HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Perron Watch Thread (Mod warning #341 copied to OP)

Old
10-06-2013, 07:53 AM
Vladys Gumption
Global Moderator
Colt55

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
I understand why we traded Perron, IMO we still got poor value for Perron. Comparing MPS to Eller really doesn't make sense as Eller showed more potential then MPS has thus far. Looking at just their stats as a comparison doesn't tell the whole story at all.

The hate for Perron in here is sad. Yes he's not on our team but no need to make things up about him to make him seem much worse.

If you want to say he wasn't a fit I can understand that. No need to say he was a "selfish player". Perron is not on our team I still am a fan of his and wish him the best in EDM except when they play us.

Perron is the vastly better player then MPS. A 2nd round pick could be anything. Amazingly looking at Armstrong's track record he seems to do better with 2nd round picks than 1sts.
It was time to move him. Management clearly decided that he wasn't a long term core guy. Which is fine. Where you and I disagree is the return. Given the circumstances, I don't think we could have gotten much more. Given that, I would still make the trade. Even if we didn't get much back, the most valuable piece of the trade is more ice time for Schwartz and Tarasenko. That's being undersold by some people I think. And I don't think there's been much hate directed towards Perron. Most of what I've seen is people saying that he's a highly skilled, but inconsistent forward who hadn't managed to put it all together. And that most people didn't think he would here. And that's certainly a reasonable assessment. I wish David well. I hope he lights it up in Edmonton because I love his ire and passion for the game. In the end I think it was just time to move on for both parties.

Vladys Gumption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 08:19 AM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 130
Oh but his potential.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 09:34 AM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#turtlemode

MPS was pretty close to a 20-20 season last year based on 82 games, if he scored a bit more, he just doesn't have much playing time ahead of him with this deep lineup.

Daley Tarasenkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 09:57 AM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daley Tarasenkshow View Post
MPS was pretty close to a 20-20 season last year based on 82 games, if he scored a bit more, he just doesn't have much playing time ahead of him with this deep lineup.

He's one injury away from starting.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 11:14 AM
bluesman11
Robert Johnson

vCash: 300
He would hold onto the puck way too long when he should have passed or gotten the puck deep. Another way to say it, he tried to do too much and he took bad penalties.

Now is he the only player to do these things, no. But he did them consistently and he didn't show much improvement in these areas.

Also, after the trade one of his initial comments were about how he thought he would put up more points in Edmonton.

You may think selfish is harsh, but there have been many selfish players that have the skill set to help their teams win. I just don't think he's one of those guys, he's good but he's not that good. Now he is young and he may get his role someday, but The Blues had to make a deal and he had to be the guy. I think they're a better team without him.

bluesman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 11:58 AM
Mike Liut

Needed to shed 3-4 million in salary and not sure who else they could have moved. Of the forwards making that type of money, it wasn't going to be Backes, Oshie, Steen or Stewart. It could have been Berglund, but moving a center would have opened another hole. Perron was the likely choice. I liked Perron, but I am fine with this move because it allowed them to others.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 03:12 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

It is stupid to talk about playoff performances concerning any of our players. Except for a small handful of players, everyone else was a disappointment. No point in arguing who was a bigger disappointment.

Old
10-06-2013, 03:23 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

This thread is about Perron. Let's keep it that way.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 03:40 PM
SteenMachine

It'll be interesting to see how Perron does when Edm center's get healthy, but that team is really one dimensional almost all the way down the depth chart so his success probably won't have any influence on where the team goes.

The weird thing is, if he finally breaks out for them he's still the most expendable top 6 player they have because Hemsky and Smyth will be gone and Yakupov will get some undeserved raise to $5M+ during Perron's final contract year. If their young studs keep moving forward he's still likely to get moved again for a team need or to spread out the salary to D and goalies.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 05:01 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteenMachine View Post
It'll be interesting to see how Perron does when Edm center's get healthy, but that team is really one dimensional almost all the way down the depth chart so his success probably won't have any influence on where the team goes.

The weird thing is, if he finally breaks out for them he's still the most expendable top 6 player they have because Hemsky and Smyth will be gone and Yakupov will get some undeserved raise to $5M+ during Perron's final contract year. If their young studs keep moving forward he's still likely to get moved again for a team need or to spread out the salary to D and goalies.
Perron wasn't really a need for EDM exactly. They gave up a bottom 6 forward and a 2nd round pick for a young top 6 forward. To me if you are a GM and you can get young top 6 talent for bottom 6 talent and a 2nd you make that trade every time. Also IMO this seems to be one of the weaker drafts in years so the 2nd may have less value then previous drafts.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 10:59 PM
danglzzz

57 with his first of the year as the Devils are imploding.

danglzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 11:18 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by danglzzz View Post
57 with his first of the year as the Devils are imploding.
He was great tonight. He and RNH really sparked the Oilers comeback. Devlis tied it up late on a goofy bounce, though. Going to a shootout as I type this.

EDIT: Edmonton wins the shootout. Eberle and Perron did the exact same move and both scored I mean, literally exact same move. Great comeback. Great game for Perron!

Old
10-07-2013, 11:28 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Perron played over 25 minutes.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 11:42 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Perron played over 25 minutes.
Honestly, he didn't deserve it. Both teams were really bad. Perron and the rest of the Oilers were doing fancy, lazy crap that resulted in giveaways at the blueline, etc. His shot was nice and he had some good plays, but all of those minutes were because Edmonton double-shifted their good players for most of the game.

I like Perron a lot and I hope he does well in Edmonton, but I see the same old Perron, he's just playing with high octane offensive players on a team that needs him and will overlook problematic play. He would never get the same opportunity on the Blues and for pretty good reason.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 11:56 PM
ejoshie

I really did like so and so but.......

Management tactic , just before they sack the guy.(eases guilty conscience, cannot stand him in reality).

ejoshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 01:16 AM
ledzeppelinfan1

Even if Perron breaks out for 40 goals this year, its erronious to the argument as it wasn't ever going to happen for Perron in St. Louis. It was time to go. Like someone said before, sometimes thats just the way it goes.

IMO, getting rid of Perron was addition by subtraction. His mindless play in so many areas of the ice will be a welcome absence for me this season, no matter what he does for the Oil.

ledzeppelinfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 01:53 AM
coolwasabi

I didn't know much about Perron before he was traded to my Oilers.
I really like him. He's obviously very skilled and also really gritty. He's not a perfect player, but you can tell that he's super competitive and cares. It's easier to forgive players' mistakes if they give a **** like he does. Granted, he hasn't made many mistakes for the Oilers yet. He's been very good.

Last edited by EastonBlues22: 10-08-2013 at 01:54 AM. Reason: filter
coolwasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 07:03 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolwasabi View Post
I didn't know much about Perron before he was traded to my Oilers.
I really like him. He's obviously very skilled and also really gritty. He's not a perfect player, but you can tell that he's super competitive and cares. It's easier to forgive players' mistakes if they give a **** like he does. Granted, he hasn't made many mistakes for the Oilers yet. He's been very good.
No question he cares. He can be frustrating at times, but his attitude/compete level was never a question mark for me. He loves the game of hockey. You pretty much have to love it to go from the QAJHL to the QMJHL to the NHL in 2 year's time. Some of that was due to the Blues having absolutely no talent up front his rookie year, but he still forced his way onto the team and had a pretty good season. I love Perron, and it's even more fun watching him in a fast-paced system because that really suits him better. He could've been a 25-35-60 guy here under perfect circumstances in my opinion, but that seemed very unlikely. I think he's a pretty perfect fit for Edmonton.

Last edited by MattyMo35: 10-08-2013 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old
10-08-2013, 08:28 AM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Yep, you can never question Perron's heart, he just loves to play the game.

More related to the Oilers, they are by far the most frustrating fantasy players. You'll get points, but accept a bad +/- lol.

Old
10-08-2013, 09:37 AM
OntOilFan

Perron is just a beauty. Loving this trade. He's been the most consistent Oiler so far this year. Hope Mags works out for you guys - no question he's got a ton of talent. Hopefully Hitch can bring it out.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 10:24 AM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#turtlemode

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
Perron is just a beauty. Loving this trade. He's been the most consistent Oiler so far this year. Hope Mags works out for you guys - no question he's got a ton of talent. Hopefully Hitch can bring it out.
I'm glad he's working out. MPS hasn't played yet but we like his potential, and the second rounder will help possibly acquire a deadline addition. The freed up cash helped the Petro signing too.

Daley Tarasenkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 10:29 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
I'm watching a lot more Oilers games this year, rooting for Perron. His skills seem well suited to the style Edmonton plays. But if the Blues played like that I'd get ulcers.

Anyway, I wish him success. Its good to see he's being embraced by the new fanbase. I'm not surprised, though. He's always been great with the fans and his enthusiasm is hard to ignore.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 10:31 AM
OntOilFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I'm watching a lot more Oilers games this year, rooting for Perron. His skills seem well suited to the style Edmonton plays. But if the Blues played like that I'd get ulcers.

Anyway, I wish him success. Its good to see he's being embraced by the new fanbase. I'm not surprised, though. He's always been great with the fans and his enthusiasm is hard to ignore.
That is another thing that impresses me about him. He embraced the city and the community right away, getting involved in charities, being visible at events, etc. Seems like a good person as well as a good player.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 10:51 AM
STL fan in IA

Perron is the type of player that didn't really fit the style of the Blues or Hitch (and Miklatz has hinted at the Blues now being a better team now that folks who didn't agree with Hitch's style are now gone from the locker room...he pretty much had to be referring to Perron and/or McDonald) whereas his style is perfect for the Oilers. The Blues gained cap space, a good young player with potential, a 2nd rd pick and a room where everyone is on the same page. The Oilers gained a hard working, talented player that fits their style of play very well. To me, I see this trade being an easy win-win for both sides.

It's interesting watching Perron play for EDM though. He was one of the worst defensive players in STL (mostly due to him turning the puck over a lot) but he's clearly one of the better forwards defensively on EDM...and it's not like his defensive abilities improved over the summer. It's just that he actually must've learned something from Hitch and the rest of his Oilers teammates have a ways to go to get their two-way games up to where it needs to be for them to be a contending team.

I wish Perron well but I like the trade, especially since it created cap room to be able to sign Petro & Morrow and removed a player that wasn't fitting in our system. And Paajarvi and the 2nd rd picks are future assets we aren't even using yet so there's more benefit of this trade to come for the Blues.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 10:56 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
Perron is the type of player that didn't really fit the style of the Blues or Hitch (and Miklatz has hinted at the Blues now being a better team now that folks who didn't agree with Hitch's style are now gone from the locker room...he pretty much had to be referring to Perron and/or McDonald) whereas his style is perfect for the Oilers. The Blues gained cap space, a good young player with potential, a 2nd rd pick and a room where everyone is on the same page. The Oilers gained a hard working, talented player that fits their style of play very well. To me, I see this trade being an easy win-win for both sides.

It's interesting watching Perron play for EDM though. He was one of the worst defensive players in STL (mostly due to him turning the puck over a lot) but he's clearly one of the better forwards defensively on EDM...and it's not like his defensive abilities improved over the summer. It's just that he actually must've learned something from Hitch and the rest of his Oilers teammates have a ways to go to get their two-way games up to where it needs to be for them to be a contending team.

I wish Perron well but I like the trade, especially since it created cap room to be able to sign Petro & Morrow and removed a player that wasn't fitting in our system. And Paajarvi and the 2nd rd picks are future assets we aren't even using yet so there's more benefit of this trade to come for the Blues.
I had that thought, too, watching them in a couple games so far this year.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote