HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

(HF Story) EDM/MIN game

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2003, 10:27 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
(HF Story) EDM/MIN game

Just posted for you.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...readed&order=0

Old
09-28-2003, 10:35 AM
ZIM

vCash:
Good report!! You're giving Brownlee a run for his money. His report on the game was quite good as well.
Reports that tell it like it is, both the good and the bad, enhance our perceptions of the game.

Old
09-28-2003, 10:47 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Another great job. I really see a job being offered your way sometime soon. Hope you don't forget about us

Old
09-28-2003, 11:12 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Good story. But I'm curious Guy... from what you've seen is it Stoll or Sarno. IMO I think Sarno makes sense as he can help the powerplay, and Stoll will be able to get lots of minutes in the AHL.

Old
09-28-2003, 11:22 AM
Lowetide

Excellent article, Guy. These are very important games AND post games. Having you there is invaluable.

Old
09-28-2003, 05:59 PM
IceDragoon

Good stuff!!! Thanx for your insight Guy.

Old
09-28-2003, 09:25 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Thanks everybody.

Old
09-28-2003, 10:08 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
Thanks everybody.
If you had to pick, would it be Stoll or Sarno? You've seen the most and talked to them the most, you'd have as good opinion as any non coach/player in the world on this situation.

Old
09-29-2003, 07:29 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
If you had to pick, would it be Stoll or Sarno? You've seen the most and talked to them the most, you'd have as good opinion as any non coach/player in the world on this situation.

I think they want Stoll to be the guy. It might depend on whether or not Ryan Smyth does play centre or not. If Stoll can have ice time then I thnk he'll stay but if he's got to play behind Smyth, York, Horcoff and Reasoner... then I think they send him down to get time in Toronto.

Sarno I don't think will beome much better than he is now if he plays in the AHL again. For him to improve he needs to play in the NHL. But, because he's older and more experienced than Stoll, sitting for periods of time in the press box probably won't affect him as badly as it might Stoll.

So to answer your question... Stoll IF there's room in the starting rotation. Sarno if there isn't.

Old
09-29-2003, 07:59 AM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [size=1
GuyF][/size]So to answer your question... Stoll IF there's room in the starting rotation. Sarno if there isn't.

An excellent observation and fine analysis. The real question then is why not get Smytty back to left wing and Stoll ensconced at 4th line center?

Old
09-29-2003, 08:24 AM
Mr Sakich

guyF, I have read that the oilers pretty much want to have theri line-up in place for the last two games. Does this mean that vancouver's game is the last chance for the guys on the bubble? Will there be 4-5 guys sent down wednesday morning?

Old
09-29-2003, 08:29 AM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYLer
[/size]
The real question then is why not get Smytty back to left wing and Stoll ensconced at 4th line center?
One answer might be that they prefer to have both Torres and Chimera in the lineup instead of one of those 2 guys and Stoll,if that's what the choice comes down to.

Old
09-29-2003, 09:15 AM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
speeds[/b]]One answer might be that they prefer to have both Torres and Chimera in the lineup instead of one of those 2 guys and Stoll,if that's what the choice comes down to.
My starting lineup for the next couple of preseason games:

Smytty, Horcoff, Hemski
Isbister, York, Dvorak
Chimera, Reasoner, Pisani
Torres, Stoll, Laraque

Rita, Sarno are extras

Cross and Brewer
Semenov Smith
Bergeron Staios

Ferguson is 7th Dman

Trade Moreau and Comrie and get another defensemen.

Old
09-29-2003, 10:05 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
[/size]
An excellent observation and fine analysis. The real question then is why not get Smytty back to left wing and Stoll ensconced at 4th line center?

Because so far, the line of Izzy-Smyth-Hemsky has been the best one for the Oilers. Certainly good enough to try it in the regular season. And like Speeds points out... moving Smyth back to LW bumps either Chimmer or Raffi out of the starting line up too.

Old
09-29-2003, 10:10 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor dyck
guyF, I have read that the oilers pretty much want to have theri line-up in place for the last two games. Does this mean that vancouver's game is the last chance for the guys on the bubble? Will there be 4-5 guys sent down wednesday morning?
We were told last week in Jasper that there would be cuts following the Minneosta game. That changed because of all the injuries.

I would expect that Bobby Allen will get to play against Vancouver and then get send down to Toronto after that game along with Valiquette and maybe even Luoma (if Brewer is close to returning).

I think Rita, Wright and Salmo are competing for one of the press box seats and for political reasons I think Rita gets it. Sarno or Stoll get the last spot and like I said, I don't know for sure yet who gets that one.

I don't expect all the cuts to be done after the Vancouver game though. I haven't talked to anybody since Saturday night so I might be out of the loop but, It wouldn't surprise me if the two forward spots weren't decided until after the first CGY game on Thursday night.

Old
09-29-2003, 10:13 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
My starting lineup for the next couple of preseason games:

Smytty, Horcoff, Hemski
Isbister, York, Dvorak
Chimera, Reasoner, Pisani
Torres, Stoll, Laraque

Rita, Sarno are extras
Unless you think Rita and Sarno are guaranteed to be on the Oilers this October, there is no way they sit out. Well maybe I shouldn't say no way but it wouldn't make any sense to me. Until they get cut, I think the prospects have to play.

Old
09-29-2003, 10:18 AM
barto

Quote:
Because so far, the line of Izzy-Smyth-Hemsky has been the best one for the Oilers. Certainly good enough to try it in the regular season. And like Speeds points out... moving Smyth back to LW bumps either Chimmer or Raffi out of the starting line up too.
Yeah, I was going to say that perhaps the Oilers consider Smyth to be their best first-line center at this point... York at center may work, but perhaps they want him on the 2nd line instead of Smyth/York/Izzy so they can keep Izzy/Smyth/Hemsky together instead.

I'd also agree with the Stoll/Sarno thinking, Guy. But in that case I'd fully expect Stoll to start in Toronto & get a whack of playing time in all situations for a month or two.

Sarno (or maybe even Wright) makes for a better PB guy who can slot in from time to time but play sparingly in-between.

AT least to start (and/or until some kind of trade)!

Bart

Old
09-29-2003, 11:12 AM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
GuyF[/b]]I think the prospects have to play.
I don't think the prospect have to play the next game because the coaching staff have bigger fish to fry. Reasoner, Pisani, and Moreau were all -2 against the "Mild" and tommorrow night at GM Place it's time to test the veterans. We play Van six regular season games this year and 12 divisional points are at stake.

The 'Oil' must be able to beat the Canucks, Avs, Flames, and Wild if we want to finish higher in the standings--teams we struggled with last year. The Copper&Blue can't afford to diddle around with prospects and non-signed players. The focus should be on being decisive and on playing those who are performing. To date the veterans have gotten the free ride. I say let's see how they are playing and if they're not up to the task let's trade'm.

Old
09-29-2003, 11:39 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
I don't expect all the cuts to be done after the Vancouver game though. I haven't talked to anybody since Saturday night so I might be out of the loop but, It wouldn't surprise me if the two forward spots weren't decided until after the first CGY game on Thursday night.
Is there a reason why they wouldn't make all their cuts before the CGY two game set...NHL roster regulations or something...I just think that, because of the changes (Marchant, Cleary, Comrie gone), they would be wise to play more or less the opening night lines and give them a chance to gel...I don't know how gelling can be done in 2 games but it's a start...Last year, they waited until the last possible second to make their cuts...

Old
09-29-2003, 11:43 AM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
I don't think the prospect have to play the next game because the coaching staff have bigger fish to fry. Reasoner, Pisani, and Moreau were all -2 against the "Mild" and tommorrow night at GM Place it's time to test the veterans. We play Van six regular season games this year and 12 divisional points are at stake.

The 'Oil' must be able to beat the Canucks, Avs, Flames, and Wild if we want to finish higher in the standings--teams we struggled with last year. The Copper&Blue can't afford to diddle around with prospects and non-signed players. The focus should be on being decisive and on playing those who are performing. To date the veterans have gotten the free ride. I say let's see how they are playing and if they're not up to the task let's trade'm.
It seems that MacT has been leaning alot towards being ready for the starter pistol this season. Something alot of Oiler fans were upset about last year.

I remember this site about 10-12 games in last year. Alot of people had alot of questions and rumblings about a camp ending in December yada yada. The team seemed miles away from settling in.

MacT would juggle the starting roster........the Oilers would get scored on at the end of the period, and he would be trying something else every 10 minutes there after. I have a hunch it was unsettling for alot of regulars. I don't condone experimenting.........but I feel you have to think out your decisions thoroughly and give them a chance. (not refering to mega-experiment of York on PP point though.....lol) One period isn't enough time.

I think a quick start is essential this season. Along with inter division games as you mentioned.

I feel the staff should already have a good idea who they want to start the season with now. This "going down to the last wire" thing every camp is a little over blown in my opinion. They know who's going to Toronto.

I say tune the engine NOW.

A change of heart 3 weeks from now is solved by 2 plane tickets a pop.

Old
09-29-2003, 01:42 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
Is there a reason why they wouldn't make all their cuts before the CGY two game set...NHL roster regulations or something...
No there are no rules that say you have to be down to a certain number of players by any date (except the 23 man roster once preseason is done). The only really good reason I can give you for them not icing their game 1 roster is injuries.

Right now Ryan Smyth, Georges Laraque and Eric Brewer are day-to-day. While those guys are out, why not fill those spots with the guys you are still picking from?

Old
09-29-2003, 02:11 PM
OYLer

From my point of view Ferguson draws in for Brewer.

Put Rita (who shoots right) on the right side in place of Laraque. Moreau goes into 3rd line and Chimera gets a shot on the 1st line for Smytty. If Dvo's not back play Salmelainen (he shoots right as well) on right wing. If that not working switch Izzy with Salmelainen because Brad shoots right as well. We have alot of right shooting left wingers?

But if the big boys are healthy they need to play!

Old
09-29-2003, 04:28 PM
hockeyaddict101

Just watched the news

Quote:
No there are no rules that say you have to be down to a certain number of players by any date (except the 23 man roster once preseason is done). The only really good reason I can give you for them not icing their game 1 roster is injuries.

Right now Ryan Smyth, Georges Laraque and Eric Brewer are day-to-day. While those guys are out, why not fill those spots with the guys you are still picking from?
Laraque will play tomorrow and MacT plans to play him the rest of the pre-season.

Smyth is out until the weekend but will be ready for opening night.

Old
09-29-2003, 04:43 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Put Rita (who shoots right)
Sorry, he shoots left.

He has always shot left.

To my knowledge he never, EVER shoots right. Ever.

A couple of sites have him shooting right. It's all lies and deceit.

I apologize for being facetious here, but this urban myth needs to DIE.

Old
09-29-2003, 05:17 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Sorry, he shoots left.

He has always shot left.

To my knowledge he never, EVER shoots right. Ever.

A couple of sites have him shooting right. It's all lies and deceit.

I apologize for being facetious here, but this urban myth needs to DIE.
take a Rita picture, and flip it so he's shooting right... then put it in your avatat!!! lol

Closed Thread