HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The Shootout debate

Old
01-01-2014, 04:43 PM
Number 9*

vCash: 500
The Shootout debate

Would any less people show next Sunday if the same two teams were playing and they knew they game would NOT end in a Shootout? In other words God forbid it ended in a tie?

Number 9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 05:22 PM
Roomtemperature

I would

Roomtemperature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 05:26 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 9 View Post
Would any less people show next Sunday if the same two teams were playing and they knew they game would NOT end in a Shootout? In other words God forbid it ended in a tie?
I don't know but did you stop watching when they went from a tie to a God forbid shootout?

In other words, why bother to change back now?

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 05:33 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Shootout's a crowd pleaser. I've yet to hear a crowd not get excited for one and that includes Montreal and Toronto.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 05:38 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

A crowd gets equally excited for a T-shirt cannon. Not the highest standards you're setting there

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 05:47 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
A crowd gets equally excited for a T-shirt cannon. Not the highest standards you're setting there
The highest standard when you're running a business is $$$$$$.

The NHL doesn't want to go back to ties. Even if they consider dropping the shootout, it won't go back to ties.

Old
01-01-2014, 05:51 PM
Number 9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
The highest standard when you're running a business is $$$$$$.

The NHL doesn't want to go back to ties. Even if they consider dropping the shootout, it won't go back to ties.
So back to my original question? If these teams play next Sunday and all 100k plus know there's no chance of a SO less than .00000000001% are now going to stay home.

Old
01-01-2014, 05:52 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
So back to my original question? If these teams play next Sunday and all 100k plus know there's no chance of a SO less than .00000000001% are now going to stay home.
And none of them will stay home if there is. Your point is moot.

Old
01-01-2014, 05:54 PM
Number 9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
I don't know but did you stop watching when they went from a tie to a God forbid shootout?

In other words, why bother to change back now?
Why? If you have ask why? That not the real intent of the game! Why is this sooooo hard for people to understand?

Old
01-01-2014, 05:55 PM
Number 9*

Quote:
And none of them will stay home if there is. Your point is moot.
The point is not moot. Simple question for you? Why don't they use it in the post season?

Old
01-01-2014, 05:57 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
The point is not moot. Simple question for you? Why don't they use it in the post season?
No, it's a stupid question for me. Your question implies that the shootout somehow hurts attendance and it doesn't. However, it was notable that as far as expanding the NHL market the existence of frequent ties hurt its appeal. Again, the NHL including a great number of players does not want ties back no matter what. If that means keeping the shootout, they will. Are they considering other options? Sure.

Furthermore, you don't use shootouts in the post season the same reason you don't use ties. They're not necessary. The game goes to sudden death after 3 periods and continues until someone scores.

Old
01-01-2014, 06:04 PM
Number 9*

Quote:
No, it's a stupid question for me. Your question implies that the shootout somehow hurts attendance and it doesn't. However, it was notable that as far as expanding the NHL market the existence of frequent ties hurt its appeal. Again, the NHL including a great number of players does not want ties back no matter what. If that means keeping the shootout, they will. Are they considering other options? Sure.

Furthermore, you don't use shootouts in the post season the same reason you don't use ties. They're not necessary. The game goes to sudden death after 3 periods and continues until someone scores.
So do people come to watch a hockey game or to hope for a Shootout? In other words are less people going to show up because the game MAY end in a tie? Are more going to show up because there might be a Shootout?

Old
01-01-2014, 06:06 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
So do people come to watch a hockey game or to hope for a Shootout? In other words are less people going to show up because the game MAY end in a tie? Are more going to show up because there might be a Shootout?
You keep asking the same question looking for a new answer. Want me to quote myself?

Old
01-01-2014, 06:06 PM
c0rn1

Like I am saying since ages:
Make every game a 3pt game:
Clear regular time win: 3pt
OT or Shootout: 1pt for each + 1 pt for the winner of OT/Shootout (like it is now)
OT wins > shootout wins if there's any doubt at seasons end about position in the standings.

It is simply not logical that some games carry more worth than others (3pts in a tie vs 2 pts in a clear regular win)

c0rn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2014, 06:07 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Why? If you have ask why? That not the real intent of the game! Why is this sooooo hard for people to understand?
Oh original intent? Do you mean like how originally there were 7 players for each team on the ice? Would you like to go back to that? How about not ending a pp when a goal is scored? Or how about the original intent that disallowed passing the puck forward when in the offensive zone? Or how about going back to the original intent of allowing players to be offside?

In other words: You don't dislike the shootout because of "original intent". Plenty of changes have come in hockey over the years, and you need a better argument than "well it didn't used to be that way".

Old
01-01-2014, 06:08 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Why don't they use ties in the post season? OMG you can't have different rules in the regular and post season!!!!! Unless it's different rules you are in favor of.

Old
01-01-2014, 06:10 PM
Number 9*

Quote:
You keep asking the same question looking for a new answer. Want me to quote myself?
Let me rephrase!

Do LESS people PAY to see a game if they know the game may end in a tie? The NHL generates little or no more money while the Shootout is going on.

Old
01-01-2014, 06:12 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Let me rephrase!

Do LESS people PAY to see a game if they know the game may end in a tie? The NHL generates little or no more money while the Shootout is going on.
Who knows? Probably not an appreciable amount. So what? Nobody pays to see icing calls. Should we do away with that too? I'm not sure what point you think you are making.

Old
01-01-2014, 06:12 PM
Number 9*

Quote:
Oh original intent? Do you mean like how originally there were 7 players for each team on the ice? Would you like to go back to that? How about not ending a pp when a goal is scored? Or how about the original intent that disallowed passing the puck forward when in the offensive zone? Or how about going back to the original intent of allowing players to be offside?

In other words: You don't dislike the shootout because of "original intent". Plenty of changes have come in hockey over the years, and you need a better argument than "well it didn't used to be that way".
Very simple question again? Do LESS people show up today if they know the game could end up in a tie?

Old
01-01-2014, 06:14 PM
Number 9*

Quote:
Who knows? Probably not an appreciable amount. So what? Nobody pays to see icing calls. Should we do away with that too? I'm not sure what point you think you are making.
Teams play hockey for 65 minutes to have the game end in a situation that has ZERO to do with the previous 65 minutes.

Old
01-01-2014, 06:15 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Let me rephrase!

I don't think they're worried about arena attendance as factors like the local economy and how well a team is performing have a greater impact.

For TV viewers? I think it matters.

Old
01-01-2014, 06:16 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Very simple question again? Do LESS people show up today if they know the game could end up in a tie?
I answered your very simple question: Probably not.

Ok great there's your answer. So what?

Now answer my question: Do LESS people show up today if they know the game won't have icing called?

Old
01-01-2014, 06:16 PM
Number 9*

Quote:
I don't think they're worried about arena attendance as factors like the local economy and how well a team is performing have a greater impact.

For TV viewers? I think it matters.
TV viewers? If I turn it off for the Shootout what difference does it make?

Old
01-01-2014, 06:17 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Teams play hockey for 65 minutes to have the game end in a situation that has ZERO to do with the previous 65 minutes.
Wouldn't an overtime goal have ZERO to do with the previous 60 minutes? A goal scored in OT would be completely independent of whatever happened in the 3 preceding periods. If that's your argument, why not eliminate OT?

Old
01-01-2014, 06:19 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
What does this one game's attendance have to do with the shootout?

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote