HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers lose 4-0

Old
09-27-2013, 10:36 PM
McDeathbyCheerios

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiva View Post
Meaningless or not, sure looked familiar from several games over the last few seasons, doesn't it?

What the hell is the matter with this team? No effort whatsoever, even if it's a pre-season game, it still should be better than this.
I think thats why Eakins is okay that it happened now. He cannot stand this kind of play and will do everything he can to stop it from happening. Happens during a meaningless game he can rip them a new one, if it starts happening during the season, like he said, the ones doing it wont be on the ice and only the ones giving a **** will be out there.

McDeathbyCheerios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 10:37 PM
alphahelix

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathbyCheerios View Post
Name any team that had 6 good centermen. Any team in the league would be screwed losing their top two centers.
Almost every team in the league has at least one reasonable C prospect in the pipeline that they could press into service for the first few games if necessary. We don't. Many teams in the league have a better 4th line C (read: NHL quality) to begin with than we do: essentially, we didn't have one and we were hoping one of the minor leaguers would step up.

So thats 2 centers that the majority of the teams in the league have more than we do. If they had 2 injuries they'd have their 4th line C playing up the line up along with a prospect C slotting in. We had neither of these options so EMERGENCY MODE kicks in and we get 2/4 starting centers being AHL fodder. It would take most teams 3 injuries before a guy like Acton would be out there on opening night.

Having said that, he had another solid game. Hoping for the best.

alphahelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 10:40 PM
McCupofOil
Bob The Builder

Didn't see the game, didn't really care to for that matter but i just went through the GDT and now this one and give me an fn break. Talk about overreaction.

What i find funny or should i say sad is that after the wins, some of you were saying that the wins don't mean anything because it's preseason but now that the team lost, it means everything.

I don't expect this team to make the playoffs but it has nothing to do with an utterly meaningless preseason no show.
I said it after the last game. Most of the players have mentally checked out this preseason now that the roster is set. I'm not surprised at all that they mailed it in tonight, absolutely nothing to play for. I'm sure that Eakins will be pissed regardless, he wouldn't be doing his job if he wasn't.

McCupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 10:42 PM
nabob
Nuuuuuuuuuuge!!

Preseason should be shorter.

5 games max.

nabob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 10:44 PM
McDeathbyCheerios

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Didn't see the game, didn't really care to for that matter but i just went through the GDT and now this one and give me an fn break. Talk about overreaction.

What i find funny or should i say sad is that after the wins, some of you were saying that the wins don't mean anything because it's preseason but now that the team lost, it means everything.

I don't expect this team to make the playoffs but it has nothing to do with an utterly meaningless preseason no show.
I said it after the last game. Most of the players have mentally checked out this preseason now that the roster is set. I'm not surprised at all that they mailed it in tonight, absolutely nothing to play for. I'm sure that Eakins will be pissed regardless, he wouldn't be doing his job if he wasn't.
I honestly feel like for the fans that even if we win a game, we still lose. If we win its "well we did all this bad still and the other team wasn't trying so it doesn't count". Its like we are not allowed to be happy for our wins or anything we do right.

McDeathbyCheerios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 10:45 PM
Magnum23

pretty scary thought to be losing to dallas's b team! hopefully it was just an off night!

Magnum23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 10:46 PM
alphahelix

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathbyCheerios View Post
I honestly feel like for the fans that even if we win a game, we still lose. If we win its "well we did all this bad still and the other team wasn't trying so it doesn't count". Its like we are not allowed to be happy for our wins or anything we do right.
Come regular season you'll see plenty of superfluous hyperbole following the wins

People are all "Eberle for president!", "Hall is better than Messier!", "I just switched to geico and saved a bundle on player insurance!"

Things get irrational pretty quick whenever we win and somebody has a multi-point night.

Old
09-27-2013, 10:46 PM
RoboNerdOK
HFBoards Snarkster

vCash: 1050
I was there in person.

The Oilers NHLers were completely checked out and didn't battle. They were joking around and really didn't care too much. Yakupov was the obvious exception to that rule.

The Stars kids were playing for a call-up, and they actually put in that extra 5% of effort that makes the difference.

Dunno what else there is to say. It's hard for me to blame the guys for playing soft when there's already two major players out for the next month at least. We certainly can't afford another key injury when we're trying to push for playoffs.

RoboNerdOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 10:47 PM
JSC
Registered Sniper

Oilers on a 4 game winning streak: "Relax, it's just preseason"

Oilers lose 4-0: "ZOMGGG WE"RE ****ED!!1!!"

JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 10:48 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboNerdOK View Post
I was there in person.

The Oilers NHLers were completely checked out and didn't battle. They were joking around and really didn't care too much. Yakupov was the obvious exception to that rule.

The Stars kids were playing for a call-up, and they actually put in that extra 5% of effort that makes the difference.

Dunno what else there is to say. It's hard for me to blame the guys for playing soft when there's already two major players out for the next month at least. We certainly can't afford another key injury when we're trying to push for playoffs.
This alleviates some of my concerns a little but I'm still glad that Eakins was huffing and puffing during the third and after the game.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 10:49 PM
RoboNerdOK
HFBoards Snarkster

Oh, and Eakins looked ready to tear someone's head off.

...so in other words, like Dallas Eakins any day.

Old
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahelix View Post
Come regular season you'll see plenty of superfluous hyperbole following the wins

People are all "Eberle for president!", "Hall is better than Messier!", "I just switched to geico and saved a bundle on player insurance!"

Things get irrational pretty quick whenever we win and somebody has a multi-point night.
I can only hope this is sarcasm.

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ChaoticOrange
HFB Partner

This would be why after several years I only have a couple hundred posts.

I get that there are a lot of angry fans on here, but it's preseason. The game literally means nothing and the players know that.

No team wins every game. There will be stinkers, we will get shutout. We will get out worked some games, we will get outshot some games, and this board will be like walking into a PETA convention in a fur coat.

Panic if we're 25 games in and 5-15-5. It's a PRESEASON GAME. Step back from the ledge!

ChaoticOrange is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 10:50 PM
alphahelix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
I can only hope this is sarcasm.
Who can even tell anymore?

Old
09-27-2013, 10:51 PM
nexttothemoon
light.end.tunnel

vCash: 50
These game actually aren't meaningless... sure they are preseason games but as a team... they still need to build chemistry between all the D pairings and forward lines.

You can't just expect the team to magically step on the ice October 1st and know each others traits and quirks and mesh with each other plus know the systems Eakins is expecting them all to know and play within.

Sure these games don't count in the standings but I guarantee you that Eakins and the assistant coaches will take this result seriously and drill it into all the players that they expect much better than what they showed tonight.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 10:51 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahelix View Post
Who can even tell anymore?

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 10:52 PM
molsonmuscle360

vCash: 50
This board is hillarious. They win, it's "oh it doesn't matter it's only the preseason, lets see what they do when the real games start", then they lose and the sky is falling. They mailed it in during a nothing game, in front of non-NHL fans.

I'll worry if they are doing that in 2 months time.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 10:53 PM
McGlassbangers
#SignLéveillé

vCash: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF View Post
What happened to SMac?
I'm pretty sure he's the only one who saw it.

Yeah, I'm still mad at the cameraman. It's 7AM here and I stayed up just to see blinks of a hockey game.

McGlassbangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 10:53 PM
RoboNerdOK
HFBoards Snarkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Sure these games don't count in the standings but I guarantee you that Eakins and the assistant coaches will take this result seriously and drill it into all the players that they expect much better than what they showed tonight.
Hopefully they don't want any video to review.

Old
09-27-2013, 10:54 PM
RoboNerdOK
HFBoards Snarkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassbangers View Post
I'm pretty sure he's the only one who saw it.

Yeah, I'm still mad at the cameraman. It's 7AM here and I stayed up just to see blinks of a hockey game.
I couldn't see too well because of the boards but it looked like a pile-up he got on the wrong end of.

Old
09-27-2013, 11:01 PM
KaraLupin
카라

What were the top 2 lines?

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 11:11 PM
Psychoil

this bored is comical sometimes.....1 preseason game! I make fun of vancouver fans when they poop on luongo in preseason but i guess i should expect the same behaviour from oiler fans

Psychoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 11:26 PM
Jek McPorkins
Red Six

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
Preseason should be shorter.

5 games max.
Yup. You couldn't have paid me to watch this one. It's like NFL preseason week 4. Go bubble guys.

Jek McPorkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 11:39 PM
JoeCool16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSC View Post

Oilers on a 4 game winning streak: "Relax, it's just preseason"

Oilers lose 4-0: "ZOMGGG WE"RE ****ED!!1!!"
Haha pretty much.

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 11:39 PM
Starbuds
You like muscles?

Man, it's over. It's all over. Another year comes and goes in the life of an Oilers fan. The pre-season is over.

How was the crowd? I didn't get to watch.

Starbuds is offline   Reply With Quote