HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Way around the no re-signing bought out players

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2005, 02:20 PM
Empireshark

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
I personally do not see that as a bad thing ..

It is not the responsibility of players to make cap room for the owners to ice competitive teams .. If that is not possible then the CBA is to blame that they negotiated ..

It actually protects the players from owners that may want to use brass knuckles and tactics to get players to restructure or use fan pressure to achieve it ..

This way its nice an clean.. No need asking because its not possible ..

Now it unfortunately means rather then give the player like a Nolan an opportunity to stay with his team ,and a buyout is almost a given now .. But the NHLPA with say money in hand and the opportunity to sign elsewhere means more money to the players ..
Aren't you the same guy that suggested that JFJ should try and talk the leaf players into taking a 50% pay cut because they are "so close" to being cup contenders?

Old
07-12-2005, 02:20 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilsson Schmilsson
thanks for proving my point about leafs fans having no honour.
Alert alert.

A ***D*()+(**Dk has entered Leaf land.

Old
07-12-2005, 02:22 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
Alert alert.

A ***D*()+(**Dk has entered Leaf land.
What the heck!

I can't call someone a ***D*()+(**Dk ?

Old
07-12-2005, 02:38 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empireshark
Aren't you the same guy that suggested that JFJ should try and talk the leaf players into taking a 50% pay cut because they are "so close" to being cup contenders?
Now that rules have changed due to the negotiations I am working on a new plan.

With the UFA dropping drastically, Leafs can go another direction and utilize some of these NHL teams as our feeder/development system for us.

How old is Theodore and when does he become a UFA ??

Our goalie is aging and so I thought we would be looking into a replacement soon?.

Old
07-12-2005, 02:41 PM
Empireshark

Well you should have a good chance of signing him, because like everyone else in the league, he loves the leafs so much that he would considerably drop his wage expectations to play on a leafs team which will probably always be at or near the cap limit.

Oh no wait, it will be the extra nice training facility that will entice him to sign with the leafs. My guess is that that will probably factor into your "new" plan.

Old
07-12-2005, 02:44 PM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilsson Schmilsson
thanks for proving my point about leafs fans having no honour.

Is it really your position that teams in huge hockey markets (with market exclusivity clauses, that is. oh, whoops, does that blow your "successful business operation" notion out of the water?) should have all of the best players? Sounds like that would be a really fun league. What's the end-game buddy?

So apparently do (some) Leafs fans not only lack honour, they lack foresight as well.
So, cornering a market is a bad plan of operation for business? Riiiiiiight. And I'm sure Bill Gates would be as much a billionare if he originally opted for windows to be open source.

How about, if you are actually a fan of one of these non traditional hockey market teams you get off you ass, and attempt to get a few friends involved in the sport, get them to accompany you to the arena and support the franchise, rather than ask us (the fans of the succesful franchise) to assist in your arena admission by forking over a percentage of our absurd (but admittedly marketable) ticket price.

Old
07-12-2005, 02:45 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Well you should have a good chance of signing him, because like everyone else in the league, he loves the leafs so much that he would considerably drop his wage expectations to play on a leafs team which will probably always be at or near the cap limit.
Don't worry yet ..

He is only a backup backup plan .. Marty Brodeur and Roberto Luongo are also about to hit the UFA soon ..

Theo is not all that great, he is just a backup plan, in case we can't find a real goalie..

We are interested after all of building a successful team ..

Old
07-12-2005, 02:46 PM
Empireshark

Quote:
Don't worry yet ..

He is only a backup backup plan .. Marty Brodeur and Roberto Luongo are also about to hit the UFA soon ..

Theo is not all that great, he is just a backup plan, in case we can't find a real goalie..

Ya I can see all the french canadian goalies lining up to play for toronto.

Old
07-12-2005, 02:50 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Good to hear you think they are all lining up to play for Canada's team ..

I suspected as much but thanks for confirming it, because Leafs fans always get grief when we say it and then it happens ..

I guess it nice that they are bilingual, but I really don't think they will use it very often in Toronto ..but I always love hearing "eh but" when the puck goes in the Habs net.

Old
07-12-2005, 02:54 PM
Empireshark

I've got to start coming to the leafs site more often. It's like the logic free wishful thinking zone. You guys are hilarious!!!

Old
07-12-2005, 02:58 PM
Volcanologist
Used Register

Quote:
Why is it that I only ever hear Leaf haters making this claim?

Old
07-12-2005, 03:00 PM
Empireshark

Is this the only forum where fans are constantly looking for loopholes to sign away other teams players rather than develop there own or are there any others because I'm really having a good time here?

Old
07-12-2005, 03:02 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
I've got to start coming to the leafs site more often. It's like the logic free wishful thinking zone. You guys are hilarious!!!
Sure come by any time .. Us highly educated Leaf fans don't mind sharing our wealth of knowledge with the underprivileged ..

We are already giving out our players and revenue sharing money to these unfortunate teams .. Passing on knowledge is just more charity that we are well accustomed to.

You should see how many of your Hab buddies stop by now already for the free advice.

Old
07-12-2005, 03:02 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:

Oh no wait, it will be the extra nice training facility that will entice him to sign with the leafs. My guess is that that will probably factor into your "new" plan.
No you misunderstand.

Leafs have no one young enough to worry about contracts beyond next year.

Leafs will be without obligation to any player.

Leafs won't have to make qualifying offers to anyone because they have no prospects they have to protect.

Leafs will only be interested in buying 27 year old players from other teams.

Only going with 2 top lines, 4 top defenders and prospects who can't get signed anywhere else so absolutely no reason to pay more than minimum ever, except for those 27 year old UFA's.

Old
07-12-2005, 03:06 PM
Empireshark

Quote:
Sure come by any time .. Us highly educated Leaf fans don't mind sharing our wealth of knowledge with the underprivileged ..

We are already giving out our players and revenue sharing money to these unfortunate teams .. Passing on knowledge is just more charity that we are well accustomed to.

You should see how many of your Hab buddies stop by now already for the free advice.
I'm just interested in the advice on getting my team to take a 50% paycut for now, but if I see anything else interesting I'll let you know.

Old
07-12-2005, 03:08 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
I'm just interested in the advice on getting my team to take a 50% paycut for now, but if I see anything else interesting I'll let you know.
It will be more difficult in such a high tax area like Quebec.

Old
07-12-2005, 03:10 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
Why is it that I only ever hear Leaf haters making this claim?
In fact sometimes sportswriters from other cities themselves acknowledge it as well in their articles.

Quote:
BOSTON GLOBE: reported this past Sunday

"Joe Thornton: Joe Thornton is a restricted free agent, who reportedly wants free of Jeremy Jacobs, and the Boston media. Rumors have floated around involving Toronto, and Florida. Apparently Thornton would love to play in Toronto, especially now that Quinn has re-signed, but it can't happen due to the amount of cap space available right now. Florida seems logical, the GM is Mike Keenan, his old coach in Boston, don't be surprised if we see some top prospects go the other way, I believe the names of Jay Bouwmeester and Steve Weiss came up last year."
Its a rumour so take it for what it is worth .. However I have filed it away for 2 years when Little Joe becomes a UFA.

Old
07-12-2005, 03:13 PM
Empireshark

You might want to take note to the part of the article which states "it can't happen due to the amount of cap space available right now". That's the part most leaf fans seem to disregard.

Old
07-12-2005, 03:19 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
You might want to take note to the part of the article which states "it can't happen due to the amount of cap space available right now". That's the part most leaf fans seem to disregard.
In two years the Leafs will have tonnes of cap space, and no worries about fans paying for the cap.

Old
07-12-2005, 03:19 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
See you are falling behind already ..

According to recent rumours floating around, renegotiating current contracts will not be allowed in the new CBA.

You Hab fans have to stop living in the past .. Move on , no use dwelling on things that were but rather focus on things that will be.

Mayor Mac put it best ...." Habs fans in their minds had a great past and a bright future, they just can't seem to find a decent present".

Old
07-12-2005, 03:21 PM
Empireshark

Quote:
See you are falling behind already ..

According to recent rumours floating around, renegotiating current contracts will not be allowed in the new CBA.

You Hab fans have to stop living in the past .. Move on that seems to be in the past, no use dwelling on things the were but rather focus on things that will be.

Mayor Mac put it best ...." Habs fans in their minds had a great past and a bright future, they just can't seem to find a decent present".

Well said ! I'll let you get back to that thriving accounting practice now, heaven forbid you take time off to visit a message board during business hours.

Old
07-12-2005, 03:22 PM
Mat

Send a message via AIM to Mat Send a message via MSN to Mat
Quote:
That's the part most leaf fans seem to disregard.
no, its just the leaf haters that assume we disregard it. most of the threads here are pretty logical. people will say things like bringing in luongo in a few years, and leaf haters will go "YOU HAVE NO CAP SPACE DUMMY!" but realistically, by the time roberto becomes a UFA, belfours contract will be off and itll be an entirely new financial environment
especially if the cap limit rises along with revenues

Old
07-12-2005, 03:23 PM
Volcanologist
Used Register

Quote:
You might want to take note that this is an ARTICLE, in a NON-TORONTO paper, claiming that a player would like to play for the Leafs.

Old
07-12-2005, 03:24 PM
mydnyte

Quote:
In fact sometimes sportswriters from other cities themselves acknowledge it as well in their articles.

Its a rumour so take it for what it is worth .. However I have filed it away for 2 years when Little Joe becomes a UFA.
...comes in handy to have them rather than google them when we need to show that we almost had players like Lecavalier ...I'm still shaking my head at the thought of having picked him up so cheaply.

Old
07-12-2005, 03:26 PM
mydnyte

Quote:
Potvin never wanted to leave. ...but seriously, there are only 2 'good' french canadian goalies in the league anyways ...oh, wait, Roy retired ...make that one.

Closed Thread