HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Official Eskimos thread meet Devon Bailey Eskimo Latest draft pick

Old
02-11-2014, 07:47 PM
camboy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
So far, sounds like the Esks bombing out at FA. Signed a couple backup O-linemen and missed out on the plumb, Bourke. Be ready to run for your life again this year, Reilly!
The Esks weren't getting Bourke. Hoping they are looking at Watkins and Jevon Johnson. Surprised that Koch is gone...liked what he brought...good attitude.

camboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 09:43 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by camboy View Post
The Esks weren't getting Bourke. Hoping they are looking at Watkins and Jevon Johnson. Surprised that Koch is gone...liked what he brought...good attitude.
Eskies got Watkins, so that helps missing out on Bourke. Really liked Koch and what he brought, too bad. Good luck to him in Steeltown. Watkins just made our defensive secondary 50 % better.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 09:45 AM
OilerFan4Life

Watkins has signed here for 2 years.

OilerFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 09:52 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Watkins has signed here for 2 years.
Terrific, as far I can tell, he should be a difference maker in the secondary. Adding him to Grimes, Thompson and Burnett, that's a pretty solid group back there.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 12:53 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Terrific, as far I can tell, he should be a difference maker in the secondary. Adding him to Grimes, Thompson and Burnett, that's a pretty solid group back there.
Which ones of those are solid?

Old
02-12-2014, 02:11 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

vCash: 612
Quote:
Fair enough, I guess?

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 02:15 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Fair enough, I guess?
Grimes has potential to be a solid DB, but he's only a 2nd year player, and was injured for 1/2 of last year. Not convinced about Thompson and Burnett though. Thompson gets a few INT's every year, but that's likely because there always throwing his way. Burnett seems to get pushed around by bigger players a lot. Wish we would have given Thompson's money to Weldon Brown.

I think we need at least one more DB to help us.

Old
02-12-2014, 02:18 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Burnett had a great season two seasons ago. Guys like that don't go from really good to really bad overnight. It was coaching and schemes more than player ability. I think Burnett is more like the player two years ago than last year, as long as we don't need him to return all those kicks. Weldon Brown was a big loss, no doubt.

MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 02:34 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Burnett had a great season two seasons ago. Guys like that don't go from really good to really bad overnight. It was coaching and schemes more than player ability. I think Burnett is more like the player two years ago than last year, as long as we don't need him to return all those kicks. Weldon Brown was a big loss, no doubt.
We will find out this year. Best of 3 wins.

Old
02-12-2014, 06:11 PM
oilers4cup
No More Koolade

vCash: 50
@JasonGregor: The @cfl_esks announce another signing...WR Akeem Foster...Good timing, GM Ed Hervey joins me at 5:05 to dicuss recent signings.. #CFL

oilers4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2014, 02:08 PM
MoneyGuy

Cary Koch was Mike Reilly's best friend on the team and Reilly very much wanted him re-signed. It shouldn't affect Reilly, however.

I think Charles' contract was excessive and will hamper us as we try to sign and re-sign guys.

Old
02-13-2014, 04:43 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Cary Koch was Mike Reilly's best friend on the team and Reilly very much wanted him re-signed. It shouldn't affect Reilly, however.

I think Charles' contract was excessive and will hamper us as we try to sign and re-sign guys.
Not a smart move if true. Running backs are replaceable parts, mainly a product of their O-line. Better positions to spend big bucks on IMO.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2014, 05:09 PM
Tyrolean

Quote:

CFL contracts are not guaranteed so if the Esks get a better all purpose tough runner he's gone.

Tyrolean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2014, 05:19 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Not a smart move if true. Running backs are replaceable parts, mainly a product of their O-line. Better positions to spend big bucks on IMO.
It's true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
CFL contracts are not guaranteed so if the Esks get a better all purpose tough runner he's gone.
True, but then there is the risk that you cut Player A who is significantly better than Player B just because of his contract.

Old
02-13-2014, 05:27 PM
Six in O6

Koch was expendible in my opinion. He was and will be a really good reciever, but he didn't figure into our top 2 with Stamps and Bowman. I also didn't think he had as much chemistry with Stamps as was expected. With Chambers and Henry healthy and waiting in the wings, we should be good at reciever. The defense still needs work but Watkins is a great signing.

Six in O6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 12:28 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 5496
Sounds like Munoz signed with Tampa in the NFL.

Good for him, bad for us.

Wonder how many games Money Guy thinks we will win this year?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 12:51 PM
KenLinsemanFanClub
Sorry State

vCash: 1159
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Sounds like Munoz signed with Tampa in the NFL.

Good for him, bad for us.

Wonder how many games Money Guy thinks we will win this year?
Meh, I doubt he'll be missed. The guy couldn't make a tackle to save his life last year. We have better options that cost a whole lot less than what he would have re-signed for here.

KenLinsemanFanClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 04:16 PM
Kyle McMahon

Gregor says we released TJ Hill. That really surprises me. And now I come in here to see Munoz has signed with Tampa. That really sucks. He was one of the top linebackers in the league, probably our best defensive player over the last couple of seasons all things considered. That won't be an easy hole to fill, and makes Hill's release all the more baffling. I thought those guys have been a couple of the few bright spots over the last couple of seasons.

Old
02-18-2014, 06:23 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Gregor says we released TJ Hill. That really surprises me. And now I come in here to see Munoz has signed with Tampa. That really sucks. He was one of the top linebackers in the league, probably our best defensive player over the last couple of seasons all things considered. That won't be an easy hole to fill, and makes Hill's release all the more baffling. I thought those guys have been a couple of the few bright spots over the last couple of seasons.
Yeah you're not alone.

Theres way too much turnover on this club from year to year. Now losing more quality players that played well hurts. Lords knows theres enough that don't play well. Its ironic were a pure ***** club but still someones scouting our talent..drats

This org is run worse than an expansion club. What a joke if Ottawa fielded a better team than us this season.

Not a big fan of losing Koch either. I don't care for Henry too much. Just not a consistent go to target (neither is Koch but better). We gotta hope that Stamps and Bowman stay healthy. Because that's really all our offense right there.

This could be a real bad football club again.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 07:29 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Releasing Hill is surprising, to say the least. I thought with Munoz potentially gone, they had the bases covered with Hill, Sherritt and Rene Curran as the LB's (one of Curran or Sherritt would have had to move outside), and then draft and develop a couple Canadian linebackers. Hervey must have something up his sleeve in regards to some guy they're bringing in.

Old
02-18-2014, 07:58 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Really?

I thought Munoz was absolutely terrible last season for the Eskimos. He takes horrible lines when it comes to tackling and he also missed a ton of tackles this past season. I feel like much of our run defence problems could be attributed to him.

As for Hill, he's a warrior but his time is done. The guy is 34 years old and he started to show signs of rust last season. Our defensive coaching last season was terrible but we needed to make some personnel moves.

Sherritt-Curran is a really solid foundation at linebacker. Under Jones' tutelage, I feel like Curran could be the defensive player of the year in a season or two. I'm guessing we'll be running a 3-4 system this season so I would suspect we'll see a lot more of Samuels (who I really like) and Richard.

02-18-2014, 08:02 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Yeah you're not alone.

Theres way too much turnover on this club from year to year. Now losing more quality players that played well hurts. Lords knows theres enough that don't play well. Its ironic were a pure ***** club but still someones scouting our talent..drats

This org is run worse than an expansion club. What a joke if Ottawa fielded a better team than us this season.

Not a big fan of losing Koch either. I don't care for Henry too much. Just not a consistent go to target (neither is Koch but better). We gotta hope that Stamps and Bowman stay healthy. Because that's really all our offense right there.

This could be a real bad football club again.
This wouldn't surprise me at all. I don't have much Faith in what Hervey is doing.

Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 08:37 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
Really?

I thought Munoz was absolutely terrible last season for the Eskimos. He takes horrible lines when it comes to tackling and he also missed a ton of tackles this past season. I feel like much of our run defence problems could be attributed to him.

As for Hill, he's a warrior but his time is done. The guy is 34 years old and he started to show signs of rust last season. Our defensive coaching last season was terrible but we needed to make some personnel moves.

Sherritt-Curran is a really solid foundation at linebacker. Under Jones' tutelage, I feel like Curran could be the defensive player of the year in a season or two. I'm guessing we'll be running a 3-4 system this season so I would suspect we'll see a lot more of Samuels (who I really like) and Richard.
I've seen some of the same but have to reference that this club had a lot of holes in it last year as well and not helped by guys like Howard not getting on track until the year was over. Plus that the D line was underwhelming at times and did not play to potential either.
In fairness to Munoz he looked better when this was a better D, for instance the previous season. Also that the team seemed to take a longtime to discover Curran who was an obvious fit and were missing Sherrit all year.

Munoz I feel was put into a situation where he's trying to do too much to compensate. The old how do you evaluate a D in hockey when everybody around him is lousy. This was not a very good D last year and two of the better pieces that at least competed are walking.

Theres quite a few who played like they didn't give a crap.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 11:57 PM
camboy

Quote:
Really?

Munoz is in dream world if he thinks he's getting an NFL paycheck.

camboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 12:22 AM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Really?

Some polarizing opinions on Munoz in here, evidently.

I can't claim to have watched every play, and it can be hard to pick out who's contributing and who's a passenger on a 12 man unit. I thought he's looked pretty good most of the time I specifically noticed him over the last couple of years though. Evidently the Buccaneers see something in him.

Speaking of cuts, I'm still waiting for Chris Thompson to get deep six-ed, long overdue IMO.