HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread pt. III - TSN1200 is HERE!

Closed Thread

Old
10-01-2013, 01:42 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Aveuglette View Post
I think they should have Lee on for the first hour. They do that kind of thing in Toronto, varying the co-hosts during one particular show. It would sure make the four hours a lot more interesting.
I'd love them to create a Tim and Sid like show like you are talking about. Guys dropping by, various interviewees etc

Old
10-01-2013, 01:43 PM
Tuna99

Listened yesterday, Mendes had his moments but overall I'd say he doesn't burn Ottawa sports or even burn hockey - this show is for sports junkies and Mendes I always saw as a journalist first (who lobbed up softball questions for athletes, the opposite of Larry Brooks if such a thing could exist) and a sports fan (kinda) second.

hate to say this, but Mendes might be to smart for this job. The guy never seemed to be much of a sports fan, he had his blog there where he put himself on the map by calling Ottawa the worst sports town in the world, so if he can't recognize the passion of the Ottawa sports community I don't know how he'll fake it all day on the radio.

Old
10-01-2013, 01:49 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna99 View Post
Listened yesterday, Mendes had his moments but overall I'd say he doesn't burn Ottawa sports or even burn hockey - this show is for sports junkies and Mendes I always saw as a journalist first (who lobbed up softball questions for athletes, the opposite of Larry Brooks if such a thing could exist) and a sports fan (kinda) second.

hate to say this, but Mendes might be to smart for this job. The guy never seemed to be much of a sports fan, he had his blog there where he put himself on the map by calling Ottawa the worst sports town in the world, so if he can't recognize the passion of the Ottawa sports community I don't know how he'll fake it all day on the radio.
To be fair, that was more then a decade ago. Probably like 12/13 years ago

Back then, we were probably up there lol

Old
10-01-2013, 02:43 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Apparently Gary Galley is joining Simmer and Ian from 4-5. Should be good.

Old
10-01-2013, 03:02 PM
Spex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaptonIsGod View Post
Rome had decent interviews, but his butt kissing was sometimes too much to handle. He strokes egos way too easily.
And the local guys are different? Funny, seems like everytime I hear them talking about someone or interview someone is all butt-kissing, all the time. Even moreso when they interview people from Ottawa's little inner circle.

Old
10-01-2013, 03:26 PM
Ron Jeremy

I love to listen to McGuire stroke Simmer in the morning. The man love borders on funny.

Old
10-01-2013, 04:46 PM
pepty

I think having Lee on once in awhile may be a good idea.

Simmer seems to have his nose out of joint with all the accolades and welcomes Mendes has been receiving after his first day on the job.

And Ian seems to be getting impatient with Simmer from time to time this afternoon..

Old
10-01-2013, 04:52 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
I think having Lee on once in awhile may be a good idea.

Simmer seems to have his nose out of joint with all the accolades and welcomes Mendes has been receiving after his first day on the job.

And Ian seems to be getting impatient with Simmer from time to time this afternoon..
They're completely different personalities. Ian is a journalist at heart who learned he has to kiss the Sens brass butts every now and then to get the info he needed to write or report.

Simmer is just a former ex-ec who doesn't really care about getting on people's good sides and say's what he thinks all the time.

I think after getting used to eachother, they'll be a fantastic duo. There's gonna be a feeling out process.

Old
10-01-2013, 04:53 PM
Rocket Richard
Proud Canadian!!!!!

I'll actually start listening in the afternoons now that Rome is gone. Never liked him!

I say now that the NHL season is starting we will start hearing more & better NHL talk on 1200

Good riddance Rome!

Old
10-01-2013, 05:10 PM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

Really like the new TSN1200 daytime structure and pairings. On and off I caught about 8 hours each day of the roughly 12+ hours of programming. It may not work out that way every day but it's nice to turn on the radio and catch local discussions instead of some US host. It helps that they've had lots of hockey talk and some great interviews. All the host combos work for me.

Old
10-01-2013, 05:23 PM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
With the same talking heads, the coverage isn't going to get better. Quantity goes up, doubt quality is.

And... are people not SPORTS fans? I mean, that's why I listen to SPORTS radio. HOCKEY radio gets so incredibly boring so very quickly.

Old
10-01-2013, 05:28 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleD View Post
With the same talking heads, the coverage isn't going to get better. Quantity goes up, doubt quality is.

And... are people not SPORTS fans? I mean, that's why I listen to SPORTS radio. HOCKEY radio gets so incredibly boring so very quickly.
TGOR stays the same and same with Yorkie and Lloyd, but I always liked that combo. Lloyd knows his stuff and Yorkie is obviously an ex-pro but they have great chemistry. Sure, they get off topic because of there friendship and such, but I find them easy listening.

Mendes and Simmer are going to be interesting. See my last comment for my thoughts on them.

Old
10-01-2013, 05:31 PM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

Simmer actually toned it down today. Good on him.

Lee added a lot with his brief appearance.

Old
10-01-2013, 05:48 PM
Perjong

Wow, there is a lot of people here with sticks in their anuses. People whining about Jungle Jim, people whining about Simmer, people whining how they get off topic. Heaven forbid the hosts are not talking spots every second of every minute of every hour! How dare they talk about something else for a few minutes, like something in their lives! The nerve of them! You people must be the life of the party, shunning any sort of levity and non-spports talk.

12 hours of straight sports talk would get boring real fast, especially when each show will cover the same thing.

The thing is, sports are unimportant. Talking about sports is even more unimportant. And doing it for 12 hours stright without some levity is just ridiculous. Yes, it is sports talk radio, but that doesn't mean they can't go off the rails sometimes. Maybe lighten up and get a sense of humour. I listen to Team 1200, but not for the boring and useless sports talk. I listen for the off the rails stuff, the bits that JR does (El Predicto!), and Steve's occasional immaturity. That is entertaining. Constant talk about sports, revisiting the same topic every hour? I have no use for that.

Before Jungle was let go, TGOR was must-listen radio every day, because you never knew what he would say or what faux-pas would happen. After that, if I missed the show, I didn't care; I knew I wasn't missing much. These days the show has gotten even more watered down and dull.

This re-branding only ensures that everything will get even more corporate, more dull, more watered down, and even more boring. The whole point of radio morning shows is to give you a dose of humour on your way to work. And it appears that is something a lot of you could use more of. Pull those sticks out of your anuses and don't put so much importance on something as unimportant as sports. Have a chuckle in the morning, enjoy the banter between all the hosts while it lasts before corporate ruins everything.

On a side note, Ian Mendez sucks on the radio. He's boring and has a terrible radio voice. He was fine on Sportsnet when you'd only have to listen to him for a few minutes at a time, but four hours of this guy is unbearable. Dave Gross should have stuck around.

Old
10-01-2013, 06:12 PM
pepty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perjong View Post
Wow, there is a lot of people here with sticks in their anuses. People whining about Jungle Jim, people whining about Simmer, people whining how they get off topic. Heaven forbid the hosts are not talking spots every second of every minute of every hour! How dare they talk about something else for a few minutes, like something in their lives! The nerve of them! You people must be the life of the party, shunning any sort of levity and non-spports talk.

12 hours of straight sports talk would get boring real fast, especially when each show will cover the same thing.

The thing is, sports are unimportant. Talking about sports is even more unimportant. And doing it for 12 hours stright without some levity is just ridiculous. Yes, it is sports talk radio, but that doesn't mean they can't go off the rails sometimes. Maybe lighten up and get a sense of humour. I listen to Team 1200, but not for the boring and useless sports talk. I listen for the off the rails stuff, the bits that JR does (El Predicto!), and Steve's occasional immaturity. That is entertaining. Constant talk about sports, revisiting the same topic every hour? I have no use for that.

Before Jungle was let go, TGOR was must-listen radio every day, because you never knew what he would say or what faux-pas would happen. After that, if I missed the show, I didn't care; I knew I wasn't missing much. These days the show has gotten even more watered down and dull.

This re-branding only ensures that everything will get even more corporate, more dull, more watered down, and even more boring. The whole point of radio morning shows is to give you a dose of humour on your way to work. And it appears that is something a lot of you could use more of. Pull those sticks out of your anuses and don't put so much importance on something as unimportant as sports. Have a chuckle in the morning, enjoy the banter between all the hosts while it lasts before corporate ruins everything.

On a side note, Ian Mendez sucks on the radio. He's boring and has a terrible radio voice. He was fine on Sportsnet when you'd only have to listen to him for a few minutes at a time, but four hours of this guy is unbearable. Dave Gross should have stuck around.
I guess you must feel really strongly about this as you evidently just joined the board so that you could post this diatribe.Or...

By they way, why are you listening to a sports station in the first place if it is so unimportant, dull and uninteresting?Time to change that dial.

No one has mentioned Jungle Jim for months , since he was let go.If you miss Jungle Jim so much just replay his old podcasts, he just retold the same tedious stories again and again ad nauseum, you wont even know the difference.

Old
10-01-2013, 06:18 PM
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan

Quote:

Jungle is that you?

Can u get me a patch of Wayne's short and curlies?

Old
10-01-2013, 06:30 PM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

Quote:

Simmer? lol

Seriously, if you want to listen to crap radio in the morning you can listen to any top 40 station out there. What most are complaining about here is the of sports talk on a "SPORTS" radio station.

If "Simmer" was actually funny I think people would see the humor. He is not.

Now that we were re-branded TSN, why don't you try listening to the other stations in the morning.

Old
10-01-2013, 06:32 PM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
I guess you must feel really strongly about this as you evidently just joined the board so that you could post this diatribe.Or...

By they way, why are you listening to a sports station in the first place if it is so unimportant, dull and uninteresting?Time to change that dial.

No one has mentioned Jungle Jim for months , since he was let go.If you miss Jungle Jim so much just replay his old podcasts, he just retold the same tedious stories again and again ad nauseum, you wont even know the difference.

He must have taken it personally. I don't see why anyone would be this mad about people criticizing radio hosts.

Old
10-01-2013, 06:33 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:

I actually agree with a lot of your rant, but I'd give Mendes time before you make a decision on him.....don't find many naturals in radio/TV.

Old
10-01-2013, 08:20 PM
Perjong

I already mentioned why I listen to TGOR in the morning. If other morning shows were not interrupted by music, I would have probably switched ages ago. And to me the complaining comes across as complaints about the hosts sometimes spend a few minutes talking about something that isn't sports related, or how it's not always super serious, because sports are super serious and the most important thing ever.

Honestly, if it wasn't for the email segment, the show would have little worth, and even that segment has gotten boring compared to years passed.

I have been downloading the old podcasts, but I will save them for when the show has become a complete corporate bore. However, nothing will top the morning Jim spent the email segment doing his Steve Madley impression, the Barry White of Farm Boy, or the other morning where he made a case for women not going to hockey games because they are taking up space. All classic stuff that was a hoot to listen to, and far more interesting than any talk about sports. Even by that point the show wasn't as funny as it was years previous, when Buzz used to be on it, and Jungle again before him.

But now that the station carries the TSN brand, they'll have to have less fun and become more boring with the useless sports talk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
I actually agree with a lot of your rant, but I'd give Mendes time before you make a decision on him.....don't find many naturals in radio/TV.
Unless his voice changes, I don't think I will like him on the air. Some people just aren't enjoyable to listen to for four hours on the radio.

Last edited by Perjong: 10-01-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old
10-01-2013, 09:26 PM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

Quote:
I already mentioned why I listen to TGOR in the morning. If other morning shows were not interrupted by music, I would have probably switched ages ago. And to me the complaining comes across as complaints about the hosts sometimes spend a few minutes talking about something that isn't sports related, or how it's not always super serious, because sports are super serious and the most important thing ever.

Honestly, if it wasn't for the email segment, the show would have little worth, and even that segment has gotten boring compared to years passed.

I have been downloading the old podcasts, but I will save them for when the show has become a complete corporate bore. However, nothing will top the morning Jim spent the email segment doing his Steve Madley impression, the Barry White of Farm Boy, or the other morning where he made a case for women not going to hockey games because they are taking up space. All classic stuff that was a hoot to listen to, and far more interesting than any talk about sports. Even by that point the show wasn't as funny as it was years previous, when Buzz used to be on it, and Jungle again before him.

But now that the station carries the TSN brand, they'll have to have less fun and become more boring with the useless sports talk.

Unless his voice changes, I don't think I will like him on the air. Some people just aren't enjoyable to listen to for four hours on the radio.
So you have little interest in sports and just want childish humor? The hosts who get the most complaints are the ones who have on air issues. Kulka, Jungle, Studley, Stuntman, Mike Eastwood, were all guys people didn't like for their own reasons.

Many people say the like hearing Simpson talk about sports. They complain when he goes off on a poor excuse for comedy. Once and a while throw in a joke, even a bad one, fine, but not 5-6 times a segment and then laugh after each.

People complain about the host wasting the listeners time when they are tuning in to listen to "sports talk"

Everyone understands the morning show concept. You would just think that they would incorporate sports seeing as it is a sports station. No one on TGOR has any comedic presence. Jungle was funny, at times, but not interesting to someone looking to hear about sports. What Simpson does is the same. He is really not funny and his jokes don't even make the other co-host laugh one bit. It is like he is trying to beat everyone to the joke but everyone is being serious. It comes off as not taking your job seriously.

Old
10-01-2013, 09:34 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Before Jungle was let go, TGOR was must-listen radio every day, because you never knew what he would say or what faux-pas would happen.
Listening to TGOR when Jungle was on was the equivalent of watching TMZ and hoping they would show footage of a celebrity drunkenly soiling themselves in public whilst simultaneously ending their careers by making a racist comment. It was the equivalent of rubbernecking at an accident and hoping to see a severed limb.

Old
10-01-2013, 10:25 PM
Perjong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylizer1 View Post
So you have little interest in sports and just want childish humor? The hosts who get the most complaints are the ones who have on air issues. Kulka, Jungle, Studley, Stuntman, Mike Eastwood, were all guys people didn't like for their own reasons.

Many people say the like hearing Simpson talk about sports. They complain when he goes off on a poor excuse for comedy. Once and a while throw in a joke, even a bad one, fine, but not 5-6 times a segment and then laugh after each.

People complain about the host wasting the listeners time when they are tuning in to listen to "sports talk"

Everyone understands the morning show concept. You would just think that they would incorporate sports seeing as it is a sports station. No one on TGOR has any comedic presence. Jungle was funny, at times, but not interesting to someone looking to hear about sports. What Simpson does is the same. He is really not funny and his jokes don't even make the other co-host laugh one bit. It is like he is trying to beat everyone to the joke but everyone is being serious. It comes off as not taking your job seriously.
I never listend to whatever show Kulka was on. Loved Jungle (at least the show was interesting when he was on). Studley was a terrible host on TV since he came across as boring, uninterested, stiff, and just someone you don't want to watch. Like Max Keeping. I liked Stuntman - what exactly was his on-air "issue"? Never heard Eastwood. I assume he's some sort of hockey player

For someone looking to hear sports talk, for whatever reason, has plenty of it, even with a Jungle Jim on the show. So five minutes is spent talking about something else. So what? There is more to life than sports, even on sports radio. And there is nothing wrong with childish humour. Maybe if people didn't take themselves so seriously, they could appreciate a dose of it now and then. Any humour is better than no humour.

Also, you don't have to convince me about Simmer's short comings. He isn't funny; the odd time that I laughed when he was on the air was not from what he said per se, but from how the Steve and JR reacted since they weren't expecting it. I don't even like hearing Simmer talk about sports because he talks far too much, often not really saying anything of substance, or saying the same thing more than once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Listening to TGOR when Jungle was on was the equivalent of watching TMZ and hoping they would show footage of a celebrity drunkenly soiling themselves in public whilst simultaneously ending their careers by making a racist comment. It was the equivalent of rubbernecking at an accident and hoping to see a severed limb.
No, it's like watching a live TV show and hoping for an outtake, except it's radio. That is what their whole Plays of the Week feature on Mondays used to be about. But then the show got so boring they didn't have enough material for it.

Old
10-01-2013, 10:34 PM
Inkling
Proud to be a Mammal

Quote:
Wow, there is a lot of people here with sticks in their anuses...Before Jungle was let go, TGOR was must-listen radio every day... The whole point of radio morning shows is to give you a dose of humour on your way to work. ... Pull those sticks out of your anuses ....
To you it's "sticks in anuses", to some of us it's "brain cells between ears". TGOR during the latter Jerome days was stick-needles-in-eyes painful. Obviously 'humour' is a relative thing. There are podcasts out there if you're not into sports and just want the funny bits.

I much prefer the new schedule. I still end up listening to TSN 690 a lot but TSN 1200 is getting better. If Galley is going to be on for part of the afternoon with Mendes and Simmer, that's something I'm going to tune in for.

Old
10-01-2013, 11:06 PM
ZSensFan

Give Mendes a chance on radio, it's a far different beast filling 4 hours versus filing 4 minutes each day for Sportsnet. I think he's smart enough to pull it off, and we will be glad he's here. And he's a good foil to keep Simpson in line, who I like but definitely needs someone to keep him in line!

Closed Thread