HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Don Cherry & Coach's Corner 2013-14 Version | Part I

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-18-2013, 05:43 PM
  #276
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 95,140
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
It's easy. In European hockey it's not viewed as disgraceful to score "trick-shots" goals when the game is by all means over.

Cherry is 100% right in this one.
So a player shouldn't score with any skill?

Great, lets have boring goals. The fact that the Hertl goal has ended up with such discussion is sad.

Shrimper is offline  
Old
10-18-2013, 09:29 PM
  #277
Epsilon
#TeamHolland
 
Epsilon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: South Cackalacky
Posts: 58,895
vCash: 500
Cherry's a bigoted moron, and what's funny is that his fans try to play the "why are you offended, it's just entertainment!" or "I like that Cherry will just speak his mind!" cards (and related rationalizations), but if you criticize him or stuff that he does they get all ********** over it, such as his troops/law-enforcement fetish. All it shows is that their real agenda is to agree with anything he says and get upset at anyone who states a differing opinion to his/theirs.

Epsilon is online now  
Old
10-19-2013, 03:33 AM
  #278
5150
in on the beat
 
5150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
Cherry's a bigoted moron, and what's funny is that his fans try to play the "why are you offended, it's just entertainment!" or "I like that Cherry will just speak his mind!" cards (and related rationalizations), but if you criticize him or stuff that he does they get all ********** over it, such as his troops/law-enforcement fetish. All it shows is that their real agenda is to agree with anything he says and get upset at anyone who states a differing opinion to his/theirs.
we dont care what you think of don

it would be like you caring what we have to say about terry bradshaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas W View Post
While Cherry really is a senile embarrasing old clown, it's pretty refreshing to have someone with unpolished views sometimes. It adds something "real" to mainstream media somehow. On boards/commentary fields it's not as refreshing.
stick to soccer kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
What? Most people dislike Cherry because he's a biggot
canada loves don cherry thats all that matters.


Last edited by 5150: 10-19-2013 at 03:38 AM.
5150 is offline  
Old
10-19-2013, 03:58 AM
  #279
Hobnobs
Pinko
 
Hobnobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 5,118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150 View Post
canada loves don cherry thats all that matters.
Yea, thats why the rating plummets when coaches corner is on.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle4243219/

Canada doesn't love Cherry, biggots do.

Hobnobs is offline  
Old
10-19-2013, 04:33 AM
  #280
Pepper
Registered User
 
Pepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 14,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
Yea, thats why the rating plummets when coaches corner is on.
Does that happen because of CC or despite it? How much does Hot Stove draw compared to CC?

Pepper is offline  
Old
10-19-2013, 06:26 AM
  #281
TheStranger
Registered User
 
TheStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
Does that happen because of CC or despite it? How much does Hot Stove draw compared to CC?
Read the article... But anyway long story short more people held their **** to watch Cherry than the Hotstove by a few hundred thousand.

TheStranger is offline  
Old
10-19-2013, 06:27 AM
  #282
TheStranger
Registered User
 
TheStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
Yea, thats why the rating plummets when coaches corner is on.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle4243219/
Canada doesn't love Cherry, biggots do.
Based on the numbers about 75% of hnic viewers are bigots then

TheStranger is offline  
Old
10-19-2013, 09:07 AM
  #283
Dosing
Registered User
 
Dosing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Edenryd
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,614
vCash: 500
mm..

Dosing is offline  
Old
10-19-2013, 09:51 AM
  #284
pcruz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Vaughan
Country: Portugal
Posts: 1,730
vCash: 500
I wanted to refrain from posting because the last time I did, I was given a warning. I called someone out for posting a quote from Don Cherry that was exactly the opposite of what he actually said.

Then again, most of the people who dislike the guy don't understand what he's saying and their internal filters block the actual messages.

I'm European, soccer is my first sports love, and will always be. However, I can differentiate between what is classy and respectful in soccer and what is classy and respectful in hockey. Sometimes its different. Sometimes it's not.

I have been in sports tournaments where my team blows out the opposition 10+ - 0. I have also been in some horribly lopsided games against (9-1, etc).

I can relate to the feeling of watching the other team running up the score. That's frustrating, but if they score, turn around and get ready for the game to resume, it's frustrating that we let them score. If they start celebrating like they just won the tournament after scoring the 10-1 goal, it makes you angry as well as frustrated.

When I'm on a team that destroys another team and the players start going crazy with their celebrations, I tend to tell them to calm down. It's not to decrease the fun of scoring, but to not show up the other team.

That is what Don Cherry was saying. As for his comment about Czechs and not knowing better, the only thing anyone has to say to dismiss that comment is that Don doesn't live in that part of the world, so he has no idea what the coaches and players teach there.

Don Cherry knows hockey. More specifically, he knows North American hockey. More specifically still, he knows Canadian hockey. He knows it better than anyone else, and his work with kids has been a major force in helping them reach for the goal of making it to the NHL. Knowing this, is it really a surprise that Don Cherry talks up Canadian hockey, you know, the thing he knows best?

pcruz is offline  
Old
10-19-2013, 09:57 AM
  #285
pcruz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Vaughan
Country: Portugal
Posts: 1,730
vCash: 500
Actually, one more thought. Another way Don harps on about class is in dress. Not his own, but the dress of the pro athlete on his/her way into the arena. When basketball players come into the arena, they are dressed up in sweats, touques, big sunglasses, monstrous headphones, etc.

When hockey players come in dressed up in nice, simple suits, Don makes it a point to show it on his segment.

Small thing, but it's the small things that people notice. Ever try and walk into a job interview dressed up like LeBron James walks into the arena? The recruiter will look at you and ignore everything you say.

It's all about little life lessons from Cherry, and when you guys grow up and have kids of your own, you'll likely end up trying to instill the same kind of values in the kids that Don talks about every week.

pcruz is offline  
Old
10-19-2013, 10:14 AM
  #286
Bill McNeal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,789
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcruz View Post
Actually, one more thought. Another way Don harps on about class is in dress. Not his own, but the dress of the pro athlete on his/her way into the arena. When basketball players come into the arena, they are dressed up in sweats, touques, big sunglasses, monstrous headphones, etc.

When hockey players come in dressed up in nice, simple suits, Don makes it a point to show it on his segment.

Small thing, but it's the small things that people notice. Ever try and walk into a job interview dressed up like LeBron James walks into the arena? The recruiter will look at you and ignore everything you say.

It's all about little life lessons from Cherry, and when you guys grow up and have kids of your own, you'll likely end up trying to instill the same kind of values in the kids that Don talks about every week.
Pretty sure the NBA has had a pre and post game dress code for a while now. Stricter than the NHL's if I'm not mistaken.

And try to go to a job interview dressed like Don Cherry, see what that gets you.

Bill McNeal is offline  
Old
10-19-2013, 10:19 AM
  #287
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 95,140
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
Yea, thats why the rating plummets when coaches corner is on.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle4243219/

Canada doesn't love Cherry, biggots do.
Actually, in the past few years ratings go up during the break when Coaches Corner is on. Heard it on the Steve Dangle podcast and as they said it's an anomaly throughout TV in the World.

Recently though people might be turning off due to his antics though. Wouldn't be surprised.

Shrimper is offline  
Old
10-19-2013, 10:23 AM
  #288
PanthersPens62
Faces of the NHL
 
PanthersPens62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Uncle Gary's House
Country: United States
Posts: 9,744
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
Pretty sure the NBA has had a pre and post game dress code for a while now. Stricter than the NHL's if I'm not mistaken.

And try to go to a job interview dressed like Don Cherry, see what that gets you.
Don Cherry dresses like that for entertainment purposes only. He would cringe if any NHL player dressed like he does.

I just want to thank PCruz for his well thought out posts. It's nice to see that some of our European posters understand the lessons Grapes is trying to teach the kids.

PanthersPens62 is offline  
Old
10-19-2013, 10:55 AM
  #289
jkrx
Registered User
 
jkrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcruz View Post
I wanted to refrain from posting because the last time I did, I was given a warning. I called someone out for posting a quote from Don Cherry that was exactly the opposite of what he actually said.

Then again, most of the people who dislike the guy don't understand what he's saying and their internal filters block the actual messages.

I'm European, soccer is my first sports love, and will always be. However, I can differentiate between what is classy and respectful in soccer and what is classy and respectful in hockey. Sometimes its different. Sometimes it's not.

I have been in sports tournaments where my team blows out the opposition 10+ - 0. I have also been in some horribly lopsided games against (9-1, etc).

I can relate to the feeling of watching the other team running up the score. That's frustrating, but if they score, turn around and get ready for the game to resume, it's frustrating that we let them score. If they start celebrating like they just won the tournament after scoring the 10-1 goal, it makes you angry as well as frustrated.

When I'm on a team that destroys another team and the players start going crazy with their celebrations, I tend to tell them to calm down. It's not to decrease the fun of scoring, but to not show up the other team.

That is what Don Cherry was saying. As for his comment about Czechs and not knowing better, the only thing anyone has to say to dismiss that comment is that Don doesn't live in that part of the world, so he has no idea what the coaches and players teach there.

Don Cherry knows hockey. More specifically, he knows North American hockey. More specifically still, he knows Canadian hockey. He knows it better than anyone else, and his work with kids has been a major force in helping them reach for the goal of making it to the NHL. Knowing this, is it really a surprise that Don Cherry talks up Canadian hockey, you know, the thing he knows best?
Don Cherry knows a lot about trivial things in hockey and sometimes he knows something important (like keeping your stick on the ice) but most of these things are things bantam coaches know and teach. Don Cherry's knowledge about hockey is not much to brag about. He played the sport for a long time and also did the exact opposite of what he preaches. He was the Sean Avery of his time, or Matt Cooke.

The things he says on TV now makes me and the rest of the old guard who watched or played with or against him cringe. He were pretty outspoken about blacks and jews then and most likely still are. That's why Zeidel smacked him in the late '60s.

jkrx is offline  
Old
10-19-2013, 11:04 AM
  #290
beauchamp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Laval, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150 View Post
we dont care what you think of don
(...)
Is that a royal "We"?

If not, what gives you the right to speak for everyone else?

And if you don't care what he thinks of don, why did you feel the need to comment on his comment?

Come on, admit it, you care...

beauchamp is offline  
Old
10-19-2013, 11:05 AM
  #291
beauchamp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Laval, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
Based on the numbers about 75% of hnic viewers are bigots then
... or slow down to look at the scene of an accident...

beauchamp is offline  
Old
10-19-2013, 11:12 AM
  #292
Epsilon
#TeamHolland
 
Epsilon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: South Cackalacky
Posts: 58,895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150 View Post
we dont care what you think of don

it would be like you caring what we have to say about terry bradshaw
First of all, you don't speak for all Canadians, so stop pretending that you do.

Second of all, if you don't think there are plenty of Canadians who have opinions about NFL, NCAA, NBA, and other sports commentators, you must live a pretty sheltered sports life and/or not visit any of the non-hockey forums on this very board.

Quote:
stick to soccer kid
"Kid".

I suppose you know that poster's age?


Quote:
canada loves don cherry thats all that matters.
I'm Canadian, and you certainly don't speak for me and there's many other Canadians out there who are embarrassed by Cherry's bigotry and buffoonery.

Epsilon is online now  
Old
10-19-2013, 11:12 AM
  #293
Bill McNeal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,789
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersPens62 View Post
Don Cherry dresses like that for entertainment purposes only. He would cringe if any NHL player dressed like he does.

I just want to thank PCruz for his well thought out posts. It's nice to see that some of our European posters understand the lessons Grapes is trying to teach the kids.
He dresses like that to stand out from his peers. Same reason young athletes like to dress flamboyantly.

Bill McNeal is offline  
Old
10-19-2013, 11:15 AM
  #294
beauchamp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Laval, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
(...)
I'm Canadian, and you certainly don't speak for me and there's many other Canadians out there who are embarrassed by Cherry's bigotry and buffoonery.
His buffoonery I can live with.

His bigotry, on the other hand, is impossible to accept.

beauchamp is offline  
Old
10-19-2013, 01:08 PM
  #295
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser
 
Sartorial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,127
vCash: 500
My favorite post in this thread is the "stick to soccer" one.

The connotations aren't flattering.

That aside, I'm glad Don's on the air. He's very entertaining.

Sartorial is offline  
Old
10-19-2013, 01:54 PM
  #296
Darren Peng
Nang
 
Darren Peng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 71,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
So a player shouldn't score with any skill?

Great, lets have boring goals. The fact that the Hertl goal has ended up with such discussion is sad.
Don Cherry probably wants boring goals. Exciting goals attract casual American fans in new markets and he's the sort of person who thinks "hockey is Canada's game"

Darren Peng is offline  
Old
10-19-2013, 02:00 PM
  #297
TheStranger
Registered User
 
TheStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propane Nightmares View Post
Don Cherry probably wants boring goals. Exciting goals attract casual American fans in new markets and he's the sort of person who thinks "hockey is Canada's game"
Love affair with the Bruins, thinks Canada should be the only country with teams.

Sounds like you know what you're talking about, bravo.

TheStranger is offline  
Old
10-19-2013, 02:28 PM
  #298
Hobnobs
Pinko
 
Hobnobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 5,118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
Love affair with the Bruins, thinks Canada should be the only country with teams.

Sounds like you know what you're talking about, bravo.
Boston is a new market? Sound like you have reading difficulties

Hobnobs is offline  
Old
10-19-2013, 02:41 PM
  #299
TheStranger
Registered User
 
TheStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
Boston is a new market? Sound like you have reading difficulties
So he thinks Hockey should only be canada's game, unless it's a place that has had hockey a long time. Interesting.

TheStranger is offline  
Old
10-19-2013, 02:50 PM
  #300
Hobnobs
Pinko
 
Hobnobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 5,118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
So he thinks Hockey should only be canada's game, unless it's a place that has had hockey a long time. Interesting.
I think you are taking "canadas game" too literal.

Hobnobs is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:30 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.