HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - LII

Closed Thread

Old
10-15-2013, 04:10 PM
biturbo19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombotron View Post
GMMG, LG and company pull off some kind of unthinkable wizardry at the trade deadline and go into the playoffs with a lineup of:

Daniel - Henrik - Ryder/Cammalleri
Burrows - Kesler - Stastny
Booth - Santorelli - Kassian
Higgins - Goc - Hansen
Richardson
Weise
Dalpe
Sestito
Jensen?
Horvat?
Shinkaruk?

Edler / Garrison
Hamhuis / Bieksa
Tanev / Corrado
Stanton
Alberts

Luongo

I don't know how it would ever fit under the cap, and what assets would go in order to make room for those additions in the top-six. Praise be to Lawrence Gilman.
We're not fitting all of that under the cap.

But one of Stastny or Cammalleri could potentially be squeezed in, depending how our cap situation plays out between now and the deadline. But even just adding Stastny would be a huge boost to our depth for this year:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Stastny-Kassian
Higgins-Kesler-Hansen
Santorelli-Richardson-Weise

looks like a contender calibre lineup to me, if Torts can have them playing up to potential. Just by improving the center depth at the top-end...it'd be like adding an entire 2nd line to what we've started the year with, Kesler still playing with Higgins+Hansen in a de facto '2nd line'. Stastny hopefully making Booth and Kassian more effective as a '2b scoring line'. Pushes depth down the lineup and puts everyone in a position to succeed.

Cammalleri (or Ryder) on the other hand...Would still leave us with a gaping hole at #3C that needs to be filled. So you'd still have to go out and find a Goc or someone to patch that hole short-term. An extra additional deal on top of that 'scoring winger'. And with a guy like Goc, or similar who is an 'adequate 3rd line center' through and through, if there's term remaining on that deal for next year...you're stuck with another very 'meh' bottom-6 player moving forward. We already seem to have a lot of those bottom-6 types around at the moment.

Old
10-15-2013, 04:11 PM
Proto

Stastny is a guy I would have considered a season or two ago, but I have a hard time envisioning Colorado going out and making any trades that make the team less competitive. I think they're a few years from being a top team, but I think the dynamic on that team is that Roy will ride the roster like they're cup contenders. I can't imagine what his response would be if they started moving out veteran pieces -- probably not good for business now that they've restored some luster to that franchise.

Old
10-15-2013, 04:15 PM
StringerBell

Vancouver: Stastny
Colorado: Campbell
Florida: Jensen

Old
10-15-2013, 04:39 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
I'd actually rather have Campbell than Stastny.

Old
10-15-2013, 05:04 PM
Zombotron
WD-57

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
Cammalleri (or Ryder) on the other hand...Would still leave us with a gaping hole at #3C that needs to be filled. So you'd still have to go out and find a Goc or someone to patch that hole short-term. An extra additional deal on top of that 'scoring winger'. And with a guy like Goc, or similar who is an 'adequate 3rd line center' through and through, if there's term remaining on that deal for next year...you're stuck with another very 'meh' bottom-6 player moving forward. We already seem to have a lot of those bottom-6 types around at the moment.
Stastny, Cammalleri, and Goc are all in the final years of their contracts, coincidentally. I had no idea, I just checked. Ryder's got one more season after this one.

We were talking about Ales Hemsky earlier - also in a contract year.

Someone floated the idea of obtaining Vernon Fiddler for the fourth line, and he too has only one year remaining on his contract.

I don't know. Seems like a good year to circumvent that concern.

Old
10-15-2013, 05:10 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
I don't see Florida liking that.

And unless we dump Booth I don't think we can't afford Stastny.

Old
10-15-2013, 05:17 PM
PRNuck

Why's Stastny the new flavour of the week?

Do Goc, Moen and Halpern know about this? They'll be so hurt

Old
10-15-2013, 05:20 PM
Zombotron
WD-57

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post

(four?)

Old
10-15-2013, 05:27 PM
Catamarca Livin

I think we would need to add to Jensen. Though if he rebounds well from injury i think he is perfect trade bait with Hunter S. and Horvat seemingly not far away and still not having used any of their ELC's. Some of the old contracts that seemed inflated before seem ok now with how UFA's scored last year and with the cap rising. Just sign the Sedins first please. If we do not get them signed then the retooling becames rebuilding pretty fast. Wish we resigned them before the season began too many unknowns otherwise to move in a definate direction. Without the Sedins forget about secondary scoring we have no scoring period. The team has been built around the Sedins so if they left the team would crumble and it is unlikely we are signing two other UFA's that can replace them.

Old
10-15-2013, 05:46 PM
Betamax*
YOU MAD, BRO?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by arttk View Post
To make the pretend to be canucks fans happy.
Have you ever considered the possibility that some "canucks fans" would like to support players that are "all-in" and actually want to play for the team?

Old
10-15-2013, 05:49 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I don't see Florida liking that.

And unless we dump Booth I don't think we can't afford Stastny.
Maybe, maybe not. In the Campbell thread on the main boards Panthers fans seemed to think he has little to no value. Jensen is also exactly what they're looking for: a cost controlled scoring winger. It's all just ******** entertainment via speculation anyways.

Old
10-15-2013, 05:53 PM
StringerBell

Quote:

Skilled playmaker who could come cheap due to.his ufa status. Is familiar with Kesler and Torts from Olympics and would probably have a good probability of re-signing. Great on faceoffs, solid defensively and could anchor the second unit PP.

Old
10-15-2013, 05:59 PM
SighReally

Quote:
Maybe, maybe not. In the Campbell thread on the main boards Panthers fans seemed to think he has little to no value. Jensen is also exactly what they're looking for: a cost controlled scoring winger. It's all just ******** entertainment via speculation anyways.
For a second I thought you guys were discussing bringing in Campbell.

I mean, having him play on our third pairing while setting up Garry bombs on the powerplay would be a sight to see but that would be a phenomenally bad use of resources with our needs elsewhere...

Old
10-15-2013, 08:01 PM
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting

Booth and a 2nd for Hemsky? A legitimate top 6 playmaking RW for Kesler

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Burrows-Kesler-Hemsky
Higgins-Schroder/Richardson-Hansen
Xxx-Schroder/Richardson-Weise
Sestito

Old
10-15-2013, 09:09 PM
biturbo19

Quote:

One of these things is not like the other ones...

I'll let you see if you can figure out which is a bonafide top-6 NHL scorer, and which are assorted spare parts grinders.

Old
10-15-2013, 09:11 PM
Zombotron
WD-57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatoo View Post
Booth and a 2nd for Hemsky? A legitimate top 6 playmaking RW for Kesler

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Burrows-Kesler-Hemsky
Higgins-Schroder/Richardson-Hansen
Xxx-Schroder/Richardson-Weise
Sestito
We've been talking about it. I think Hemsky is an attractive asset, especially because he's in the final year of his contract. I'm worried Edmonton would ask for more than David Booth, though.

Old
10-15-2013, 09:28 PM
Betamax*
YOU MAD, BRO?

Quote:
We've been talking about it. I think Hemsky is an attractive asset, especially because he's in the final year of his contract. I'm worried Edmonton would ask for more than David Booth, though.
I don't think Booth has positive trade value right now. But Booth should be comfortable in Alberta and if he was in-form that's the kind of player the Oilers would like. Also, he seems to like to spend time in the off-season there so he should be comfortable in that environment.

But, I'd still give him a chance to see if he can regain some of the form he had .... uh ... years ago.

Old
10-15-2013, 09:45 PM
biturbo19

Quote:
With Hemsky, the concern is always...health. I mean, what if you deal for him and then he ends up missing the rest of the year with injury? Then you've got nothing to show for it and he likely walks in the offseason.

But if the cost was just David Booth and a small+, i'd certainly take a look at it. I mean, i wouldn't be too heartbroken losing Booth for next year anyway...and there's no guarantee Booth is going to be any healthier than Hemsky for the remainder of the year.

And Hemsky would bring a much needed dose of hockey IQ, offensive creativity, actual passing ability to this team. Booth would bring the Oilers a bit more size/grit, and help with their LW/RW balance. Possibility of a win-win there...or alternatively...the possibility of a lose-lose. But i'd definitely consider it.

Old
10-15-2013, 10:04 PM
Cogburn

Cammalleri, Stastny, Heatley (from the "fix our top six" thread)...they'd all seem like pipedreams, even in their current stages of play, years ago.

This year, I feel we can amply afford top six offensive players, but that they aren't worth the investment.

Old
10-15-2013, 10:39 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
Cammalleri, Stastny, Heatley (from the "fix our top six" thread)...they'd all seem like pipedreams, even in their current stages of play, years ago.

This year, I feel we can amply afford top six offensive players, but that they aren't worth the investment.
I would only give up good pieces for a top 6 forward if we're going all-in this year.
I'd be fine with moving a 1st/Jensen + a conditional 2015 2nd (if he re-signs, otherwise it becomes a 3rd) for Cammalleri at half cap hit if we're in a position to contend, maybe also get a veteran 3rd line center depending on how Schroeder does this season.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar

Last edited by Nuckles: 10-15-2013 at 10:46 PM.
Old
10-15-2013, 11:12 PM
arttk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betamax View Post
Have you ever considered the possibility that some "canucks fans" would like to support players that are "all-in" and actually want to play for the team?
a) It's Aquaman's money so I don't care that it is expensive.

b) Trading our starting goalie to a divisional rival for worse than nothing (Dubnyk).

c) Having that worse than nothing player play tandem with Lack means bye bye playoffs.

d) Who is going to be our starting goalie next year and beyond?

Old
10-16-2013, 12:18 AM
Bleach Clean

Wasn't Dubnyk a mid-pack starter last year with a .920 sv%? Ranked 13th among all goalies who played 20 or over... Prior to that he was at .914 and .916. Midding, yes. Garbage or less than nothing? I would say no. Not by the numbers here.

Old
10-16-2013, 12:28 AM
David71

maybe a three way trade with the oilers. give up david booth to third team. get rid of his 4.2? caphit. aquire hemsky giving up any prospect not named corrado/horvat/gaunce/hunter shinkarurak.

Old
10-16-2013, 01:03 AM
turkulad

Since Colorado is no longer in our division, maybe in case of a very dire need for a roster shake-up we consider making two separate deals?

If Colorado's thin-looking D core would entice them into making a big change, and if Jensen fits into Florida's needs and they could let go of one of their D, why not pull both trades during the deadline?

Stastny for Bieksa.
Weaver for Jensen.

Higgins - Sedin - Kesler
Sedin - Stastny - Burrows
Booth - Santorelli - Hansen
Richardson - Schroeder/Dalpe - Kassian
Dalpe/Schroeder - Weise

Edler - Tanev
Garrison - Weaver
Hamhuis - Stanton
Weber - Alberts

Luongo
Lack

Depth. Call up Horvat, Gaunce and Shinkaruk after their junior seasons for insanity.

Old
10-16-2013, 01:08 AM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkulad View Post
Stastny for Bieksa.
Weaver for Jensen.
Both of those are terrible value for Vancouver.

Weaver is an upcoming UFA bottom pairing d-man and you want to give up a former 1st round pick for him?
Stastny is also an upcoming UFA, and I highly doubt Bieksa would waive his NTC.

Closed Thread