Notices

9/27 Preds Game

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2003, 05:08 AM
VAThrasher

vCash: 500
9/27 Preds Game

This is a copy/paste of a post I made elsewhere. Those of you reading it the second time, forgive the redundancy.

I was very impressed with the team defense in general. I thought the shot count was very misleading as the play seemed pretty even. It was my first look at Majesky, and with Exelby and Sutton, I feel a lot better about our physical presence in the slot.

It was a hard hitting affair, especially early - specifically, Lessard went after Kloucek after Kloucek nailed Cowan in the open ice. Majesky nailed Tootoo with his head down coming out of the zone along the boards. Ben Simon was running everyone - actually I was impressed with his effort to make the Preds' squad - at one point Heatley whacked him in the neutral zone out of frustration earning a long look from Kerry Fraser. I was impressed with Lehtonen. He handled the puck pretty confidently, made some good close-in saves and scrambled better than advertised. He was beaten on a breakaway (sweet move to backhand, then top-shelf by Hartnell) and off a power-play scramble in front (Orsagh - I couldn't see it well). I didn't notice any unacceptable rebounds. All in all, he seemed confident.

Kozlov put the Thrashers ahead 1-0, but again, from my seats behind the far bench I didn't see it well. Savard restored the one goal lead when he went topshelf over Lasak's glove-hand(short-side) after walking out from the corner on the power play. Heatley scored the game-winner on the PP in OT after the Preds' defenseman (Schnabel, I think) broke his stick. He picked up the puck to Lasak's left, circled to the blueline, walked in and blasted one of his patented, top-shelf lasers over Lasak's glove hand.

Old
09-28-2003, 06:52 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

I was at that game too. On that last goal, Heatley took a wicked blast that broke Mark Eaton's stick who was trying to block it. Heatley got the puck back and scored about 10-15 seconds later. Dany was light years ahead of anyone else on the ice. I don't need to tell you guys what he can do but this is the first time I've seen him in person and I was floored. His shot broke the DEFENSEMAN'S stick, for lord's sake.

I kept an eye on Lehtonen the entire game. I don't think he was challenged with a lot of good scoring chances but looked very strong. I may get flamed for this, but right now he reminds me of Mika Noronen at this stage in Noronen's development. Both very talented goalies but seem to rely a bit too much on reflexes. It's something that can be taught pretty easily so I'm sure Lehtonen will pick it up with no problems.

Old
09-28-2003, 07:23 AM
Histrion

Send a message via MSN to Histrion
It is normal that Lehtonen rely a lot on reflex, it's his game and he always succeeded that way so far. I'd like to know where he is expected to start the season, NHL or AHL?

Old
09-28-2003, 07:25 AM
Holly Gunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesome`
I'd like to know where he is expected to start the season, NHL or AHL?
AHL.

Old
09-28-2003, 03:23 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

For the record, that was Greg Johnson's stick that was broken, per the Preds broadcast crew...

Old
09-28-2003, 03:31 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrocketman
For the record, that was Greg Johnson's stick that was broken, per the Preds broadcast crew...

My eyes would disagree. Johnson gave his stick to Eaton.

Old
09-28-2003, 03:50 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007
My eyes would disagree. Johnson gave his stick to Eaton.
So who broke his stick; Schnabel (ruckus007), Eaton (VAThrasher) or Johnson (TNrocketman)?

Old
09-28-2003, 04:06 PM
ATLThrashers15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
So who broke his stick; Schnabel (ruckus007), Eaton (VAThrasher) or Johnson (TNrocketman)?
Who's on first???

Old
09-28-2003, 05:23 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:

LOL, you have me and VAThrash reversed. In my defense, I was sitting right behind the Nashville net, so I did have a very clear view of that play.

Old
09-28-2003, 05:33 PM
VAThrasher

Quote:
I'd trust ruckus007 - mine was an after-the-fact-ice-survey guess.

I guess a video replay's out of the question!

Old
09-29-2003, 04:16 AM
WellSeats

Despite the redundancy, VAThrasher, excellent summary. It was almost like I was there.........

Old
09-29-2003, 05:25 AM
VAThrasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellSeats
Despite the redundancy, VAThrasher, excellent summary. It was almost like I was there.........
Well, whose fault is that? The invitation WAS extended!

Closed Thread