playing roller as well as ice but if this is what's going to happen everytime I'd rather just not play roller hockey anymore.

Terry Yake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 09:48 PM
Laodongxi

vCash: 2590
Yes! It's very embarrassing. Feels like you need to learn to skate all over again.

I played some fairly high level roller hockey many years ago for the entire summer. When I tried to suit up for the ice in the fall I could barely skate. Extremely weird experience. It took me a good two or three times out to get back into it.

I've heard that the more you transition back and forth the easier it gets. But roller to ice is something else the first time around!

Laodongxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 07:33 AM
LarryO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laodongxi View Post
Yes! It's very embarrassing. Feels like you need to learn to skate all over again.

I played some fairly high level roller hockey many years ago for the entire summer. When I tried to suit up for the ice in the fall I could barely skate. Extremely weird experience. It took me a good two or three times out to get back into it.

I've heard that the more you transition back and forth the easier it gets. But roller to ice is something else the first time around!
That's correct. This summer, I started mixing the two for the first time. I played roller once a week and on ice once or twice a week and the transition becomes easier when you do it regularly.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 11:03 AM
Sureshotte
Thumbs up, soldier!

The main issue for me when switching between roller/ice is that my roller wheels are flush, but ice skate blades are curved/rockered. So I always feel a little more unstable initially when switching from roller to ice.

Sureshotte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 04:52 PM
BearFlag

I have the opposite issue in that I feel that it is much more difficult to transition to roller from ice.

Iím not a good ice hockey player to begin with but I feel like I can stop easily whenever I want to. This gives me confidence to skate harder on ice. I just started roller this summer and still canít stop, which makes me hold back on skating fast. When you start out on ice you learn a snow plow stop and then ease into a hockey stop, but in roller is seems like itís all or nothing. There is no beginnerís stop, which make it harder for me.

Additionally I canít transition as well on roller from forward to backward because again it seems like you need have perfect form to pull it off, whereas on ice even if you donít use a 100% accurate technique for transitioning, the ice lets you slide correctly the rest of the way if you know what I mean.

Anyone else find it hard to transition to roller?

BearFlag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 05:46 PM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
I am predominantly a roller hockey player, and while I wouldn't say I'm great it seems I'm having an easier time than most of you. It's very different than ice, and it obviously starts with skating. I have a roller hockey stride, so on ice I am a bit slower than roller actually. It's very difficult to stop in roller but the best move is to take a really sharp turn when you are wanting to stop. You won't stop 100% but it slows you down and gets you heading in the right direction. Forwards to backwards is also more difficult. It takes a ton of practice but it really is (for me) a sharp turn than moving your hips so you can skate backwards, which is almost like doing so on ice.

Don't quit on it and keep practicing. Roller hockey is really fast but it's just as fun. Oh and don't be a goalie. It sucks not being able to slide post to post.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 06:09 PM
Terry Yake

thanks for the tips guys

i'm just going to try and balance both out equally in hopes that playing roller won't effect my ice skating. my only issue with roller is that i've never been able to master the stops. i can stop perfectly fine on ice but roller is a whole different story. while i found backwards-forwards transitions to be easy on blades, stopping has definitely not come that easy. just got to keep on practicing

Terry Yake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 08:08 PM
LarryO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearFlag View Post
I have the opposite issue in that I feel that it is much more difficult to transition to roller from ice.

Iím not a good ice hockey player to begin with but I feel like I can stop easily whenever I want to. This gives me confidence to skate harder on ice. I just started roller this summer and still canít stop, which makes me hold back on skating fast. When you start out on ice you learn a snow plow stop and then ease into a hockey stop, but in roller is seems like itís all or nothing. There is no beginnerís stop, which make it harder for me.

Additionally I canít transition as well on roller from forward to backward because again it seems like you need have perfect form to pull it off, whereas on ice even if you donít use a 100% accurate technique for transitioning, the ice lets you slide correctly the rest of the way if you know what I mean.

Anyone else find it hard to transition to roller?
Since forward to backward transition requires more precision on roller, your ice technique will benefit from practicing it on roller. That's one by-product of roller hockey that I didn't anticipate when I started playing it after years of ice hockey.

Old
09-26-2013, 08:25 PM
LarryO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
I am predominantly a roller hockey player, and while I wouldn't say I'm great it seems I'm having an easier time than most of you. It's very different than ice, and it obviously starts with skating. I have a roller hockey stride, so on ice I am a bit slower than roller actually. It's very difficult to stop in roller but the best move is to take a really sharp turn when you are wanting to stop. You won't stop 100% but it slows you down and gets you heading in the right direction. Forwards to backwards is also more difficult. It takes a ton of practice but it really is (for me) a sharp turn than moving your hips so you can skate backwards, which is almost like doing so on ice.

Don't quit on it and keep practicing. Roller hockey is really fast but it's just as fun. Oh and don't be a goalie. It sucks not being able to slide post to post.
That reminds me of something in Laura Stamm's Power Skating book. She writes that while training in Rollerblades will work the right muscles and are good for endurance training, "Because of their weight, Rollerblades are not recommended for quickness training." So that's one thing to consider if your priority is ice hockey.

Old
09-28-2013, 11:39 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Yake View Post
So a few weeks ago i subbed for a buddy of mine's roller hockey team. I've been playing in an adult league (ice hockey) for the past year or so and it was my first time playing roller hockey in almost a year i'd say.

As expected I was super rusty on the blades and it felt very weird but after warmups and a few falls I was all good to go (still can't stop though). I didn't play at all again until my next league game this past weekend and right when I hit the ice, I almost fell right on my face. It seriously felt like I hadn't ice skated in years. I even fell down during warmups while I was doing my forwards-backwards transitions lol

Has anyone else had this problem after playing roller hockey? I'd like to continue playing roller as well as ice but if this is what's going to happen everytime I'd rather just not play roller hockey anymore.
I used to play roller and ice on the same days years back and had no problems with the transition. I used to rocker my rollerblades so the profile was as close to my ice skates as possible.

If I tried to skate on normal rollerblades that aren't rockered, even to this day, I can't move in them. (And I've been skating for over twenty years). I don't know how people can skate with all four wheels touching... the drag and friction make it impossible to stride correctly, kick out, edge, turn, etc. That's why people probably get that choppy roller hockey stride.

Rockered rollerblades make it so much easier to skate if you are used to ice skates, trust me.

Last edited by Mr Jiggyfly: 09-28-2013 at 11:49 PM.
Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 12:19 AM
Puckstop40
Registered Avs Fan

I have had that same problem many times. It is a very weird feeling. I honestly think it's because of how different the playing surfaces are.

Puckstop40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 02:24 AM
izzy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
I used to rocker my rollerblades so the profile was as close to my ice skates as possible.
IMHO that is the key. This season I played a summer league on ice and played in a roller pickup every week, and had no problems transitioning. Also as some said, the more you do it the easier it gets, and it was my second summer like that, but actually the rocker helps the most, and as Jiggy says it lets you skate the right way.

As for the transitions on roller, well it does help you improve your transitions, so when you get back on the ice you'll lose less speed sliding sideways on your edges.

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 02:43 AM
Drrocket9

Rockering the roller skates does help. I used 76-78 in the middle and 72 front and back. There is still a weird feeling when you go back on the ice for the first few steps after skating on wheels for a few games. You lose a bit of the feel of the sharpness of turning on ice skates.

Drrocket9 is offline   Reply With Quote