HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Eskimos thread meet Devon Bailey Eskimo Latest draft pick

Old
11-05-2013, 05:52 PM
Stoneman89

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
We have the worst offensive skill playesr in the league. If you can't see that, I cannot help you bro.
If you honestly believe Adarius Bowman is one of the worst offensively skilled players in the CFL, I think you're the one that might need some help, dude. And according to several other posters on here that have commented on your post, it looks like I'm not alone in that opinion.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 05:57 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Maybe I'm totally out to lunch. Dunno.

I just hope Hervey brings in some offensive talent.
Ya think?

Old
11-05-2013, 06:01 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
One would think that the rapidly declining attendance would be enough to get the Boards attention. I would think that when the decision was made to hire a man whose experience was in Brand Marketing the expectation was that attendance would rise. Instead it has started to fall off a cliff. That in itself should make it obvious to the Board that his hiring was a mistake. His poor decision to put promotions ahead of the football team is also inexcusable and worthy of dismissal all by itself.

I believe Rhodes did such a spiffy job at his last bit of employment before this, that he was fired for it. Perhaps some bright person on here can find that out and confirm it.

Old
11-05-2013, 06:48 PM
MoneyGuy

This is laughable. Bowman is an elite receiver and anyone who says he's lousy hasn't been paying attention. He's a gem and I'm glad he's here. I can't believe this even in dispute.

MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 07:05 PM
esks123

Quote:
Maybe I'm totally out to lunch. Dunno.

I just hope Hervey brings in some offensive talent.
You are out to lunch and based on your comments you probably only watch a game or two each season.

esks123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 09:16 PM
abootzky

I recommend all Eskimos fans (both proponents and detractors of Ed Hervey) who haven't done so, listen to the GM's interview with Jason Gregor from Tuesday's show. It may or may not change your mind about the guy but it's sure interesting to hear how much more forthcoming Hervey is talking to a media member with whom he is comfortable.

Here's the link: http://www.jasongregor.com/category/archive-shows/

abootzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 11:15 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
I recommend all Eskimos fans (both proponents and detractors of Ed Hervey) who haven't done so, listen to the GM's interview with Jason Gregor from Tuesday's show. It may or may not change your mind about the guy but it's sure interesting to hear how much more forthcoming Hervey is talking to a media member with whom he is comfortable.

Here's the link: http://www.jasongregor.com/category/archive-shows/
Long, but good interview. Several times he bit his tongue harshly, trying not to throw Reed under the bus, but it was obvious he didn't like a lot of stuff that went on this year. This team badly needs to remove the chaos from the sidelines during games going forward.

Old
11-06-2013, 11:27 AM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Long, but good interview. Several times he bit his tongue harshly, trying not to throw Reed under the bus, but it was obvious he didn't like a lot of stuff that went on this year. This team badly needs to remove the chaos from the sidelines during games going forward.
Haven't listened to the interview, but if Hervey didn't like a lot of stuff that happened this year, why did he wait until after the season to fire a coach that was obviously brutal?

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 11:28 AM
Gord
Tesla

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Haven't listened to the interview, but if Hervey didn't like a lot of stuff that happened this year, why did he wait until after the season to fire a coach that was obviously brutal?
so he wouldn't have to justify the contract extension provided to a coach he fires 3 games later?

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 11:43 AM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
so he wouldn't have to justify the contract extension provided to a coach he fires 3 games later?
Which just brings up the question why he got that extension in the first place after a demoralizing loss at home to start the season.

I was behind the Hervey hire, but he hasn't done anything to inspire confidence this season. Reed should have never been extended and a new coach should have been found after week 3 or 4 at the latest.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 11:57 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Which just brings up the question why he got that extension in the first place after a demoralizing loss at home to start the season.

I was behind the Hervey hire, but he hasn't done anything to inspire confidence this season. Reed should have never been extended and a new coach should have been found after week 3 or 4 at the latest.
Not defending the decision, but in the Gregor interview, Hervey said the contract extension had been agreed upon in January, and was only announced in June, after that game. At that point, he obviously thought Reed could get the job done. A lot of us thought he never should have been back, but I think Hervey wanted to give him a mulligan after the **** show with Tillman the year before, so I can sort of understand the reasoning, even though I totally disagree with the decision. Obviously, as the season wore on, it became clear to all, including Hervey, that Tillman's mess was not the sole reason for Reed's issues.

Anyhow, onward and upward. This upcoming year is Hervey's mulligan, in my mind. We'll see how he does bringing in his own coaching staff and if any improvements happen. Mind you, I'm not sure how you can't improve from a 4 win season.

Old
11-06-2013, 12:38 PM
MoneyGuy

I have to say that I came out the Gregor interview a little more respectful of Hervey that I had been. His problem is he's as green as grass and he has very little experience in some of the things that make or break a GM, like the financials and negotiating contracts. Also, don't believe everything that comes out of his mouth.

Moving on....

These guys have been discussed, so I’ll say that it’s very possible that we’ll see either or both of Pasztor and Charles up here one day.

Doug Brown spent three years in the NFL, later becoming a seven-time CFL all-star.

Dave Mudge had two stints in the NFL and also played in NFL Europe. When he came up for eight years as a CFL starter, he was a three-time CFL all-star. He was the CFL’s most outstanding offensive lineman one year.

Pasztor has started a few games for a terrible Jags team, so you could see him in the NFL for two or three more years. He’s only 23 this month. If he comes up, he COULD be as good - or better - than Chris Morris and Bruce Beaton. If he arrives at age 26 or 27, he’s likely to have a great CFL career.

Charles is likely not a NFL starter - but a situational player at best. Like Pasztor, he’s likely to hang around a few years, then who knows. At 25, I think you'll see Charles in Edmonton by age 28 or 29, maybe sooner.

These marginal players are easily replaced by younger, cheaper guys. Of course, some never make it up here but these risks are sometimes worth taking when the potential return is very high.

Old
11-06-2013, 01:10 PM
rboomercat90

vCash: 105
I enjoyed the interview. It gave me a bit more confidence in Hervey but I don't really buy the part about Reed's contract extension. Doesn't make sense to me that you would wait 5 months to announce that you have an agreement to extend your Head Coach.

rboomercat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 01:12 PM
OilerFan4Life

vCash: 1991
I hope you guys are right and Bowman will be 100% next spring.

I'm liking the passion....Love the CFL but just have been disgusted with the local product since Maciocia

OilerFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2013, 01:15 PM
OilerFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
I enjoyed the interview. It gave me a bit more confidence in Hervey but I don't really buy the part about Reed's contract extension. Doesn't make sense to me that you would wait 5 months to announce that you have an agreement to extend your Head Coach.
funny how sports works that way?

Jeff Ireland, arguably the worst NFL executive, agreed to an extension with the Dolphins in the spring but it wasn't announced until September when they won their first couple of games.

Old
11-06-2013, 01:22 PM
Gord
Tesla

one thing I wonder about Hervey is if he understands salary structure and a players worth, especially in relation to a salary cap.

Isn't he the one who signed Shaw for over 100K and also signed sherritt to an insane $170,000 contract?

Old
11-06-2013, 05:10 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
one thing I wonder about Hervey is if he understands salary structure and a players worth, especially in relation to a salary cap.

Isn't he the one who signed Shaw for over 100K and also signed sherritt to an insane $170,000 contract?
I'm pretty sure he doesn't, and more than those. Getting Rielly was a win, but Shaw and Sherritt were mistakes at those price tags. He blew it by not signing Weldon Brown, maybe our best D-back. He gave up in a good O-lineman, someone we sorely needed as it turned out. I think you'll see more errors as Swerve wasn't grounded in all of the technical details a GM needs to succeed. I'm not saying he can't learn, but he doesn't have all the skills that he needs. It's as if he just wanted to scout and didn't prepare for the chance he might become a GM one day. That was his goal but I don't think he took it seriously.

Ed gave Gregor incorrect info on the trade deadline and how the supplemental draft works. Does that scare anyone?

Old
11-07-2013, 12:02 AM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I'm pretty sure he doesn't, and more than those. Getting Rielly was a win, but Shaw and Sherritt were mistakes at those price tags. He blew it by not signing Weldon Brown, maybe our best D-back. He gave up in a good O-lineman, someone we sorely needed as it turned out. I think you'll see more errors as Swerve wasn't grounded in all of the technical details a GM needs to succeed. I'm not saying he can't learn, but he doesn't have all the skills that he needs. It's as if he just wanted to scout and didn't prepare for the chance he might become a GM one day. That was his goal but I don't think he took it seriously.

Ed gave Gregor incorrect info on the trade deadline and how the supplemental draft works. Does that scare anyone?
Ed didn't know how the CBA worked with regards to publicly dropping a deuce on his own players, so that comes as no surprise.

Hervey will forever be judged by the Reed extension until he proves his worth otherwise. Completely boneheaded and uncalled for, and the timing of the announcement was just a massive middle finger to all the fans who were calling for Reed's head after the opening day debacle. If we'd fired Reed in July we may be talking about getting ready for a playoff game on Sunday. This was the definition of a wasted year because an organization couldn't swallow its pride and admit the fans were correct about Reed's disastrous coaching.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 08:39 AM
Gord
Tesla

Quote:

good points also.

we have to look past the whole who will coach. We all should be worried about all the other things going on in management where Ed Hervey can really hurt this team, and not just in my point about salary structure.

Old
11-08-2013, 01:01 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:

Can you elaborate?

Old
11-11-2013, 11:27 AM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Can you elaborate?
Sorry, Iíve been out of commission a bit. This is what I know.

Trades are allowed up to Dec. 9 (when the protected players are submitted to the league a week prior to the Ottawa draft). Players dealt after the October trade deadline aren't eligible to play until the following season.

Each team protects one quarterback and 10 imports then Ottawa selects two quarterbacks, and one import from each team. Each team protects six Canadians. However, when a club loses a QB to Ottawa, that increases to eight Canadians. I donít recall the particulars around drafting Canadians but Ottawa drafts two from each team.

Before the final phase, each club then may protect six more Canadians (after one is selected from each club) and Ottawa picks a second non-import player from each club.

Ottawa ends up with two experienced QBs, eight experienced Americans (non-quarterbacks) and 16 experienced Canadians.

Old
11-11-2013, 11:28 AM
MoneyGuy

Enjoyed the semi-final games yesterday. This is my favourite time of the season, when games really count. Too bad our guys are done.

Old
11-11-2013, 11:32 AM
OilerFan4Life

Dan LeFevour, who was a stud for central Michigan in college, has to start next week for Hamilton right??

Ottawa will have a plethora of QBs to choose from.

Old
11-11-2013, 01:15 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Dan LeFevour, who was a stud for central Michigan in college, has to start next week for Hamilton right??
I should hope so. Burris was brutal yesterday, which isn't at all surprising. He's never been a big game QB. Would be nice to see Hamilton back in a Grey Cup after a 13 year drought. I thought the East semi was a really good game despite the sloppiness and lack of scoring.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 03:21 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:

Ottawa will have a plethora of QBs to choose from.
Yup, Joseph is probably safe.