HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Don Cherry & Coach's Corner 2013-14 Version | Part I

Closed Thread

Old
10-19-2013, 02:52 PM
Shrimper
WinItFor#58

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
Love affair with the Bruins, thinks Canada should be the only country with teams.

Sounds like you know what you're talking about, bravo.
He has more of a love affair with the Leafs if you ask me.

He champions them and other Canadian players/teams wherever he can.

Old
10-19-2013, 02:56 PM
pcruz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
He dresses like that to stand out from his peers. Same reason young athletes like to dress flamboyantly.
Sadly, those same young athletes feel the need to stand out prior to and after participating in their sport. The reason for that is that their on-ice/on-the-court/on-field performance is not noteworthy. Find me a player who stands out during the run of play and I will show you a person who could dress in the most plain manner and blend in with the crowd and still stand out in the mind of the coaches, managers, general managers, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propane Nightmares View Post
Don Cherry probably wants boring goals. Exciting goals attract casual American fans in new markets and he's the sort of person who thinks "hockey is Canada's game"
You say that only because you don't actually watch Coaches Corner. If you did, you would note that Don has massive respect and admiration for the skilled players and the skilled and beautiful goals.

However, he has a much greater appreciation for people acting with dignity and class than he does for incredible talent. The funny thing is, one could be extremely talented and do incredible things during the run of play and act with dignity. Those kinds of people are the role models that Don Cherry tells kids all over Canada to act like.

You might want to look up people like Sakic, Yzerman, Gretzky, Gilmour, Orr, etc, etc...

Those guys were plugs.

Quote:
Love affair with the Bruins, thinks Canada should be the only country with teams.

Sounds like you know what you're talking about, bravo.
Well, to be fair, his love affair with Boston might have something to do with having coached there, and having had the pleasure and privilege of coaching one Bobby Orr.

I'm sure he feels the exact same way about hockey markets such as Phoenix, Tampa, Sunrise, Atlanta, Raleigh and San Jose as I do, and as millions of people do. Including millions of people in those "hockey" markets themselves.

There might be something to that belief. Maybe the fact that the Canadian markets make up an overwhelming majority of revenue despite being less than 1/4 of total markets.

Old
10-19-2013, 03:25 PM
Pepper

Quote:
Read the article... But anyway long story short more people held their piss to watch Cherry than the Hotstove by a few hundred thousand.
Yep, my bad. I like Hot Stove a lot (well, I love HNIC show in general, to me it's the best sports production in the world, BBC's F1 comes close.) but I guess the numbers tell the story.

And if CC's numbers are dropping while Cherry has been toning down his "bigotism", what does that tell us?

Old
10-19-2013, 04:36 PM
Propane Nightmares
Sinister Rouge

How does one define "class"

It's subjective

Old
10-19-2013, 05:10 PM
BobDobolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcruz View Post
Actually, one more thought. Another way Don harps on about class is in dress. Not his own, but the dress of the pro athlete on his/her way into the arena. When basketball players come into the arena, they are dressed up in sweats, touques, big sunglasses, monstrous headphones, etc.

When hockey players come in dressed up in nice, simple suits, Don makes it a point to show it on his segment.

Small thing, but it's the small things that people notice. Ever try and walk into a job interview dressed up like LeBron James walks into the arena? The recruiter will look at you and ignore everything you say.

It's all about little life lessons from Cherry, and when you guys grow up and have kids of your own, you'll likely end up trying to instill the same kind of values in the kids that Don talks about every week.
Is his bigotry towards people from other countries one of those values and little life lessons he trying to teach the kids?

Old
10-19-2013, 05:14 PM
pcruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post
Is his bigotry towards people from other countries one of those values and little life lessions he trying to teach the kids?
Out of curiosity, can you define bigot? Bigotry. And then please provide me with some (at least a couple) examples of Don Cherry being a bigot.

I'm assuming that many people don't know what a bigot is, and therefore can't actually provide examples of bigotry in relation to Don Cherry.

Hey, the guy has a lot of flaws, and he certainly rubs everyone the wrong way in certain things he says. So does every single other person on the planet.

Old
10-19-2013, 05:17 PM
BobDobolina

Quote:
Out of curiosity, can you define bigot? Bigotry. And then please provide me with some (at least a couple) examples of Don Cherry being a bigot.

I'm assuming that many people don't know what a bigot is, and therefore can't actually provide examples of bigotry in relation to Don Cherry.

Hey, the guy has a lot of flaws, and he certainly rubs everyone the wrong way in certain things he says. So does every single other person on the planet.
Sure thing, straight from the horse's mouth:

Quote:
During the 2002 Olympics in Salt Lake City, two Russian cross-country skiers, Larissa Lazutina and Olga Danilova, tested positive for Darbepoetin (increases red blood cells) and were disqualified. Don Cherry weighed in on the incident, saying, "I've been trying to tell you for so long about the Russians. What kind of people they are and you just love them in Canada with your multiculturalism." After the Olympics, Cherry addressed his comments on Coach's Corner and said "I don't regret one word I said "¦ I meant every word of it."

Old
10-19-2013, 05:47 PM
pcruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post
Sure thing, straight from the horse's mouth:
So basically, you found a single quote of Cherry talking about Russians after 2 had been caught cheating?

Well, first of all generalizing a nation and its citizens is wrong. However, the ones in question were cheating, and it's not exactly a nation where "liberal values" are readily accepted. You may have heard that some countries (USA, Canada, etc) were contemplating a boycott of this winter's Olympic games.

As much as I disagree with the blanket statement regarding Russians, we're not exactly talking about the Swiss either.

Old
10-19-2013, 06:05 PM
BobDobolina

Quote:
So basically, you found a single quote of Cherry talking about Russians after 2 had been caught cheating?
That's a quote of somebody who's been disrespecting players from other countries in various ways for a living for decades, now explicitly admitting his own xenophobia and bigotry. Don't know what other evidence one could possibly need.

Old
10-19-2013, 06:34 PM
Propane Nightmares
Sinister Rouge

Quote:

Well, first of all generalizing a nation and its citizens is wrong. However, the ones in question were cheating, and it's not exactly a nation where "liberal values" are readily accepted. You may have heard that some countries (USA, Canada, etc) were contemplating a boycott of this winter's Olympic games.

As much as I disagree with the blanket statement regarding Russians, we're not exactly talking about the Swiss either.
Not by politicians, no

But you know nothing about the ordinary people, Jon Snow

Old
10-19-2013, 06:53 PM
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propane Nightmares View Post
Not by politicians, no

But you know nothing about the ordinary people, Jon Snow
Russians in general are very conservative (and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that), the popularity of their politicians just reflect that.

Old
10-19-2013, 06:56 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

"you're all eyes man"

Old
10-19-2013, 07:05 PM
HarrisonFord
LA Kings Bandwagon

ONTARIO BOYS is the theme of tonight's Coaches Corner

Old
10-19-2013, 07:05 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

The guys from Ontario bit was so cheesy.

Old
10-19-2013, 07:13 PM
Hal 9000*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
The guys from Ontario bit was so cheesy.
Why?

Old
10-19-2013, 07:13 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
You bet the rest of the country is ticked off. I thought the Habs were also playing tonight. Not a word about them.

Old
10-19-2013, 07:15 PM
Coldplay
Courage

"10 Reasons why the Leafs are better".

I think I just threw up.

Old
10-19-2013, 07:18 PM
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKing View Post
You bet the rest of the country is ticked off. I thought the Habs were also playing tonight. Not a word about them.
Funny, normally the Habs nation is up in arms after Cherry says anything about them.

Old
10-19-2013, 07:22 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
Funny, normally the Habs nation is up in arms after Cherry says anything about them.
The times I remember Cherry talking about the Habs, he was praising Subban, Price and Gallagher so I'm not sure what you're reffering to.
edit: except calling Eller as soft as a danish cookie

Old
10-19-2013, 07:23 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
I know what the answer to this post is, but I'm going to make the point anyways

One thing Cherry mentioned was that ok, was that you need players who want to come home to play for you, such as good ol' Ontario boys who want to play for the Maple Leafs.

But then he goes on a Twitter rant over the summer about how the Hurricanes and Stars draft Europeans in the Top 10. The talent pool isn't quite as deep in North Carolina.

Old
10-19-2013, 07:28 PM
pcruz

So, is nobody going to mention the fact that Grapes talked about a part of the rink that is unsafe, 7 years ago? The same part of the rink that knocked out a damn good player just this past week.

Old
10-19-2013, 07:34 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post
Why?
How are the Leafs magically better because they have guys from Ontario on the roster? I think a couple of Americans and a guy from Alberta have been pretty important too and a French Canadian goal tender.

Old
10-19-2013, 07:38 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
So, is nobody going to mention the fact that Grapes talked about a part of the rink that is unsafe, 7 years ago? The same part of the rink that knocked out a damn good player just this past week.
He has to be right once in a rare while.

Even a stopped clock... (you know the rest)

Old
10-19-2013, 07:41 PM
Ewan McGregor

vCash: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKing View Post
You have RDS all to yourself.

Old
10-19-2013, 07:42 PM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
How are the Leafs magically better because they have guys from Ontario on the roster? I think a couple of Americans and a guy from Alberta have been pretty important too and a French Canadian goal tender.
Our water is polluted giving us super human strength?

Closed Thread