HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Don Cherry & Coach's Corner 2013-14 Version | Part I

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2013, 12:19 AM
BobDobolina

vCash: 504
Quote:
"I played 18 years in the NHL and when people talk about 'the code' I still have no idea what the hell they are talking about," says former NHL player and coach Rick Tocchet.
Quote:
"If I got in a fight with a guy, it depended on who it was and what he had done to me, but I would hit a guy when he was down," Tocchet says. "I fought a guy once who gouged me in the eye and you're damn right I hit him when he was down. I would do the same thing today, so there's no code there."
Quote:
"I don't care if a player does a triple Salchow after scoring in most instances," he says. "Or you can do summersaults, it doesn't matter to me. The object of the game is to score goals.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hoc...mon-sense.html

But let's not listen to these message board heroes pretending to know anything when we have a real hockey person right here who can tell us how it is. I mean it's not like anyone else has played competitive hockey around here.

Old
12-10-2013, 11:49 AM
SethJonestownMassacr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post

But let's not listen to these message board heroes pretending to know anything when we have a real hockey person right here who can tell us how it is. I mean it's not like anyone else has played competitive hockey around here.
Not saying I agree with the other message board 'heroes' but that is one example of one player saying there is/was no code. I'm sure there are many players from his era and from previous ones that you could find saying that there is a code.

I can buy into the fact that there may have been a code, but who knows if it was bought into/followed by more than a fraction of players. Not sure if I buy that there is much of a code now, unless the code is to fight anyone who delivers a big hit (even if clean).
Hearing Kypreos talk about the code makes me sometimes think it's just a thing fringe NHL fighters/bottom sixers like to romanticize because it makes them seem like they had a huge role in hockey. He was talking about it on Hockey Central at noon a bit today, and it sounds like whatever code he followed was just used to make sure star players can play like it's a non contact league.

Old
12-13-2013, 09:33 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThreat View Post
Not saying I agree with the other message board 'heroes' but that is one example of one player saying there is/was no code. I'm sure there are many players from his era and from previous ones that you could find saying that there is a code.

I can buy into the fact that there may have been a code, but who knows if it was bought into/followed by more than a fraction of players. Not sure if I buy that there is much of a code now, unless the code is to fight anyone who delivers a big hit (even if clean).
Hearing Kypreos talk about the code makes me sometimes think it's just a thing fringe NHL fighters/bottom sixers like to romanticize because it makes them seem like they had a huge role in hockey. He was talking about it on Hockey Central at noon a bit today, and it sounds like whatever code he followed was just used to make sure star players can play like it's a non contact league.
If there is no code, why do guys often fight each other, give each other a tap to indicate it is over, and then pat each other?

Code.

Quote:

Ask a player sometime what they think of Rick Tocchet as a human being.

Old
12-13-2013, 09:54 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
If there is no code, why do guys often fight each other, give each other a tap to indicate it is over, and then pat each other?

Code. (...)
What you've just described is not part of a code in the sense of code of honour.

It's more like a code in the sense of decoding a message.

Old
12-13-2013, 11:40 PM
Shockmaster

Actually the code just seems like an excuse to keep goons and enforcers in the league when otherwise they bring nothing to the game of hockey.

Old
12-14-2013, 12:49 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Code is not going for a guy's knee, not pulling hair in a fight, not shoving a win in the other guy's face or over-celebrating to the extent where it makes the other team want to punch you in the head. Code is not mocking a team when they are losing badly (unless they start acting like donkeys, then they deserve what they get). Code is not running the other team's goalie. Code is keeping your toughest players off the ice in the last minute when I throw out some of my smaller players. Code is not playing your number one pp unit in a game that is almost over and out of reach already. Code is me talking smack up to a point but not crossing the line, like talking about your deceased kid or brother.

If these things don't make sense to you, don't pretend you played competitive hockey in a league with any credibility, because current and former hockey players from Canada (I can't speak for the rest of the world) on here won't believe you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
What you've just described is not part of a code in the sense of code of honour.

It's more like a code in the sense of decoding a message.
It's both.

Old
12-14-2013, 07:04 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
"Don't be dummies playing the boards!"

Old
12-14-2013, 07:06 PM
officeglen

he really liked that jacket, merry xmas!

Old
12-14-2013, 07:33 PM
PanthersPens62
#KidK

Knew he'd take a little shot at Burkie. Just because "Cal-GARY" won a couple games before the move was made did NOT mean they were playing "great hockey". But hey, just because I did not agree with most of what he said tonight does not mean I like him any less. He calls it as he sees it & I like that about him.

Old
12-14-2013, 07:37 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
This is the Don Cherry that I can like and respect. He should really stop his anti-french and anti-European ways and just talk about hockey and the game itself.

I don't necessary agree with him on this subject, but I understand his point of view.

Old
12-14-2013, 07:55 PM
bobermay

Totally agreed with Cherry tonight.... I remember last year when Lupul got Concussed, he put all the blame on himself saying that he put himself in a vulnerable position, and that he has learned his lesson.

Old
12-14-2013, 08:07 PM
pcruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersPens62 View Post
Knew he'd take a little shot at Burkie. Just because "Cal-GARY" won a couple games before the move was made did NOT mean they were playing "great hockey". But hey, just because I did not agree with most of what he said tonight does not mean I like him any less. He calls it as he sees it & I like that about him.

As much as I respect Burke for his talents, it was completely unnecessary to fire Feaster and the assistant GM. Calgary had 0 expectations this season. In fact, the worse they played, the better. But knowing the friction between Cherry and Burke, it was plain to see that there would have to be a comment on how unnecessary that move was.

As for Cherry's other comments, they are exactly the same as the messages he has been preaching since I can remember him back in the mid 90's.

Keep your head up.
Make sure you're aware of who is on the ice and where they are at all times.
Don't put yourself in a vulnerable position where it could lead to a serious injury.
If you take a run at another player, be prepared to answer for it.
If you see a player in a vulnerable position, stop!

All of these are base points for Cherry's messages.

Old
12-14-2013, 08:56 PM
chethejet

Don Cherry and his fellow cement heads will simply never accept that hockey is a skill game and not a battlefield. No one every bought a ticket to see Milbury play.

Old
12-14-2013, 09:01 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by chethejet View Post
Don Cherry and his fellow cement heads will simply never accept that hockey is a skill game and not a battlefield. No one every bought a ticket to see Milbury play.
Oh, do tell us all about the game of hockey and how people who played it don't know what it is about!

Old
12-14-2013, 10:16 PM
Kevin Malone

Quote:

Rick Tocchet wouldn't know class if it walked right past him. He went to the Claude Lemuiex school of hockey when it came to codes.

Old
12-14-2013, 10:58 PM
Smokey McCanucks

So is Don really retiring? Looked like he was cut pretty bad there, I think that's four minutes for the microphone guy.

Old
12-14-2013, 11:01 PM
Smokey McCanucks

"The Code" is just playground rules, basically. It sure as hell ain't actually codified or anything.

Old
12-15-2013, 11:58 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Cherry here was defending the fighter and calling out the hitters. He even said alright you don't want to fight after a "dirty" hit, you're gonna get 20 games so guys don't hit like that.

But again why do you have to fight after a hit? Gainey was one of the hardest hitters and barely fought. It used to be, you're hit, you hate that hit, what you do is take the player's number and later in the game, you give a good retribution hit. That's it.

Old
12-15-2013, 01:51 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Cherry here was defending the fighter and calling out the hitters. He even said alright you don't want to fight after a "dirty" hit, you're gonna get 20 games so guys don't hit like that.

But again why do you have to fight after a hit? Gainey was one of the hardest hitters and barely fought. It used to be, you're hit, you hate that hit, what you do is take the player's number and later in the game, you give a good retribution hit. That's it.
I reject the notion that someone has to fight after a clean hit. But if you throw a dirty one, or one where you clearly exploit someone's vulnerability (even with a legal hit), you shouldn't run and hide either. It's called being a man and not a ******.

Of course there is no obligation to fight. But then be prepared to be called a pansy for the rest of your career, because that is exactly what you are.

If we are talking about Orpik, it is worth it to note I am a Pens fan, not a Boston fan.

Old
12-15-2013, 06:34 PM
Strangelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
They are more of a guideline.
Yar.

Old
12-15-2013, 07:54 PM
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser

Quote:
I reject the notion that someone has to fight after a clean hit. But if you throw a dirty one, or one where you clearly exploit someone's vulnerability (even with a legal hit), you shouldn't run and hide either. It's called being a man and not a ******.

Of course there is no obligation to fight. But then be prepared to be called a pansy for the rest of your career, because that is exactly what you are.

If we are talking about Orpik, it is worth it to note I am a Pens fan, not a Boston fan.
Can we PLEASE cut this crap? Why must one insist that retribution in the form of a fistfight is manly?

And then, why is someone a pansy if they don't want to punch someone in the head?

This macho-man thinking really goes against everything we know about mental and physical well being (by which I'm mainly referring to neuroscience).

Old
12-15-2013, 08:01 PM
jeangauthier

vCash: 535
Being a rumour I don`t think it`s thread worthy and not knowing where I could post this .........but apparently Claude Julien gave Marchant an earful for his antics in last night`s game.............any else here of this?

Old
12-16-2013, 03:37 AM
jkrx

Quote:
Oh, do tell us all about the game of hockey and how people who played it don't know what it is about!
The poster you replied to is right. Don Cherry thinks the expansion goon hockey is the way the game has always been played which isn't remotely right. You don't ssem to know much about hockey either since you think the same way.

Old
12-16-2013, 03:56 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:

Wouldn't this kind of "being a man" rationality best apply to taking a clean hit like a man and moving on?

Old
12-16-2013, 10:53 AM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

Cherry was on the money regarding Brooks Orpick/Thornton situation.

Closed Thread