HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Eskimos thread meet Devon Bailey Eskimo Latest draft pick

Old
11-25-2013, 02:48 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
If the WC had any semblance of anything but an offseason last year RR and the Argos wouldn't have won last year. Argos would've got destroyed in this game. Three Western Clubs would've beat the Argos or Ticats probably.

Man...I came on here to say that I thought the Riders were full credit for their Grey Cup win and what do I see?

Replacement still blathering on about Ray.

Do you really think that anyone takes your Ray hyperbole seriously anymore?

Give it up already.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 05:51 PM
HockeyOrDie
Hockey Hockey Hockey

vCash: 500
@sunterryjones:

So Chris Jones is in Edmonton, huh? You read it here first. Expect him to be the new head coach. Press conference about Dec. 10. That is all.

HockeyOrDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 07:46 PM
eskies4life

vCash: 535
The coverage of that Grey Cup was the most biased Grey Cup coverage I have ever seen, glad im not a Hamilton fan because I would be furious.

eskies4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 08:02 PM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1275
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskies4life View Post
The coverage of that Grey Cup was the most biased Grey Cup coverage I have ever seen, glad im not a Hamilton fan because I would be furious.
the way they played, they should spend their fury on themselves for playing like such crap.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 08:31 PM
Expatriate

vCash: 50
As much as it hurts, congrats to the Riders.

Just saw the Martin Short and Tom Hanks interview. our little league isn't so insignificant as some people in TO would like us to believe.

Expatriate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 09:26 AM
OilerFan4Life

So for the football experts, how would you rate the hire of Jones or is it impossible to say because he's never been a HC?

Elite DC at 3 different places...that has to be a huge positive.
Assistant GM...so obviously he'll know how to deal with players better than some of the meatheads we've the last decade.

I guess it'll depend on the staff he can build here. I hope he brings an innovatice OC with him. Our play calling has been garbage forever now.

Also, we have the longest Grey Cup drought in the league now correct?? 2005...every other team has been there at least once since.

OilerFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 09:54 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Man...I came on here to say that I thought the Riders were full credit for their Grey Cup win and what do I see?

Replacement still blathering on about Ray.

Do you really think that anyone takes your Ray hyperbole seriously anymore?

Give it up already.
Where was this post when Ray got his ass handed to him by Burris and the upstart Ticats. lol. Argos on paper far superior squad with best coaching possibly in the history of the league and Ray blows it against the Ticats, a team the Riders played with for fun.

This Grey Cup was over in the first quarter. Would've been funny to see Ray spend all afternoon on his back with rider imprints all over him.

I gave the Riders full credit for the W. I won't give Ray full credit because he **** the bed in yet another playoff tilt. Argos should've put Collaros in in 2nd half. Ray disappears at the first sign of heat. Same thing again.

Bring the heat and he folds like a girly playing against men.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 10:45 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
He's going to Winnipeg, book it.
Problem is, there is no QB in Winnipeg worth coaching.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 11:02 AM
Gord
Go Esks!

Quote:
Where was this post when Ray got his ass handed to him by Burris and the upstart Ticats. lol. Argos on paper far superior squad with best coaching possibly in the history of the league and Ray blows it against the Ticats, a team the Riders played with for fun.

This Grey Cup was over in the first quarter. Would've been funny to see Ray spend all afternoon on his back with rider imprints all over him.

I gave the Riders full credit for the W. I won't give Ray full credit because he **** the bed in yet another playoff tilt. Argos should've put Collaros in in 2nd half. Ray disappears at the first sign of heat. Same thing again.

Bring the heat and he folds like a girly playing against men.
but why bring up the argos and ray when they were not even in the cup? doesn't serve any useful point, other than to continue an old argument.

Old
11-26-2013, 11:22 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
but why bring up the argos and ray when they were not even in the cup? doesn't serve any useful point, other than to continue an old argument.
Exactly.

Old
11-26-2013, 11:28 AM
Krut

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
So for the football experts, how would you rate the hire of Jones or is it impossible to say because he's never been a HC?

Assistant GM...so obviously he'll know how to deal with players better than some of the meatheads we've the last decade.

I guess it'll depend on the staff he can build here. I hope he brings an innovatice OC with him. Our play calling has been garbage forever now.

Also, we have the longest Grey Cup drought in the league now correct?? 2005...every other team has been there at least once since.
The Bombers haven't won since 1990.

Krut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 11:30 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
There is no old argument. Ray is a 3 time cup winner, lead a team that had been stink for years to the cup last year. Was nominated as the Easts MOP despite missing 7 games. There is no argument regarding Ricky Ray as a QB. This is like the Globetrotters vs the Washington Generals with Replacement being the Generals.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 11:31 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post
"Unfinished business!"
"Swaggerville!"

Old
11-26-2013, 11:37 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
There is no old argument. Ray is a 3 time cup winner, lead a team that had been stink for years to the cup last year. Was nominated as the Easts MOP despite missing 7 games. There is no argument regarding Ricky Ray as a QB. This is like the Globetrotters vs the Washington Generals with Replacement being the Generals.
You're right...its really only an argument for Replacement.

Pretty much everybody else has come to terms with the fact that Ray is a quality QB.

Denial keeps pushing Replacementrs Ray agenda to the surface.

Good lord man...just grow a set, admit you are wrong and move on.

Old
11-26-2013, 11:43 AM
OilerFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post
Sorry I should have specified in appearances.

Every team has been to 2 Grey Cups, except Toronto....since Edmonton was last there.

Pretty damning.

Old
11-26-2013, 12:20 PM
Krut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
"Unfinished business!"
"Swaggerville!"
Hahaha that was laughably sad when that "swaggerville" BS was swirling around that team.

They are the Nucks of the CFL. Do nothing forever, then have some minor success and they come up with the most annoying means possible to let everyone know that they're "good."

Krut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 02:36 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Because I apparently have issues..

WE all have our stuff that really grates at us. For some reason RR was that in our sports family. Generational longtime Esks fans that just despised Ray. Everybody in my extended family does. Its even passed on. RIP my dad, as ESK fan of 50yrs who despised having to see years of Ray at the helm in the last years of his life. His view being that Ray had virtually no try, no compete. Would laydown at the first sign of hardship. So theres some sadness to it as well that maybe got passed on in me.

Personal experience specifically aside I can't imagine how bad its been for longtime convalescent fans to have to be watching the clubs Edmonton puts forth now. Its tougher as a lifer fan when you know that it ain't getting better during your time..

Old
11-26-2013, 02:39 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
You're right...its really only an argument for Replacement.

Pretty much everybody else has come to terms with the fact that Ray is a quality QB.

Denial keeps pushing Replacementrs Ray agenda to the surface.

Good lord man...just grow a set, admit you are wrong and move on.
Not so easy as I just described in my post. If you ever watched a football game with my dad, RIP, you'd know what I mean. Indelible memories and swear words involving Ricky Ray.

ps I think IATL don't like Ray at all either.

Old
11-26-2013, 02:40 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Problem is, there is no QB in Winnipeg worth coaching.
Khari's not the brightest bulb. Not sure why we'd want him anyhoo.

Old
11-26-2013, 05:38 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post

I'll give the hire a "B" rating. Definitely the most accomplished co-ordinator they could have brought in.

Still would have preferred LaPolice. Somebody with previous CFL head coaching experience. We haven't hired a coach with previous experience since Don Matthews, and we've been poorly coached by and large since then. But I'd much rather Jones than an American who isn't familiar with the game a la Dan Hawkins. We could have gone and done something really stupid like that.

This is a very important hire with the franchise in such shambles that even long time fans are starting to walk away from them. A guy with no head coaching experience is risky, but there's only one way to get experience. So yeah, I'm on board with Jones, hopefully he brings in somebody solid to run the offense.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 08:17 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Not so easy as I just described in my post. If you ever watched a football game with my dad, RIP, you'd know what I mean. Indelible memories and swear words involving Ricky Ray.

ps I think IATL don't like Ray at all either.
Moving on in this regard is nothing more than a decision.

Spare us all and make it happen.

Speaking of moving on...I am intrigued by the pending Jones hire.
Dont want to paint him with the DC's make bad head coaches brush but there havent really been a lot of DC's finding success as Head coaches in the CFL.

Don Matthews is the only one I can think of off the top of my head. He was pretty good.

That said I really dont know a lot about him.

Is he ready for a HC gig?

Old
11-26-2013, 09:00 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Moving on in this regard is nothing more than a decision.

Spare us all and make it happen.
heh, anything that is grieving related pops up like the wind. Made easier by the pathetic nature of what Edmonton sporting clubs continue to be. Thats a tad depressing in itself. But I think more to the point if the Eskimos were meaningfully involved in any way this season in the post season then theres of course a different focal point. Of course the focal point has reverted again to looking at what other clubs have done. They're the only ones that have been playing into november..

Quote:
Speaking of moving on...I am intrigued by the pending Jones hire.
Dont want to paint him with the DC's make bad head coaches brush but there havent really been a lot of DC's finding success as Head coaches in the CFL.

Don Matthews is the only one I can think of off the top of my head. He was pretty good.

That said I really dont know a lot about him.

Is he ready for a HC gig?
Yeah, I'm on board with Jones although I suspect LaPolice woulda been better. I really like how the latter breaks things down and makes a lot of sense. But given my not too deep understanding of football its possible that he's not much more than Eakins in talking a good talk. I don't know enough about football to really discern. re: hockey I can smell the bs.

Jones I think has been a positive addition wherever he's gone. I look at Stamps as being a better team when he was there, and Argos as well. Milanovich is the real brains in Toronto so interesting to see what Jones comes up with on his own. He'll probably need some good help.

Old
11-27-2013, 08:33 AM
Gord
Go Esks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
I'll give the hire a "B" rating. Definitely the most accomplished co-ordinator they could have brought in.

Still would have preferred LaPolice. Somebody with previous CFL head coaching experience. We haven't hired a coach with previous experience since Don Matthews, and we've been poorly coached by and large since then. But I'd much rather Jones than an American who isn't familiar with the game a la Dan Hawkins. We could have gone and done something really stupid like that.

This is a very important hire with the franchise in such shambles that even long time fans are starting to walk away from them. A guy with no head coaching experience is risky, but there's only one way to get experience. So yeah, I'm on board with Jones, hopefully he brings in somebody solid to run the offense.
A guy with no CFL experience can work, such as Trestman, but he'd need a well run, stable and experienced ball club, in both management and players.
that wouldn't be Edmonton.
Having another rookie, no matter how talented, does worry me.

look at hervey. he has demonstrated many times already his lack of understanding of the rules and regulations of the league, and how to do his job. It doesn't help the CEO also has no football experience. who the heck is hervey learning from?

After 7 years of inept management, I have to question every move they make, no matter how good it may seem.

these last few years, I think that the team would have had better coaching from showing the team videos of Hugh Campbell and Ron Lancaster.

Old
11-27-2013, 09:09 AM
OilerFan4Life

Official:

@cfl_esks5m
BREAKING NEWS: Chris Jones named #Esks head coach. Full details here: http://*******/1hiiplH #CFL

http://www.esks.com/article/chris-jo...monton-eskimos

Old
11-27-2013, 09:47 AM
Beerfish

Well we have our guy. It will be interesting to see who fills out the assistant positions.