HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

What does this mean for Yashin?

Closed Thread

Old
07-13-2005, 03:31 PM
NYIsles1*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Expecting Weinhandl,to assume top 9 forwards roles and produce enough for this team to amount to anything near-term is unrealistic, IMO.
Mattias Weinhandl led the SEL in goals with 26 in 50 games, third in league scoring with 46 total points in a league loaded with veterans and NHL players.

Your entitled to your opinion but is it that unrealistic he cannot do the same thing in the NHL to a point he cannot even be a top nine forward?

Old
07-13-2005, 03:40 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1
Mattias Weinhandl led the SEL in goals with 26 in 50 games, third in league scoring with 46 total points in a league loaded with veterans and NHL players.

Your entitled to your opinion but is it that unrealistic he cannot do the same thing in the NHL to a point he cannot even be a top nine forward?
If success in the SEL guarentees NHL success then Lundquist must be the next Brodeur considering how he has dominated the last 2 yrs!

But the bottom line is until they do it in the NHL you can't base expectations on what these guys do in a seperate league that plays a totally different style of hockey.

Old
07-13-2005, 03:55 PM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
If success in the SEL guarentees NHL success then Lundquist must be the next Brodeur considering how he has dominated the last 2 yrs!
If I wrote Weinhandl could be a forward comparable at his position to a generational talent like Martin Brodeur equates to goaltenders you would have a point. All I wrote was it's not unrealistic to suggest Weinhandl cannot be a top nine forward for the Islanders next season based on what he did last season in an established league with a huge influx of NHL talent.

Old
07-13-2005, 05:32 PM
Aldous Snow

Weinhandl seems poised for a breakout year. If nothing else he is a pretty good, speedy two way forward who can be a nice complimentary player on a top 2 line. If I were MM here is how I would go about putting this team back together again.

1- Buyout Yashin - Resign Aucoin or Hammer
2- Aquire a physical DMan - trade Jason Blake, Papineau, and a 2nd rd pick to Minnesota for Willie Mitchell and a decent prospect. (a Backup plan would be to maybe add a little bit more and go all out for Jovo)
3- Fill in the rest of the holes through FA. Through the first 2 moves a ton of cap room has been cleared. I would then go hard for a top 4 Dman to replace Kenny Johnson. My choice would be the vastly underrated Brian Rafalski. Foote and Rathje are other possibilities.

Up front Palffy is the guy that makes the most sense. How could you not want to bring him back to LI? Plus he wouldnt need a long term deal and he would fit perfectly in the mold of a 30 goal winger that this team hasnt had since he left. I would also bring back Jason Weimer to center the 4th line and add an enforcer type with some skill.
(Player Salary)
Palffy(3)-----------Peca(3.7)-------Parrish(2.3)
Weinhandl(.7)----Kvasha(1.5)----Hunter(.55)
Bergenheim(.7)----Scatch(1.7)----Asham(.75)
Camp Comp---Weimer(1)---Camp Comp

Aucoin(3)-----Rafalski(3)
Mitchell(.9)----Niinimaa(3)
Martinek(.7)---Gervais/Campoli/Caldwell(.45)

Dipo (1.2)

Total Team Payroll would then be somewhere in the low 30 million dollar range which would be pretty conservative. That would give Wang plenty of extra room for Yashin's money and flexibility for a midseason trade.

Old
07-13-2005, 05:35 PM
Isles72

Trots , all due respect --I think you are getting all antsy over something thats not gonna happen .No sense in burning the midnight oil with scenerios of what the isles would do if they buy him out .

IF ...and thats a big IF - Milbury convinces Wang that it might not be a bad idea to buyout Yashin ; I think it'll be for ''image'' reasons more than anything .

I mean , does Wang want to hear the various hockey media for the next 6 years saying the same ol' lines ''albatross '' etc...etc...I think this , more than anything else might get Wang to buy him out if it bothers him .

Old
07-13-2005, 06:56 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by icelanders
Weinhandl seems poised for a breakout year. If nothing else he is a pretty good, speedy two way forward who can be a nice complimentary player on a top 2 line. If I were MM here is how I would go about putting this team back together again.

1- Buyout Yashin - Resign Aucoin or Hammer
2- Aquire a physical DMan - trade Jason Blake, Papineau, and a 2nd rd pick to Minnesota for Willie Mitchell and a decent prospect. (a Backup plan would be to maybe add a little bit more and go all out for Jovo)
3e.
If you can get Mitchell for Blake, I'll drive Blake to the airport.

Old
07-13-2005, 07:50 PM
blitzkriegs

Burnside on espn.com wrote that he thinks NYI will NOT spend to the cap, keeping Yashin, and the ever surprising fill in with el cheapos.

NYI will get torched if they do NOT spend to the cap limit in this market w/Yashin on board. Wang spent 42/45 mil under the old CBA with the current tix prices, he can't REDUCE the payroll to 29-32 million and charge the same. That's not gonna fly well. Good luck with spinning that one.

Old
07-13-2005, 07:58 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Would NYI potentially be better off if they bought out Yashin remaining years, and re-allocated those funds toward two of the following forwards?

Demitra (UFA)
Guerin (potential buyout candidate in Dallas)
Holik (ditto)
Sykora (ditto)
Kariya (UFA)

Personally, if these players were available, and the price (no more than 3-4 year deals) was right, I would love to "exchange" Yashin's payroll space for that of two from that list, all of whom are productive, in-their-primers, three of whom (the ex-Devils) possess a Cup pedigree.
All sounds good. If Yashin stays and NYI have SOME cap room to fit one of these players, does the player sign on fully knowing that NYI can't make additional moves to the team?

And, just for hypo sake, If Yashin stays, MM fills up the D (don't know who, don't care for this little shindig), NYI have 3-4 mil left in cap room. Which of those do you sign?

My point is how marketable are NYI in any of these situations with any of those players?

I would love to have ANY of them w or w/o Yashin. Hell, rolling Kariya, Kvasha, Guerin would be VERY interesting... (same for DP ).

How can NYI justify NOT spending on these players if the team is somewhat intact w/cap room left and again there is no proven NHL talent on 79's wings.

More wild, if the numbers are right, would you take on Leclair, Amonte, Turgeon for 2 yr deals? Taking this as the ANTI-Chow proposal...

I throw this all out, not because I favor/disfavor the potential Yashin buyout, but rather sort of accept that 27 mil is a chunk of change for Wang to consume for a 'mistake.' If anything, somehow MM needs to be shrewd with the cap to bring in players to play with Yashin. There is room to pickup buyout players using the Angelos method...

Last edited by blitzkriegs: 07-13-2005 at 08:05 PM.
Old
07-13-2005, 08:21 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1

I actually think Weinhandl will be a productive NHLer, a top six "support" forward (think: Jiri Lehtinen on Modano/Hull's line) at best, a solid checking third-liner at worst.

I also think however, that he and the other younger players need to be surrounded by more talent/experience in order to realize their own talent. (I will acknowledge that Weinhandl may be the most ready to realize that potential, given his age and experience.)

More to the point, however, the concern here is that even if the younger players all develop as we hope they will, there remains a weakness at the top. I just don't have any confidence in any team with Yashin as the "go to" guy. I recognize that others disagree. But this harsh assessment is not formulated without any basis. I don't see even a hint of Iginla, Richards, etc. in him come pressure time, haven't since 1992. Ultimately the best teams have their best players step up when it matters most. Zero confidence here that Yashin has that in him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles72
Trots , all due respect --I think you are getting all antsy over something thats not gonna happen.
'72 - not getting antsy, and I agree that it very likely won't happen! But I think it should, and wanted to illustrate how it could, all hypothetically, of course.

Maybe someone else can provide a scenario whereby NYI will retain Yashin, not bring in more established NHL talent, stay under the cap and ice a Cup contender...in our lifetime.

Last edited by Trottier: 07-13-2005 at 08:46 PM.
Old
07-13-2005, 09:26 PM
boredmale

the islander will not buy out Yashin or anybody this year. Buying out players contracts is made for teams who have to trime the fat(see Detroit, Toronto, Philly, Rangers). The islanders are still on a budget(there salries was roughly 40 million) and even then they lost money. I figure the Islanders will try make a budget of 35 million. If they buy out Yashin, that's not 5 million they will have to free up for other players that is 5 million(roughly 75% of the 7.2 million they owe him) of the budget wasted.

I can see him being bought out with a year or 2 on his contract left, but at this stage it's a huge waste of cash for a team that is on a budget, like him or not.

Old
07-13-2005, 09:58 PM
Aldous Snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale
the islander will not buy out Yashin or anybody this year. Buying out players contracts is made for teams who have to trime the fat(see Detroit, Toronto, Philly, Rangers). The islanders are still on a budget(there salries was roughly 40 million) and even then they lost money. I figure the Islanders will try make a budget of 35 million. If they buy out Yashin, that's not 5 million they will have to free up for other players that is 5 million(roughly 75% of the 7.2 million they owe him) of the budget wasted.

I can see him being bought out with a year or 2 on his contract left, but at this stage it's a huge waste of cash for a team that is on a budget, like him or not.

First of all Yashin has 5+ years remaining on his deal and the salaries only increase. Secondly buying him out at 2/3, the payments are prorated over 10 years. Therefore you pay him 2.7 mil/ year. When you compare that number to what his salary would be each year you would be saving prob around 3-5 mil a year as well as even more cap room. It makes too much sense not to do.

Old
07-13-2005, 10:05 PM
boredmale

Quote:
First of all Yashin has 5+ years remaining on his deal and the salaries only increase. Secondly buying him out at 2/3, the payments are prorated over 10 years. Therefore you pay him 2.7 mil/ year. When you compare that number to what his salary would be each year you would be saving prob around 3-5 mil a year as well as even more cap room. It makes too much sense not to do.

if you can pay it over a certain amount of time like you say, then it comes down to the fact can you find a better player for 5 million a year(which i guess is not a bad move if you consiuder Kvasha the real deal and get a winger which we are sorely lacking). Beyond that, the contract says the highest you can pay a player is 20% of you salary cap(ie roughly 7.8 million). I have a feeling that will be refered to as the Alexei Yashin rule.

Old
07-13-2005, 11:12 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
First of all Yashin has 5+ years remaining on his deal and the salaries only increase. .
Yashin is currently at the peak of his contract. He got 4 years at 10 million during the middle of the deal. He is in year 2 (last season yr 1) of those 4 years this coming season. Years, 9-10 are reduced by 4 mil per season. FYI - #'s based on original contract terms, not the 24%.

Old
07-13-2005, 11:38 PM
JKP

Has anyone considered that in 3 or 4 years time the league may be booming with good parity from rev sharing and a cap and a refreshed product that is exciting again. If so, and the league revenues start to jump up, then Yash may be a good deal for the last few years of his contract.

I still think his best hockey is ahead of him. He needs a scoring winger to take some pressure off him and, imo, a better coach that nows how to get the most out of a team like NYI. Giving him $28M (or whatever the buyout would be) to go play for someone else is nuts. That's cash you'll never see ANY return on and makes little financial sense (especially if you can use future revenue from the new rink to offset the future cost obligations). At least get some value out of the investment (even if it's sub-par value as many of you advocate).

Old
07-14-2005, 12:10 AM
blitzkriegs

At this rate, Yashin will fulfill the terms of his contract in a NYI uniform BEFORE the arena is completed (or maybe even a shovel in the ground).

Now, talk about a Wang backfire...

Closed Thread