HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Official Eskimos thread meet Devon Bailey Eskimo Latest draft pick

Old
11-17-2013, 03:34 PM
HotToddy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Oh timing posts. Royal Ricky Ray anointed at the 20min mark of a football game.

c'mon.

What is Replacement feeling right now? That RR folded like a cheap tent once again at the first sign of heat and wasn't the same ever again in this game once he saw pressure.

RR choked once again in a 2nd half putting up zero pts in the 2nd half and being DOMINATED by whats not even that great a D. This is RR, in a weak division, where argos are first place pretty much by default folding once again in a big game.

lol at the broadcast with one minute left saying RR has been in this situation time and again and he's calm, cool, great, fabulous, blah blah blah. At that exact moment I'm thinking RR will ***** the bed once again in a crucial moment with everything on the line. Sure enough Ray tosses up 3 consecutive lame ass passes in a row for 3 incompletions and turnover on downs.

I didn't think for a moment this game was over even when it was 24-10 because I know perfectly well how hot and cold Ricky Ray is and once his game falls apart its over.

Thats what Replacement thinks.

Cry Ricky Cry. Oh wait, that would require caring enough.

Gotta big laugh at Chad Owens as well going "what do you mean you're not calling that a PI, we're the Argos, this is the CFL, what the hell..."

Salut the Hamilton Ticats going to the Grey Cup!
Guess three Grey Cups isn't enough argument ender for you

Enjoy watching "Mr Heart" Mike Reilly overthrow wideopen Wr's and make terrible red zone decisions as he wills and guts the Eskies to a 6-12 season next year

HotToddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 03:45 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy View Post
Guess three Grey Cups isn't enough argument ender for you

Enjoy watching "Mr Heart" Mike Reilly overthrow wideopen Wr's and make terrible red zone decisions as he wills and guts the Eskies to a 6-12 season next year
3Grey Cups RR. I'm reminded of 6rings with that. This is an 8 team league. With Ray playing on damn good teams for every one of those wins. In a league where most teams are pretenders than contenders each year.

Hey, one of those GC's we don't even get without Jason Maas saving the day in the playoffs and we all know that.

Last season was an atypical year in the west where no teams were really strong. All Argos had to do is be best in the East and not awfully hard to do that.

In anycase the Argos are a powerhouse with the best coaching in decades and RR squandered the one big game against a middle of the road opponent with no respect intended to Burris or the Ticats who manned up. But as we've seen often enough before Ray disappeared. Folded. Choked.

Explain how the great RR accomplished absolutely nothing in the last 35mins of this game.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 04:01 PM
MoneyGuy

I was sort of 50-50 but slightly cheering for Ray and the Argos until I saw the hated Kalif Mitchell and Rob Ford glad handing it with the fans, then flipped over to Hamilton, which has always been my second favourite team. I'm hoping the Ti-Cats win it all.

MoneyGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 04:03 PM
HotToddy

Quote:
3Grey Cups RR. I'm reminded of 6rings with that. This is an 8 team league. With Ray playing on damn good teams for every one of those wins. In a league where most teams are pretenders than contenders each year.

Hey, one of those GC's we don't even get without Jason Maas saving the day in the playoffs and we all know that.

Last season was an atypical year in the west where no teams were really strong. All Argos had to do is be best in the East and not awfully hard to do that.

In anycase the Argos are a powerhouse with the best coaching in decades and RR squandered the one big game against a middle of the road opponent with no respect intended to Burris or the Ticats who manned up. But as we've seen often enough before Ray disappeared. Folded. Choked.

Explain how the great RR accomplished absolutely nothing in the last 35mins of this game.
Ricky Ray took you to the woodshed last year and yet you still have the audacity to not move on

It's called sports Replacement...if you measure the performance of an athlete over 35 minutes you turn into one of those mind numbing argument starters that tell you Peyton Manning isn't clutch, Lebron James isn't elite (oh wait that one is over now) or Dan Marino isn't one of the greatest ballers of all time

He threw for 20 TD's and 2 Ints in 10 games this year with a 77% completion rate...do you have any idea how good that is or can you only concentrate on a 35 minutes chunk?

He threw for over 300 yards today with 2 Td's and a 66% completion rate...numbers good enough to win you probably 85% of the games you play

Enough of your cherry picking

Old
11-17-2013, 04:20 PM
MoneyGuy

@FakeArashMadani: Just gonna go ahead and point out that things went to **** for the Argonauts *RIGHT* as Rob Ford showed up.

Old
11-17-2013, 04:41 PM
Ser Woof
Too proud to beg

vCash: 86
Calgary is handing this game to Sask. Two turnovers after big plays deep in Sask territory turn into TD's against. 28 point swing in this game.

Ser Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 04:49 PM
Q Continuum
You are Wrong

vCash: 691
Good to see the Ti-Cats take out Ray. Hope the Riders can do the same to the Stamps now.

Q Continuum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 04:52 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy View Post
Ricky Ray took you to the woodshed last year and yet you still have the audacity to not move on

It's called sports Replacement...if you measure the performance of an athlete over 35 minutes you turn into one of those mind numbing argument starters that tell you Peyton Manning isn't clutch, Lebron James isn't elite (oh wait that one is over now) or Dan Marino isn't one of the greatest ballers of all time

He threw for 20 TD's and 2 Ints in 10 games this year with a 77% completion rate...do you have any idea how good that is or can you only concentrate on a 35 minutes chunk?

He threw for over 300 yards today with 2 Td's and a 66% completion rate...numbers good enough to win you probably 85% of the games you play

Enough of your cherry picking
Oh, when he Wins a grey cup with excellent clubs that are favored anyway its indication of divinity. When he falls flat on his face again in a playoff game against a very normal Eastern opponent its "Cherry Picking"

Thanks for straightening that up.

Hey, I'll be clear. Its OK for people to applaud RR prematurely during an Eastern final, but apparently not OK for people to to comment on Ray having another playoff disaster. (in the same game) Which he's had more of then GC wins in a pretty ordinary league.

I'm sure Ray, and this board can handle the lumps as well as the applauds for a QB that didn't get much done for this club the last half dozen yrs here.

Yeah, I'd rather have Reilly.

Old
11-17-2013, 04:55 PM
Hockey Nightmare

I wouldn't mind the riders winning this one and having their hearts broken at home. Yes, at home, with rider pride assembled in defeat, self-destructing in the final game. That would smell so so sweet.

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 04:56 PM
Ser Woof
Too proud to beg

Re: Ray... reminds me of the discussions of Jay Cutler on the Denver Broncos forums in mid-late 00's... no point in getting involved in arguments where people are so entrenched in their positions, it's futile to have any sort of an amicable discussion based in reality in regard to the player.

Old
11-17-2013, 05:05 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
Re: Ray... reminds me of the discussions of Jay Cutler on the Denver Broncos forums in mid-late 00's... no point in getting involved in arguments where people are so entrenched in their positions, it's futile to have any sort of an amicable discussion based in reality in regard to the player.
heh. It was your post that elicited my post.

So if you're going to dish, then take the pain. You were applauding Ray prematurely in a game he ends up falling on his face in.

You even singled me out in that post and no worries with that either but damn straight I'm going to respond in kind given the circumstances.

You would too obviously otherwise there wouldn't have been the smack talk.

cheers in anycase and all in good fun I hope.

Ray choked today, brutally, that much is clear.

ps one last thing. This is not about you, not about me, its about a player people have very divisive feelings about and I've gone to the games for decades. A lot of paying faithful at Commonwealth didn't have a lot of faith in RR either. Due to his visual don't care demeanor, tendency to lay down at the sign of pressure, and how his game just comes apart at the seams, theres of course going to be disparate indications of the player.
RR when on, is a very good QB. RR when off his game is a mess. Again we saw the Jeckyl and Hyde routine in one game. We've experienced both variables, you know that, and now the Argos have too. The RR light sometimes goes out in a flash and always been a frustrating thing for a guy that in his moments is pure domination. RR, which one is he. Thats always been the question in my mind. The inconsistency being hard to watch.

Last edited by Replacement: 11-17-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old
11-17-2013, 05:24 PM
Ser Woof
Too proud to beg

Quote:
heh. It was your post that elicited my post.

So if you're going to dish, then take the pain. You were applauding Ray prematurely in a game he ends up falling on his face in.

You even singled me out in that post and no worries with that either but damn straight I'm going to respond in kind given the circumstances.

You would too obviously otherwise there wouldn't have been the smack talk.

cheers in anycase and all in good fun I hope.

Ray choked today, brutally, that much is clear.

ps one last thing. This is not about you, not about me, its about a player people have very divisive feelings about and I've gone to the games for decades. A lot of paying faithful at Commonwealth didn't have a lot of faith in RR either. Due to his visual don't care demeanor, tendency to lay down at the sign of pressure, and how his game just comes apart at the seams, theres of course going to be disparate indications of the player.
RR when on, is a very good QB. RR when off his game is a mess. Again we saw the Jeckyl and Hyde routine in one game. We've experienced both variables, you know that, and now the Argos have too. The RR light sometimes goes out in a flash and always been a frustrating thing for a guy that in his moments is pure domination. RR, which one is he. Thats always been the question in my mind. The inconsistency being hard to watch.
Fair enough. No hard feelings.

The bolded is spot on, no disagreement there. Ray turns into a very average QB when the pressure is ramped up, his time to throw is shortened and opposing defenses can get a few licks in on him. I don't know if he's just mentally fragile (not something that seemed to phase him early on in his career) or if he is just unable to adjust to different looks and defensive schemes. Not that the Argo's had any facet of their game going in the second half but for a guy who is usually accurate even when he's looking rather ordinary, he was uncharacteristically bad at points today.

Old
11-17-2013, 05:24 PM
Ser Woof
Too proud to beg

CFL refs are delusional. Dressler was clearly out of bounds... bushleague CFL reffing at its finest.

Old
11-17-2013, 05:39 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

I am amused everytime the local media here in the UK plays something about the Mayor of TO he is in an Argo jersey--curious to know if they have asked him to stop wearing it yet

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 06:10 PM
HotToddy

Quote:
Oh, when he Wins a grey cup with excellent clubs that are favored anyway its indication of divinity. When he falls flat on his face again in a playoff game against a very normal Eastern opponent its "Cherry Picking"

Thanks for straightening that up.

Hey, I'll be clear. Its OK for people to applaud RR prematurely during an Eastern final, but apparently not OK for people to to comment on Ray having another playoff disaster. (in the same game) Which he's had more of then GC wins in a pretty ordinary league.

I'm sure Ray, and this board can handle the lumps as well as the applauds for a QB that didn't get much done for this club the last half dozen yrs here.

Yeah, I'd rather have Reilly.
Fell flat on his face?? Brutally choked??

The Ticats had the ball for 22+ minutes in the 2nd half despite not getting any turnovers

Basically their strategy was to employ long drives and keep the ball out of the best player on the fields hand, which they managed to do exceptionally

Next year should Ray take some snaps on D and try and force a fumble?

Old
11-17-2013, 06:17 PM
OilerFan4Life

At what point does someone question John Hufnagel?

He won a title as a rookie but every year he's got the top or 2nd best team in the west and chokes in the playoffs.

OilerFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 06:18 PM
OilerFan4Life

Kent Austin, Henry Burris, and Andy Fantuz all returning to Regina to battle the hometown Riders?

Too bad no one in the east will care because this has the makings of one of the most watched Grey Cups ever.

OilerFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 06:24 PM
MoneyGuy

Go, Tiger-Cats.

Please win.

Old
11-17-2013, 06:37 PM
GreatKeith

vCash: 50
Bwahahahaha! Not a Riders fan by any stretch but shutting up Jon Cornhole is something I love.

GreatKeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 06:43 PM
Hockey Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Bwahahahaha! Not a Riders fan by any stretch but shutting up Jon Cornhole is something I love.
One of the worst things is hearing how great that guy is all the time (and don't get me wrong, he is good).

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 06:50 PM
Citrus Fruits

John Cornhole. LOL. Nearly spit out my iced-capp.

Citrus Fruits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 06:51 PM
MoneyGuy

I've never thought that winning the division and hosting a final is an advantage. You sit at home for a week, get cold and take on a team that's at the top of its game. I'd love to see the records of the home teams over the last 20 years.

Go, Tiger-Cats. Please win.

Old
11-17-2013, 07:07 PM
GreatKeith

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Nightmare View Post
One of the worst things is hearing how great that guy is all the time (and don't get me wrong, he is good).
Yeah, half of the Sun's coverage today was about him.

I wonder if that'll be the case tomorrow.

GreatKeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 07:35 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
At what point does someone question John Hufnagel?

He won a title as a rookie but every year he's got the top or 2nd best team in the west and chokes in the playoffs.
Hufnagel should have been fired after Calgary lost to the Eskimos in the 2011 playoffs. He's like Andy Reid, you'll always have good teams in the regular season with him, but you won't win championships.

Why on earth would you employ a pass-heavy offense when you have the league MVP running back? In cold, icy conditions no less. Saskatchewan figured it out. Just feed the ball to Sheets, don't leave it to Durant to screw it up. Hufnagel put it in the hands of Kevin Glenn instead of Cornish and predictably got poleaxed. Sheets had 28 carries, Cornish had 9. Nine!

It's like I've said in here before, former QBs will inevitably overrate the importance of the position as coaches and try to rely on passing when running is almost always more successful. Speaking of ex-QB coaches, funny seeing Milanovic completely ignoring the run all day as well. The Ricky air show looked good early, a different matter altogether when Hamilton decided to start covering receivers in the 2nd half.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 08:32 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Yeah, half of the Sun's coverage today was about him.

I wonder if that'll be the case tomorrow.
Lol.

People will take their snipes. The scope is on Tillman and since he left. Its open season on Tillman, Reed, and Ray. Where was this when the guy was here?

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote