HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Cal-Tor

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2013, 12:09 AM
Flames rebuilder

vCash: 500
Cal-Tor

Toronto-
Chris Butler-1.7
Greg Nemisz-.725
Calgary 2014 3rd

Total-2.425

Calgary-
John-Michael Liles-3.875
Tyler Biggs-1.106
Joe Colborne-.6

Total-5.581

Toronto saves about 3.15 in cap space, get a cheap, serviceable defender, a big young right winger and a high 3rd. Calgary gets a slightly overpaid serviceable defenseman, and a couple of big young prospects, that still have potential.

Old
09-28-2013, 12:20 AM
BigDaddyLurch
Su-Su-SuperFriends

As a Habs fan without a dog in this fight, I think the Flames would be foolish to take on Liles and his horrible contract...isn't Wideman's terrible one enough?

Old
09-28-2013, 12:21 AM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyLurch View Post
As a Habs fan without a dog in this fight, I think the Flames would be foolish to take on Liles and his horrible contract...isn't Wideman's terrible one enough?
Wideman earned his deal last year.

Old
09-28-2013, 12:27 AM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
I'm fine with Wideman's number over the short term, but I think we'll regret it in years 4 and 5.

Old
09-28-2013, 12:36 AM
Maplelaughs97
The Kids Are Alright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames rebuilder View Post
Toronto-
Chris Butler-1.7
Greg Nemisz-.725
Calgary 2014 3rd

Total-2.425

Calgary-
John-Michael Liles-3.875
Tyler Biggs-1.106
Joe Colborne-.6

Total-5.581

Toronto saves about 3.15 in cap space, get a cheap, serviceable defender, a big young right winger and a high 3rd. Calgary gets a slightly overpaid serviceable defenseman, and a couple of big young prospects, that still have potential.
Apart from the cap savings value wise this is horrid for Toronto. Biggs as a throw in to take Liles? No thanks...

Old
09-28-2013, 12:36 AM
Znith

As a Leafs fan I do this...Biggs is just terrible at hockey. This would set the team up well financially and I like acquiring a 3rd round pick.

Old
09-28-2013, 12:48 AM
Signature
Capitano Giordano

vCash: 50
Quote:
Don't worry, this guy is just someone's side account. Never dares post a proposal on the Flames board, just goes about throwing around a few proposal involving players from the Calgary team after searching the Flames board for the latest player of interest.
Doesn't even use the proper 3 letter notation for Calgary.

Calgary doesn't do this, there's no guarantee that Liles will ever become a decent player again and the Flames have too many players on defence trying to make their name in the big leagues in the next 2 years. They are also not in the business of trading picks away. In addition, I'm uncertain what the motives are here. Why should Calgary even bother to help Toronto with their cap situation? There's no particular reason the Flames need to do this trade. Toronto needs to give up more, or the Flames should be giving up less.

Either way, it's actually pretty bad for both teams...

Old
09-28-2013, 12:56 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 410
No reason to Calgary to do this. I'd rather have Butler than Liles and I'm me.

Old
09-28-2013, 01:11 AM
grits207

Biggs is the worst pro hockey player in North America. No way the Flames do this.

Old
09-28-2013, 01:31 AM
ChesapeakeRipper
reims isnt my goalie

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by grits207 View Post
Biggs is the worst pro hockey player in North America. No way the Flames do this.
lol, wut?

Old
09-28-2013, 01:38 AM
WHLfollower

Quote:
Toronto-
Chris Butler-1.7
Greg Nemisz-.725
Calgary 2014 3rd

Total-2.425

Calgary-
John-Michael Liles-3.875
Tyler Biggs-1.106
Joe Colborne-.6

Total-5.581

Nonis will take that and run if you turn that pick into 2nd round.

Old
09-28-2013, 01:48 AM
Zirakzigil

vCash: 456
Flames do not do this. Does not benefit them in any way.

Old
09-28-2013, 02:40 AM
CaptainCrunch67

If you want the Flames to take that load of bad then there has to be way more incentive then getting rid of Butler while increasing out cap hit.

I wish people would stop with the garbage Liles to Calgary stuff. He's a terrible asset for Calgary to take because his contract makes him un-tradable. besides that we don't need another smallish puck moving defensemen we've got enough of those, plus Liles is 32 going on 33. biggs is absolute trash, and Colborne isn't worth much, when he needed a big camp to save his career he couldn't do this.

Calgary is not going to give up a draft pick for that kind of package, especially one that might as well be a second round pick.

Toss in Toronto's first in that package and maybe its something to think about.

Old
09-28-2013, 02:41 AM
CaptainCrunch67

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHLfollower View Post
Nonis will take that and run if you turn that pick into 2nd round.
Take out Calgary's third and Toronto throws in a 1st.

that's how much that trade doesn't benefit Calgary at all.

Old
09-28-2013, 02:42 AM
Flames rebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirakzigil View Post
Flames do not do this. Does not benefit them in any way.
Biggs and Colborne still have potential. Butler, if he works really hard, can have a long career as a 5/6 defenseman and Nemisz, to be nice, could really use a change of scenery. Taking on Liles contract is not a big deal and the added veteran leadership gives the Flames more options when it comes time to make some moves. Would not surprise me at all to see Gio moved this year, if the price is right...captain or not! Biggs gives the Flames a big, physical right wing prospect, something we lack and moving home could jump start Colbornes career. Don't really see how it's a bad move for either team

Old
09-28-2013, 02:48 AM
CaptainCrunch67

Quote:
Biggs and Colborne still have potential. Butler, if he works really hard, can have a long career as a 5/6 defenseman and Nemisz, to be nice, could really use a change of scenery. Taking on Liles contract is not a big deal and the added veteran leadership gives the Flames more options when it comes time to make some moves. Would not surprise me at all to see Gio moved this year, if the price is right...captain or not! Biggs gives the Flames a big, physical right wing prospect, something we lack and moving home could jump start Colbornes career. Don't really see how it's a bad move for either team
Gio probably isn't going to be moved, the Flames named him Captain because he's the type of leadership they want in the room.

Taking on Liles contract is a big deal especially considering the term. We don't need anymore small puck moving defensemen we have younger ones here and in Abottsford. The Flames don't need to acquire a 32 year old overpaid one. If the Flames do trade Gio (doubtful you need some veteran leadership with a rebuilding team) Liles in not the guy to take that place.

Biggs is nothing, even leaf fans think he's not going anywhere. Colborne is a project, and not worth that much. If teams wait long enough he'll be waived.

Its an outright brutal move for Calgary. At least Butler is paid like a bottom pairing defenseman, and he can be effective there.

A one on one deal of Nemitz for Colborne makes sense but that's as far as it should go as two failing prospects getting a change of scenery.

Old
09-28-2013, 02:56 AM
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.

Leafs say no. Liles has to play and he will get suitors. He is an NHL dman, he just doesn't fit into our plans.

Old
09-28-2013, 02:57 AM
The Brewmeister
#Winning.

Send a message via MSN to The Brewmeister Send a message via Skype™ to The Brewmeister
When did Biggs become a bust when he's played 1 successful year in the OHL and just moved into pro hockey?

Some of the posts on here are some of the most asinine comments I have ever read about a prospect.

If Detroit took Biggs in the 1st (like they planned to), they would be considered brilliant for taking him and his value would be untouchable. But because Toronto took him and the bipolarity of Leafs Nation, Biggs' value ranges from a bag of hockey pucks to Sidney Crosby.

Good job HF! A bunch of winners we've got here.

Old
09-28-2013, 03:03 AM
Flames rebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch67 View Post
Gio probably isn't going to be moved, the Flames named him Captain because he's the type of leadership they want in the room.

Taking on Liles contract is a big deal especially considering the term. We don't need anymore small puck moving defensemen we have younger ones here and in Abottsford. The Flames don't need to acquire a 32 year old overpaid one. If the Flames do trade Gio (doubtful you need some veteran leadership with a rebuilding team) Liles in not the guy to take that place.

Biggs is nothing, even leaf fans think he's not going anywhere. Colborne is a project, and not worth that much. If teams wait long enough he'll be waived.

Its an outright brutal move for Calgary. At least Butler is paid like a bottom pairing defenseman, and he can be effective there.

A one on one deal of Nemitz for Colborne makes sense but that's as far as it should go as two failing prospects getting a change of scenery.
I wouldn't be opposed to that either but I think people are underestimating Biggs. It's a huge transition from college to junior. He still has potential and a nose for the net, something that's very needed to compliment our smaller, high end prospects. I don't want Liles contract either but for the right deal I'd take it on. I think the Flames management is in buy low/sell high mode and every current play has a price right now. If teams are willing to pay that price tag, is the only question.

Old
09-28-2013, 05:56 AM
blankall

Uhhh no peg. .. I mean no Liles.

Throw in a first round pick and the Flames may take a look.

Old
09-28-2013, 06:50 AM
KapG

Of course the he flames might take a look if ee offer a first in there rofl.

But you're absolutely ****ing dreaming if you think toronto would add a first to that. ****ing calgary fans rofl.

Old
09-28-2013, 09:33 AM
SaintMorose

vCash: 134
I actually like the deal (though I'd prefer Blacker to Colbourne because of waiver issues we might run into).

Biggest problem for us accepting would be the Flames ownership saying they don't want to pay 11.3M out to someone who isn't a top 3 defense man. But that said we're going to be over 15M short of the floor next year with our 3 priority re-signings being Galiardi, Bouma, and Stajan. If we assume the plan is to let Cammy go to a contender at the deadline that contract might help us in trading him.

Old
09-28-2013, 09:51 AM
Hockey 4 Life

LOL at calgary fans that want a first on top of this offer. Your team is gonna be horrible this year and the only reason you wouldnt want to do this is because you would not want to risk the first overall pick in 2014. We don't need to trade with calgary our gm will sort the cap out and while your signing your key upcoming ufas in bouma, stajan and well who cares we will sign kessel, phaneuf, gardiner etc. I swear the smugness towards leafs players and prospects from calgary fans is off the charts considering their an AHL team.

Old
09-28-2013, 09:57 AM
Haatley

Two garbage prospects are the incentive for flames to take on liles garbage contract? No thanks.

Old
09-28-2013, 10:14 AM
mrinsane

No from Flames POV

Closed Thread