HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread pt. III - TSN1200 is HERE!

Closed Thread

Old
09-30-2013, 06:46 PM
Stylizer1
Strickly Butter Baby

vCash: 709
The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread pt. III - TSN1200 is HERE!

Continued...

Part II of the Ottawa Sports Radio thread can be found here.

Last edited by BonkTastic: 09-30-2013 at 08:43 PM. Reason: mod - added link to the old thread (part II), for continuity
Old
09-30-2013, 06:47 PM
Stylizer1
Strickly Butter Baby

I really didn't like his interview with Brian Murray. He never asks questions, he always wants the interviewee to agree with his opinion.

He sets them up where they have no choice but to answer the question along the lines of his opinion. He doesn't feed off of what he is being told.

Old
09-30-2013, 07:01 PM
BuckyDornster
Speed kills, Del.

vCash: 606
Tuned in at 5:00, heard Mendes talking which was amazing. Then heard "the giggle", started reaching for the dial and waited it out then Simmer turned awkward school boy and that was it.

Never thought I'd miss hearing Bruce Garrioch or Lee Versage on the radio, but there we are.

Old
09-30-2013, 07:10 PM
Pitlick*

vCash: 500
I miss Jim Rome also. Tuned in for some NFL talk after a great weekend. All I got was Mendes talking about the Cowboys, and Simpson the Patriots. I wish these guys knew more about the NFL than the teams they cheer for.

The TSN shows are fine. But they should not have expanded them to cover the Jim Rome hours.

I don't listen to Rome all the time, but it's a nice change-up. Yes, the clone talk is idiotic, but Jim is one of the best interviewers, and has great sports takes.

Last edited by Pitlick*: 09-30-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old
09-30-2013, 08:44 PM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

Looking forward to Mendes showing the rest of the goofs at that station how a professional is supposed to behave/ act.

Old
09-30-2013, 08:46 PM
BK201

Jim Rome is a boss this sucks.

Old
09-30-2013, 08:46 PM
Quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Looking forward to Mendes showing the rest of the goofs at that station how a professional is supposed to behave/ act.
Hopefully he's a leader not a follower.

09-30-2013, 08:47 PM
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitlick View Post
I miss Jim Rome also. Tuned in for some NFL talk after a great weekend. All I got was Mendes talking about the Cowboys, and Simpson the Patriots. I wish these guys knew more about the NFL than the teams they cheer for.

The TSN shows are fine. But they should not have expanded them to cover the Jim Rome hours.

I don't listen to Rome all the time, but it's a nice change-up. Yes, the clone talk is idiotic, but Jim is one of the best interviewers, and has great sports takes.
Anyone with a smart phone, computer, tablet or ipod can listen to jim rome live and get their fill of NBA, NFL and MLB talk on countless stations. There is only one sports station on the continent that gives a **** about the Ottawa sports scene. I'd like that station to have as much local programming as possible.

Last edited by PoutineSp00nZ: 09-30-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old
09-30-2013, 09:32 PM
Stylizer1
Strickly Butter Baby

I liked how Mendes was like "so this is your shtick" to Simmer and Simmer was like "heheheh yeah"

Mendes wears the pants in that relationship.

Old
09-30-2013, 09:35 PM
Rhino Reilly
CoJo

Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
Simmer needs a dominator or else he gets too distracted and off topic. He and Ian should be a fantastic match.

Old
09-30-2013, 10:19 PM
MiscBrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutineplato View Post
Anyone with a smart phone, computer, tablet or ipod can listen to jim rome live and get their fill of NBA, NFL and MLB talk on countless stations. There is only one sports station on the continent that gives a **** about the Ottawa sports scene. I'd like that station to have as much local programming as possible.
As I already explained previously, I am driving around for 8+ hours a day. I listen to TSN 1200 pretty much the entire day (I switch on commercials to CBC & CFRA). I don't have the luxury of streaming internet radio for 3 hours in the van that I drive around.

Jim Rome is levels beyond anybody in the Ottawa scene. The guy is the creme de la creme of Sports radio. You should feel lucky that you even got to experience his voice.

I'm almost positive that the folk clamoring for more local talk (in a city that has ONE PROFESSIONAL SPORTS TEAM) don't listen sports radio for the entire day. By Friday afternoon, when I've listen to countless hours of simmer and yorkie I'm ready to drive the van off a bridge.

Old
09-30-2013, 10:23 PM
MiscBrah

I'm also a little confused what value TSN has added to the station. From what I can see they manage to get Mendes (that's a plus), but that's basically it.

What benefits do the listeners get for them switching to TSN? If they brought in a bunch of legitimate radio hosts, new programming, special events etc. It probably wouldn't be so bad to lose Rome.

It appears all they've really done is try to cut costs and hope people keep listening...

Old
09-30-2013, 10:46 PM
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiscBrah View Post
As I already explained previously, I am driving around for 8+ hours a day. I listen to TSN 1200 pretty much the entire day (I switch on commercials to CBC & CFRA). I don't have the luxury of streaming internet radio for 3 hours in the van that I drive around.

Jim Rome is levels beyond anybody in the Ottawa scene. The guy is the creme de la creme of Sports radio. You should feel lucky that you even got to experience his voice.

I'm almost positive that the folk clamoring for more local talk (in a city that has ONE PROFESSIONAL SPORTS TEAM) don't listen sports radio for the entire day. By Friday afternoon, when I've listen to countless hours of simmer and yorkie I'm ready to drive the van off a bridge.
Whoah simmer down there, your man crush on Rome not withstanding, that's a matter of opinion.

If u want to listen to a guy whose biggest show of the year is having a bunch of red necks call in with pre-written and rehearsed takes, be my quest. There are options, downlaod his podcast the night before and listen to it the next day. Get a satellite radio for 50 bucks.

My point is that aside from the local radio, there would be next to no ottawa related sports talk. That's what I want to listen to. That's why i like the station the way it is.

Old
09-30-2013, 11:20 PM
Stylizer1
Strickly Butter Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiscBrah View Post

I listen all day even weekends. During the summer come 10am I switch to cfra because I don't care much for the Dan Patrick Show. I wait until the drive and tune back. I have been listening to CFRA between 12-3 for years so it might take a lot for me to switch back. I gave it a shot today just because but really they need to change the shows.

I used to listen Rome a lot but just got tired of him

Giving TGOR 9-10 is terrible. It is a waste of an hour and I tune to cfra just for that time. They should give York & Lloyd 9-12. Leever & Marcott/Garrioch/Brenana/Stevenson,AJ (rotate them), 12-3 and Mindy and Simmer 3-6.

Old
10-01-2013, 12:05 PM
FreakyBunny

I thought Mendes was great. Simmer? Same old self aggrandizing self.

It bugged when Mendes said something like "we shouldn't agree so much on our first day". Simmer replied "did you say first date", to which Mendes added "no, definitely not our first date". Simmer giggled away, and thus the populous were assured that they weren't attracted to each other. Phew.

Nice sophomoric latent homophobia, there Simpson....I guess it's fun to joke about men who date men on the radio. Mendes was caught in that one, but it's on Simmer for making the jape in the first place. What's next, is he going to accuse Mendes of being Indian?

Old
10-01-2013, 12:20 PM
SenzZen
Cool Keith

Even equal reason to never listen to that station.

I honestly feel like it's just for masochists.

Old
10-01-2013, 12:23 PM
FreakyBunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenzZen View Post
Even equal reason to never listen to that station.
I don't understand what you're saying

Old
10-01-2013, 12:30 PM
Rhino Reilly
CoJo

These threads are hilarious.

Just people ***** and complaining about radio hosts in just about every post. Usually the same guys though so its gotta be super easy to take most things people like SensFanDan says with a giant grain of salt.

Old
10-01-2013, 12:33 PM
FreakyBunny

I suppose I come of that way. The real proof will be in the ratings...not in what I spout off here.

Old
10-01-2013, 01:39 PM
DJB

vCash: 50
Rome has good interviews but that's about it. The rest of his show is terrible. Glad he is gone.

Old
10-01-2013, 02:15 PM
L'Aveuglette
Destroyer of Heads

vCash: 1000
Wait, is Lee going to be on The Drive every day from 2 to 3 with Mendes and Simmer?

I'm confused. Although Simpson was late so maybe that's the only reason Lee is on right now with the guys.

Old
10-01-2013, 02:31 PM
Rhino Reilly
CoJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Aveuglette View Post
Wait, is Lee going to be on The Drive every day from 2 to 3 with Mendes and Simmer?

I'm confused. Although Simpson was late so maybe that's the only reason Lee is on right now with the guys.
Ya I think thats why Lee was there since he's gone now.

Old
10-01-2013, 02:34 PM
ClaptonIsGod

Rome had decent interviews, but his butt kissing was sometimes too much to handle. He strokes egos way too easily.

[dead air]

Oops. I was channeling my inner Rome

Idiotic redneck clones
Repetitive
Way off topic. Any topic. And stays there for several segments thinking he is doing everyone a favour.
Did I say repetitive?

Won't miss him in the least. I'll actually tune to AM1200 between noon and 3pm now.

Old
10-01-2013, 02:36 PM
MiscBrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutineplato View Post
Whoah simmer down there, your man crush on Rome not withstanding, that's a matter of opinion.

If u want to listen to a guy whose biggest show of the year is having a bunch of red necks call in with pre-written and rehearsed takes, be my quest. There are options, downlaod his podcast the night before and listen to it the next day. Get a satellite radio for 50 bucks.

My point is that aside from the local radio, there would be next to no ottawa related sports talk. That's what I want to listen to. That's why i like the station the way it is.
I don't know how it's a matter of opinion when the guy has over 2,000,000 listeners a day, over 250,000 likes on facebook, and over 1,000,000 followers on twitter. I guess it is a matter of opinion, only it isn't just MY opinion, it's the opinion of millions who have elevated Rome to the top of the sports talk world.

My point is that TSN should add some value to the station, not just cheap out and give the unprofessional Ottawa staff hours more to mess around. They want to have more local talk? Fine, but actually find things to talk about, I don't want to listen to stories from the daily lives of York and Simpson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Aveuglette View Post

why am I not surprised?

Old
10-01-2013, 02:36 PM
L'Aveuglette
Destroyer of Heads

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
Ya I think thats why Lee was there since he's gone now.
I think they should have Lee on for the first hour. They do that kind of thing in Toronto, varying the co-hosts during one particular show. It would sure make the four hours a lot more interesting.

Closed Thread