HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can the Blues contend with their current centers? (mod)

Old
03-01-2014, 10:30 AM
RR10*

vCash: 500
Can the Blues contend with their current centers? (mod)

I'm a Blues fan but I realise you do not win the cup with these centers:

Alexander Steen - David Backes - TJ Oshie
Jaden Schwartz - Vladimir Sobotka - Vladimir Tarasenko
Patrik Berglund - Derek Roy - Steve Ott
Brenden Morrow - Maxim Lapierre - Ryan Reaves

Can you seriously imagine a team with centers like Backes, Sobotka, Ott/Roy and Lapierre winning the SC? I can't. There is no playmaking creativity at all in these guys. Sobotka, Ott and Lapierre could all be 4th liners. David Backes isn't the natural 1# center and lacks playmaking ability. What we have is one 2nd-line center (Backes) and four 3-4th-line centers (Sobotka, Berglund, Ott, Roy, Lapierre).

Depth is good but the team lacks a 1# center (Stastny isn't the typichal 1# center either but he would be a good fit) and another top 9 forward like Callahan to contend. Remember, this is my personal opinion and you don't have to agree with me.

An example of a team that could be a contender:

Ryan Miller

Jay Bouwmeester - Alex Pietrangelo
Ian Cole - Kevin Shattenkirk
New - Roman Polak

Alexander Steen - Paul Stastny - TJ Oshie
Jaden Schwartz - David Backes - Ryan Callahan
Steve Ott - Jori Lehterä - Vladimir Tarasenko
Magnus Pajaarvi - Vladimir Sobotka - Ryan Reaves

Hopefully something like this next year. Bye Berglund, Morrow, Roy.

RR10* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 10:34 AM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 130
So did Stillman win the Missouri Lottery and get some dirt on Bettman?

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 10:40 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Jori Lehtera That ship has sailed, and he's not any better offensively than Soby, and doesn't even compete with Soby defensively.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 10:44 AM
RR10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
So did Stillman win the Missouri Lottery and get some dirt on Bettman?
What? Roy $4,000,000, Berglund, $3,250,000, Morrow $1,500,000 would be gone. That's a waste of $8,750,000. Blues are not worse without these guys. We could get two elite forwards for that money. Lehterä would be cheap and he has some chemisty with Tarasenko.

Old
03-01-2014, 10:48 AM
Jzk

vCash: 1227
Lehtera was offered anywhere from 1 to 4 million on a one way contract last off season. He chose to stay in Russia. He won't be playing for the Blues ever.

And yes I agree the Blues aren't contenders without a good center and Tarasenko playing more than 17 minutes a game.

Jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 10:49 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR10 View Post
What? Roy $4,000,000, Berglund, $3,250,000, Morrow $1,500,000 would be gone. That's a waste of $8,750,000. Blues are not worse without these guys. We could get two elite forwards for that money. Lehterä would be cheap and he has some chemisty with Tarasenko.
What indication has he given that he wants to play for the Blues, though? He seems pretty content playing in the KHL. He's playing well, and probably making more than he would here. I don't see why he would want to come over. I don't even think he makes our team quite honestly. He's very slow, and if Hitch doesn't like Bergie, who's bigger, but just as slow, at center ice, then I don't know why he'd let Jori play center?

Last edited by MattyMo35: 03-01-2014 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old
03-01-2014, 10:50 AM
Alklha

vCash: 868
Quote:
Lehterä will not be cheap, and he has made his decision to pursue UFA when he comes to the NHL. He is signed in Novosibirsk through next season, and I don't believe he has an out in his contract.

And David Backes is a #1 centre. He might not be the prototypical idea of a #1 centre, but he is a better player than Paul Stastny and I've been leading the Stastny bandwagon for a long time now.

I'm not impressed with our centre depth, and I'm far from happy with the trade that went down last night... but we are legitimate contenders this season.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 10:51 AM
RR10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
Jori Lehtera That ship has sailed, and he's not any better offensively than Soby, and doesn't even compete with Soby defensively.
Lehterä is better offensively than Sobotka. He puts up more points and is more creative. You think Sobotka would be good for almost 1 ppg in KHL? Do you think a goal scorer like Tarasenko would be good fit with Ott and Sobotka? Come on! Who will get him the passes and help create scoring chances? I picked the guy because he and Vlad has been playing together and he is more of a playmaker than Sobotka is. Sobotka is an OK defensive third liner that could bring some offense, but you would want a playmaker with Tarasenko and not two gritty players like Ott and Sobi.

Old
03-01-2014, 10:51 AM
BlueBeard

I agree that the Blues desperately need an upgrade at center, I don't necessarily agree with guys like Lehtera being the ones to do it though.

Most likely there wasn't a trade out there and Armstrong probably has all his eggs in the hoping Stastny hits the market basket. Now if Kesler goes to another team in the west for a package of crap well it's pitchfork and torch time.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 10:54 AM
ExJbeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeard View Post
I agree that the Blues desperately need an upgrade at center, I don't necessarily agree with guys like Lehtera being the ones to do it though.

Most likely there wasn't a trade out there and Armstrong probably has all his eggs in the hoping Stastny hits the market basket. Now if Kesler goes to another team in the west for a package of crap well it's pitchfork and torch time.
If he goes to the Hawks I swear.....

ExJbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 10:55 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Lehterä is better offensively than Sobotka. He puts up more points and is more creative. You think Sobotka would be good for almost 1 ppg in KHL? Do you think a goal scorer like Tarasenko would be good fit with Ott and Sobotka? Come on! Who will get him the passes and help create scoring chances? I picked the guy because he and Vlad has been playing together and he is more of a playmaker than Sobotka is. Sobotka is an OK defensive third liner that could bring some offense, but you would want a playmaker with Tarasenko and not two gritty players like Ott and Sobi.
He puts up points in the KHL. Color me not impressed with that one bit. He can't skate. I can't emphasize that enough. It's masked in the KHL with the larger ice. In the offensive zone, he might be a slight upgrade on Soby. Everywhere else, he's a major downgrade. Again, he can't skate. Think Brendan Morrow in the 3rd period. That's about the level at which Jori skates at all times. At least Morrow has an excuse.

Old
03-01-2014, 10:57 AM
RR10*

Quote:
What indication has he given that he wants to play for the Blues, though? He seems pretty content playing in the KHL. He's playing well, and probably making more than he would here. I don't see why he would want to come over. I don't even think he makes our team quite honestly. He's very slow, and if Hitch doesn't like Bergie, who's bigger, but just as slow, at center ice, then I don't know why he'd let Jori play center?
Berglund is not a playmaker. Honestly I dont know what the **** he is. He is not a playmaker, not a goal scorer and definitely not a gritty type of player nor a power forward because he's not physical. Atleast Lehterä has playmaking ability and is more of a natural point scorer that we could use next to a guy like Frank. My point is that we need more creativity at center.

Old
03-01-2014, 10:58 AM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Quote:
Miller, Stastny, and Callahan would cost at a minimum $18 million in total. Lehtera would also require at least 2 million IMO to come over, that ship has sailed and I was the captain of it last summer.

Factor in raises to Schwartz and Sobotka. Then Tarasenko in the following year. Schwartz's and Tarasenko's bridge deals would also expire before Stastny's and Callahan's, thus screwing us over.

Old
03-01-2014, 10:59 AM
ExJbeck

Quote:
Berglund is not a playmaker. Honestly I dont know what the **** he is. He is not a playmaker, not a goal scorer and definitely not a gritty type of player nor a power forward because he's not physical. Atleast Lehterä has playmaking ability and is more of a natural point scorer that we could use next to a guy like Frank. My point is that we need more creativity at center.
and his point is Lethera is not your guy. It's like your going off one one game in the Olympics where you saw Lethera make a nice pass with Backes on him.

Old
BlueBeard

Quote:
Cheechoo has four less points than Lehtera in the KHL right now. Guys like Nigel Dawes, Marcel Hossa, and Bradon Bochenski are all outscoring Lehtera. Plus by the time Lehtera's contract is up with Sbir the Blues will no longer hold his rights. Well I take that back they might have a month to hope to sign him since the KHL season ends earlier than the NHL season. Not quite sure about that though.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Bergie's a 2-way third line center. That's what he is. He doesn't hurt you defensively, but he doesn't create much offensively either. I understand your point about needing creativity at center ice. I strongly disagree with the assessment that Jori Lehtera would make the Blues a better team.

Old
03-01-2014, 11:00 AM
Vladys Gumption
Global Moderator
Colt55

Quote:
Just stop already. Lehtera has played a grand total of 0 games at the NHL level. You can't possibly say with any certainty that he would be any better than Sobotka. Ott won't be anywhere near Tarasenko. When Sobotka comes back we'll almost certainly go back to the Schwartz-Sobotka-Tarasenko line.

Vladys Gumption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2014, 11:00 AM
RR10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
but we are legitimate contenders this season.
No we are not. I mentioned why in my first post. We can beat Colorado/Canucks/Minnesota but not Anaheim/LA/SJ/Chicago in 7 rounds.

Old
03-01-2014, 11:02 AM
ExJbeck

Quote:
No we are not. I mentioned why in my first post. We can beat Colorado/Canucks/Minnesota but not Anaheim/LA/SJ/Chicago in 7 rounds.
Come one, 7 rounds even if you mean 7 games you're not being realistic. And I'm one of the few people that have been 100% against acquiring Miller. How can you say we aren't contenders? lol

Old
03-01-2014, 11:06 AM
RR10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExJbeck View Post
and his point is Lethera is not your guy. It's like your going off one one game in the Olympics where you saw Lethera make a nice pass with Backes on him.
Lehterä was not the point of this discussion. I used him just as an example. I had Vlad on the third line and I think it would be a waste to use him with Ott and Sobotka cause of their lack of offensive talent.

Old
03-01-2014, 11:07 AM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Do you realize Tarasenko and Sobotka have played great together this season?

Old
03-01-2014, 11:09 AM
RR10*

Quote:
Bergie's a 2-way third line center. That's what he is. He doesn't hurt you defensively, but he doesn't create much offensively either. I understand your point about needing creativity at center ice. I strongly disagree with the assessment that Jori Lehtera would make the Blues a better team.
Berglund is lame and not worth his price. I think Lehterä would be alright. He did good in Sochi. I used him as an example of a playmaker, not saying we should get him.

Old
03-01-2014, 11:11 AM
RR10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 View Post
Just stop already. Lehtera has played a grand total of 0 games at the NHL level. You can't possibly say with any certainty that he would be any better than Sobotka. Ott won't be anywhere near Tarasenko. When Sobotka comes back we'll almost certainly go back to the Schwartz-Sobotka-Tarasenko line.
How will our third line look? Ott - Berglund - Jaskin? You think that second and third line are enough for a contender? No ****ing way! Schwartz and Tarasenko have not hit their prime yet and has much to learn.

Old
03-01-2014, 11:13 AM
RR10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExJbeck View Post
Come one, 7 rounds even if you mean 7 games you're not being realistic. And I'm one of the few people that have been 100% against acquiring Miller. How can you say we aren't contenders? lol
Because we are getting destroyed by the contending teams. We may have beat Boston two times in a shootout but we were badly outplayed both games. Same goes with Blackhawks. You can't rely on that in a 7 game series.

Old
03-01-2014, 11:17 AM
Vladys Gumption
Global Moderator
Colt55

Quote:
How will our third line look? Ott - Berglund - Jaskin? You think that second and third line are enough for a contender? No ****ing way! Schwartz and Tarasenko have not hit their prime yet and has much to learn.
Like it or not, Tarasenko and Schwartz are two thirds of our second line. End of story. They've been given increased responsibility this year and they've responded by playing excellent. I have no clue why you're worried about Tarasenko and Schwartz.

Last edited by EastonBlues22: 03-01-2014 at 11:57 PM.
Vladys Gumption is online now   Reply With Quote