HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumour and Trade Proposal Thread XXVII - Draft & Free Agency Coming Soon!

Closed Thread

Old
06-16-2014, 03:27 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

vCash: 500
Rumour and Trade Proposal Thread XXVII - Draft & Free Agency Coming Soon!

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1676015
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1664247
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1653217
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1632839
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1684555

Draft and Free Agency....CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

Rumors:

Coburn + Schenns on Trading Block

Oilers might shop 3rd overall

Oilers looking for 2C

Stauffer hinting "Young Puck-Moving Dman not on Rumor Boards possibly up for grabs"

Kulemin + Grabovski a signing pair. Could fit the Oilers Payroll.

etc.

Last edited by Paralyzer: 06-16-2014 at 03:50 PM.
Old
06-16-2014, 03:40 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

I like the idea of the Oilers getting Coburn, I think he makes a great stop-gap for the Oilers' young guys development, but the price has to be right, because he's not that good of a player overall.

Old
06-16-2014, 03:41 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 361
I like this thread title better than the last one.

I hope they don't trade the pick. The Oilers aren't making the playoffs next year.

This draft could be wild in terms of trades. Thursday and Friday could be non stop trade action.

Old
06-16-2014, 03:42 PM
Ghostbuster
#FireEakins

vCash: 625
Coburn would be okay.

But in a ideal world that's what Petry will be.

Old
06-16-2014, 03:44 PM
Mr Sakich

the only way we are making a deal with Philly is if Ekblad falls to #3. The only way this is possible is if a team like the canucks gets the #1 in order to draft Sam R.

Buffalo probably takes bennet, ekblad is there at 3.

Old
06-16-2014, 03:45 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Polaris GTFO my comp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixed to Ruin View Post

I hope they don't trade the pick. The Oilers aren't making the playoffs next year.

This draft could be wild in terms of trades. Thursday and Friday could be non stop trade action.
Yes time to lock up that poorly named puppy up.

Old
06-16-2014, 03:47 PM
Oilception

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
Coburn would be okay.

But in a ideal world that's what Petry will be.
I think having 2 Petrys would benefit us greatly!

Old
06-16-2014, 03:53 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilception View Post
I think having 2 Petrys would benefit us greatly!
Can we handle that many own-goals each season?

Old
06-16-2014, 03:55 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

So, Ray Whitney will be a UFA. I'm not saying he fills any major need (but would provide depth), I just think a veteran like him might be a good influence around the younger guys on the team. Just a thought.

Old
06-16-2014, 03:59 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

I like the idea of obtaining Coburn + B.Schenn and signing Markov, Kulemin, and Grabovksi

Old
06-16-2014, 04:03 PM
hallsyoilerforever

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePeoplesChampion View Post
I like the idea of obtaining Coburn + B.Schenn and signing Markov, Kulemin, and Grabovksi
Definitely Kulemin and Grabovski should be 2 targets that Mac T pursue. I'll like Stralman, Moss, or Winnik as well. I'll be ecstatic if somehow Stastny would come here, but I doubt it.

Old
06-16-2014, 04:05 PM
topchowda

we need to get the idea of B Schenn out of our heads. He is a average 2c, thats it. Theres are other options. All 3 centers have higher upsides than Schenn. I cant wait till we get Schenn and trade Gagner, and Gagner goes on to be a better center.

Gagner has the same point totals, and the only thing Schenn has on him is physicality. Schenn is not good defensively, so this myth needs to stop

If we are trading the pick, we need to be targeting Couturier. All 3 centers in this draft have his upside, or higher upside

And Luke Schenn is an average bottom pairing D, we can find a better option on the last day of FA if need be. He is the definition of a replacement level D.

If I wanted the Schenns id offer Gagner + Perron or something.

Or just Gagner for L. schenn straight up. Draft LD for 2c

Old
06-16-2014, 04:07 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
we need to get the idea of B Schenn out of our heads. He is a average 2c, thats it. Theres are other options. All 3 centers have higher upsides than Schenn. I cant wait till we get Schenn and trade Gagner, and Gagner goes on to be a better center.

Gagner has the same point totals, and the only thing Schenn has on him is physicality. Schenn is not good defensively, so this myth needs to stop

If we are trading the pick, we need to be targeting Couturier. All 3 centers in this draft have his upside, or higher upside

And Luke Schenn is an average bottom pairing D, we can find a better option on the last day of FA if need be. He is the definition of a replacement level D.
This is my thought, the problem is people still see Brayden Schenn as that kid that played in the World Juniors, not the kid who's been in the NHL-ish, for 3 years and put up 20-20 last year.

I think he can be good, but he's not the same level of "prospect" as he used to be.

Old
06-16-2014, 04:12 PM
Jet Walters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
So, Ray Whitney will be a UFA. I'm not saying he fills any major need (but would provide depth), I just think a veteran like him might be a good influence around the younger guys on the team. Just a thought.
Yes adding 42 year old, 5'10" 180 pound Whitney is just what this team needs. If we throwing out crazy UFA ideas how about adding a vet that actually brings a few elements we lack. Throw 6m at Iginla for 1 year.

Old
06-16-2014, 04:12 PM
Beerfish

We better not over pay for Coburn that is all I can say. He's an upgrade but we seemed to be totally focused on him last year when Holmgren seemed to try to play us.

Old
06-16-2014, 04:13 PM
rosemount289

I have to...............???

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post

If I wanted the Schenns id offer Gagner + Perron or something.

Or just Gagner for L. schenn straight up. Draft LD for 2c

I have to agree...........Put Gagner on a good, winning team with large, skillful wingers and Sam will play like the skillful center that he is..........!!!

Last edited by rosemount289: 06-16-2014 at 04:15 PM. Reason: more info
Old
06-16-2014, 04:14 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixed to Ruin View Post

the oilers may partly blow up the rebuild if some of the rumours are true

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
Old
06-16-2014, 04:18 PM
Jet Walters

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
I don't look at it as blowing up the rebuild, more like completing the rebuild. We have an excess of skilled forwards and prospect defense. It is time to balance out our line-up and move forward.

Old
06-16-2014, 04:18 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

You know, I have a feeling MacT will make a trade that NONE OF US will expect. Just like the Perron trade, I have a feeling we will get someone equally as good as Perron this summer. Can't think of anyone in particular, but I think Boston will be a team we might poach on, like we did with St. Louis.

Old
06-16-2014, 04:19 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
We aren't getting Phaneuf or Spezza. We may trade the 3rd overall for something like Schenn or Letang.

I don't think that's blowing up or partly blowing up the rebuild. You can't believe every single rumor you see out there.

Old
06-16-2014, 04:22 PM
Joey Moss

I wouldn't mind the Oilers giving Markov what he's looking for and even more. He'd be a huge addition to the blueline and good for Yak.

Old
06-16-2014, 04:24 PM
DeathbyCheerios

I have a feeling that Edmonton might try and nab Brad Richards. I mean he has struggled and his contract is high but I could see a change of location being good for him. And maybe for the Oilers, also.. we like giving mediocre players a chance so you never know

Old
06-16-2014, 04:25 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
I wouldn't mind the Oilers giving Markov what he's looking for and even more. He'd be a huge addition to the blueline and good for Yak.
2 to 3 years, at $7-ishM, he would have an excellent influence on this team imo. Great fit in the short term.

Old
06-16-2014, 04:29 PM
robbiezyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
His Shoulder will break the second he finishes signing the contract

Old
06-16-2014, 04:33 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Dan is analyst from Darkhorse Analytics who works for the Edmonton Oilers.

One of the things Dan's group is working on is a model to predict who the Oilers should draft. His team worked through previous drafts and using his model showed that the Oilers should have drafted Logan Couture rather than Sam Gagner at 6th overall. His model would have picked better NHL players than the Oilers actually did - sadly I don't have his specific examples with me. His model is also completely proprietary, I wonder if it's better than "pick the player with the most points" model that Rhys J wrote about here? Another thing Dan mention was the vast majority of players drafted are very tall, however the average NHL player's height is only 6'1". In other words, height does not guarantee NHL success.

Dan spoke about some of the hits, misses, and failures his analytics team had this season.
Hit: Trading Magnus Paajarvi and a 2014 second-round draft pick for David Perron was a great move.
Miss: Some player they drafted had a bad year because he was injured. I'm not sure you can call this a miss because no analytics or scout or any method can predict how someone will get injured in a hockey game.
Failure: Devan Dubnyk. All the stats showed he should be at least average if not above average at stopping the puck. What happened?
It seemed like some of the Oilers fans in the audience were skeptical of Dan's claims - after all, they did pick up Gazdic on waivers.
http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/20...ference-yeehaw

Thought this was interesting.

Closed Thread