HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The Shootout debate

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-01-2014, 04:43 PM
  #1
Number 9*
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 881
vCash: 500
The Shootout debate

Would any less people show next Sunday if the same two teams were playing and they knew they game would NOT end in a Shootout? In other words God forbid it ended in a tie?

Number 9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 05:22 PM
  #2
Roomtemperature
Registered User
 
Roomtemperature's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,997
vCash: 500
I would

Roomtemperature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 05:26 PM
  #3
Dr Quincy
Registered User
 
Dr Quincy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 15,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 9 View Post
Would any less people show next Sunday if the same two teams were playing and they knew they game would NOT end in a Shootout? In other words God forbid it ended in a tie?
I don't know but did you stop watching when they went from a tie to a God forbid shootout?

In other words, why bother to change back now?

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 05:33 PM
  #4
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup
 
kingsholygrail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Derpifornia
Country: United States
Posts: 42,112
vCash: 500
Shootout's a crowd pleaser. I've yet to hear a crowd not get excited for one and that includes Montreal and Toronto.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 05:38 PM
  #5
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high
 
Blueline Bomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 21,568
vCash: 500
A crowd gets equally excited for a T-shirt cannon. Not the highest standards you're setting there

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 05:47 PM
  #6
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup
 
kingsholygrail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Derpifornia
Country: United States
Posts: 42,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
A crowd gets equally excited for a T-shirt cannon. Not the highest standards you're setting there
The highest standard when you're running a business is $$$$$$.

The NHL doesn't want to go back to ties. Even if they consider dropping the shootout, it won't go back to ties.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 05:51 PM
  #7
Number 9*
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
The highest standard when you're running a business is $$$$$$.

The NHL doesn't want to go back to ties. Even if they consider dropping the shootout, it won't go back to ties.
So back to my original question? If these teams play next Sunday and all 100k plus know there's no chance of a SO less than .00000000001% are now going to stay home.

Number 9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 05:52 PM
  #8
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup
 
kingsholygrail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Derpifornia
Country: United States
Posts: 42,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 9 View Post
So back to my original question? If these teams play next Sunday and all 100k plus know there's no chance of a SO less than .00000000001% are now going to stay home.
And none of them will stay home if there is. Your point is moot.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 05:54 PM
  #9
Number 9*
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
I don't know but did you stop watching when they went from a tie to a God forbid shootout?

In other words, why bother to change back now?
Why? If you have ask why? That not the real intent of the game! Why is this sooooo hard for people to understand?

Number 9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 05:55 PM
  #10
Number 9*
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
And none of them will stay home if there is. Your point is moot.
The point is not moot. Simple question for you? Why don't they use it in the post season?

Number 9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 05:57 PM
  #11
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup
 
kingsholygrail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Derpifornia
Country: United States
Posts: 42,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 9 View Post
The point is not moot. Simple question for you? Why don't they use it in the post season?
No, it's a stupid question for me. Your question implies that the shootout somehow hurts attendance and it doesn't. However, it was notable that as far as expanding the NHL market the existence of frequent ties hurt its appeal. Again, the NHL including a great number of players does not want ties back no matter what. If that means keeping the shootout, they will. Are they considering other options? Sure.

Furthermore, you don't use shootouts in the post season the same reason you don't use ties. They're not necessary. The game goes to sudden death after 3 periods and continues until someone scores.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 06:04 PM
  #12
Number 9*
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
No, it's a stupid question for me. Your question implies that the shootout somehow hurts attendance and it doesn't. However, it was notable that as far as expanding the NHL market the existence of frequent ties hurt its appeal. Again, the NHL including a great number of players does not want ties back no matter what. If that means keeping the shootout, they will. Are they considering other options? Sure.

Furthermore, you don't use shootouts in the post season the same reason you don't use ties. They're not necessary. The game goes to sudden death after 3 periods and continues until someone scores.
So do people come to watch a hockey game or to hope for a Shootout? In other words are less people going to show up because the game MAY end in a tie? Are more going to show up because there might be a Shootout?

Number 9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 06:06 PM
  #13
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup
 
kingsholygrail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Derpifornia
Country: United States
Posts: 42,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 9 View Post
So do people come to watch a hockey game or to hope for a Shootout? In other words are less people going to show up because the game MAY end in a tie? Are more going to show up because there might be a Shootout?
You keep asking the same question looking for a new answer. Want me to quote myself?

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 06:06 PM
  #14
c0rn1
Registered User
 
c0rn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Country: Germany
Posts: 186
vCash: 500
Like I am saying since ages:
Make every game a 3pt game:
Clear regular time win: 3pt
OT or Shootout: 1pt for each + 1 pt for the winner of OT/Shootout (like it is now)
OT wins > shootout wins if there's any doubt at seasons end about position in the standings.

It is simply not logical that some games carry more worth than others (3pts in a tie vs 2 pts in a clear regular win)

c0rn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 06:07 PM
  #15
Dr Quincy
Registered User
 
Dr Quincy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 15,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 9 View Post
Why? If you have ask why? That not the real intent of the game! Why is this sooooo hard for people to understand?
Oh original intent? Do you mean like how originally there were 7 players for each team on the ice? Would you like to go back to that? How about not ending a pp when a goal is scored? Or how about the original intent that disallowed passing the puck forward when in the offensive zone? Or how about going back to the original intent of allowing players to be offside?

In other words: You don't dislike the shootout because of "original intent". Plenty of changes have come in hockey over the years, and you need a better argument than "well it didn't used to be that way".

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 06:08 PM
  #16
Dr Quincy
Registered User
 
Dr Quincy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 15,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 9 View Post
The point is not moot. Simple question for you? Why don't they use it in the post season?
Why don't they use ties in the post season? OMG you can't have different rules in the regular and post season!!!!! Unless it's different rules you are in favor of.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 06:10 PM
  #17
Number 9*
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
You keep asking the same question looking for a new answer. Want me to quote myself?
Let me rephrase!

Do LESS people PAY to see a game if they know the game may end in a tie? The NHL generates little or no more money while the Shootout is going on.

Number 9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 06:12 PM
  #18
Dr Quincy
Registered User
 
Dr Quincy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 15,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 9 View Post
Let me rephrase!

Do LESS people PAY to see a game if they know the game may end in a tie? The NHL generates little or no more money while the Shootout is going on.
Who knows? Probably not an appreciable amount. So what? Nobody pays to see icing calls. Should we do away with that too? I'm not sure what point you think you are making.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 06:12 PM
  #19
Number 9*
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
Oh original intent? Do you mean like how originally there were 7 players for each team on the ice? Would you like to go back to that? How about not ending a pp when a goal is scored? Or how about the original intent that disallowed passing the puck forward when in the offensive zone? Or how about going back to the original intent of allowing players to be offside?

In other words: You don't dislike the shootout because of "original intent". Plenty of changes have come in hockey over the years, and you need a better argument than "well it didn't used to be that way".
Very simple question again? Do LESS people show up today if they know the game could end up in a tie?

Number 9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 06:14 PM
  #20
Number 9*
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
Who knows? Probably not an appreciable amount. So what? Nobody pays to see icing calls. Should we do away with that too? I'm not sure what point you think you are making.
Teams play hockey for 65 minutes to have the game end in a situation that has ZERO to do with the previous 65 minutes.

Number 9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 06:15 PM
  #21
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup
 
kingsholygrail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Derpifornia
Country: United States
Posts: 42,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 9 View Post
Let me rephrase!

Do LESS people PAY to see a game if they know the game may end in a tie? The NHL generates little or no more money while the Shootout is going on.
I don't think they're worried about arena attendance as factors like the local economy and how well a team is performing have a greater impact.

For TV viewers? I think it matters.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 06:16 PM
  #22
Dr Quincy
Registered User
 
Dr Quincy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 15,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 9 View Post
Very simple question again? Do LESS people show up today if they know the game could end up in a tie?
I answered your very simple question: Probably not.

Ok great there's your answer. So what?

Now answer my question: Do LESS people show up today if they know the game won't have icing called?

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 06:16 PM
  #23
Number 9*
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
I don't think they're worried about arena attendance as factors like the local economy and how well a team is performing have a greater impact.

For TV viewers? I think it matters.
TV viewers? If I turn it off for the Shootout what difference does it make?

Number 9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 06:17 PM
  #24
Dr Quincy
Registered User
 
Dr Quincy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 15,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 9 View Post
Teams play hockey for 65 minutes to have the game end in a situation that has ZERO to do with the previous 65 minutes.
Wouldn't an overtime goal have ZERO to do with the previous 60 minutes? A goal scored in OT would be completely independent of whatever happened in the 3 preceding periods. If that's your argument, why not eliminate OT?

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 06:19 PM
  #25
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 31,311
vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 9 View Post
Very simple question again? Do LESS people show up today if they know the game could end up in a tie?
What does this one game's attendance have to do with the shootout?

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:29 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.