HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Official Eskimos thread meet Devon Bailey Eskimo Latest draft pick

Old
11-27-2013, 10:17 AM
MoneyGuy

vCash: 500
I'm glad that this comes early so Jones has his choice of assistants before they are scooped up by other teams. Good move.

MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2013, 10:47 AM
#ualberta

Love that the esks have invited fans to the presser

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2013, 10:54 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1531
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cf...oach-1.2442049

Title updated

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2013, 10:58 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Dave Campbell ‏@Dave_CHED 10m
Chris Jones can get pretty animated on the sidelines. Nothing wrong with emotion as long as it's controlled emotion. #Eskimos #CFL #yeg

lol

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2013, 11:12 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
Love that the esks have invited fans to the presser
Both of them will be thrilled.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2013, 11:19 AM
Stoneman89

There is some comfort in knowing that Jones has some experience as an assistant head coach and player personnel guy, limited as that may be. The biggest hope and importance now is that he gets some quality assistants.

Old
11-27-2013, 11:26 AM
MoneyGuy

I'd have never thought it possible, but Jones may be more emotional and animated than Kavis was/is. Jones wears it out there.

Old
11-27-2013, 11:29 AM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Jones is an interesting hire for you guys.

I'm a little surprised that Hervey went with another DC for head coach, especially after the success with Hall and Reed.

From his attitude on the sidelines in Toronto and Calgary, you can tell he's a firey coach that demands the best of his players.

For the Eskimos sake, I hope he's not another one of those Cortez/Hall/Reed/Stubler types that are better coordinators than they are head coaches.

I'm interested in how the defensive side of the ball will be run in Edmonton from now on. Will Jones have dual roles?

McRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2013, 12:12 PM
IV XIV XCI

so long as he doesn't forget first grade math late in the 4th quarter and maintains a solid grip on the rules of the game when coaching decisions matter most, then we will see an improvement on dear ol' 'wait, we dont get the ball back after a field goal?' kavis

IV XIV XCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2013, 05:16 PM
MoneyGuy

I hated when one listener whined this morning on TSN 1260 when they had the nerve to talk CFL football.

He said he tuned out when hockey wasn't being discussed. I get it that you don't like the CFL, but there are lots of us who do.

Old
11-27-2013, 05:41 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by IV XIV XCI View Post
so long as he doesn't forget first grade math late in the 4th quarter and maintains a solid grip on the rules of the game when coaching decisions matter most, then we will see an improvement on dear ol' 'wait, we dont get the ball back after a field goal?' kavis
LMAO.

Yup, poor Kavis helped the Alouettes to a Grey Cup win in 2009 by his inability to count to 12, and that theme seemed to continue in several botchups here throughout his tenure. I still remember him sending out the punt unit last year without a punter. His screwups have become legend, and not in a good way.

Old
11-27-2013, 05:42 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I hated when one listener whined this morning on TSN 1260 when they had the nerve to talk CFL football.

He said he tuned out when hockey wasn't being discussed. I get it that you don't like the CFL, but there are lots of us who do.
Must have been one those guys from Toronto, hoping for that elusive NFL franchise that will never arrive.

Old
11-27-2013, 06:07 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

When a deal isn't worth the money?

CFL is locked into the TSN deal for another 4 seasons.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle10053800/

What looked like a great deal turns out to be brutal.

lol at TSN as well overbidding for CFL and then subsequently losing the Canadian product that really matters. Heads should fall.

As I speculated in the Rogers thread TSN, and their partners, like the CFL, are going to be hit hard with being now locked out of the NHL (except for two regional markets). What this means is TSN will lose viewers, subscribers, draw, and CFL ratings can go nowhere but down. This in turn will impact TSN's recoup on the CFL deal as payout won't be the same for a lukewarm cable broadcaster that had achieved high market penetration which would now be on a clear downturn.
This will be a slippery slope for both businesses. This means far less CFL exposure, that all the traction they've gained in the marketplace now took one between the eyes.
CFL is really going to get caught in the crossfire on this, that part is unfortunate and I wonder if Cohen would have signed that deal knowing TSN was getting shutout of the only must have sports contract in Canada.

TSN ceased being significant cable channel this week and with that the CFL now has no significant carrier as coverage. I wonder if the CFL can backout given this probably unforeseen event. CFL would be better off with CBC and or going Snet route as well. Its possible that both the CFL and TSN might want to opt out of this deal. TSN might want to consider just folding imo.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2013, 06:10 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Heard Jones on Gregor today. Sounds like a good ol southern boy. Hopefully he makes a difference here. I didn't watch a single eskies game all year thanks to Kavis.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2013, 09:35 PM
rosemount289

Have you check the ratings...???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
When a deal isn't worth the money?

CFL is locked into the TSN deal for another 4 seasons.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle10053800/

What looked like a great deal turns out to be brutal.

lol at TSN as well overbidding for CFL and then subsequently losing the Canadian product that really matters. Heads should fall.

As I speculated in the Rogers thread TSN, and their partners, like the CFL, are going to be hit hard with being now locked out of the NHL (except for two regional markets). What this means is TSN will lose viewers, subscribers, draw, and CFL ratings can go nowhere but down. This in turn will impact TSN's recoup on the CFL deal as payout won't be the same for a lukewarm cable broadcaster that had achieved high market penetration which would now be on a clear downturn.
This will be a slippery slope for both businesses. This means far less CFL exposure, that all the traction they've gained in the marketplace now took one between the eyes.
CFL is really going to get caught in the crossfire on this, that part is unfortunate and I wonder if Cohen would have signed that deal knowing TSN was getting shutout of the only must have sports contract in Canada.

TSN ceased being significant cable channel this week and with that the CFL now has no significant carrier as coverage. I wonder if the CFL can backout given this probably unforeseen event. CFL would be better off with CBC and or going Snet route as well. Its possible that both the CFL and TSN might want to opt out of this deal. TSN might want to consider just folding imo.
I said this in the SNET contract threat..........last weekends CFL game between Calgary and Sask outdrew the HNIC games for Montreal and Toronto.

A CFL game has three times as many eyeballs as a typical NFL game!

rosemount289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2013, 09:53 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemount289 View Post
I said this in the SNET contract threat..........last weekends CFL game between Calgary and Sask outdrew the HNIC games for Montreal and Toronto.

A CFL game has three times as many eyeballs as a typical NFL game!
I'm well aware of CFL ratings. In the past I've been the poster informing critics of the CFL that numbers for that league are much higher than NFL here. The big problem though with CFL as a provider is a short season, and that theres hardly any games in what is a very small league. Even with its current 18 game format there just isn't much content provided. On average 3 point something games/week. You can't butter bread with that. Nothing wrong with the ratings, but a lot wrong with limited amount of product provided.

AS I stated in the other thread, and this one, (not sure how you didn't get the gist of what I'm stating) is that as soon as TSN subscriber numbers start going down (inevitable) CFL viewer numbers go down. Consumers and CRTC have been demanding that cable/sat providers offer more options to select or deselect preferred channels. This is the fray TSN is headed into and without the number big ticket item. The one irreplaceable ticket in Canada. With the NHL providing limitless content.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 01:03 AM
timekeep

I'm glad its Jones, I have wanting him for a couple of years. listened to his presser today, what refreshing change all around: tone, content, knowledge... He will also make Hervey's job easier, he was asst. GM in Toronto and is well connected with the colleges down south.

I haven't given much credit to Hervey, but this is a very good move and refreshing that a HC was hired because of his credentials and not who knows. also, can't see too many of the assistants sticking around, maybe Marshall, hopefully Leroy Blugh.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 01:40 AM
Ser Woof
Too proud to beg

vCash: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post

Unfortunately there are lots of people like that in this city. CFL fans are also guilty of it when NFL is being discussed.

I can't remember the last time I listened to local sports media anyway. Follow too many other leagues and sports that get zero coverage on airwaves up here.

Ser Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 08:30 AM
joestevens29

Who in their right mind has been waking up and thinking about Football the past 5 years or so?

Old
11-28-2013, 08:59 AM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1275
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Who in their right mind has been waking up and thinking about Football the past 5 years or so?
I did once this year.

I think my thought was "thank god this is the last home game of the season"

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 09:04 AM
Mr.Prez
Why not Zoidberg?

vCash: 129
I'm glad that we hired CJ for HC... we're getting away from the "old boys club" mentality but I want to see who the assistants are first and I want to see if we can fix the 4 import sieve which is our O line

Mr.Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 09:45 AM
abootzky

Quote:
When it comes to our local franchises, more often than I've woken up thinking about hockey.

Among several positive things I discovered/remembered about Chris Jones yesterday, I was most happy with the strong Don Matthews connection and that he has been and wants to be involved in player recruiting. Recent seasons have taught me not to be wildly optimistic but I do like this hire.

abootzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 09:53 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
When it comes to our local franchises, more often than I've woken up thinking about hockey.

Among several positive things I discovered/remembered about Chris Jones yesterday, I was most happy with the strong Don Matthews connection and that he has been and wants to be involved in player recruiting. Recent seasons have taught me not to be wildly optimistic but I do like this hire.
I'm at the point where yes it might be a good move, but you have to show me what you got because this city has hired a lot of head coaches/GM's that have said the right things in the past.

Old
11-28-2013, 09:58 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Any well rounded sports fan. One could ask the same thing about the oilers considering they have stunk, provided poor entertainment and have a tit useless front office.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 10:01 AM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Quote:
Dave Campbell ‏@Dave_CHED 10m
Chris Jones can get pretty animated on the sidelines. Nothing wrong with emotion as long as it's controlled emotion. #Eskimos #CFL #yeg

lol
Why would he imply that?

I thought Kavis was very calm, cool and collective.

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote