HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Any updates on NHL's deal with Canadian TV networks?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-14-2013, 12:12 AM
  #51
Riptide
Moderator
 
Riptide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Yukon
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
Any word on whether or not CBC will lose its exclusivity to show games in Canada on Saturdays?

My brother lives in Calgary and has NHL Centre Ice.

On Saturday, November 2, the Jets played the Hawks on HNIC.

The game was shown locally in Winnipeg, but, it was blocked on NHL Centre Ice.

The only way my brother could watch the game was to go to the CBC website.

He called Shaw Cable and was told it was a rights issue with CBC.
One of the things that royally pisses me off with Center Ice is that if the game is shown on some channels, CI doesn't broadcast it. I miss a bunch of Pens games due to this, as they'll be playing Philly or NYR and I either have to watch it in French on RDS (thank God I under stand some French), or I miss it entirely as CI won't show the Roots (local) feed.

__________________
"Itís not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, itís as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Riptide is offline  
Old
11-14-2013, 12:31 AM
  #52
FakeKidPoker*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
I wonder how a Sunday night game would play against SNF, especially being the third national game... seems like a crappy slot for Sportsnet.
Not really.

NFL draws flys for ratings up here.. a national nhl game would destroy it.

Only thing in NFL that draws decent TV ratings is the Super Bowl Hype.


Last edited by Fugu: 11-14-2013 at 11:23 AM. Reason: removed OT, qdp
FakeKidPoker* is offline  
Old
11-14-2013, 02:17 AM
  #53
Trizent
Registered User
 
Trizent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oil Country
Posts: 1,720
vCash: 500
Sunday night has more tv viewers than Wednesdays (Thursdays and Sundays have the most people watching tv of any sort). All things being equal Sunday games should outdraw Wednesday games.

TV ratings: http://canadiansportsfan.wordpress.c...-have-ratings/

Trizent is offline  
Old
11-14-2013, 08:15 AM
  #54
saffronleaf
Registered User
 
saffronleaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country:
Posts: 3,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandR View Post
I think the key question is whether expanding to another Canadian city would add a significant number of extra hockey fans to the national TV audience or if it would do little for national TV numbers and instead cannibalize an existing regional market.

I wonder if anyone knows of any stats showing if the addition of the Jets caused any significant increase in HNIC or TSN's national audience numbers or allowed CBC or TSN to get more advertising dollars (aside from TSN Jets regional coverage).

BTW, I think that is unlike the U.S., where I believe expanding to Seattle would create a lot of new hockey fans in the Northwest U.S. for NBC and NBC Sports.
1. I think a team in Seattle is important.

2. There is at least two obvious ways in which another Canadian team would benefit TV networks. The obvious way is that having more Canadian teams would increase the probability of a Canadian team going further into the playoffs. The playoffs draw decently even without Canadian teams in Canada, but the boost would be very significant. The second way is that more of the national TV games can feature TWO Canadian teams as opposed to one Canadian team and one US team.

3. Development of new fans. It's a total myth that Canada is 'maxed out' in terms of hockey's popularity. Ratings show that Canadian TV ratings are increasing. There is room for improvement. New fans are often developed in the same way they are in the US -- attending games! The live experience is often what makes lifelong fans of newcomers. No one can afford to attend games in Toronto and Montreal. Folks in Quebec City have to travel for hours and then pay insane prices -- that's just not going to happen often.

4. Quebec City is unique in that it would draw from all of Quebec. When the team existed, the dynamic was always Montreal vs. the rest of Quebec and much of the Maritime.

5. It would be an immense boon for RDS, which thereby benefits TSN/Bell.

I'd like to see Seattle - Quebec City, Portland - Toronto2, Salt Lake City - Hamilton; pairs of expansions with perhaps 10-15 years in between them.


Last edited by saffronleaf: 11-14-2013 at 08:25 AM.
saffronleaf is offline  
Old
11-14-2013, 03:23 PM
  #55
Brodie
watcher on the walls
 
Brodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 12,091
vCash: 500
I don't know if a third choice game... Columbus vs. Carolina, Phoenix vs Anaheim, etc... is actually going to do world-beating business.

Brodie is offline  
Old
11-14-2013, 04:54 PM
  #56
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor
 
rojac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Waterloo, ON
Posts: 6,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
I don't know if a third choice game... Columbus vs. Carolina, Phoenix vs Anaheim, etc... is actually going to do world-beating business.
Are you referring to the Sunday night package? Because I'm pretty sure the idea is that games with Canadian teams would be specifically scheduled on Sunday night for this package.

rojac is offline  
Old
11-14-2013, 08:19 PM
  #57
Brodie
watcher on the walls
 
Brodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 12,091
vCash: 500
so SportsNet would jump in with a significantly better package than TSN? That sounds dubious.

Brodie is offline  
Old
11-18-2013, 04:34 PM
  #58
RandR
Registered User
 
RandR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,025
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
I wonder how a Sunday night game would play against SNF, especially being the third national game... seems like a crappy slot for Sportsnet.
Although TSN often shows a Monday night game (such as tonight) and that is up against Monday Night Football, which I would assume has bigger ratings than the Sunday night game.

So I don't think Sunday night is a bad slot.

And weekly NFL games on Sunday and Monday nights only runs until end of December, leaving more than 3 months of the hockey season not having to compete against NFL football night games other than the Super Bowl itself.

RandR is offline  
Old
11-18-2013, 09:51 PM
  #59
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User
 
jkrdevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 30,347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
so SportsNet would jump in with a significantly better package than TSN? That sounds dubious.
I am guess the Sunday night lackage will be of similar quality to TSN's Wednesday Night schedule, except for maybe not having a double header.

CBC likely won't get as many Saturday games. One would assume some of those regional HNIC games get shifted to the Sunday Night Sportsnet game.

jkrdevil is offline  
Old
11-19-2013, 07:58 AM
  #60
Stats01
Registered User
 
Stats01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,922
vCash: 500
People need to get this myth out of their minds that the NFL is the king of ratings. The NFL draws less people than the CFL does..If SN got a national game on Sunday nights, the ratings would be huge. The NFL is big in the U.S and yes it's also big here too, but not even close to as big as most people make it out to be.

The East Final in the CFL between Toronto and Hamilton averaged almost 2 million viewers. The game peaked close to 4 million! I dare anyone to compare those numbers to any NFL game that was played on Sunday. INEC!


Last edited by Stats01: 11-19-2013 at 08:03 AM.
Stats01 is offline  
Old
11-19-2013, 07:59 AM
  #61
Stats01
Registered User
 
Stats01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
I don't know if a third choice game... Columbus vs. Carolina, Phoenix vs Anaheim, etc... is actually going to do world-beating business.
I'd assume if SN was going to do a national game on Sundays that a Canadian team would be involved.


Last edited by Stats01: 11-19-2013 at 08:05 AM.
Stats01 is offline  
Old
11-19-2013, 09:36 AM
  #62
powerstuck
User Registered
 
powerstuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
One of the things that royally pisses me off with Center Ice is that if the game is shown on some channels, CI doesn't broadcast it. I miss a bunch of Pens games due to this, as they'll be playing Philly or NYR and I either have to watch it in French on RDS (thank God I under stand some French), or I miss it entirely as CI won't show the Roots (local) feed.
Speaking of...I've already seen a Hawks - Avs game blacked out on CI even tho no TSN, RDS, CBC, TVA Sport, ESPN, FOX, NBC, CBS...you name was showing it and available in my area.

powerstuck is offline  
Old
11-19-2013, 10:19 AM
  #63
viper0220
Go Jets Go
 
viper0220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,503
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
People need to get this myth out of their minds that the NFL is the king of ratings. The NFL draws less people than the CFL does..If SN got a national game on Sunday nights, the ratings would be huge. The NFL is big in the U.S and yes it's also big here too, but not even close to as big as most people make it out to be.

The East Final in the CFL between Toronto and Hamilton averaged almost 2 million viewers. The game peaked close to 4 million! I dare anyone to compare those numbers to any NFL game that was played on Sunday. INEC!
http://blogs.calgaryherald.com/2013/...l-and-beyonce/




Superbowl ratings in Canada, blows those ratings out of the water.

viper0220 is offline  
Old
11-19-2013, 10:51 AM
  #64
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor
 
rojac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Waterloo, ON
Posts: 6,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper0220 View Post
http://blogs.calgaryherald.com/2013/...l-and-beyonce/




Superbowl ratings in Canada, blows those ratings out of the water.
Right, but the Super Bowl wasn't played this past Sunday which is what the poster was talking about .

rojac is offline  
Old
11-19-2013, 12:58 PM
  #65
saskganesh
Registered User
 
saskganesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the Annex
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,044
vCash: 500
also: people like to look at Beyonce wearing leather.

saskganesh is offline  
Old
11-19-2013, 09:07 PM
  #66
viper0220
Go Jets Go
 
viper0220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,503
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
Right, but the Super Bowl wasn't played this past Sunday which is what the poster was talking about .



Did you even read the poster said? Or did you even read the article? He says "The NFL draws less people than the CFL does" which is false(if you read the article, it says how many people watched the NFL).

What the poster said "I dare anyone to compare those numbers to any NFL game that was played on Sunday". (The same in article between Baltimore Ravens and San Francisco 49ers was on Sunday).


From the article:
According to figures from CTV, Sundaysí championship tilt that saw the Baltimore Ravens hang on to defeat the San Francisco 49ers 34-31 attracted an average audience of 7.33 million viewers north of the border on CTV and RDS (CTV drew 6.6 million; RDS 763,000), according to preliminary overnight data from BBM Canada. That makes it the most-watched program of the broadcast year.

viper0220 is offline  
Old
11-20-2013, 12:37 AM
  #67
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor
 
rojac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Waterloo, ON
Posts: 6,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper0220 View Post
Did you even read the poster said? Or did you even read the article? He says "The NFL draws less people than the CFL does" which is false(if you read the article, it says how many people watched the NFL).

What the poster said "I dare anyone to compare those numbers to any NFL game that was played on Sunday". (The same in article between Baltimore Ravens and San Francisco 49ers was on Sunday).


From the article:
According to figures from CTV, Sundaysí championship tilt that saw the Baltimore Ravens hang on to defeat the San Francisco 49ers 34-31 attracted an average audience of 7.33 million viewers north of the border on CTV and RDS (CTV drew 6.6 million; RDS 763,000), according to preliminary overnight data from BBM Canada. That makes it the most-watched program of the broadcast year.
I'm pretty sure that he meant to compare the ratings for the CFL game on Sunday November 17, 2013 to any NFL game played on that same Sunday. The article you linked was about the Super Bowl which was played on February 3, 2013. I really don't think he meant to compare those to any NFL game played on any Sunday.

rojac is offline  
Old
11-20-2013, 12:43 AM
  #68
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Fugu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 29,110
vCash: 500
Going a bit off topic.

Let's start up a new thread when the media actually unearth something. Not even a teensy weensy leak right now.

Fugu is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.