HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Oilers lose 4-0

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-28-2013, 07:46 AM
  #76
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher
 
Mowzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Lebanon, Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 8,986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mactforcoach View Post
The lack of compete in front of almost 9000 fans on Oklahoma City tells me a lot about this team. At the very least they could have delivered a show for these people. I'm not concerned about who won or lost but I am concerned that they disrespected their fanbase like that. Classy...
Ya, for the organization to organize something like this, then have the players show no interest is frustrating.

I know it's just pre-season so whatever, but were still going in to the regular season of a season we really need to push for the playoffs with exactly 1 NHL centerman.

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 07:56 AM
  #77
fuswald
I'd Be Fired
 
fuswald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 894
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mactforcoach View Post
The lack of compete in front of almost 9000 fans on Oklahoma City tells me a lot about this team. At the very least they could have delivered a show for these people. I'm not concerned about who won or lost but I am concerned that they disrespected their fanbase like that. Classy...
This. Not the time to be slackers for sure. Time for bags and bags of skate. Can't get hurt doing drills til ya puk. Should pay em when they win and not when they loose.

fuswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 08:49 AM
  #78
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lord of HFBOARDS
Country: United Nations
Posts: 75,199
vCash: 6260
here is what concerns me-- Did not watch the game, but listening to the pregame show, sounded like the Stars went with 12 AHL players, 3 first rounders and 5 nhlers.. Pre-game show spent some time explaining about teams have to draft 8 nhlers per pre-game and they could not figure out who the 8th guy was. The fact we went with mostly our starting line up and got our ass handed to us, should be a concern. Unless the stars did a bait and switch and changed their line up

jumptheshark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 08:57 AM
  #79
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lord of HFBOARDS
Country: United Nations
Posts: 75,199
vCash: 6260
What concerns me are the reports of Brown and Smack getting injured

jumptheshark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 08:58 AM
  #80
Replacement*
Checked out
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hiking
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,856
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mactforcoach View Post
The lack of compete in front of almost 9000 fans on Oklahoma City tells me a lot about this team. At the very least they could have delivered a show for these people. I'm not concerned about who won or lost but I am concerned that they disrespected their fanbase like that. Classy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
Ya, for the organization to organize something like this, then have the players show no interest is frustrating.

I know it's just pre-season so whatever, but were still going in to the regular season of a season we really need to push for the playoffs with exactly 1 NHL centerman.
These comments touch at something pretty interesting. The org for some reason thought this was a thing they should do. The management on this club felt it was in some way valuable. Lets be honest here. The players didn't. Even in the lead up comments to this game you could tell this wasn't really going to be any big deal for guys like Hall and Eberle who were invisible in this game. They simply didn't buy in even to extend a modicum of effort.

I will say this, apparently for certain stars on this club its beneath their perhaps bloated ego to bring it on a night in front of OKC fans. This is somewhat troubling.

On a night like this without competition for spots, without playing in front of an NHL crowd, and without playing in front of home fans, this is what this club brought to the ice. This suggests that the concept I mentioned, that expressed by Wayne Gretzky that he played every game with the thought that this could be one fans ONLY chance to ever see him in action. Wayne learned this valuable professional scope from no less than Gordie Howe. This ode was absent last night. As if 8K fans weren't even in the building, that kids weren't watching with families. Because pro players, a whole team, treated this game as if it was nothing. Ryan Smyth, who doesn't even have to play the game anymore and has accomplished a lot of personal goals was one of the few good Oilers on the ice last night. At least he gave an effort. Any knowledgeable fan in the crowd would think hockey is a pretty lame sport if Taylor Hall was the top pick in the world in his draft year.

Some of these entitled players that call themselves professionals should start learning what the term means right about now.

This is one game, sure, but like I stated earlier the old pattern of not getting up for games still exists. How can this club possibly be overconfident? Lets hope we don't see this often or at all in the regular season.

Replacement* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 09:11 AM
  #81
fuswald
I'd Be Fired
 
fuswald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 894
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
These comments touch at something pretty interesting. The org for some reason thought this was a thing they should do. The management on this club felt it was in some way valuable. Lets be honest here. The players didn't. Even in the lead up comments to this game you could tell this wasn't really going to be any big deal for guys like Hall and Eberle who were invisible in this game. They simply didn't buy in even to extend a modicum of effort.

I will say this, apparently for certain stars on this club its beneath their perhaps bloated ego to bring it on a night in front of OKC fans. This is somewhat troubling.

On a night like this without competition for spots, without playing in front of an NHL crowd, and without playing in front of home fans, this is what this club brought to the ice. This suggests that the concept I mentioned, that expressed by Wayne Gretzky that he played every game with the thought that this could be one fans ONLY chance to ever see him in action. Wayne learned this valuable professional scope from no less than Gordie Howe. This ode was absent last night. As if 8K fans weren't even in the building, that kids weren't watching with families. Because pro players, a whole team, treated this game as if it was nothing. Ryan Smyth, who doesn't even have to play the game anymore and has accomplished a lot of personal goals was one of the few good Oilers on the ice last night. At least he gave an effort. Any knowledgeable fan in the crowd would think hockey is a pretty lame sport if Taylor Hall was the top pick in the world in his draft year.

Some of these entitled players that call themselves professionals should start learning what the term means right about now.

This is one game, sure, but like I stated earlier the old pattern of not getting up for games still exists. How can this club possibly be overconfident? Lets hope we don't see this often or at all in the regular season.
If this is so then one of the special kids needs to go. Wake them up to who pays the bills.

fuswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 09:12 AM
  #82
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lord of HFBOARDS
Country: United Nations
Posts: 75,199
vCash: 6260
Got up and hitting TSN, ESPN and Canoe to get the stat picture from last night-- only TSN lists who played and the only stats they have in penalty minutes

jumptheshark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 09:21 AM
  #83
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lord of HFBOARDS
Country: United Nations
Posts: 75,199
vCash: 6260
sad statement about getting information about last nights game is the fact I had to fan blogs to get the information needed about what happened

jumptheshark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 09:32 AM
  #84
Red Deer Rebel
Registered User
 
Red Deer Rebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Red Deer
Posts: 2,967
vCash: 500
Ya, let's get rid of Taylor Hall. His selfish play is clearly hurting a hard-working player like Ryan Smyth.

Or maybe we should demote Hall to the 3rd line, where he can play with that other scrub - Yakupov.

Based on the number of times Hall was all alone out there with no support from his wingers on his rushes, I'm sure he wouldn't mind a change.

Red Deer Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 09:35 AM
  #85
Replacement*
Checked out
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hiking
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,856
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
Ya, let's get rid of Taylor Hall. His selfish play is clearly hurting a hard-working player like Ryan Smyth.

Or maybe we should demote Hall to the 3rd line, where he can play with that other scrub - Yakupov.

Based on the number of times Hall was all alone out there with no support from his wingers on his rushes, I'm sure he wouldn't mind a change.
Obviously I'm not saying this. I am saying an attitude adjustment is required and really why Eakins is here. So lets get on with the adjustments.

Some of the high priced players on this club already chose to test the coach with this invisible performance which, for anybody that watched the game was disgusting.

Like I said the interesting thing will be what the response is from org and coaching staff. This half assing it can't continue to go on and expect to win games.

Replacement* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 09:40 AM
  #86
gwiz999
Registered User
 
gwiz999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 154
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
These comments touch at something pretty interesting. The org for some reason thought this was a thing they should do. The management on this club felt it was in some way valuable. Lets be honest here. The players didn't. Even in the lead up comments to this game you could tell this wasn't really going to be any big deal for guys like Hall and Eberle who were invisible in this game. They simply didn't buy in even to extend a modicum of effort.

I will say this, apparently for certain stars on this club its beneath their perhaps bloated ego to bring it on a night in front of OKC fans. This is somewhat troubling.

On a night like this without competition for spots, without playing in front of an NHL crowd, and without playing in front of home fans, this is what this club brought to the ice. This suggests that the concept I mentioned, that expressed by Wayne Gretzky that he played every game with the thought that this could be one fans ONLY chance to ever see him in action. Wayne learned this valuable professional scope from no less than Gordie Howe. This ode was absent last night. As if 8K fans weren't even in the building, that kids weren't watching with families. Because pro players, a whole team, treated this game as if it was nothing. Ryan Smyth, who doesn't even have to play the game anymore and has accomplished a lot of personal goals was one of the few good Oilers on the ice last night. At least he gave an effort. Any knowledgeable fan in the crowd would think hockey is a pretty lame sport if Taylor Hall was the top pick in the world in his draft year.

Some of these entitled players that call themselves professionals should start learning what the term means right about now.

This is one game, sure, but like I stated earlier the old pattern of not getting up for games still exists. How can this club possibly be overconfident? Lets hope we don't see this often or at all in the regular season.
I'm actually looking forward to seeing some bench stapling of the under-achieving players. A view from the box might just be what some of them need too. Last night's "compete level" was no different than some regular season games from last year.

Follow the game plan, compete hard or sit out and watch the Play-off/Olympic dream fade to dust.

gwiz999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 09:58 AM
  #87
Red Deer Rebel
Registered User
 
Red Deer Rebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Red Deer
Posts: 2,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Obviously I'm not saying this. I am saying an attitude adjustment is required and really why Eakins is here. So lets get on with the adjustments.

Some of the high priced players on this club already chose to test the coach with this invisible performance which, for anybody that watched the game was disgusting.

Like I said the interesting thing will be what the response is from org and coaching staff. This half assing it can't continue to go on and expect to win games.
Ryan Smyth did nothing last night but miss 3 glorious scoring chances, screw up a 3 on 2 by shooting the puck from the hashmarks (missed the net as usual), and get schooled on the PK. He's never up in the play, and can't keep up with Hall, who likes to carry the puck through the neutral zone with speed.

How many times was Hall all alone in the offensive zone, having outskated his wingers? Where was Smyth or Hemsky when Hall stole the puck and took off on his partial breakaway (when Eakin backchecked him)? They should have been up with him so he could slide the puck over.

Smyth is one of the worst skaters in the NHL, as is Ryan Hamilton, yet our rookie coach plays both of them with 2 thoroughbreds in Hall and Yakupov - basically destroying 2 lines. Then we have Mark Arcobello (0 career points in the NHL) playing with Eberle.

Smyth had 2 goals last year, and a 3% shooting percentage. Ryan Hamilton is almost 30 years old, and has scored 0 goals in the NHL in his entire career.

Why do we have an AHL calibre scrub on every line? Why is Eakins concerned about "evening the lines out"? What other coach puts these sorts of players with guys who have proven they can put up PPG in the NHL?

Red Deer Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 09:58 AM
  #88
Trafalgar McLaw
Waive Dallas Eakins
 
Trafalgar McLaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,252
vCash: 500
RNH can't get back into this lineup fast enough. Hall is not meant to be a center in the NHL. Eberle played as lazy as Hemsky from last year, hopefully his career trajectory doesn't take the same turn. Yakupov needs to play with actual players and not AHLers like Ryan Hamilton. Ryan Smyth does not belong on the team, let alone the first line. Also if our 4th line is Injured Enforcer/Idiot-Daddy's Boy-Moustachio, we're going to be hemmed in our zone every time they step on the ice.

Trafalgar McLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 10:22 AM
  #89
Tad McMikowsky
Content Cop
 
Tad McMikowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuswald View Post
If this is so then one of the special kids needs to go. Wake them up to who pays the bills.
Well that's just dumb considering it's a pre season loss.

Candidate for worst idea of e year and the season hasn't started yet.

Tad McMikowsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 10:27 AM
  #90
NAF
Beauty Fakes
 
NAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,025
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuswald View Post
This. Not the time to be slackers for sure. Time for bags and bags of skate. Can't get hurt doing drills til ya puk. Should pay em when they win and not when they loose.
They don't pay them at all during the preseason, guy. Sam Gagner got his jaw shattered literally for nothing playing against an all AHL Canucks squad while trying his guts out. The fact is, this team would be much better shape to start the season if he'd just been out for a lazy skate, or not played at all.

There are way too many preseason games. Any more than four is a joke. By game eight, with the roster set, in front of a bunch non-fans in an AHL barn, I'm just glad no one besides the most useless player on the roster got hurt.

NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 10:43 AM
  #91
harpoon
FOB
 
harpoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
apparently for certain stars on this club its beneath their perhaps bloated ego to bring it on a night in front of OKC fans. This is somewhat troubling.
And apparently for Dubnyk its beneath him to get into a damn crouch stance when the puck comes into his zone and put his ****ing stick on the ice as its meant to be used in order to prevent "shots" from the most ridiculous angles from trickling into the net because he wasn't ready. This is more than a little troubling at this stage of his career. No focus whatsoever.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 11:20 AM
  #92
SabreOil
Registered User
 
SabreOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 894
vCash: 500
Lost 4-0 in preseason? begin the rebuild

SabreOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 11:24 AM
  #93
NAF
Beauty Fakes
 
NAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,025
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoop View Post
Have you ever been to a good exhibition game in any sport? A 'good' exhibition game for the Oilers might be a solid ten minutes of strong effort throughout the night. That's for pretty much any team.

Exhibition games suck. They suck in all sports. That's the way it goes. Nothing disrespectful, you just gotta know that going in.

Does anyone remember the Lakers playing an exhibition game at Rexall in the early 90s? It was a **** poor game, but there was a buzz in town about having the Lakers in town. Everyone in the crowd loved seeing Vlade Divac for a couple minutes. Some random guy snuck onto the court in some ghetto version of the blue men suits and took a shot.

It was absolutely horrible basketball, but a great night.

This is a perfect example of how hyper-sensitive our society is and looking to take offence at anything. It was a meaningless game. The team played terribly. Probably for the best. It will be a lot clearer what Dallas expects from the players and which players are buying into the system.

Disrespectful? Posters that are seriously arguing this are being disrespectful to my eyes by making me read such tripe without a disclaimer of some kind.
Good stuff. Ha! When I wrote my Thunder at the Butterdome analogy, I hadn't realized that this had basically already actually happened! When was that?!

NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 11:27 AM
  #94
alphahelix
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,063
vCash: 500
A bunch of our guys were gainfully employed for half the season last year in OKC. It certainly was "their" fan base at the time, and they have all said they enjoyed their time down there. Who cares if they "don't get paid" for the pre-season games? In fact, who is to say that they are not being paid? Playing pre-season is part and parcel of being a professional athlete.

Did Gretzky or Jordan neglect to show up for camp and just send a letter saying "I'm the best, If you're not paying me for every game then I'm not going to be there." This isn't just PRACTICE, man. We're not just talking about practice.

What kind of primadonna BS is that? You play preseason hockey for a variety of reasons and if you don't you're probably not going to receive 6 million dollars split over the following 83 games.

Did they HAVE to show up last night? No, obviously not. Do they HAVE to show up for any of the regular season games? No. They have guaranteed contracts. They took this night off and they will take nights off during the year. Should we respect them for that? **** no. Should we make excuses? No.

The OKC fans who paid their way and kept them in business during lock out deserved SOMETHING. At least one goal boys.

alphahelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 11:28 AM
  #95
Jek McPorkins
Red Six
 
Jek McPorkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 12,995
vCash: 110
It's a business. No more, no less. The great ones are remembered for giving back. The rest should make you second-guess your level of devotion and financial support.

Jek McPorkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 11:30 AM
  #96
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 32,554
vCash: 2627
Quote:
Originally Posted by OiledUp View Post
Yep, people doing a job where the main focus is to entertain. Which they didn't. Thus they sucked at their job yesterday. And they sucked at their job because they didn't care, which makes it worse. Obviously you'll never get the same effort in pre-season games as in the regular season but they should at least show some kind of pride. Also I've always thought that making people pay for pre-season games is kinda rich.
Expecting pre-season to be entertaining is like expected Boxer beer to taste good. Setting yourself up for failure. With Gagner getting hurt it was even worse as guys care even less about pre-season now.

Part of the unfortunate situation is that Dallas threw a garbage lineup at us. Players see that and the ones that have jobs just go out there and do what they can to not get hurt. Go through the motions if you will.

Hate it all you want, but you could see this going into the game yesterday. Wasn't going to be a game of skill hockey.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 11:34 AM
  #97
alphahelix
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF View Post
Get real. Professional athletes are people doing a job. They're allowed to have days when they're more into the job than others. You think if the Stones had to play a show for free to some curling rink full of hicks who didn't know their songs, they'd give the same effort as they would when playing to 100,000 screaming Stones fanatics who all paid top dollar? Give me a break
I can tell you that I have seen several huge bands in tiny venues/free shows who put on a BETTER live performance than their arena show. Some people are great at what they do because they love it.

Many people are not purely incentivized by money, especially when they have plenty of it.

alphahelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 11:35 AM
  #98
hmminvisiblecola1279
there are kids in it
 
hmminvisiblecola1279's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: no thanks
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,757
vCash: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF View Post
Ha! The hicks comment was in the context of the analogy I was making about the Stones. I was trying to think of a group of people who'd be less likely to be fans of that band. FWIW, I'd say that Oklahomans are probably no more a bunch of hicks than Albertans are.

I may be overstating my case here, but I get my back up when I read entitled comments like "how dare they put such a terrible effort in front of their fans". To be clear, the people of OKC are not Oilers fans. There is ZERO investment there. Why would there be? They aren't even hockey fans, really. They're the Florida Panthers of the AHL. Dead last in league attendance. Which is not to say that there aren't real fans there. Obviously there are. But they're the outliers. OKC is a basketball town. Heck, they probably get more people out to a high school football game than a Barons match. So don't give me that "they owe it to us" nonsense.

Look at it this way: if the OKC Thunder for some insane reason decided to play an exhibition game at the Butterdome, dressed their star players, and charged Edmontonians a tenth of what real fans of that team pay, and then they lost that game, would you think it was a good idea to go onto a message board for fans of the Thunder and start wagging your finger and chastising the team for not putting in a better effort in front of real fans like you?
Like I said I understand this game was meaningless however lets leave the respective fan bases out of this. As some people have also pointed out, there are athletes who never settle for anything else, but a win no matter how little it means. It needs to be pointed out again this team has taken off many games in the regular season for a number of years hence the here we go again comments. I really believe that Eakins will not put up with this crap once the season begins. He clearly was upset the players did not show up last night and to me about ffing time. I don't care if the fans of that building do not fill it out or are not "real fans". As a coach you want to at least see your players care and the impression I got was many of them just blew the game off.

hmminvisiblecola1279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 11:35 AM
  #99
Gord
Batfink!
 
Gord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,989
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF View Post
Get real. Professional athletes are people doing a job. They're allowed to have days when they're more into the job than others. You think if the Stones had to play a show for free to some curling rink full of hicks who didn't know their songs, they'd give the same effort as they would when playing to 100,000 screaming Stones fanatics who all paid top dollar? Give me a break
you know, you're trolling too hard to make it worth wasting my time.
I'll stick to people who understand what being a professional means.

have a good day, all.
stay warm if you're going to the esks game.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 11:43 AM
  #100
NAF
Beauty Fakes
 
NAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,025
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahelix View Post
A bunch of our guys were gainfully employed for half the season last year in OKC. It certainly was "their" fan base at the time, and they have all said they enjoyed their time down there. Who cares if they "don't get paid" for the pre-season games? In fact, who is to say that they are not being paid? Playing pre-season is part and parcel of being a professional athlete.

Did Gretzky or Jordan neglect to show up for camp and just send a letter saying "I'm the best, If you're not paying me for every game then I'm not going to be there." This isn't just PRACTICE, man. We're not just talking about practice.
Ha! Well, I'd argue that last night's game was even less important than practice.

<mod edit>


Last edited by s7ark: 09-28-2013 at 01:11 PM.
NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.