HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - LII

Closed Thread

Old
10-15-2013, 01:55 AM
SighReally

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tripper View Post
don't know why gillis constantly gets mocked for this quote...he's not wrong
y2k still has a grudge against him when Gillis decided to retain the Sedins instead of going after superstars Gaborik and Cammalleri.

Old
10-15-2013, 01:58 AM
Balls Mahoney
Real Rock N Rolla

I don't understand why we shouldn't trade Kesler, guy hasn't done anything in two years. A decent young player and a high pick could be had for what amounts to chewed bubble gum.

Old
10-15-2013, 02:02 AM
Zombotron
WD-57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
I don't understand why we shouldn't trade Kesler, guy hasn't done anything in two years. A decent young player and a high pick could be had for what amounts to chewed bubble gum.
This is why, for starters.

Old
10-15-2013, 02:03 AM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

Quote:
Originally Posted by SighReally View Post
y2k still has a grudge against him when Gillis decided to retain the Sedins instead of going after superstars Gaborik and Cammalleri.
if we got both those guys for future 1st round picks and non-boho/shink prospects at the deadline, would all be forgiven?

Old
10-15-2013, 02:08 AM
Balls Mahoney
Real Rock N Rolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombotron View Post
And your point is? I don't understand what linking to an ancient thread has to do with reality.

Old
10-15-2013, 02:11 AM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

kids these days. presentism is getting out of control.

Old
10-15-2013, 02:11 AM
DennisReynolds
the implication

Quote:
Well if you want to trade Kesler, you'd be selling low so that's a terrible asset management.

Old
10-15-2013, 02:14 AM
Zombotron
WD-57

Quote:
And your point is? I don't understand what linking to an ancient thread has to do with reality.

Old
10-15-2013, 02:18 AM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Who replaces him? The Rangers aren't giving us Stepan - the closest equivalent. Horvat is years away from possibly emulating the success Kesler has had. Unless we completely luck out at free agency, trading Kesler only creates a massive hole whee there was once a small one.

Old
10-15-2013, 02:21 AM
John Swartzwelder
MOAR TUFFNESS!!!1

Quote:
pointless gif
wow so funny hahahahah lol what a good argument omg lol you sure showed him #shotsfired oh my goodness what a genius

Old
10-15-2013, 02:23 AM
Scouter

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles View Post
Overpaying for them is $9M per year, and I highly doubt they'll ask for that much.
They are on an amazing contract right now. Getting point-per-game players for $6M is crazy, especially when you consider guys like Getzlaf, Perry, E. Staal, Parise, etc getting well over $7.5M.

Yeah, there are other players we "could" get, but it's free agency, 29 other teams are competing to sign these players which will likely result in us overpaying, and it's not guaranteed we'll be able to sign anyone either.
Overpaying them would be giving them what they make now or more.

Well if we overpay for younger players I'm ok with that.

Old
10-15-2013, 02:24 AM
Scouter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadaCanuckle View Post
Well, in the last years, we've spent very close to the cap. What's your argument?
Well the cap's been very low, plus the Nucks really didn't spend anything in the summer.

Old
10-15-2013, 02:25 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Chicago also has a much better team up front than we do. We could go with no goalie like you suggest, but we'll just end up like Philly if we're lucky. Chances are we end up like Edmonton or Toronto from a couple years ago and end up a bottom feeder once again. Have we already forgotten what the Cloutier era was like?

Not so, particularly because I believe in managements ability to access goalies far better than Burke ever could. Lack is a good start, and getting in another veteran to steady him will be enough.

CHI took advantage of Crawford's cheap contract to field a stronger team up front. Same with PHI and others. Goaltending is valued. Dont get me wrong, but goaltenders as a group are devalued. Theres a far better chance of finding a capable starter due to a numbers game. If the team transitions away from Luongo, I have little doubt they can put together a decent tandem to ease into the change. Then they can put their money upfront for further help.

A team sinks far quicker if the defense isn't good enough to support the change though. Still, I like this team's defense and its ability to insulate any new starter. The system will also help. Now of course Lack will determine just how much faith we can put in him moving forward - much like we had for Schneider.

Old
10-15-2013, 02:26 AM
Zombotron
WD-57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Who replaces him? The Rangers aren't giving us Stepan - the closest equivalent. Horvat is years away from possibly emulating the success Kesler has had. Unless we completely luck out at free agency, trading Kesler only creates a massive hole whee there was once a small one.
Did you not hear the guy? Chewed bubble gum.

Old
10-15-2013, 02:26 AM
Cogburn

Non-core players without NTCs or NMCs...Lack and Tanev for starters, Jensen, Schroeder, Kassian, Weise, Sestito, Booth, Dalpe, Stanton and our CHL pick ups.

I really don't see much of this group being valuable, even with a pick or as part of a package. Tanev is a bottom sixer with potential to be a top four very shortly, Jensen and Schroeder are splits on whether they will light the world on fire or will bust, here and elsewhere, Kassian is at an all time low value wise, Dalpe and Stanton are waiver pick ups or recent trades, Lack has proved nothing yet, and could be amazing, and Sestito, Booth and Weise are not doing well enough to expect anything other then addition by subtraction.

Gillis, with his NTC and NMC handouts, has painted himself into a corner. So, we can wait for the paint to dry, or risk getting across it wet by asking a player to waive (totally against his MO).

The alleged 25 game wait is exactly what I think will happen, and probably longer.

Sign Prospal...that solves our issues. Drop some of our players to Utica (Dalpe, Sestito, Weise, maybe Alberts) and we're set.

Old
10-15-2013, 02:27 AM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Not if we are forced to move Jensen+. I would prefer Cammalleri, who actually addresses our woeful playing scoring and has expressed interesting playing for the Canucks in the past. Both may be another venture with Roy, but I have more confidence in retaining Cammalleri than Stastny. Furthermore, Stastny restricts Horvat's progress as we would be set at centre, whereas Cammalleri does not force us to shift Kesler to the wing in order to make room.

2014-15

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Cammalleri - Kesler - Burrows
Shinkaruk - Horvat - Hansen
Higgins - Richardson - Santorelli
Weise

I'd say that has potential - more so if Schroeder does prove himself.
Stastny, Kesler and Horvat can all play wing. I'm not sure why you think he wouldn't be interested in signing with us, and I seriously doubt Colorado will throw huge money at him given their forward core. Seems like a decent target to me.

Old
10-15-2013, 02:30 AM
Zombotron
WD-57

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Stastny, Kesler and Horvat can all play wing. I'm not sure why you think he wouldn't be interested in signing with us, and I seriously doubt Colorado will throw huge money at him given their forward core. Seems like a decent target to me.
And there's the Olympics chemistry factor. He's a UFA(?) after this season.

Old
10-15-2013, 02:34 AM
14s incisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter View Post
Overpaying them would be giving them what they make now or more.

Well if we overpay for younger players I'm ok with that.
I think you missed a in that first sentence.

Old
10-15-2013, 02:37 AM
David71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
Non-core players without NTCs or NMCs...Lack and Tanev for starters, Jensen, Schroeder, Kassian, Weise, Sestito, Booth, Dalpe, Stanton and our CHL pick ups.

I really don't see much of this group being valuable, even with a pick or as part of a package. Tanev is a bottom sixer with potential to be a top four very shortly, Jensen and Schroeder are splits on whether they will light the world on fire or will bust, here and elsewhere, Kassian is at an all time low value wise, Dalpe and Stanton are waiver pick ups or recent trades, Lack has proved nothing yet, and could be amazing, and Sestito, Booth and Weise are not doing well enough to expect anything other then addition by subtraction.

Gillis, with his NTC and NMC handouts, has painted himself into a corner. So, we can wait for the paint to dry, or risk getting across it wet by asking a player to waive (totally against his MO).

The alleged 25 game wait is exactly what I think will happen, and probably longer.

Sign Prospal...that solves our issues. Drop some of our players to Utica (Dalpe, Sestito, Weise, maybe Alberts) and we're set.
well. it's time for mike gillis to face reality because he's a gm. the players are his employees. he needs to grow a set and trade one of the dman on the roster with an ntc to fill a need. Scoring. it's been an ongoing issue since's he's been here. but i doubt whatever comes back in a trade will be a lost for him.. he's been bad with trades now.. only good one i remember was erhoff for scraps.. his first year here.

Old
10-15-2013, 02:38 AM
Ronaldo
★★★

vCash: 55
Quote:
Kesler's value is fairly low right now, I'd much rather keep him and see if he can find his game.

Old
10-15-2013, 02:39 AM
StringerBell

Quote:
And there's the Olympics chemistry factor. He's a UFA(?) after this season.
Yup, and since Colorado already has a very strong forward core in the long term I could see them moving him for assets so they don't lose him for nothing or pay their 5th best forward top dollar. Could be looking at something like this for next year:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Shinkaruk-Stastny-Kesler
Higgins-Horvat-Hansen
Booth-Santorelli-Kassian

Old
10-15-2013, 02:47 AM
John Bender*

Quote:
Then you need to trade the Twins this year too and move players like Hamhuis, Bieksa, and Burrows. If you trade Kesler for a young player and a pick you are saying that we should go full rebuild.

Old
10-15-2013, 02:47 AM
Scouter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14s incisor View Post
I think you missed a in that first sentence.
No, not a chance.

Look, we shouldn't be giving them a contract based on what they have done since the last one, we should be giving them a deal based on their current value, which is probably in decline, which means that they are worth less than what they make now.

Last edited by Scouter: 10-15-2013 at 03:25 AM.
Old
10-15-2013, 03:02 AM
erik19

I think Schroeder could provide some offense in a 2C role with some big wingers.

Sedins-Burrows
Booth-Schroeder-Kassian
Higgins-Kesler-Hansen <-- (NOT A SECOND LINE)
Richardson-Santorelli-Weise

Old
10-15-2013, 03:10 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post

Stastny is one of the best targets I've heard mentioned here. The issue is what would have to be given up? A 1st and a prospect would be standard for an eastern buyer, but a western buyer would have to pay a premium.

The other thing is what is COL looking to do? Compete sooner rather than later? If so, do they want roster players instead of picks? If so, any team would have to dig into their rosters to add him. They've been sitting on Stastny for a while. It's going to take a lot to pry him loose.

Closed Thread