HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

KHL Expansion part III

Closed Thread

Old
12-26-2013, 06:03 PM
Sucrologist

vCash: 500
The KHL is not a Kontinental Museum League, a history of this or that club should not be an argument in question to allow a club to play in the league or not. The only thing the KHL can care about is team's season finishing, after that it's a job of Spartak to find sponsorship to play in KHL/VHL/MHL. I don't see a club's disbandment as a hit to the image of the league, it is a fault of club management that they had only one sponsor. Spartak can be saved, but it doesn't mean that they will play in the KHL, IMO it's better for them to wait for Arena of Legends and only then join back. Marketing can increase the attendance even in Moscow, its case is not that special compared to sports in London, Istanbul, Madrid and other large cities, Moscow just lacks modern big arenas.

Old
12-27-2013, 12:12 AM
pulverapa

Jesus Christ, just because you fold 3 out of 4 teams in Moscow doesn't mean they will start supporting that team who is left. Moscow is mainly a football city and all of those traditional teams exists in football so no one will give up who they really are.

Old
12-27-2013, 02:51 AM
Persti

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulverapa View Post
Jesus Christ, just because you fold 3 out of 4 teams in Moscow doesn't mean they will start supporting that team who is left. Moscow is mainly a football city and all of those traditional teams exists in football so no one will give up who they really are.
No it doesn't, but I meat that Dynamo is the only club right now with any kind of decent attendance figures. St Petersburg was also mainly football city a couple of years ago, but now they can sell out almost every game in KHL. It should be not that difficult to do same thing in Moscow.

Old
12-27-2013, 03:13 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persti View Post
No it doesn't, but I meat that Dynamo is the only club right now with any kind of decent attendance figures. St Petersburg was also mainly football city a couple of years ago, but now they can sell out almost every game in KHL. It should be not that difficult to do same thing in Moscow.
Exactly its all about the marketing,SKA has one the best if not the best marketing in European hockey,and this is comming from a self-proclaimed SKA hater.

Moscow can and will be hockey city IF they start marketing like SKA did,they got the funds,if the willingness is there i dont see a problem,if LA could become a hockey city,so can Moscow.

Old
12-27-2013, 03:14 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sucrologist View Post
The KHL is not a Kontinental Museum League, a history of this or that club should not be an argument in question to allow a club to play in the league or not. The only thing the KHL can care about is team's season finishing, after that it's a job of Spartak to find sponsorship to play in KHL/VHL/MHL. I don't see a club's disbandment as a hit to the image of the league, it is a fault of club management that they had only one sponsor. Spartak can be saved, but it doesn't mean that they will play in the KHL, IMO it's better for them to wait for Arena of Legends and only then join back. Marketing can increase the attendance even in Moscow, its case is not that special compared to sports in London, Istanbul, Madrid and other large cities, Moscow just lacks modern big arenas.
This x100

Old
12-27-2013, 03:34 PM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persti View Post
Exactly, like Baltic said. There was a good story about it somewhere on the internet where the ownership group went to a game (pre -KHL) and there were 400 people in the stands. They looked around and said "were going to fill this place up." Even first year in the KHL they didn't get great attendance, now its history and example for other clubs and owners.

Moscow will be there one day. Its big city with big attractions so you cant convince people that KHL is big deal with dungy arenas etc. All about perception and the showmanship.

Old
12-28-2013, 02:11 PM
loppa

Regarding current discussion - if it is so easy to raise attendance, why haven't the Moscow teams done this a long time ago? SKA did, and yes they are in another city, but still.

As for other stuff... there's a lot of discussion on non-Russian expansion. I think that some news on Russian expansion was missed - or well hey I have not been around the forum too much I must admit.

The team in Sochi will be called the Dolphins.
http://en.ria.ru/sports/20131227/185...-KHL-Team.html

Now the question that I have is... will they be relocating a team there or will it just be an expansion team?

I guess we might see a three-four team expansion next season... that's so much in one season in my opinion. Now, hey, I am maybe cautious in my views, in that I don't want too rapid expansion. I don't see why should there be a big rush. But, even if three or four new teams pop up, I really think that they should cut at least one team if they add three, and that they should cut two if they add four. :/

Old
12-28-2013, 05:05 PM
Hockeyfan31*

When they are expanding this fast, they need to cancel or increase import limit. There is simply not enough Russian talent to fill so many Russian teams and make them half competitive otherwise

Old
12-29-2013, 09:04 AM
seeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by loppa View Post
I guess we might see a three-four team expansion next season... that's so much in one season in my opinion. Now, hey, I am maybe cautious in my views, in that I don't want too rapid expansion. I don't see why should there be a big rush. But, even if three or four new teams pop up, I really think that they should cut at least one team if they add three, and that they should cut two if they add four. :/
Medvedev said it will be 32 teams (+Lada, +Jokerit, +Sochi, +one more non-russian team)
it can be somebody else to join KHL if something will happened with Spartak/Amur/Kuznya

Old
12-29-2013, 09:53 AM
bobbeaver

i read the ultimate plan is 64 teams, 32 in west and 32 in east conference and they meet in the play off finals the winners of each conference. they dont play each other during the regular season (to many games i guess), but stage 1 plan is 32 teams 16 russian 16 non russian. I think Medvedev said this in an interview.

Old
12-29-2013, 10:11 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbeaver View Post
i read the ultimate plan is 64 teams, 32 in west and 32 in east conference and they meet in the play off finals the winners of each conference. they dont play each other during the regular season (to many games i guess), but stage 1 plan is 32 teams 16 russian 16 non russian. I think Medvedev said this in an interview.
no

Old
12-29-2013, 10:50 AM
ult

Quote:
This was a lifetime ago. Forget it.

Old
12-29-2013, 12:23 PM
Coramoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan31 View Post
When they are expanding this fast, they need to cancel or increase import limit. There is simply not enough Russian talent to fill so many Russian teams and make them half competitive otherwise
that is definitely a concern in my mind. The Russian junior program won't have kicked into full gear for another few years and even then, a junior program per team is not really deep enough to produce enough players to sustain a large league at a high level

Old
01-01-2014, 11:03 AM
Flukeshot
Holmgren activate!

vCash: 214
Not related to the current the discussion, but I wanted to know if there is any concerns about languages and how that could impact expansion and financial success for some teams. Language affects communication between players, coaches, management and media. It adds cost to broadcasting, marketing, translation. Most importantly it could prevent some fans from accessing information about their team or games that have an impact on their team.

I may be wrong, but Jokerit will be the first team/market that doesn't have a significant Slavic population or relevant historical tie to the Russian language. The 3 western Slavic teams with Czech, Slovak and Croatian must also have some difficulties conducting business in a Russian league. Will there be Finnish language broadcasts of games not involving Jokerit?

Is English already the primary language of the league? I think the more Western European the league becomes the more English it will need to be.

For future expansion years from now, should the KHL focus on adding teams by language more than country? Example, create a German language division from teams from Germany, Austria and Switzerland.

Old
01-01-2014, 01:53 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flukeshot View Post
Not related to the current the discussion, but I wanted to know if there is any concerns about languages and how that could impact expansion and financial success for some teams. Language affects communication between players, coaches, management and media. It adds cost to broadcasting, marketing, translation. Most importantly it could prevent some fans from accessing information about their team or games that have an impact on their team.

I may be wrong, but Jokerit will be the first team/market that doesn't have a significant Slavic population or relevant historical tie to the Russian language. The 3 western Slavic teams with Czech, Slovak and Croatian must also have some difficulties conducting business in a Russian league. Will there be Finnish language broadcasts of games not involving Jokerit?

Is English already the primary language of the league? I think the more Western European the league becomes the more English it will need to be.

For future expansion years from now, should the KHL focus on adding teams by language more than country? Example, create a German language division from teams from Germany, Austria and Switzerland.
Viasat Finland(pay tv) has KHL rights currently, they broadcast about one game per day, they don't have much choice on the games though (many game is in the middle of the day when most people are working). They have Finnish pbp for that game. No information yet who has the rights for next year.

Old
01-01-2014, 02:42 PM
alce

Quote:
What's you mean by "primary language"? There is no English based teams and no English language broadcasts, so using of English language is quite limited.

Quote:
And what other languages do you suggest for such divisions? Except German and Russian there is no such languages.

Old
01-01-2014, 06:05 PM
Flukeshot
Holmgren activate!

vCash: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by alce View Post
What's you mean by "primary language"? There is no English based teams and no English language broadcasts, so using of English language is quite limited.

And what other languages do you suggest for such divisions? Except German and Russian there is no such languages.
By primary I mean the language that teams and the league office will communicate in for their day to day work. Coaches, GMs, players when they speak together, will it default to English because it will be the most common second known language to a player.

Swedish, Norwegian and Danish are similar enough that speakers can understand the basics of each.

Old
01-01-2014, 07:51 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:

Klingon.

Old
01-01-2014, 08:21 PM
loppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Klingon.
Siberian.

Old
01-01-2014, 09:01 PM
bobbeaver

Meh Croatian is the best. noone knows it in the league except few medvescak people so everyone is on equal footing lmao no one will say why do i have to learn english ? why doesnt he learn Russian lma see ? fair lmao

Old
01-01-2014, 09:12 PM
alce

Quote:
By primary I mean the language that teams and the league office will communicate in for their day to day work. Coaches, GMs, players when they speak together, will it default to English because it will be the most common second known language to a player.
As league office and most of the teams now are Russians they clearly communicate in Russian language. Actually there is only three or four teams now for which Russian isn't first or second language. Lev, Slovan and Medvescak. Maybe Riga. And that's all.

Old
01-01-2014, 09:49 PM
bobbeaver

Quote:
As league office and most of the teams now are Russians they clearly communicate in Russian language. Actually there is only three or four teams now for which Russian isn't first or second language. Lev, Slovan and Medvescak. Maybe Riga. And that's all.
U are forgetting Jokerit. i mean its like it is already in the league so i would count the club in the bunch

Old
01-01-2014, 10:02 PM
alce

Quote:
U are forgetting Jokerit. i mean its like it is already in the league so i would count the club in the bunch
I didn't forget it, but we were talking about how things are right now.

Old
01-01-2014, 10:22 PM
bobbeaver

meh one more club that is certain to be in KHL wount make a difference. besdies it would take atleast 10 non russian clubs to change the language situation.

Old
01-02-2014, 01:53 AM
robwangjing

I think at least the KHL website should be in more languages in the future. Today it's in Russian and English, but I think the English section contains less and is updated later than the main/Russian section.

I think it would be nice if the website would be easy to switch languages between Czech, Slovak, Russian, Finnish, English etc. Similar to the NHL website that has navigation for English, French, Russian, Finnish, Swedish, Czech, Slovak and German.

The KHL website should, in my opinion, have the website in all the languages that the league has teams in. And if the language of the country are more than one, like Switzerland I suppose only the biggest language should be included. So I guess German?

Also even if the team will never have a team in the UK I think that English should also be included. I think I don't need to give a reason why since we all communicate in English here. Should be a good enough reason haha.

Also it's a big shame that both KHL.com, KHL.org and KHL.eu is used by other companies. Those websites would have been better to use in the future. Because I think a lot of the Russophobic people out there would prefer if it was not KHL.ru.

I saw that khl.xxx is available. Perhaps it would generate a lot of clicks at least, hahaha.

Closed Thread